Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:00 am 

I'm going to go on a road trip in a couple weeks soon of 13 hours, and often drive 4 hours to home from university and back. If you're like me, there's some music that just seems to go better on the road than others. Here are some recent favorites of mine.

Ensiferum, any album - Works super great for the road, I often get to pretend I'm a brave warrior on a journey going into battle.
BTBAM, Parallax II: Future Sequence - The long album length, storyline, twisting song structures and epic length are perfect.
Devin Townsend, Terria - Enhances the scenery quite well, especially when I live in Arizona and have sprawling landscapes to drive through.
Emperor, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk - Works super well at night.
Rush, 2112 - Again with the storyline, similar to BTBAM above.
Scale The Summit, any album, but especially The Migration - It's part of their aesthetic to have lots of natural imagery, and it works
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame - Super high energy jazzy rock

I find myself enjoying the more extreme death metal and drawn-out sludge metal less, personally, and stuff to just "rock out" to tends to work better. As such, heavy metal and classic/retro thrash tend to go well in the car.

Any thoughts or favorites of yours?

-Tracie Harris

Last edited by JT Rager on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 am 

Black Destiny - In Neo Noir. Very good classic heavy/power metal. Melodic and heavy and not very demanding of the listener, thus very good for driving.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 am 

i've always been a big fan of dire straits while driving. because the band is so versatile and the songs are so well-crafted, you get almost every genre you want to hear (jazz, blues, hard rock, ballads, guitar wank) in a fashion so smooth it keeps you interested and you get totally lost in the music, but doesn't "jolt" you out of the zone with screaming guitar solos right after a brooding number. and not to mention, is mark knopfler the greatest songwriter ever or what?!

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 pm 

Mark Knopfler is excellent, and certainly deserves a bit more attention for his work. I've been looking for a physical copy of Love over Gold for a long time, Telegraph Road would go super well in the car.

-Tracie Harris

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 pm 

Pink Floyd classics like "Dark Side of The Moon" or "The Wall", for the atmosphere mostly.

Priest albums like "Turbo" or "Ram It Down" are great for night drives.

Love me some CCR, though since their full-lengths are so short i'd prefer to pop in a "best of" or something.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:26 pm 

It seems more often than not that when I've got a lot of driving ahead of me I end up going for Frank Zappa. Possibly because there is an awful lot of variety spread over his releases and thus it stays entertaining for hours on end. Other than that, I reckon I'll state the obvious and say Motörhead always fits road trips like a glove.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:57 am 

This could be almost anything but you have to start with the classics, such as Holiday Road by Lindsey Buckingham and all it's wondrous remixes.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:55 am 

@ OP - yeah, definitely heavy metal or anything with nwobhm elements having cool rock n' roll vibes is best for long road trips. Sing-along choruses are a definite advantage to liven things up. Of late, I've been listening to these albums on my road-trips:

Skull Fist - Head of the Pack
Tygers of Pan tang - Spellbound
Enforcer - Death by Fire

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:11 am 

Black Hate - Los Tres Mundos
Black metal that never gets stale

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:23 am 

I listen to a lot more black metal on the highway than I do anywhere else. I can pretty much sink into a pretty relaxed state that is largely ignorant to the notion of time passing. Pop in something like Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulee, or Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and it's been an hour before I've even realized it. BM that is more dissonant/disruptive doesn't work as well for this usage, and stuff like Altar of Plagues is just TOO boring for me (never really sucks me in). That said I also like music I can sing along to in the car, which tends to be not metal - Simon and Garfunkel, the aforementioned CCR, the Weakerthans. Prog is also a solid choice; early King Crimson, Van Der Graff Generator, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc. I think the biggest thing for me in this respect is black metal though, just because I barely listen to it outside of driving, whereas all the other stuff I listed is playing pretty frequently when I'm at home.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 am 

Samaris is an iceland electronic band which suits perfectly well with a long trip, vey hypnotic music which is awesome when you are driving through the sunny and endless hills of some part of Spain.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 am 

