* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Garcian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 am 

androdion wrote:
Welcome aboard dude. ;)

May I suggest you check out stuff like Vile, Sepsism, Gorgasm or Gorelust? I have no idea if you know them already but they're all cool BDM bands with enough dynamics and cool riffs that will probably please you.

I know Gorgasm yea I had kinda forgotten about them actually. The only album I had by them was Masticate to Dominate but after checking out Stabwound Intercourse it seems they had more the sound I'm looking for then.

But yea I listen to a lot of metal and I know a shitload of BDM, I know and like all these bands, but they just don't have that flavor that Skinless nailed... It's hard to explain, I think it has to do with less completely pointless (kind of annoying) random changes in time signature that every goddamn death metal band loves so much, (I know I know, liking that is just part of "getting" death metal and I just must not be sophisticated enough to appreciate their brilliant musicianship.... but for real more often than not I feel like it just ruins what could have been a potent moment in the music...) and just knowing how to write a goddamn riff*. Also the production and tone of older bands like Sepsism just doesn't hit like I'm describing. That flowing "groovy" sort of mid-paced death metal riffing is just so potent when done right, I guess I'm just still surprised it's so rare... I guess it really just comes down to Skinless being experienced and genuinely talented death metallers. Maybe I just have to wait for their next album.

*Okay sorry but this rant had to be written so I put it down here so as not to stray horrendously off topic up there... I'm sorry but after years of being a fan and still being someone who loves death metal and all of its variants, I'm here to tell you all that a LOT of these dudes need to pull their heads out and learn a thing or two about musicianship rather than just trying to sound really technical or playing nonsensical crap and justifying it's mediocrity as being brutal and an expression of ugliness or something. I mean how many death metal songs have been written, played, and recorded all using the very first riffs that the guy came up with off the top of his head while he was composing it? After years of elitist and narcissistic sorts of attitudes, the metal culture has developed a very sophisticated and efficient arsenal of personal ego justification tactics which seem to have carried over to the process of justifying to one's self why something is worthy of being played and recorded.... I mean I appreciate dissonance and brutality, I understand the way that metal often has a unique way of building up to a satisfying release through what initially sound to be totally out of place and inappropriate sequences in the song only to be "resolved" in a uniquely metal way, and it's really an art, bands that do it well stand out, but there is SO much death metal that produces nothing but annoyance and tedium with the random bullshit time-changes and what not, I'm just not into it anymore.
/rant

EDIT: Oh yea forgot to thank you for the welcome, how rude of me.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 am 

Your complaints aren't necessarily invalid. It's just I've been hearing them from other people since about 1999, when I first got into death metal. And I also have to admit that songwriting, while it certainly is important, isn't the first thing I think about when listening to this genre. After all, I listen to a ton of pop, rock, and classic heavy metal which features catchy and/or creative songcraft - in those genres it's pretty much necessary - whereas with extreme metal I tend to focus on the killer riffs and the more brutal and/or technical parts.

This is all entirely subjective, needless to say.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 am 

Hey Garcian, I take it you want something slamier then? Do you happen to know Eternal Suffering by any chance? And in case you're in for the slam we happen to have an expert resident here (MutantClannfear).

Garcian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Your complaints aren't necessarily invalid. It's just I've been hearing them from other people since about 1999, when I first got into death metal. And I also have to admit that songwriting, while it certainly is important, isn't the first thing I think about when listening to this genre. After all, I listen to a ton of pop, rock, and classic heavy metal which features catchy and/or creative songcraft - in those genres it's pretty much necessary - whereas with extreme metal I tend to focus on the killer riffs and the more brutal and/or technical parts.

This is all entirely subjective, needless to say.

Yea you're 100% right, I was just kind of on one last night and anticipating people telling me how I was wrong to not like certain music turned into a rant that I concede was basically redundant... Still think it's relevant to say the approval process of the average riff needs to be stepped up...

androdion wrote:
Hey Garcian, I take it you want something slamier then? Do you happen to know Eternal Suffering by any chance? And in case you're in for the slam we happen to have an expert resident here (MutantClannfear).

I guess don't really know what I want haha. I guess I was just hoping to find more stuff with the really well-done groovy mid-paced riffing style and atmosphere Skinless had on TTWHTD. The guitar tone and production is crucial to the sound too. I mean listen to the title track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5Tqgf8_jM
You hear how in the composition the riffs are like complete thoughts and they just know the precise moment to break it down for that killer mid-paced headbanging sound? Like if you start listening at about 1:04 and hear when they just hit that at 1:25, that's one small example, they're really good at that. In this track right in the opening you see what I'm saying about the tone and atmosphere... just fucking crushing..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brc7xspsOLM
And what they do at 1:55 here is just devastating, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddz72ybum6s It sounds like a high powered explosive rips through the fabric of the song right there.

