Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 pm 

I've seen both; well, sort of. I couldn't make it an hour into Showgirls, but I managed to watch all of Striptease. Take from that what you will (aside from a recommendation for either, of course).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:06 pm 

Having seen Showgirls before, I find it pretty hilarious with all its heavy melodrama and overly indulgent sex scenes. Part of me wants to watch Striptease solely for the curiosity factor, so knowing whether or not it's funny bad or annoying bad will factor in as to whether or not to spend the two hours on it (Dear fuck, Striptease is two hours? Why?).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 pm 

I would agree with that assessment, Subrick. Striptease is kind of shit, but it DOES have Demi Moore stripping so it's hard to condemn it for more than 98% of it's content. Also, keep in mind that I'm actually a fan of Showgirls. It's perfect sleaze, and Gina Gersher and the guy from Twin Peaks are :lol: in it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:11 pm 

Kyle MacLachlan just can't catch a break with movies, can he? He really is a good actor. He just managed to star in two legendary flops, those being Showgirls and Dune.

As for "perfect sleaze", I'll throw Caligula into that category as well. It's insane just how...well, insane that movie is. One of the movies you really do need to see to believe.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:52 pm 

I vaguely recall seeing Striptease once, a few years ago. Wait, now I'm second-guessing myself. Did I actually see it, or am I just recalling parts of it that were in the trailer?

OK. Assuming I really did watch it, Striptease was nowhere near as enjoyable to me as Showgirls. I'm not even comparing them on a T&A basis either. Showgirls has all these little moments I like that even work in the heavily edited basic cable version, like the way Nomi pronounces Versace. Or the repeated scenes of her getting angry about something, and storming off camera.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

Oh shit, Subrick, you share an opinion with the Cinema Snob? This is certainly a first :p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

Strip Tease is an awesome, funny as hell book by Carl Hiaasen, shame it got turned into an apparently awful film.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:07 am 

It has an 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. That certainly qualifies as awful to me.

Also, if there's any one thing Showgirls definitely has over Striptease, it's that it served the purpose of being the guinea pig for the cinematic experiment of "Can you wide release an NC-17 movie and make it work?". Even with it failing miserably it still has that historical significance to it.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 am 

Just watched Threads- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/
Not much of a movie watcher but I find cold war, nuclear theory etc. very interesting. This really brought it home- all the talk about casualties etc. are little substitute for something that is so close to the real thing. Builds tension and as soon as the bombs hit, it really gets relentlessly bleak. There's a few million devastating scenes, and it's remarkably accurate from what I can tell.. All in all can't really recommend it highly enough. Crazy to think that in the cold war this scenario happening was a possibility, and that a possibility of it remains even now.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 am 

pretty sure it has been mentioned-
'the Holy Mountain'... you know, all i can really say is; life changing as all hell. no idea where to really start, yet the whole, 70's feel-to-fade of it is so haunting. eat acid (preferred not to, really) sit back and watch everything you ever knew just take a beautiful shit inside of your mind.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 am 

Saw a few movies.

Stand-Up Guys: This was not nearly as bad as I expected considering I loathe oldpeoplesploitation (which is weirdly prevalent these days for some reason.) It's got some very solid acting, is worth a few chuckles here and there, and has an ending that both feels like a cop out and the only thing that would have really worked. The tone isn't very heavy considering the subject matter and it makes for some decent, if not wholly memorable, late night viewing if you're a fan of the actors involved.

Devil in a Blue Dress: Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors ever and film noir one of my favourite genres, so it was inevitable that I would see this at some point. It unfolds at a perfect pace, with loads of that good old noir foreshadowing. Don Cheadle is even in it and steals every scene. It's set in the 40's and they did a great job evoking the era with everything like the look, music, costumes, and racial tensions (which play a huge part in the film).Definitely worth a watch.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 am 

Oh, and also saw The Conversation. Excellent movie about a surveillance expert (brilliantly played by Gene Hackman) that's even more relevant today than when it was released. Very much an incredibly personal movie about this paranoid, repressed man, it focuses solely on Hackman, masterfully building tension while giving us insight into the character, bit by bit. It ended up being way more insanely bleak than I expected, but that's a large part of the appeal, as is the director giving us all the information to piece things together except one thing you can't quite put your finger on...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 am 

Captain Phillips: I watched this last night for lack of something better to watch. I thought it was pretty good. Good, not as an original movie, but it kept me engaged throughout the movie. It was kinda predictable but which hostage-movie isn't? If only Steven Seagal was there to make this movie cheesy) But I digress, this had some solid acting performances, especially Barkhad Abdi who played the Somali pirate called Muse. I understand why this movie got snubbed by the Oscars because it didn't really offer something new, but this is a good movie for what it's worth.

