Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:04 pm 

Outside of what gets listed on M-A and perhaps Discogs and rateyourmusic, is there a site that's a composite database of album bonus tracks and b-sides and things of that nature? If not, it's an endeavor I'm scratching my chin about taking on sometime down the road. That sort of thing fascinates me and as one whom saves his pennies to purchase Japanese imports for the extra song or two if the juice is worth the squeeze, it could help give listeners and collectors a complete picture of what they're looking for or just for triviality's sake, too. It's not something I'm actively pursuing right now or in the short term so if anyone feels that it'd be a waste of time and effort because there's so much information already available, especially here, then by all means say so.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
someone tell dreadmeat that so he can roll his eyes and say he has the first Aussie press on - wait for it - CD

:lol: Please post more often!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
As usual, youtube is recommending I listen to Dimmu Borgir, Korpiklaani (that is the Finnish way, take a word and put an 'i' at the end of it and say its Finnish - the original word is Corpse Clan, someone tell dreadmeat that so he can roll his eyes and say he has the first Aussie press on - wait for it - CD), Meshuggah and Hammerfall.

I never listen to these bands, or bands like them, why does youtube do this? I only use youtube for one thing, and it is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unRldLdllZ8

Tracking cookies and pattern recognition, data mining, mostly on search sites.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm 

Doug Stanhope killed it in Atlanta, GA. Fuckin great, entertaining show - looking forward to driving back home to Orlando FL tomorrow too.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:58 am 

waiguoren wrote:
I never listen to these bands, or bands like them, why does youtube do this? I only use youtube for one thing, and it is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unRldLdllZ8

Fuckin' youtube eh? Always messing with immaculate playlists 'n' shit. That video was beyond visionary.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Doug Stanhope killed it in Atlanta, GA. Fuckin great, entertaining show - looking forward to driving back home to Orlando FL tomorrow too.

You JUST reminded me I have to get my tickets for the 22nd here in Louisville. I'm going to be crushed if they're sold out. I don't ever think of him as the type to sell out even a small club, but I'm really pushing my luck.

I'm hoping for all new material since I saw him last year, but that might be stretching it. I think he's my favorite living comedian right now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:01 pm 

Nah it was all pretty fresh. None of it was from the Beer Hall Putsch material or anything else recent. And the Atlanta theater was absolutely packed.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:06 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

You JUST reminded me I have to get my tickets for the 22nd here in Louisville. I'm going to be crushed if they're sold out. I don't ever think of him as the type to sell out even a small club, but I'm really pushing my luck.

I'm hoping for all new material since I saw him last year, but that might be stretching it. I think he's my favorite living comedian right now.

same here, I had no idea he was touring again or I would've looked up dates and shit... probably has or had a stop in Chicago or St.Louis. I've listened to a fair amount of his stand-up stuff and he's definitely one of the more prolific comedians I've ever heard, dude always seems to have new bits and material on his releases, which is more than can be said for most of the other guys I listen to.

On a totally different note, I saw a pack of Juggalos bumming around yesterday while I was at work and that got me thinking, I've never heard anyone outside of the U.S. ever complain about having a Juggalo problem... does this mean the rest of the world is free of people that wear clown paint and slipknot pants and just bum around in big dirty, greasy packs and smoke cigarettes all day?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

They just call those "Americans" in the rest of the world.

I hate Doug Stanhope. He does have some sorta funny lines every once in a while but that brand of chain-smoking, angry libertarian ranting "comedy" is just gross/awful.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
They just call those "Americans" in the rest of the world.

That's because no fucker outside of the USA knows about ICP, and thanks G-d for that.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I hate Doug Stanhope. He does have some sorta funny lines every once in a while but that brand of chain-smoking, angry libertarian ranting "comedy" is just gross/awful.

Normally I wouldn't bother trying to "convert" anyone to Stanhope, because he's definitely not for most people, but I actually like you! Have you heard any of his more recent material? He has a special called "Before Turning the Gun on Himself" that I would really advise you to give a chance. He's always a little slow to get going but that's just his style.

I get what you're saying with the "chain smoking, libertarian rants" and all that, but I think the difference is he almost always arrives at a real point, based in logic. It's not just mindless bitching about things that could be better.

Please, FOR ME, just watch this clip. If it's not funny to you, I'll leave you alone about Stanhope forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1AHDjzcsQ

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm 

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/album/arrival-ep

NEW EP. WHAT WHATTT.

EDM/dream-synth crap.

