Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 pm 

You got Vanek for basically squat-all, too. Poor old Islanders got looted today :(

As for Ottawa, like I said I'm dubious about Hemsky. Pretty much a second Spezza, but more injury prone. Beggars can't be choosers but I'd rather avoid a rematch vs Montreal in the playoffs now. Still, glad to see there is some loyalty left, with keeping Phillips around.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:09 am 

First game of the National Rugby League in a few hours. My beloved team plays their most bitter rivals of 106 years!

Hope we win...
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:37 am 

As good as it is that the NRL is kicking off, let's face it - nobody cares. Real football starts on the 14th when Collingwood take on Freo.

While I'm on that, Port Adelaide only getting four games broadcast on free to air is a pain in the arse, since I can't get Fox at the moment. :(

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 am 

Bezerko wrote:
As good as it is that the NRL is kicking off, let's face it - nobody cares. Real football starts on the 14th when Collingwood take on Freo.

While I'm on that, Port Adelaide only getting four games broadcast on free to air is a pain in the arse, since I can't get Fox at the moment. :(

Ouch haha I love both NRL and AFL. Hope Port go well this year. Last year was a vast improvement and they only JUST lost
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 am 

And we win convincingly 28 - 8. Was 6 - 6 at half time. Very happy

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:27 pm 

Anaheim shit the bed with those trades :ugh:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm 

Bede wrote:
Anaheim shit the bed with those trades :ugh:

Nah, Robidas is a pretty good defenseman and will definitely help the team during the playoffs. Penner was simply not needed anymore with the likes of Cogliano, Bonino, Perreault or Etem. Not the best team during the trade deadline (this is probably the Blues alongside the Habs) but eh, not bad.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm 

Do they really need Robidas, though? They have a surplus of defensemen, sending Vatanen to the AHL is an example of this. And I think Penner was quite good with Perry and Getzlaf at times, and he would have been helpful during the playoffs; Stanley Cup seems to follow him quite often. Oh well, maybe this will give Selänne more ice time. He showed at the Olympics that if he's given the chance, he can still deliver it.

MegaChaos666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:13 pm 

Yes..Arsenal defeated Everton by 4-1.... A goal and assist by özil, arteta scoring in penalty and two goals by giroud. 9 years without trophy can end.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 am 

Been listening to some old 12th Man cds lately. Still funny after all these years. For those who don't know what it is (basically anyone outside of UK, Australia and South Africa probably) is a man named Billy Birmingham who writes and records a comedy "behind the scenes" look at sports commentators while voicing them all himself. He mainly focused on cricket. A few favourite quotes would be

Spoiler: show
Ian - Well uh, this is a uh, pretty unusual situation here Max. Geoffrey Lawson and uh Mervyn Hughes have only had a few overs each, and the balls gone to sleep already
Max - Yeeees. Ian well, when you're sitting around in the commentary box for any great length of time, it's not unusual for the old balls to go to sleep every now and then, get a bit numb from lack of circulation
Ian - Max, I didn't mean...
Max - And the best thing to do, is to slip the old the hand down the strides, and give them a bit of a rub
Ian - Max I'm uh talking about uh Peter Sleep, he's coming in to bowl
Max - (clears throat) Yes he's been bowling very well lately Peter Sleep

Bill - Well yes they do need the rain Sri Lanka, but they don't deserve it. They deserve to be thrashed here today. They've been totally outclassed by the Australians, and now it looks like Australia might be denied the chance to win the game fairly and squarely because of rain and I think that's pretty fucked

Richie - And for Pakistan their task has been made harder without their skipper Imran Khan, who was left out of this side cause his name was just a little too hard to take the piss out of.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm 

Just saw some unholy good penalty killing by the Ottawa 67s against Kingston Frontenacs. Ottawa faced concurrent major penalties - that's a full 5 minutes of shorthanded two men - and only allowed one goal. Even that wouldn't have happened without the new rule putting the first faceoff in the penalized team's zone!

