Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

Oh okay, then I guess I didn't understand what you were saying at all. Just two bands that you aren't into!

Cultes Des Ghoules went all riffy on Henbane and Spectres. I'd take either Negative Plane album over Haxan on a riff-vs-riff basis 10/10 times.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:10 pm 

Oh, I liked the first Tribulation album a ton. Yeah, the whole retro swedeath thing was overplayed, but Tribulation were truly masters of their craft. Whatever their artistic ambitions may be, it was still sort of a letdown seeing a band with that much raw talent for riffcraft within the relatively narrow confines of a particular style decide to basically abandon it in favor of noodly experimentation.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:37 pm 

Yeah I've heard that even among the swamp of Swedeath nonsense The Horror really stands out. Judging from some of the weirdly clean yet super thrashy parts on Formulas I'm sure that's the case. It seems like a really talented group of people, and I'm personally glad they decided to get weird with it. I know that's probably frustrating as shit to death metal fanatics though.

If you don't like Negative Plane or Formulas I think I might be onto something with the similarities.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:42 pm 

The first Negative Plane album's decent but I still haven't been able to get into the second.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:34 pm 

The second Negative Plane album is much, much weirder than the first. I don't even think I've managed to wrap my head around it yet. I do really like the sound, and it's certainly unique in its choices of production and execution. Definitely music that promotes an altered, alienated state of consciousness.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:11 pm 

They didn't abandon their riffs, they just spread them out in more grander scale. It's not so much of a departure that it doesn't sound like Tribulation any more, it's all there, it's just the format is more progressive and practice jam orientated. I am interested to know what brought upon the change though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Man, the Formulas of Death/Negative Plane comparison puts into writing perhaps some of my reservations about that album. It's cool and it's interesting, but fuck, the debut *destroyed*. Stop playing four minute psych solos and RIFF, goddamnit!

Dunno, there's so many OSDM bands playing RIFFS that Tribulation has a fresh sound not unlike In Solitude achieved with Sister.

Jonpo, this was their setlist, pretty good for sure but that's like a slap on the ass when you expected the full thing!
Spoiler: show
When the Sky Is Black With Devils
Beyond the Horror
The Vampyre
Rånda
Ultra Silvam
Wanderer in the Outer Darkness

Talking of Negative Plane, I think they're cool (I can hardly see the comparaison with Cultes des Ghoules though except the long intricate songs) but the guitarist's other band Occultation felt flat, it's some kind of boring "evil" mum doom, it was pretty boring live too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 pm 

Antoine, that wasn't the impression of Occultation I had at all. Most of the "mum doom" has recycled blues/Black Sabbath riffs (even Blood Ceremony can be accused of this, for example); Occultation was just weird, keening, mournful and dissonant. JP from Borrowed Time said he thought they had some Ved Buens Ende remeniscences and while the two bands obviously play in a different style, I see what he's getting at. I rather liked em, anyway.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

Yeah, it wasn't mum doom but I like using that term! They had a good atmosphere but their sound was samey as fuck. You guys were much better that night!

The gig was: Cauchemar, Occultation, Demontage, Borrowed Time & Metalian

It was awesome to see Borrowed Time, probably my favorite American trad band right now.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 pm 

Hah thanks, it was certainly a fun night! I have a hard time saying anything bad about bands we've played with, too, although in fairness there have been a few. I should probably listen to occultation's records or something and see how they strike me. Could really tell it's the same guitarist as Negative Plane though as the riffing did have that distinctive sound to it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:21 am 

I've been munching on Sirdalud for the past two evenings to get my puny neck muscles in some sort of token working order; think they are sore because my head is wider than my shoulders. It's powerful stuff, and in addition to making me tired as fuck, my bladder feels itchy and my eyes wander around without much correlation to each other's position. Funky!

But what it does to the mind is a different thing. Once again, on the first night, I felt I was a jar of jelly, poured onto the bed, slowly seeping into the mattress. I was looking at myself from one end of the bed, and, as my eyes are located in my head as is usual for human beings, I saw the rest of my body as if I was looking downwards, and could only see the parts downwards from my solar plexus, unless I really turned my chin towards my chest, which was difficult with the sore muscles in my neck. If you know what I mean. Also, it seemed to require taking the bedsheets aside to see myself in all of my glory, since the drug didn't exactly give me X-ray vision. Having X-ray vision would have been a bad trip, since I think waking up in the middle of the night and seeing that you're just a skeleton from the chest down must be pretty scary. Also seeing the wife next to me as a skeleton, or just naked, would have been scary. The dreams were funny, too, kind of really dreamy. There was stuff in them, and I remembered parts of them for several seconds upon waking up to urinate the itch away. The stuff was really weirdly dreamy, too. It was not like the stuff you see when you're awake, not at all. I can't remember any of it, so it's kind of difficult to say, really. But I trust my feelings in this, it was really dreamy. Now I'm at work, and I guess it still has an effect on me, since I need coffee to stay awake, as coffee is a well-known psychoactive, and it seems to have a counter-effect on the stuff that made me have those experiences yesterday. But it's not enough psychoactive of a psychoactive, since I feel I need to drink it enough to fear crapping my pants, so that the fear keeps me from falling asleep again, so I must have a dose sufficient for physical effect here. It would be bad to fail in keeping myself awake in this situation, as I think dreaming the dreamy stuff again in the office would be a bad flashback of last night's dreamy dream stuff, and also, if my boss or one of the team mates found me sleeping at work, they would ridicule me once again, and twice a day of that is enough, thank you very much. And I think wanting to sleep and dream the dreamy dream stuff at work would be an early sign of an addiction, too. I think I should buy an MP3 player, and enjoy this feeling in the forest, listening to black metal, and feeling myself as a part of nature. Also, melancholy would be, like, nice. I need a trenchcoat for that, and a pairs of special pants and combat boots.

