* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Both songs were killed by Youtube by the time I clicked on them.

How badly do you want to hear it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJjJgptNxs

Took me 5 seconds to find that, so not badly enough.

Nope, not badly enough. And with good reason, too. It's better than Heritage in a small, coherent way. But I think I have to bid thee ado, Opeth.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:04 pm 

Really people? This is oceans above Heritage. At least here the material is cohesive and knows where it's going.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 pm 

Eh, we'll have to hear more to say it's above Heritage, as Heritage also had a couple of straightforward songs like Slither and The Devil's Orchard. I really liked Heritage's free flowing, almost lazy structure. It made for a very mellow and warm album to listen to while relaxing/being tired. I wouldn't have a real problem with Pale Communion displaying a similar struture. Although it probably won't, and that would probably be for the better. No need for Opeth to stagnate at this point.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 pm 

Coincidentally those were the two songs from Heritage I really liked. I Feel the Dark was alright too, if only because it had some of that old school Opeth darkness that was missing from most of the album.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:50 pm 

Huh, yeah, this isn't the Opeth I'm into at all. I wish they'd do another album like Damnation if they're set on leaving behind the extreme metal. Oh well, enough people seem to dig it to make it worthwhile.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:59 pm 

Mike's vocals sound a lot more confident here than they did on 'Heritage'. In fact, this reminds me of 'Ghost Reveries' in a way. The production is probably part of it. Also, as has been noted, this is a lot more coherent than anything from 'Heritage'. I could maybe have used a couple different sections to spice things up, but I'm not complaining. The groove and solo in this song are damn nice. This bodes well for the album!

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 pm 

Although I haven't been super into an Opeth album since Damnation, this is a solid track that keeps my interest.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:17 pm 

Morfiend wrote:
Although I haven't been super into an Opeth album since Damnation, this is a solid track that keeps my interest.

This.

I at least have hope for this album being enjoyable now. I liked Watershed a lot, FWIW, but did not like Heritage.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 pm 

That track was a lot groovier than I expected. I'm still a little skeptical since I am in the camp that loved Damnation but got bored by Heritage so I may just have to listen to more stuff before reserving judgement.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

The song reminds me of something by Leprous to a degree. It's definitely better than anything on Heritage.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:18 pm 

I can't believe that the band I used to love once has turned to this horrible melodramatic rock band. I'm sorry to say but "Cusp of Eternity" just flat out sucked for me. The whole song just drags this blurry semi middle-eastern melody over and over with zero trace of a good riff or hook. The solo is a overkill played without the feel Mikael once possessed. I guess no more Opeth for me. Why Roadrunner has to ruin every good metal band that's getting some attention?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:26 pm 

I don't think Roadrunner has nothing to do with the band's direction, come on now. It's hardly a commercial sound... It's funny that some of you guys are surprised by their direction, it was already established with Heritage. I think the song is better than most things on the previous album, it has a better direction for sure.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:35 pm 

Hell, it was already being established with Watershed. Them leaving extreme metal behind really isn't as big a surprise as we would have liked to believe when Heritage came out.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 pm 

i for one enjoy this new direction they're going in. much as i love blackwater park, that extreme metal/soft prog style was kinda tired by ghost reveries. they're great musicians and mike writes songs well. if the rest of the album is on par with this song, that's good enough for me.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I don't think Roadrunner has nothing to do with the band's direction, come on now. It's hardly a commercial sound... It's funny that some of you guys are surprised by their direction, it was already established with Heritage. I think the song is better than most things on the previous album, it has a better direction for sure.

I agree, Roadrunner had nothing to do with Opeth shifting their sound. Mikael has stated since the Lamentations DVD that death metal hasn't been his forte for a while. I just hope the rest of the band members are 100% on board with this new direction, since almost all of them come from metal backgrounds anyway, especially Akesson and Axenrot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:22 pm 

It was actually Mendez that spurred Mike to write the Heritage album. He presented Martin with a few songs that sounded like Watershed, and neither was feeling them, so when Mendez said he wanted to move beyond that style, Mike took that as a signal to write stuff that had no death metal in it anymore.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:30 pm 

Well, Mendez likes hairy mooseknuckles!!!!

Kidding, but in all seriousness, I've been thinking it over. I might give this album a chance, so long as it's better built than the last one.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:50 pm 

I just heard their new single "Cusp of Eternity", which on first listen I thought was horrible. It's just lifeless and emotionless. Even Mikael sounds terrible. I swear the more confident he gets in his clean vocals, the worst they sound,

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm 

The Archives and Google say that Martin Lopez played drums on a couple songs on the album, specifically "Goblin" and "Voice of Treason".

Consider my excitement for this album to be even higher than it was before.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:23 pm 

Lopez? Quite unexpected. He should have been in Watershed, Axe's drumming is too mechanical.

Anyway, the drumming wasn't the problem with Cusp, it was the all the way boring riffage and vocals.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The Archives and Google say that Martin Lopez played drums on a couple songs on the album, specifically "Goblin" and "Voice of Treason".

