Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:31 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Boris_the_Blade/The_Human_Hive/403741/Gespenster/313583

Nice review and all, and I happen to know how this album sounds, but if I wouldn't i'd still have no idea after reading this review, I feel the musical description is a bit vague/unpresent here... Thing is, this album has a really unique and atmospheric sound, but I really don't get that idea from this review...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:29 pm 

Spot on Megadeth review, Empyreal :thumbsup: Always funny when someone articulates your own exact thoughts on an album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

That's what I strive to do in all my reviews.

Thanks, by the way!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... Fuct/23712

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:08 am 

^ the image link you posted is dead.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:37 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
^ the image link you posted is dead.

It was:

Spoiler: show

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 pm 

From the new Septic Flesh album review:

Quote:
This album is like being being kidnapped and confronted by a serial killer whose weapon of choice is a rubber ducky. This guy is totally serious about murdering you; you clearly see the corpses of his past victims laying lifelessly behind him. You know he's serious, but... c'mon, this guy's weapon of choice is a fucking RUBBER DUCKY. How are you meant to take this guy seriously?

Blunt but humorous, and pretty fitting. :lol:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 pm 

I certainly can't take their frontman seriously as long as he's wearing that goofy looking getup he's been wearing lately.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:02 am 

I was gonna say something about the bitterman stuff but fuck it, everyone knows where everyone stands there. Something that did occur to me though is how a lot of reviews (and I mean a huge number, you could probably find an example or ten for every reasonably popular metal album) on here are just random and fairly meaningless adjectives. Its like some dude sat down with a thesaurus to write down each and every semantic nuance of how X album is great or trash. The problem with that is that it doesnt extend to description of the music as well. Its just not enough to say that an album is `atmospheric` or `cold` or `crushing` or whatever. All that tells me about the music is what you feel what you listen to it / what kind of words you want to use to subtly impress people on a metal website with (lets face it, metalheads are pretty nerdy, myself included, and this kind of behaviour is par for course). Its not about subjectivity or objectivity or anything like that but some basic information I would like to see in a review is:

-good riffs?
-riffs makes sense together/songs work?
-album even or uneven?
-genre dependent: how do they make their riffs? Are we talking long tremolo picked melodies or some palm muted chugga shit. Also, does this work or does it suck?
-does the music fit the topic and the lyrics?
(-And totally unimportant: Does it follow genre conventions. Who cares???)

While the above will still only tell me what you feel when you listen to X album, at least I know what I am getting into! I am sure there is a lot more to a good review but as far as musical description is concerned the above would be pretty nice to see. At least with the above, if I am somewhat familiar with the reviewer I know what to expect, good or bad. Like autothrall, I bet he has been mentioned in this thread before because he writes well. I dont really agree with they guy on a lot of stuff but I really respect what he has to say because he gets to the point.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 pm 

fallot wrote:
I was gonna say something about the bitterman stuff but fuck it, everyone knows where everyone stands there. Something that did occur to me though is how a lot of reviews (and I mean a huge number, you could probably find an example or ten for every reasonably popular metal album) on here are just random and fairly meaningless adjectives. Its like some dude sat down with a thesaurus to write down each and every semantic nuance of how X album is great or trash. The problem with that is that it doesnt extend to description of the music as well. Its just not enough to say that an album is `atmospheric` or `cold` or `crushing` or whatever. All that tells me about the music is what you feel what you listen to it / what kind of words you want to use to subtly impress people on a metal website with (lets face it, metalheads are pretty nerdy, myself included, and this kind of behaviour is par for course). Its not about subjectivity or objectivity or anything like that but some basic information I would like to see in a review is:

-good riffs?
-riffs makes sense together/songs work?
-album even or uneven?
-genre dependent: how do they make their riffs? Are we talking long tremolo picked melodies or some palm muted chugga shit. Also, does this work or does it suck?
-does the music fit the topic and the lyrics?
(-And totally unimportant: Does it follow genre conventions. Who cares???)

While the above will still only tell me what you feel when you listen to X album, at least I know what I am getting into! I am sure there is a lot more to a good review but as far as musical description is concerned the above would be pretty nice to see. At least with the above, if I am somewhat familiar with the reviewer I know what to expect, good or bad. Like autothrall, I bet he has been mentioned in this thread before because he writes well. I dont really agree with they guy on a lot of stuff but I really respect what he has to say because he gets to the point.

Personally I can respect a writer that can get down to brass tacks and will shoot straight about the material on an album, but I'm equally impressed by those who can describe an album with words more expressive than "killer riffs" or "total 80's bay area worship".

I think it comes down to two things:

1) The style of album you're writing about.

2) The audience you want to recommend or discourage the album from.

You're not going to wax poetic about yet another throwback retro-thrash band, and similarly it can be quite dull to talk in cold, mechanical tone about the technical aspects of a drone or funeral doom band. Ultimately people can write however they want and similarly readers can choose which reviewers they wish to follow, not that you shouldn't give the others a chance. I think most of the big name reviewers here are quite capable of writing in a myriad of styles that will appeal to everyone at some point.