JT Rager wrote:
I'm going to go on a road trip in a couple weeks soon of 13 hours, and often drive 4 hours to home from university and back. If you're like me, there's some music that just seems to go better on the road than others. Here are some recent favorites of mine.
Ensiferum, any album - Works super great for the road, I often get to pretend I'm a brave warrior on a journey going into battle.
BTBAM, Parallax II: Future Sequence - The long album length, storyline, twisting song structures and epic length are perfect.
Devin Townsend, Terria - Enhances the scenery quite well, especially when I live in Arizona and have sprawling landscapes to drive through.
Emperor, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk - Works super well at night.
Rush, 2112 - Again with the storyline, similar to BTBAM above.
Scale The Summit, any album, but especially The Migration - It's part of their aesthetic to have lots of natural imagery, and it works
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame - Super high energy jazzy rock
I find myself enjoying the more extreme death metal and drawn-out sludge metal less, personally, and stuff to just "rock out" to tends to work better. As such, heavy metal and classic/retro thrash tend to go well in the car.
Any thoughts or favorites of yours?

We have this quite specific thread (driving by night through the woods):
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102483
Anyway, I use to have some Jamiroquai and Deftones with me for travels and I remember myself driving by night enjoying Immortal and Emperor (feeling really powerful and, in fact, immortal) when I made 1500 Kms in a day to come back home from Venice (it took me like from 9 am to 1 am!).
P.S: For me, it depends on the mood and place where I'm at. For example, I listened to lots of Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum and Drudkh when I was on travel in Eastern Europe.

Turner wrote:
i've always been a big fan of dire straits while driving.

+1.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 am 

On long family roadtrips my dad would bring one of his large CD booklets and I would play the role of DJ, and I always tried to time it so that Point of Entry or The Warning played at sunrise and Somewhere in Time whenever driving through a large city at night. Any trad metal with great melodic hooks and does the job, though.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 am 

Man, road trips are hard. I go for stand up comedy albums or books on tape. Then I'll use music to break up the monotany of that. But music all the time just makes me sleepy. I love when I'm in the middle of a long drive and I catch Coast to Coast AM. That shit holds my attention and makes the miles fly by.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 am 

THE RAMONES! You can fit their entire back catalog in MULTIPLE TIMES.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:04 pm 

OP already mentioned Ensiferum and I'd solidly agree; particularly their self-titled and particularly "Guardians of Fate." Man, is that a great "cruising with the windows down" song.

Other faves:
Amorphis - Elegy. Really upbeat, laid-back album with a nice blend of heavy and melodic bits.

Elvenking - Heathenreel. This album is ludicrously, ridiculously over-the-top with a chaotic blend of folk and power metal, so YMMV, but I love it. Really energizing, good-mood music that makes you want to just kick bakc and enjoy life. I can only really listen to it during the summer, though.

Therion - Live Gothic. The only live album I really enjoy and spin consistently. A lot of energetic, bombastic takes on new and classic Therion material. Proved its value during a ten-hour trip from Milwaukee to Saint Louis on spring break a few years ago.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 pm 

For a trip that long, I like to start with something I could sing or growl along with for an hour or so, then probably something mellow and calm for a while. Afterwards, the road noise is pretty serene in itself, assuming there's no traffic.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 am 

Black Howling - A Soul Departed To The Unknown
Good hypnotic doomy black metal

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:37 am 

One sticky, warm Summer night in 2007 I embarked on a three hour long road trip on my lonesome. Summoning's Oath Bound was a great companion during that particular excursion.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 am 

I don't listen to a lot of metal in the car - I find the noise of the car and the road makes heavier stuff harder to hear. I've always found folk and folk-rock stuff perfect for driving through the British landscape. The Levellers and The Waterboys in particular; whenever I'm setting off in the car to go on holiday, they're usually the first to go on the stereo.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 am 

Anything with long driving beats imo: stoner metal (doom in general), jazz, afrobeat, funk, stuff like that. A coworker here got me into buying a bunch of stuff from Analog Africa of 70s West African music from places like Burkina Faso and Niger that's tremendous. I plan on banging a lot of that stuff when my wife and I go on a road trip this summer.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 am 

Black Snow 2 - The Completely Different Xmas Compilation
Electro industrial compilation with a xmas theme that works all year through.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:36 am 

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Paul Simon - Graceland
School Of Rock OST
Pulp Fiction OST

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am 

balbulus wrote:
I don't listen to a lot of metal in the car - I find the noise of the car and the road makes heavier stuff harder to hear.

i know what you mean but usually for me, the more brickwalled it is, the more it just blends in with the road noise. older albums are usually still good.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:27 pm 