TokesCat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm 

Has anyone ever checked this gem out? Worst album art and name ever, but it's kinda weird.
Reminds me of Morbid Angel, but wilder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrz_9bm1VB8

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Jumpin'_Jesus/6714

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 pm 

I just ordered the House of Atreus EP "Into the Brazen Bull". Any fans? Anyone who hates it? I didn't want to sample them because it'll be more fun this way. Just curious if you guys had any opinions. Comparisons to Rotting Christ (early) and Arghoslent have me most curious.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:49 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I just ordered the House of Atreus EP "Into the Brazen Bull". Any fans? Anyone who hates it? I didn't want to sample them because it'll be more fun this way. Just curious if you guys had any opinions. Comparisons to Rotting Christ (early) and Arghoslent have me most curious.

Checking this out now. The comparison to Arghoslent is apt from what I've heard of them (Hornets of the Pogrom). Both vocally and in the riffing and song structure, though it doesn't seem to be as much of a pell mell riff fest as Arghoslent is and not quite as punishing, a little more reserved and rocking. I believe you will feel your money has been well spent.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:13 pm 

Nice! I do tend to take it with a huge grain of salt when people compare anything to Arghoslent. They're singular. This sounds cool though, especially in a tight little EP format.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 pm 

I'll be returning that block of salt I guess. House of Atreus blatantly formed with the idea of sounding as close to Arghoslent as possible. Tons of hugely upbeat/positive sounding riffing, all of which is in the heavy/speed/power mold. They even do similar leads and vocals. I don't know if I'd pursue a full length from them but it's a very cool little EP.

Recommended for anyone who wants to love Arghoslent but can't tolerate the racism, I guess?

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49 am 

I've been desperately craving some death metal on the more "epic" side of the spectrum, a la more grand, spacious riffing, extended compositions and maybe some proggy elements while keeping it absolutely brutal.

I basically just need something to tide me over until Nile releases their next album. Marathoning their discography and still hungry.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 am 

I have a few suggestions, but they don't exactly sound like Nile, far from it, but they still have that grandiose sound to some extent. All are fucking quality too!

Immolation - Unholy Cult
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Im ... _Cult/9274
Great, great album from the masters of (dark) death metal. Where Nile is brutal and technical these are atmospheric and twisted.

Ascended - Temple of Dark Offerings
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/As ... ngs/245186
Good luck finding this in a physical format, but if you're OK downloading stuff, this is a really cool EP from Finland, dark and grand.

The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Th ... ate/182339
This is some fucked up shit. Heavy, big, experimental (they're using electronics, and it's great) and very very good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:18 am 

The Chasm fit that request to a T.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 am 

Not exactly brutal though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 am 

I didn't take that part of his request to necessarily mean it had to be *extremely* brutal, but rather that he just didn't want stuff that's only vaguely death metallish or something, like newer Opeth. But I guess we'll find out!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:36 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:
I've been desperately craving some death metal on the more "epic" side of the spectrum, a la more grand, spacious riffing, extended compositions and maybe some proggy elements while keeping it absolutely brutal.

I basically just need something to tide me over until Nile releases their next album. Marathoning their discography and still hungry.

I'm not exactly into the more technical aspects of music but every Nile fan is gonna enjoy these records:

Origin - Antithesis (2008) (USA) http://youtu.be/o2LKnTiUv8Q
Infested Blood - Interplanar Decimation (2009) (BRA) http://youtu.be/iDIHoQXfeTQ
Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore (2009) (USA) http://youtu.be/zw4PQGNippU
Nephasth - Immortal Unholy Triumph (2001) (BRA) http://youtu.be/NnBKhUh1Ya0

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm 

What the fuck. Did you read his request?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:02 pm 

andersbang wrote:

LOL indeed.

It's hard to find epic death metal that is also keeping things brutal like you said though... Have you checked early Orphaned Land? Ethnic doom/death, pretty awesome. Maybe Melechesh but this is pretty obvious of course, there's many longish songs especially on the last one. Another obvious one is later Behemoth really fits the epic death tag but this isn't proggy. "The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor" is perhaps my favorite song of theirs.

The best rec though: Lykathea Aflame. Brutal, progressive, long songs, mandatory.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm 

I'm surprised how come no one mentioned Nocturnus' The Key yet. I mean:

captaincrunchy wrote:
death metal on the more "epic" side of the spectrum, a la more grand, spacious riffing, extended compositions and maybe some proggy elements while keeping it absolutely brutal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:12 pm 

Oh good call! Maybe Tucker era Morbid Angel too? Gateways to Annihilation is fucking epic.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 pm 

Both The Key and Gateways... are good recs, yeah. I was thinking Mithras, especially "Behind the Shadows Lie Madness" too.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 pm 

Either that or Worlds Beyond The Veil, which is definitely more spacey-sounding. At least from what I remember of it, he. How about Zealotry? There's a lot of twisted epicness in that one!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:23 pm 

How about:

Ataraxy - Revelations Of The Ethereal (2012)?

Not brutal death, but some heavy, interesting stuff with big atmosphere.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm 

andersbang wrote:

Yeah no need to bash me when I already say myself I don't entirely understand his request. And to be honest I think your recs are about as far off as mine...

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:09 pm 

Quote:

Are you familiar with Ulcerate? 'Vermis' from 2013 is the most epic death metal album released in probably a decade or more. Seriously, I can't stop plugging how much I love that fucking record.