Fun to make. Listen to the first track and just get lossstttt. If not my music, then listen to Lair of the Minotaur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn0yXhuTt8E

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:36 pm 

:ugh: I thought Stanhope had some good moments until I watched that clip. Just gave me a headache. I'll admit to have laughed in earnest at some of his bits, but .. not that one.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 pm 

I had to play it just now to make sure it was the bit I thought. I don't know, that's genius to me. Especially the end when the street hooker suddenly becomes an econ major and brings up "That dead jew Milton Friedman...". It slays me every time.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm 

Premier Wynne's brother-in-law gets chosen as the new CEO of eHealth. Dude's a lawyer! There's really nobody else who's more qualified to run an electronic database? :roll: Oh well, welcome to the great province of Oligario - oops, Ontario.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Please, FOR ME, just watch this clip. If it's not funny to you, I'll leave you alone about Stanhope forever.

One of my favorite bits of his. Great special all around.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm 

I can't be alone in thinking this, but Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show feels like the biggest fraud in comedy since the Mencia plagiarism. Other than some impressive (yet still not particularly funny) impersonations, this guy seems to have virtually nothing. Then there are a number of extra irritants, like the guest host who stands at the podium and constantly engages in lame banter with Fallon, dragging the skits out far longer than they deserve to be.

I'm sure someone will come in and explain to me why and how I am missing the point of Fallon's humor, and I would normally tend to agree; but with how popular he is, I expect no less than a complete aversion of good taste regarding the public's opinion.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am 

From what little I've seen, Fallon is at least funnier than people like Jay Leno or David Letterman...but really that's kind of like saying Denny's is better than IHOP.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:45 am 

Letterman used to be really funny, but then somewhere along the way he just kind of stopped being funny. His show isn't helped by Paul Shaffer never shutting the fuck up; he's the Mike Matei of late night. Fallon I feel is a shitload better than Leno, who was never funny to begin with, although I do feel that his best attribute is his shockingly spot on impressions (the Bill Cosby one in particular sounds exactly like the real deal).

Also, while we're on the subject of late night talk hosts, anybody have thoughts on Stephen Colbert replacing Letterman next year? I expect great things out of Colbert, as he's still just as funny as himself as he is in character.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 am 

I don't watch late night talk shows, but I agree about Colbert. He's not particularly funny to me, but his quirkiness has a spot in Letterman's chair. He might wanna steam-clean that chair first, I'm sure Letterman's bowel drainage and old-man gooch-sweat are still present.

Anyone else notice when they post right at midnight, it takes a minute or two to respond?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:33 am 

At least let us all agree that, aside from Colbert, Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson are better than all of them.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:46 am 

Whoever mentioned Mike Matei: I know, right? Man I hate that kid with a burning passion. He banned my YouTube account from the AVGN channel for making a comment saying that one of the later videos (I think the football/sports games episode) felt rushed and the HD camera was superficial and clashed with the DIY principles of the early AVGN episodes.

He is a skilled illustrator, but his solo reviews are horribly boring and he has diluted AVGN's output with boring crap instead of new episodes. There is still some potential, because the last episode I saw (about the PC truck racing game) was great fun. Fuck Mike Matei, he is like that one irritating friend everyone seems to have that has to "one-up" you on everything. When James makes shorts about horror films or vintage film reels etc. Matei always has everything bigger and better. Fuck that guy.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 am 

The most input Matei has with the AVGN episodes themselves outside of creating title cards for them is sometimes playing the games with James. Aside from that, all he does is do the collab videos, create the various top 10 lists they've been uploading recently, and his solo stuff, which sadly is what's become the main thing the AVGN channel is used for since James is too busy finishing his movie and being a dad now. He tries WAAAAAAAY too hard to be funny, and it's especially bad in his solo videos since he doesn't have James, an actually funny person, to bounce off of. He's kinda like that one guy we all have in our group of friends that'll say something in a forced joking manner and expect you to find it hilarious, as if everything he says is just a gutbuster. Not to mention he's an overly sensitive, easily butthurt twat who will ban you for even suggesting something he or James did isn't the pinnacle of humor.

And yeah, that sports games AVGN episode really wasn't all that good. Of the new batch of videos James has made since he got the movie cameras, that one and the Toxic Avenger one were the weakest, even if the latter has Lloyd Kaufman himself being completely nuts. Aside from those two, I've really enjoyed the AVGN videos done since he got back from California with all his fancy new equipment he used to shoot the movie with, especially the Big Rigs and Ghosts 'n' Goblins ones. James has always been better at AVGN writing when he doesn't have to rush to make them; stuff like the Action 52 review is proof of that.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:15 am 

Seems like we agree on most points, Subrick.

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I think this is one of the only good songs you've ever posted here.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 am 

Jimmy Fallon is a special needs kid doing stand-up in the school party. Someone needs to have the guts to tell him he sucks before he ends up embarrassing himself on a real TV channel.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Holy fuck. I stopped at 1:05. Worst comedian ever.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 am 

Napero wrote:
Jimmy Fallon is a special needs kid doing stand-up in the school party. Someone needs to have the guts to tell him he sucks before he ends up embarrassing himself on a real TV channel.