That ^

Luckily my car is a 97 Saturn, so the road noise is atrociously loud. Can't complain though, I love my car.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:27 am 

a road trip playlist i would set up would be something like,
+Swallow the Sun-Ghosts of Loss or +Ahab 'Divinity of Oceans'..
+Animals As Leaders- 'the Joy of Motion' (something about new AAL is just wow)
+Ed Gein- 'Judas Goats and Diesel Eaters'
+the Amenta- 'Flesh is Heir'
+Alor
+Wodensthrone- 'Loss' (fantastic stuff!)
+Inanimate Existence- 'Liberation Through Hearing'
i selected these, odd mix i am aware, as the energy i feel to be required on trips..

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 am 

I personally enjoy listening to the car itself; the revving of the engine, the pitch change as it goes up in RPM, the dull thud as I shift gears, the rising of the turbocharger from a quiet hum to turbine like wail... But unfortunately that can get very tiring, especially when driving for long periods of time or at night.

But if I usually try to listen to longer concept albums, or albums that have very few filler songs. Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd are high my list, Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden as well, though I can't listen to too much faster paced music or else I will get a ticket. Live albums often times do the trick as well.

I do enjoy some songs like Radar Love by Golden Earring, Do You Feel like We Do? (live) by Peter Frampton, Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd and the Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 am 

Blackvoid - Asfixia
More mid-tempo black metal

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:19 pm 

For work, I have to take an hour long drive through farmland and up a mountain once a week. For some reason, I enjoy listening to Earth's Earth 2 while doing so even though I don't even finish the album (I get like half way through the final song by the time I reach my destination). Something about the album and vast landscapes...

I'm sure drone doom while driving isn't for everyone though. Sometimes I feel dazed when I step out of my car after listening to it. My speakers certainly can't handle the bass feedback either.

For that same drive, I also like playing Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma. I play disc 1 during the sunrise on my drive up and disc 2 on the way back during the sunset. Something about that just feels right.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 am 

Wilytank wrote:
For that same drive, I also like playing Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma. I play disc 1 during the sunrise on my drive up and disc 2 on the way back during the sunset. Something about that just feels right.

yee! love the stuff, prefer the Maniacal Vale, but damned hell do i try to collect my mind to figure out what i am even thinking after listening to them.. as in all thought process has become at that point were just scattered fractals of numb stutters and blank stares .. good stuff.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:39 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Emperor.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:59 am 

Blodarv - Civitas Diaboli
More black metal for the road

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:32 pm 

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Orthodox - Everthing they've done ( for the late night trips more specifically)
Kylesa - Static Tension
Brocas Helm - Defenders of the Crown
Enslaved - Monumension

These are things I'd imagine an entire car nodding to

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 am 

Battle Beast - s/t (pure fun heavy metal)
Battle Dagorath - Ancient Wraith (ambient balck metal)
Blood Box - Funeral In An Empty Room (dark ambient)

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 am 

Blut Aus Nord - 777-Cosmosophy

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 pm 

I'll second the Emperor. Really good driving music. Most Viking/Folk metal is good to drive to also.

You really can't beat Nick Drake when driving (or doing anything for that matter). Just perfect for long trips in general. I'd check him out for anyone who doesn't know of him. Fingerstyle guitarist from the late sixties.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:16 am 

Pelican-City of Echoes and The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:48 pm 

I find that steady, driving stuff with strong rhythms works really well. Nothing too slow or repetitive, but nothing with a lot of changes either.

Roky Erickson, The sonics, Deep Purple, Budgie, The Cult's Electric

You really can't go wrong with Black Sabbath...but especially, i think, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Dehumanizer

Rainbow's Rising and Long Live Rock 'n' Roll.

Brocas helm (glad to see them already mentioned...don't drink and drive though. haha)Vio-Lence, Slayer, Holy Terror...

Kraftwerk's Tour de France, especially the title suite. Maybe some Squarepusher.

Kool and the Gang's Wild and Peaceful. james Brown's The Payback or maybe the In the Jungle Groove compilation. Bo Diddley's Where it all Began. Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Alnilam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:20 am 

Heavy, slow to mid-tempo bands with a bluesy/psychedelic feel are best for driving out. Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, old Black Sabbath, Sleep, Pentargram, Nebula, etc etc

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 am 

Blutengel - Monument
Very catchy synth pop, that can be enjoyable without distracting.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next