Oh yeah, and here's a random track selection, though you really need to hear the album through for the full effect:

Last edited by Metantoine on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't post three times in a row, you can simply edit your posts...

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 pm 

Agree with the Immolation rec too, though shamefully I've never gotten a hold of 'Unholy Cult' (even in d/l form). I need to catch up on most of the stuff between 'Close...' and 'Kingdom' honestly.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:00 am 

Wow, that's a lot of recs. Thanks to all contributors. Let's go band by band:

Immolation (Unholy Cult): Great stuff. I'd always heard a lot about Immolation but I didn't imagine them making this kind of DM.
Ascended: Reminds me of early Amorphis. Good music.
Monolith Deathcult: Very unique. I'll have to set aside time to go through them more thoroughly.
The Chasm: Wow, this isn't far off the mark. Production leads some to be desired, but looking at the ratings on their MA page, looks like I have much listening to do with these guys.
Origin: Not bad, but not quite what I was looking for.
Infested Blood: Kind of reminds me of Wormed. Not bad.
Devourment: Not my thing, sorry.
Nephasth: Cool, but not what I was looking for.
Orphaned Land: Hey, this is cool. I've been meaning to listen to them for a while. Glad I am, now.
Melechesh: Neat stuff. I'll listen to all of Epigenesis later.
Lykathea Aflame: Already dig them. Need to go listen to Elvenefris again...
Nocturnus: Already like them.
Morbid Angel w/ Steve Tucker: Fucking yes. Gateways kicks ass.
Mithras: Interesting stuff. Riffing reminds me of Colonel Sanders' style. The solos are psychedelic as shit.
Ataraxy: Pretty solid DM.
Ulcerate: Didn't think I liked Vermis first listen. I'll go back to it again.

Man, that's a lot of metal. Again, thanks all around. Looks like my DM playlist is going to get a lot bigger...

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:

Thanx, was looking for sci-fi themed bands like that myself!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:39 am 

Early The Chasm albums suffer from poor production, but the newer ones are very polished and nice.

You might want to check out Septic Flesh as well. Personally, I'm not nearly as keen on the band as Immolation, The Chasm and such, but I believe it fits the request, and the band has plenty of fans here as well.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 am 

@captaincrunchy - A bit out there, as in freakishly avant-garde stuff, but are you familiar with Phlebotomized's debut album? It may be just what the doctor ordered, assuming you don't mind a bit of craziness in the composition. ;)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm 

Maybe Flourishing might work? Not exactly spacey, but epic and kind of jammy-feeling at times like a more focused Gorguts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb1yPhaES4

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:06 pm 

Even if it's not what you're looking for, listen to Flousrishing. Their debut EP and album are both some of the best modern death metal.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:12 pm 

Intersubjectivity though... :nono:

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
captaincrunchy wrote:

Thanx, was looking for sci-fi themed bands like that myself!

The new Deeds Of Flesh destroys anything from Wormed, though both utilize well a sci-fi theme and I enjoy both bands.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:46 pm 

Garcian wrote:
Please help me find stuff on par with the fucking brilliance that is Trample the Weak Hurdle the Dead...

I have that Skinless. Although not a fan to your level, mainly because of the production quality and the tendency to get a little chaotic in places, I do understand what you mean about the brutality. I don't think there's anything heavier than groovy mid-tempo crunchy guitars. That said, some of my favorites in pummeling mid-tempo brutality:

Aeon - Aeon's Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZf_cLvZyys

Dawn of Demise - Hate Takes Its Form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqSCd7kIik

Ferocity - The Sovereign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIGH09Er8EA

Thy Final Pain - ... Of Life and Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PnvbXxPqIo

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:21 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Garcian wrote:
Please help me find stuff on par with the fucking brilliance that is Trample the Weak Hurdle the Dead...

I have that Skinless. Although not a fan to your level, mainly because of the production quality and the tendency to get a little chaotic in places, I do understand what you mean about the brutality. I don't think there's anything heavier than groovy mid-tempo crunchy guitars. That said, some of my favorites in pummeling mid-tempo brutality:

Aeon - Aeon's Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZf_cLvZyys

2nd this.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:53 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
The new Deeds Of Flesh destroys anything from Wormed, though both utilize well a sci-fi theme and I enjoy both bands.

I've got the Gradually Melted EP and have to admit they have a great cover artist nowadays but really don't like any of their full lengths myself...

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 pm 

The "new" Deeds of Flesh totally passed me by last year, I had so many other great releases to focus on. Will check it out for sure.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:57 pm 

Though I don't know if they ever have, or ever will, surpass the 'Gradually Melted'/'Trading Pieces' era stuff. Pure brutality with not a slam in sight.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Early The Chasm albums suffer from poor production, but the newer ones are very polished and nice.

You might want to check out Septic Flesh as well. Personally, I'm not nearly as keen on the band as Immolation, The Chasm and such, but I believe it fits the request, and the band has plenty of fans here as well.

Another band I highly recommend with Immolation is Incantation. I finally listened to Incantation this year and they kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3AZX2UXKg&sns=em

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 am 

Immolation and Incantation are two of the pillars of death metal. How could anyone claim to be a DM fan and not be at least passingly familiar?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 290  Next