Dunno about that - he seems like an earnest dude who is genuinely happy to have the job he does, and seems the least dickish out of all of the late-night hosts. Also, NBC not being a real channel? Come on now.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Napero wrote:

Dunno about that - he seems like an earnest dude who is genuinely happy to have the job he does

That applies to a lot of special needs kids.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 am 

loving the new Edguy album. Empyreal get your ass back in here so you can validate my opinion. I think this is their best work since Rocket Ride, maybe even since Mandrake. The bonus track "England" made me laugh so hard!

Re: late night, i don't remember when Letterman was funny must have been before 2000. I'm skeptical of Colbert taking over because CBS is the same network who showed their evening news guy the door for having an unfavorable stance on Monsanto policies. If Colbert isn't allowed to criticize CBS sponsors and affiliates I expect a short rocky stint as the new host. Jimmy Fallon was never funny but he has fun on the show with his guests and he makes the fun contagious, i dunno guilty pleasure i guess.

Also waigouren that video unlocked my heart. Mwah.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 am 

I meant to watch that Doug Stanhope video last night, Jonbro, but instead I went home, cooked/ate dinner, then immediately fell asleep at like 7:15 pm, hah. I'll watch it tonight, I swear.

Agreed about Jimmy Fallon sucking. He was sort of funny as an anchor on SNL but only in a "he's so shitty, but sort of charmingly shitty" kind of way, but he's just awful as a real host. He's not dickish at all, and he has some amount of charisma, but he's just not really very funny. Colbert's going to utterly destroy all competitors in the late night talk show market.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 am 

Only way Colbert does a good job is if he gets free reign over his material, otherwise he's gonna suck balls. Also Team Coco all the way!!

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:15 am 

Jonpo wrote:

:ugh: I'm sorry, but... wow. That's Mencia-level bad to me. Maybe I've just been watching too much stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDwkVQL3Yb8

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

Yeah, Stanhope is just awful. Notbatman already put it best.
As for Late Night shows, none of them are funny. Way too many limitations and network interference. Craig Ferguson was funny for a while, until you realise it's all the same. I can say that only Letterman is agressively shit though. The rest are more a case of the writers. You try writing new and funny material every day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
loving the new Edguy album. Empyreal get your ass back in here so you can validate my opinion. I think this is their best work since Rocket Ride, maybe even since Mandrake. The bonus track "England" made me laugh so hard!

It's not my favorite of theirs, but it's good. Find myself really digging "Realms of Baba Yaga" and "Shadow Eaters" - nice full speed ahead mini-epics.

Stanhope is great. Vitriolic, vulgar ranting and some great points buried underneath the miasma of filth. I just find that sort of angry ranting funny. Batman, you'll probably hate that clip, I'm gonna warn you. He's toned down on the libertarianish ranting these days (well, relaxed it a tad bit, anyway), but his chain-smoking, cynical, edgy side is still in full force. Either you like his extreme, off the wall style or you don't - me, I can dig it. I also dig Louis CK; probably even moreso actually.

Checking out the new Triptykon - not sure what to make of it yet. Seems good. Nice heavy guitars and aggressive vocals ... I guess the production just seemed odd to me at first, with the vocals more up front and the guitars a little less the doomy crush I was expecting. It's a little more lively and varied so far than I remember the last one being. Then again, I didn't really give the last one much time to grow on me.

edit: Yeah, this is cool.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm 

I love Louis CK, but I find Stanhope unbearably irritating. He's basically Dennis Leary mixed with a reddit libertarian, except instead of the extra layer of fucking awfulness Leary has by way of having blatantly stolen his entire persona from Bill Hicks, Stanhope cultivates his fertile douchery further by having been a goddamn Girls Gone Wild host.

Oh, and happy Good Friday, everyone! Here's the only appropriate song for this occasion:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 pm 

Guess I'm not the only one who remembers Stanhope's GGW tape either (or rather, the commercials for it whenever I'd be up at 2:00 AM a decade ago).

Don't forget how he and Joe Rogan ruined The Man Show.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Only way Colbert does a good job is if he gets free reign over his material, otherwise he's gonna suck balls. Also Team Coco all the way!!

Only Coco is real? I pretty much only follow Conan nowadays. I think he's got the best writers compared to his peers. Some of the skits I've enjoyed the most are - triumph, masturbating bear, I spotted an error and the backstage scenes with his staff.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:49 pm 

I don't follow him too much anymore cuase I just can't stay up that late but I love him when I can catch him. My all time favorite Conan O'brien moment was when he sang Big Pimpin' in the subway.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:49 pm 

I noticed the one of the newest bands to be added to the database is called "Night Gaunt" from Italy. It would be a hoot if they titled their next release as "The Bizarre Lattices."

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501 ... 518  Next