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm 

Leafs shoulda got rid of Reimer. Sorry but we need a backup who won't doddle the puck. Now we wen't from 2nd in the atlantic division to the #1 Wild Card. Oh ya, and the new playoff format screwed me up for a minute too. What's next, 3 on 3 OT, 2nd OT?
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 am 

Veld wrote:
Leafs shoulda got rid of Reimer. Sorry but we need a backup who won't doddle the puck. Now we wen't from 2nd in the atlantic division to the #1 Wild Card. Oh ya, and the new playoff format screwed me up for a minute too. What's next, 3 on 3 OT, 2nd OT?

Isn't this something that some of the GMs have suggested; that the last 2 or 3 mins should be played 3 on 3 or something?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 am 

3 on 3 OT would be totally fine with me. It's hard to choose though, I don't like ties but I also dislike the shootouts. I do like the 3 points game concept (3 for a win in regulation/OT, 2 for shootout, 1 for the loser in OT/shootout. And yeah, the new playoff format is pretty bad, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :(

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 am 

I never really warmed up to the 4 on 4, and 3 on 3 even less. The league has already minimized shootouts by putting in that "ROW" tie-breaker, so they might as well just toss it out entirely. I'd rather just see 5 on 5 overtime, whether the shooutout stays or not. Ties never bothered me.

PS goal of the year right here: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=582021

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 am 

Ties are fucking stupid, there should always be a winner, if you ask me. And shootouts are exciting, most arguments against them seem to fall back on "well it used to be the other way", I've seen. Extending the overtime would definitely be beneficial, I think.

And I've ranted at length, several, several times, on how much I fucking loathe the realignment and the new playoff format and pretty much everything Bettman's touched with his filthy fucking flippers. I swore I wouldn't watch any hockey intentionally if the realignment went through, and well... I've only caught like two games this year, but it wasn't because of a boycott. Work sucks, kids. Don't get jobs.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:17 pm 

Can someone tell me what the fuck happened with Arsenal?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 pm 

Nothing really new. This season they've choked every time they face a big team...and boy do they choke badly. First ManC then Liverpool and now Chelsea. Wenger skipped the post-game press conference, can't blame the guy for losing so badly on his 1000th game.

I'd probably say that we had a good ride in the first half of the season because we got lucky and right now some of our top players (namely Ramsey and Walcott) are injured. I still think that even with all our top players versus this Chelsea side, we would've still managed a draw at best. To look on the bright side, there's still the FA cup left and Arsenal should be assured a Champion's League spot for next year.

MegaChaos666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am 

Do u think Arsenals title race is over?

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 pm 

I believe so, and will probably be confirmed when they play Man City and Everton in a couple of weeks. Certainly can't see them getting a result over Man City despite being a Liverpool fan needing a team or two to take points from City

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 am 

Unless ManC or Chelsea fuck up their remaining matches, I don't see Arsenal even coming second in the league. I'll be content with a 4th place for now.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:52 pm 

i work at the honda center, and the ducks have won 2 out of the last 6 games i think since i started there. i was beginning to think i was bad luck till they beat FL. though i dont follow hockey nearly as much as i do football, so FL could suck for all i know

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 pm 

Florida is a perpetual sinkhole of failure. The best thing about them is easily Randy Moller.

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm 

Holy crap that guy's fun! "We landed on the moon!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Panthers also have those plastic rats that's kinda cool.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 pm 

Brendan, big fan of 12th man myself, though reckon you could've picked better quotes.

Shame cricket/afl aren't talked about more here, it's all ice hockey (which is cool, and a sport I wish I knew more about) or soccer, which is arguably the lamest sport in the world.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:39 pm 

I'm not really a fan of the shootout in the NHL, but it's understandable to avoid ties (which result in boring ass endings to games much of the time) and because it ensures that a game fits nicely into a TV broadcast schedule, which can't be said for playoff games when they go four overtimes into the wee hours of the morning (but ofc that is where hockey is at its greatest). The biggest thing that bothers me though is the point allocation format. Like tony said, the 3 points for regulation/OT win, 2 for shootout win, and 1 for shootout loss would be wayyyy better. We'd see even more aggressive play near the end of games.