As for thesaurus abuse? I won't say it's inevitable but eventually you get sick of repeating the same adjectives. It can be hard to find a comfortable middle ground between obnoxiously verbose and dimwitted, repetitious robot.

Smash08
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 am 

Can anyone help me out with the Similar Artists section? It seems that I can't discover more of the less popular bands who are as good as the known ones.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 am 

If the Similar Artists section needs improvement to you, improve it yourself! Add some bands that you think are similar, and upvote the ones that you see.

Also, you can see bands that don't have the minimum 3 votes yet by clicking the "edit" button on the right side of the Similar Artists tab - it'll generally be to the left of the band photo.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 am 

I wonder how long it's gonna take before bitterman understands giving Slaughter of the Soul a 0% isn't exactly a bad thing on MA, especially considering he's just a troll...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:50 am 

Harden up, you yourself say that giving a 0 to Slaughter of the Soul is no big deal, so don't bring it up.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Harden up, you yourself say that giving a 0 to Slaughter of the Soul is no big deal, so don't bring it up.

Well clearly he's a troll, which makes me wonder why gives one of the most well-known yet unpopular albums ever a 0%, that's not what trolls do...

Ps. I'm not really being serious btw...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 am 

You may not be serious, but you've got 200 posts and like half of them are OMG BITTERMAN TROLL, enough.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 am 

Yeah seriously LeMiserable, just quit - quit everything you're doing on this forum please.

Oh, the guy with Stained Class in his name is giving Stained Class a 100% review? Tell me more crazy surprises.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:48 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You may not be serious, but you've got 200 posts and like half of them are OMG BITTERMAN TROLL, enough.

More like a few of the last 20, don't speak about shit you don't know, you clearly haven't seen any of my posts but these...

OT: That Stained Class review cracked me up too :lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

LeMiserable, you are aware that sometimes people intentionally use hyperbole to get a point across, right? Either way, your incessant complaining about Bitterman is just as bad as he is. Please stop.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:14 pm 

Smash08 wrote:
Can anyone help me out with the Similar Artists section? It seems that I can't discover more of the less popular bands who are as good as the known ones.

Man, my advice is to just trust the Similar Artists tab! Sure I can't vouch for this, but it's fair to assume that some others use it as I do. And that is, when I vote, I sorta consider the fame/obscurity of the band in my choice. I mean, if I'm looking at the Chinese suicidal black metal Be Persecuted, I won't waste yall's time by voting that it sounds like Burzum. It's dsbm, it all fuckin sounds like Burzum. There are probably other users who think of the Similar Artists tab likewise?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:17 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Smash08 wrote:

Man, my advice is to just trust the Similar Artists tab! Sure I can't vouch for this, but it's fair to assume that some others use it as I do. And that is, when I vote, I sorta consider the fame/obscurity of the band in my choice. I mean, if I'm looking at the Chinese suicidal black metal Be Persecuted, I won't waste yall's time by voting that it sounds like Burzum. It's dsbm, it all fuckin sounds like Burzum. There are probably other users who think of the Similar Artists tab likewise?

So if a band sounds like another band you don't up vote it on the similar artists tab? Yeah, that makes sense... :oh shit:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Smash08 wrote:

Yeah, clearly all DSBM sounds the same and no obscure band could ever produce their own sound. o_O Ugh, people who think like this make me very sad.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 pm 

sushiman has great taste in metal and an excellent review for the new Draconis Infernum album. I got my copy last week and it's damn impressive. Now I wish I didn't leave that CD at my friends house the other night.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

Yeah, clearly all DSBM sounds the same and no obscure band could ever produce their own sound. o_O Ugh, people who think like this make me very sad.

Was not at all trying to rag on DSBM. The exact opposite really :) I was trying to highlight the futility of voting a genre's obvious big names onto the Similar Artists tab of an obscure band. To convince our friend Smash08 that the tab won't always just be a list of big names, if people vote on it in a more effortful way! You've actually helped support my point.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 pm 

It works both ways, though. What if I know Basic Entry-Level Band and want more obscure bands that play the same thing? By your logic, I'd just be SOL because big-name bands should only be connected to other big bands.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 pm 

What I do with the Similar tab is:
-connect majors to majors. To fart around with the scores, not thinking the 172nd vote for Priest on Maiden's page will help any new listeners.
-connect unknowns to unknowns, and unknowns to majors, to get their names circulating out there.
but I just feel like the other way around is counterintuitive.

Fully admitting that you caught me in my illogic though. Very little of what I do seems logical to other people :p

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm 

I'm pretty sure you're putting way too much thought into the similar artists tab. When I'm listening to something and think, "Hey this sounds like Band X," I go to their page and click that they sound like Band X. Simple. If it sounds like Burzum it sounds like Burzum, regardless of how many Facebook likes they have.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 am 

Now bitterman did do Napalm Death's Utilitarian, but at the same time he forgot to mention how fucking obnoxious the sax in "Everyday Pox" is.

