Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 pm 

I couldn't find a thread for this yet, but Alestorm's got a new album coming out next month (August 1 in Europe, August 4 in UK, and August 5 in North America).

So far they've released one song, "Drink", which is completely awesome. It seems to get catchier on each listen.

I'm hoping (guessing?) promos will roll out in the next week or so. I actually expected Alestorm to be boring by now, if only because all of their material is pretty similar, but this song really raised my hopes for the album. Between this album, the new Striker, and the new Crimson Shadows, Napalm Records is going to have a solid couple of months in August/September!

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 pm 

Love this band!!!!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:53 pm 

I thought that Back Through Time was musically a step up for them. For the most part, I enjoy the gimmick, but sometimes it gets a little ridiculous (like the cover of "You are a Pirate"). Based on the teaser video, it seems like the upcoming album with be similar to Back Through Time. I will check it out and probably end up enjoying it.

Here is the preview video.

And I agree that the chorus to Drink is catchy as fuck. I found myself singing it for days after my first listen.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 pm 

I'll definitely be giving this a listen. I found Drink ridiculous but enjoyable.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:11 am 

Hatman wrote:
I'll definitely be giving this a listen. I found Drink ridiculous but enjoyable.

The same here, I cant take this song very seriously but its funny as fuck, not the same style but it reminds me some Korplikianii songs like Beer,Beer or Vodka.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:52 am 

Well it certainly sounds good. I was a little underwhelmed with Back Through Time, despite it being more of the same really. Not a huge fan of the gang-vocals though, I think Christopher sounds better on his own, but it's a minor complaint. I'll probably pick it up when it's released.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 pm 

This band in their 3 albums have only been getting better, more serious, and less gimmicky. Though I am still excited for this album, Drink seemed incredibly boring and plain to me. Hopefully the rest is better.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:47 pm 

I just hope we get another epic length song like Death Throes of the Terrorsquid on this album. I think it's pretty universally regarded as their single best song, so more of that would be definitely welcomed.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:13 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I just hope we get another epic length song like Death Throes of the Terrorsquid on this album. I think it's pretty universally regarded as their single best song, so more of that would be definitely welcomed.

Another epic would definitely be a good choice. I don't know if I would say it's universally their best song. I find that each of their albums have 3-4 songs that are way better than everything else on the album, but I have a hard time picking between any of those songs for my favourite. Some days I like Death Throes the best, and other days I like Keelhauled, The Quest, or Captain Morgan's Revenge.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:55 pm 

It sounds like the Dropkick Murphys. Meh.....

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:31 pm 

Has anybody ever told you that you're really not smart?

Also, the Archives say that there are two epic length songs on the album, those being 1741 and the title track, the latter of which is 11 minutes long. Consider my interest in this album to be up a little bit.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:24 pm 

Yeah, I'm REALLY reaching with my observation.

Alestorm's music is an empty beer can. It goes in the recycle bin.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm 

^^Great words from a Sabaton fanboy! :roll:

Like your reviews?

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:53 pm 

Don't forget Judas Priest fanboy, Thin Lizzy fanboy, Motorhead fanboy, Accept fanboy, Hail of Bullets fanboy and King Diamond fanboy!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 pm 

alestorm is just so.... void of substance. that "drink" video is a perfect example of it: it's upbeat, loud, catchy.... yet it's got nothin' at the same time. i saw them at a festival a few years back and they were entertaining enough for half an hour while i was drunk, but i couldn't sit through an album when i got home. they're pretty popular, so they're obviously doing *something* right, but i can't see it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm 

Turner wrote:
alestorm is just so.... void of substance. that "drink" video is a perfect example of it: it's upbeat, loud, catchy.... yet it's got nothin' at the same time. i saw them at a festival a few years back and they were entertaining enough for half an hour while i was drunk, but i couldn't sit through an album when i got home. they're pretty popular, so they're obviously doing *something* right, but i can't see it.

About sums up my view; even back when I was balls-deep in folk metal phase I never found their albums had enough sticking power to warrant multiple spins outside a track or two (Keelhauled and That Famous Old Spiced were pretty good.) I think it's partially because Bowes' half-growl/half-speaking voice doesn't sit well with me by falling in a sort of middling grey zone between the two styles - too "angry" for clean singing but not "gritty" enough for growled vocals. Kind of a shame, because having interacted with him on the boards (used to post here as LordOminous) he seems like a really good guy with a lot of drive (he's also a fellow synth freak) so I wish I had more interest in following his music.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:35 pm 

He used to come here every so often, but he hasn't posted in over a year. Hell, his profile says he hasn't even been online since last August.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Also, the Archives say that there are two epic length songs on the album, those being 1741 and the title track, the latter of which is 11 minutes long. Consider my interest in this album to be up a little bit.

I really look forward to hearing 1741 in its entirety. Out of all of the songs in the preview video, that one really caught my attention.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm 

I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time I've heard an Alestorm song, and I'm not impressed in the least, as that was basically an excuse to throw a dumb chorus in my face. No substance, no good hooks and not a single interesting or fun melody to be found there, not to mention some of the dullest power metal vocals I've heard this side of Joakim Brodén. Blegh.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:25 pm 

I just finished listening to it, and it's definitely good, though I don't think it is their strongest album.

"Drink" is my favourite track, primarily because it is the most obviously catchy song. "Sunset On The Golden Age" also has a great chorus, and has some interesting things going on, but I don't think it justifies the 11.5 minute playtime (particularly because the last minute and a half isn't too interesting). "Hangover" is a wicked ballad type track. I think a lot of people will dislike it, but I thought it was good. The only issue is that the vocals get really annoying on one of the verses because there is a weird rapping style used (it's not really rap, but I don't know how to describe it). I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it definitely ruined an otherwise great song. "Walk The Plank" starts off very similar to "The Quest", but eventually evolves into a more standard metal track. This is another highlight.

One thing I noticed about the album as a whole is that it is much more folk-oriented than their other works. Nearly every song features one of those keyboard/drums/bass breakdowns that is very folky. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't listen to a lot of folk metal, so it is certainly different for me. Also, the guitar solos on this album are probably the best they've ever been for the band. A bit flashier, but also more interesting.

I'm sure the album will grow on me, as all of their albums have done. It is certainly one of their more consistent albums.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:44 pm 

Not as horrible as I thought it would be. Still, I'd have to be in an amazingly good mood (which would probably mean fairly drunk, which I suppose is the point here) to actually enjoy listening to it. No way am I getting through a full album, though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time I've heard an Alestorm song, and I'm not impressed in the least, as that was basically an excuse to throw a dumb chorus in my face. No substance, no good hooks and not a single interesting or fun melody to be found there, not to mention some of the dullest power metal vocals I've heard this side of Joakim Brodén. Blegh.

Try some stuff from Back Through Time. That's as good a starting point as any for Alestorm, as it's their best album so far. I know I keep harping on it in this thread, but "Death Throes of the Terrorsquid" is my favorite song of their's and I feel it's their best song. It's a lot darker than what they normally do, but it's still a great song.

Reply to topic