I'm masturbating right now.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I'm masturbating right now.

If you're a woman that's fine. Otherwise keep it to yourself. :P

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 pm 

Another song has leaked:

Eternal Rains Will Come

http://goo.gl/XExA4u

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 pm 

Oh my god. This is awesome!!!!!!!!! I ripped the song so if anyone want to listen to it and the video has been shot down, PM me.

The song truly works as the first track, no vocals before like 3:00 but I don't care, awesome synths and drumming.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 pm 

So much better than Cusp of Eternity. I love the Damnation vibe. My only complaint is that the intro is a bit too much like The Grand Conjuration.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 am 

I for one was never a huge Opeth fan. Its one of those band I should love, and maybe might have loved if I discovered them earlier, but never really did. They have high highs but never stuck with me. That being said I absolutley LOVE that first single Cusp of Eternity. I will check this one out for sure.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:00 am 

Btw, does anyone have a source besides Wiki for Lopez being on the album?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:56 pm 

Well I like this one! I wasn't interested after "Cusp of Eternity" but this sounds good. Curious to hear more now.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 am 

I liked Cusp Of Eternity better than this one but so far it seems to me that this album is closer to their older material than Heritage was (in some regards, at least) and that makes me more interested that I was previously. It's amazing stuff even if I'm not getting throttled with a ton of crunchy death metal riffs, which for me is kinda weird.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:26 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
It's amazing stuff even if I'm not getting throttled with a ton of crunchy death metal riffs, which for me is kinda weird.

Why? Opeth never used 'crunchy death metal riffs'

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:08 pm 

Really good song. I really like this more obvious prog-rock-inspired style. Not to be redundant, but I've liked Opeth's cleaner portions more often than the rougher counterpoint. They're an interesting band. Looking over the reviews yesterday, I was intrigued by how all over the place the review scores were. If "Eternal Rains Will Come" is indicative of the whole album (and, there is bound to be signature variation) I'm bound to enjoy it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:29 pm 

Wow, I went into this thinking it was going to be garbage (I assume that for all Opeth albums) but man, those tones and organs and synth sounds are delicious....it's pure prog and it's badass. That "intro" part was wondrous.

Consider me piqued...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

I'm digging the fusion jazz vibe of Eternal Rains Will Come. The opening reminded me of Niacin.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 pm 

Leaked. After my first listen I like it a good deal better than Heritage. It's both more enjoyable and more varied. Overall, it just sounds more like the Opeth I know and love but with a few new elements.

Favorites so far: Eternal Rain Will Come, Elysian Woes, River, Faith in Others

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm 

Full round-up coming in a while.

Ok, it's Opeth so it's hard to get into after only 1 spin but it's both heavier and more atmospheric than Heritage, the prog rock elements are simply more involved and there's no (or less) filler than on the previous one. Even though the instrumentation is rich and there's plenty of jazzy sections, accoustic guitars, keyboards, the album felt cohesive. There's no overall highlights so far because of this but "Moon Above, Sun Below" might be my fav so far.

Very good album.

MetalMetalsMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:04 pm 

Per usual, it's hard to comment on an Opeth album after only one listen. But I will say this: there are some sections to songs that had me thinking, "this is some of the most moving/beautiful passages Opeth has written."

Also, "Faith in Others" is a PERFECT ending to the album.

Sound Chaser
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 am 

I've listened to the album a couple of times, and I definitely prefer it to Heritage so far. It's difficult for me to pick favorites at this point, but the album certainly ends on a strong note.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:50 am 

Having never been an Opeth fan, I was kinda drawn towards heritage because it didn't sound stereotypically metal like most of their other work was. I can agree that it was a bit dense though and lacked, I dunno, cohesion? Despite not knowing a damn thing about Opeth though, I can agree with all of the positive comments about this album so far.

ShadowAurion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 pm 

This is the record I've been wanting them to release since Ghost Reveries. After Watershed, it was really obvious that Akerfeldt's heart just wasn't in metal anymore. Watershed was still pretty good (Porcelain Heart is one of the best things he's written) but it didn't do it for me as a whole. Heritage was unfocused and kind of a jumbled mess. This, though. This is great. It's like the lovechild of Ghost Reveries and Damnation, sprinkled with the successful elements of Heritage. Probably some of the most cohesive songwriting they've done in a long time, too. Elysian Woes and Voice of Treason are totally awesome. Particularly the end of the latter. Hot damn.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm 

My big three notes:

1. I enjoyed the album overall, though I've only listened to it once and it will take multiple before I finalize my opinion. The "Damnation + Ghost Reveries" comparison being thrown around seems apt, and Ghost Reveries is one of my favorite Opeth albums.

2. The problems with Heritage (lack of coherency/focus) have been seemingly corrected, which is a big factor in my first point. There's still some chaos and unpredictability, but it's not a jumbled mess like Heritage was.

3. Faith in Others is fucking beautiful.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next