The team I'm closest to geographically, and thus hear the most about, is the Edmonton Oilers, and boy what a trainwreck that team is. I actually thought their GM made some decent moves, David Perron leads the team in goals and you can tell he is one of the more complete players, and Boyd Gordon has been really good in a defensive role. It's a team game though, and their most experienced/best defenceman (Andrew Ference) is a number 4-6 defenceman on a decent team and he is the #1 guy in Edmonton. Their draft picks haven't been great either, Hall has been better this season but he is still not consistent or solid defensively, Nugent-Hopkins is decent but way overmatched on a nightly basis at this point in his career, Yakupov is invisible 99% of the time and seems like he has no confidence anymore which is unfortunate because every few games you see him make a small play that reminds you why he was a #1 pick, and Gagner has been useless this season.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 pm 

i love afl too but that statement about soccer is just pure blasphemy!

pity my Swans had an embarrassing outing round 1...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 am 

Caspo, cricket is boring as hell :/ Especially with the advent of T-20 to cater to the folks with lower attention span, it sucks even more. I think the last cricket worldcup I followed closely was the '99 one where Lance Klusener (SA) had that epic performance. I honestly felt SA were more deserving to win that than your team.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 am 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
i love afl too but that statement about soccer is just pure blasphemy!

pity my Swans had an embarrassing outing round 1...

Yeah that was pretty embarrassing, getting beaten by GWS :( Least the Pies got flogged, which makes most AFL fans happy

caspian wrote:
Brendan, big fan of 12th man myself, though reckon you could've picked better quotes.

Shame cricket/afl aren't talked about more here, it's all ice hockey (which is cool, and a sport I wish I knew more about) or soccer, which is arguably the lamest sport in the world.

I chose those because they were from the cd I was listening to at the time. There are better quotes, but they make me laugh :lol: Any favourite quotes?

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:44 am 

Blah :( My rugby league team has been horrible the last 3 weeks

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:49 pm 

4 points to gain. Seven games remain.
Could the Sens really salvage this miserable season?

EDIT: Fuck.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm 

Why did MacLean pull Anderson to send out Chris fucking Neil?! I'm pretty sure Smith/Neil ended with more ice time than Turris and MacArthur, which is fucking insane.

Sigh...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:57 pm 

I didn't mind that last minute decision. MacArthur & co. had been diddling around with pretty passes all night, and it got them nothing. So the coach sends out Chris Neil to try and bash one in.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 pm 

Anderson suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Hopefully Lehner will steal his spot for good next season...

Hat trick for Max Pacioretty (now 38 goals, he'll reach the 40 marks for sure!), 6 back to back goals for the Habs after giving 3 goals to the Sens in the first period!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:27 am 

Update: make that 7 straight. :durr: Yes Anderson is terrible. Couldn't even stop a pass from his teammate, when Gryba tried to cover a loose puck under him. Squirted right out the other side.
From this year's performance, I'm not really jumping up and down about Lehner taking over. Ottawa should toss Anderson and make a pitch fir Halak.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 pm 

:-D :-D

Would you say that's time for Spezza to leave? With Turris who's gonna continue to progress and with Zibanejad's potential, the new captain is perhaps not needed anymore and he couldn't handle the pressure at all. Trade him for a good defensive defenseman to support Karlsson who's about as good defensively than P.K. is humble, give the C to Chris Phillips and try to reconstruct?

Now watching: Montréal vs Detroit. Important game for the Wings even if they're almost assured of a playoff spot.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:51 pm 

Spezza has been a failure as a captain. So while I don't think it was his fault, to be put in a role he's not suited for, that's damage done now, and yeah he's gotta go. I don't see how they could demote him and pretend like everything's fine in the room.

Yes, I'd love to get a real defenceman over here! Don't suppose y'all would take Spezza for Andrei Markov? :D

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 am 

Who do you think will win the Champions League? I'll just be rooting for Bayern Munich not winning it.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 pm 

Was disappointed to see Dortmund go out despite their spirited second leg against madrid, but to be honest of the teams still in I'd like to see Athetico win, don't particularly like either of the others. but saying that I'd imagine it'll most likely be a Real vs Bayern final

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 pm 

Good job Sens!!! Ain't no playoffs round these parts, but we've tied those Leafs. Big showdown on Saturday fir 11th place. :D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 136  Next