YOU HAD ONE JOB, MOTHERFUCKER!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:44 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
sushiman has great taste in metal and an excellent review for the new Draconis Infernum album. I got my copy last week and it's damn impressive. Now I wish I didn't leave that CD at my friends house the other night.

Haha, thanks man :). This record is a highlight of the year for me. And yes, better grab that disc back!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

One of the best writers on the site, certainly.

Wilytank wrote:
Now bitterman did do Napalm Death's Utilitarian, but at the same time he forgot to mention how fucking obnoxious the sax in "Everyday Pox" is.

YOU HAD ONE JOB, MOTHERFUCKER!

He also paraphrased the lyrics to At the Gates' "Suicide Nation" :???: The actual lyrics are "Control, control! Suicide, suicide, suicide, suicide!" Ideologically steadfast but qualitatively inconsistent, often far too casual or gimmicky. He basically gets a B- on shooting fish in a barrel.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... nky/324452

Quote:
One of the worst offenders is "Crossfire". It's the complete polar opposite of what Priest was meant to be. It's a hokey, bluesy song that I honestly think would have worked better if Black Sabbath had done it. Priest isn't known for doing bluesy songs, at least not ones that have more bluesy overtones like "Crossfire".

Did this reviewer get dropped on his head as a baby?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Judas_Priest/Redeemer_of_Souls/409799/Brainded_Binky/324452

Quote:
One of the worst offenders is "Crossfire". It's the complete polar opposite of what Priest was meant to be. It's a hokey, bluesy song that I honestly think would have worked better if Black Sabbath had done it. Priest isn't known for doing bluesy songs, at least not ones that have more bluesy overtones like "Crossfire".

Braindead, for sure. He's been persistent in trying to improve his reviewing, despite many remarkably terrible submissions.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am 

I never thought he was the worst ever, but that statement is just ridiculous. I think most of the time he just tries too hard to be quirky, like a lot of young reviewers do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm 

That guy drives me up a wall for some reason. I can't get through a single one of his reviews without wanting to set fire to everything around me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:43 am 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Judas_Priest/Redeemer_of_Souls/409799/Brainded_Binky/324452

Quote:

I really wonder if he's heard Rocka Rolla?

Also, regarding BastardHead's Hammerfall review, I think the band's name was inspired by Warlord ('the hammer will fall on you') rather than Queen.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 am 

I was never actually sure where Hammerfall's name came from, I just always kind of assumed it was Queen considering that was my first thought and they're one of the most popular bands in the universe.

And yeah, even though I like to be controversial and say that Sad Wings of Destiny is held in too high of regard, it's still obviously a phenomenal album and anybody saying Priest and blues don't go together is a sad creature. Hell, they're all old enough to probably involuntarily fart out little clouds of dust every time they sneeze, it'd be in their best interest to go back to doing bluesy numbers as opposed to pushing themselves to do Painkiller or Defenders of the Faith again.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:00 pm 

One of my favorites.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... Beer/93133

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:40 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:

This is beyond hilarious. Talk about a happy pill for a gloomy day! :lol:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:27 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
Rykov wrote:
EschatonOmega's recent review of None So Vile has me scratching my head. Not just because they go on and on about how it's just noise with no structure and drumming that doesn't go along with the riffs (which is... well, patently false). But also because of this:

"But the main reason why I hate this album is the vocals. And they are absolutely excruciating to listen to. Lord Worm abandons melody and structure in total and instead goes for this guttural series of grunts, growls and shrieks..."

So... in other words, you're angry because the vocalist on a death metal album is using death growls? Did this person even realise they were reviewing a death metal album?

Bumping this. It's an absolutely ridiculous review.

Thing is, NSV is a chaotic album or whatever you wanna call it. But calling it wankery or poorly structured just makes me wanna put 2 gigantic speakers in his lawn and spin Viraemia's EP until he finally realises what wankery or poorly-structured music is, NSV is heavy, fast, chaotic, but oh so well-structured, it's just that it's so insanely fast and bouncy that it makes you think it's bits and pieces thrown together, but that's just wrong, every song flows well and they all click, none of them sound out of balance or off-track or whatever bullshit....

there's a problem with this post:

Viraemia does make sense most of time, from a compositional POV. I'm not that much into the style and the band but from what I've heard, harmonically speaking the riffs usually are very coherent. The transitions from section to section and riff to riff are usually well done. Maybe you need to listen to it with more attention or just in a slower pace to get it. Not saying that this will guarantee you'll enjoy it but this is a point that can be seen from a more objective perspective, if you know some musical theory.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:11 pm 

^See, LeMis, It's not just me. I think you might have preemptively labeled Viraemia as incoherent because that's how you expected them to inherently sound as a tech-death band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 521  Next