Drugs are bad, mm'kay?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 am 

Sounds like that time you tried salvia.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 am 

Reminds me of the time I was on drugs, and I looked in the mirror and I saw my own face there, and every time I made a face, it made the same face, you know, imitating everything I did. It got really irritating really fast.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/ ... JT20140315

So apparently (apart from along the Pakistani border) the Indian Air Force doesn't keep its radar turned on because it's too expensive. Meaning, the plane could have flown over India without being noticed.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm 

"Mum Doom"? Care to elaborate?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:51 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

Some Nile albums have liner notes detailing the concept, themes, origins etc of each song, and I've been considering eventually adding them to the archives (after the corresponding songs' lyrics), so I'd like to ask before taking the time to do that if it would be accepted, or rejected because "it's called the lyrics tab, not the lyrics and liner notes tab" or something.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 pm 

Monotheist is still a fucking kickass album. Just felt the need to remind everyone. Like a more, primal, caveman-y Eparistera Daimones.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:23 pm 

Currently writing a piece of coursework for property law which puts me in the role of a judge of the chancery division making an alternative judgment for a 30 year old case.

It's amazing how cathartic it is finally to be able to write as a judge after having read hundreds of judgments myself. Finally the tables have turned. Finally I can write endless convoluted run-on sentences that are a chore to read through and get graded highly for it. Not to mention the fact that I have authoritah.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 pm 

I've been listening to a doom band called Shinin' Shade lately, and while they aren't the greatest thing out there, I do enjoy their newest album Sat-Urn. Solid riffs throughout and I enjoy Jane Esther-Collins' singing style. Curiously I've never seen anyone mention them anywhere. Anyone like them or have any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAViAL4A5g

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm 

Can't dig em. Hate the vocals. Ruins whatever I could get out of the music.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:42 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I've been listening to a doom band called Shinin' Shade lately, and while they aren't the greatest thing out there, I do enjoy their newest album Sat-Urn. Solid riffs throughout and I enjoy Jane Esther-Collins' singing style. Curiously I've never seen anyone mention them anywhere. Anyone like them or have any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAViAL4A5g

Yeah, they're cool. Not the most original band around though. Feel free to participate in the doom rec thread, we always need new blood. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38296

And no shit, SLK, this is nowhere near your kind of stuff haha.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 am 

Metantoine wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYB2yrOPG8c

:o Jex Thoth is mum doom? I thought that was reserved for Warning, Pallbearer and their ilk.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 am 

That Shinin' Shade song kicks an arguably negligible amount of ass. I actually dig the female vocals in that one. Cool!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Huh. That is way too close to saliva.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Ayup, I made that mistake a few times when I first heard of it as well. Context there is that salvia is also a name for a type of lettuce/kale/some green leafy vegetable.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Ayup, I made that mistake a few times when I first heard of it as well. Context there is that salvia is also a name for a type of lettuce/kale/some green leafy vegetable.

Still...if you could get high off of spit...

Probably not your own spit, but the spit of some exotic lizard.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 pm 

Well, you can get high with shit. That's close enough.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:48 pm 

I haven't been listening to much doom at all lately, "mum" or otherwise (love the term, too)...Maybe I'm getting too old for slow music?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 pm 

what is mum or otherwise?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:21 pm 

You're like the guy who butts in a conversation and asks what everyone's talking about, except here you could've actually scrolled up and looked.

Metantoine wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYB2yrOPG8c

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:25 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I haven't been listening to much doom at all lately, "mum" or otherwise (love the term, too)...Maybe I'm getting too old for slow music?

Just wait a couple of years and I'm sure dad doom will be a thing, it's gonna be like Saint Vitus mixed with Boston and Kansas.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm 

http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sneak ... 4th-floor/

I found this quite amusing. After everything that has happened one would think security would be a little better... At least it highlighted the problem so it can be fixed.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Just wait a couple of years and I'm sure dad doom will be a thing, it's gonna be like Saint Vitus mixed with Boston and Kansas.

Something like this maybe? Note, I don't really remember what Boston or Kansas sound like and I'm not going to remind myself. One of the worst concerts I have ever been to was Boston...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boumCOnybKA

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 pm 

I feel the need to share this:

Every bit was spot on, especially the Type O Negative version

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm 

Aside from the Iron Maiden one not being that great, this is all awesome. Vocal versatility is the best.
The Michael Jackson one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 pm 

Shoulda have done a Danzig version as well

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 pm 

so, googled 'mum doom'.. and that sure was not very helpful..
anyways, what exactly is it? a sound with some older influented(influented is a word?) sound?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 am 

It's pleasantly surprising that the dude decided to throw in a Type-O style into the jam amongst other mainstream acts.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 am 

niix wrote:
so, googled 'mum doom'.. and that sure was not very helpful..
anyways, what exactly is it? a sound with some older influented(influented is a word?) sound?

Based on that song Metantoine posted I'd say stuff coming out of the retro doom niche sounding a little bit too much like just straight up stoner rock. But female fronted.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481 ... 518  Next