Spoiler: show
If I ever hear a Somali say, "Don't worry, everything is gonna be alright". I'm running the fuck away from that dude in the opposite direction!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 pm 

Berberian Sound Studio: Boring, goes nowhere, don't watch it. That's all that needs to be said.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:58 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Oh, and also saw The Conversation. Excellent movie about a surveillance expert (brilliantly played by Gene Hackman) that's even more relevant today than when it was released. Very much an incredibly personal movie about this paranoid, repressed man, it focuses solely on Hackman, masterfully building tension while giving us insight into the character, bit by bit. It ended up being way more insanely bleak than I expected, but that's a large part of the appeal, as is the director giving us all the information to piece things together except one thing you can't quite put your finger on...

Yeah, The Conversation is a classic. It's definitely fascinating how much more relevant it's become, too; no matter how good your surveillance techniques are, no matter how well-meaning the people doing the surveillance, the fact is that if you're monitoring private conversations between people who know each other well, there's going to be tons and tons of subtext that just goes way over your head. It's all too easy to jump to conclusions based on insufficient info.

I hate to say it but this is one movie I wouldn't mind seeing remade and updated for the modern day, assuming they could get a good enough cast & crew behind it. The methods of surveillance have just changed so much since The Conversation was filmed that it would create an almost entirely different feel to the movie, would be interesting to see. Hackman's character would probably be sitting in an office somewhere miles from the people he's monitoring, checking through pages of text-based correspondence. He'd probably be much more involved in their daily lives, sifting through so much mundane correspondence in search of whatever the client is looking for, but also weirdly detached, as unlike in the original movie he's never seen or heard these people in person.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hmm, sounds interesting. Very pretentious, just the way I like them. Don't think I've even heard of it before. Is it anything like The Lives of Others?

Actually that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask: Anyone here know any good films that, like The Lives of Others, are set in Soviet-era Europe/Eastern Europe, or Soviet-era Russia/China? Preferably from the Cold War era on, though any decade in there would do. I'd really like to check out more films that deal directly with that type of totalitarian reality but hardly any references come to mind. Anyone got any good ones?

The films of Zhang Yimou come to mind, I guess, but so much of his stuff has to do with rural/peasant life, not really with the police state at all.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:28 pm 

I re watched Nebraska (bought it on Blu ray recently), it's one of my personal favorite films from last year, it's such a shame, it didn't get any Oscars wins but that's fine, I love Alexander Payne films (Election and About Schmidt are my favorite from him)

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 pm 

I'm sure if it's exactly what you're after but The Way Back (2010) is set during the Soviet era and touches upon the Russian side of world war 2. It's a good film but of course not without it's faults, but it's just a notch under Rescue Dawn in terms of inspiring escaping/survivalist movies.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 am 

Finally saw The Wolf of Wall Street and damn, one hell of a movie. I really like how it does social commentary/satire without shamelessly shoving the message down your throat. It's interesting how they portray an obvious bad guy in a way that makes you almost empathize with him. I like the way it shows the gradual corruption of a man. It's three hours long, but I honestly wouldn't mind if it had been longer. That quaaludes scene was probably the funniest thing I've seen all year. Good shit through and through.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!!
EVERYTHING IS COOL WHEN YOU'RE PART OF A TEAM!!!!

I saw the Lego movie a couple days ago, and it's all I've been able to say since then
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!!
EVERYTHING IS COOL WHEN YOU'RE PART OF A TEAM!!!!

I saw the Lego movie a couple days ago, and it's all I've been able to say since then

Dude, that's my jam!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm 

^ You spoiler-d the wrong text. Shouldn't it be the other way 'round?

@dystopia4 - Loved the movie as I mentioned earlier and Jonah Hill kinda redeems himself after a (long) string of shitty comic roles.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:48 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Finally saw The Wolf of Wall Street and damn, one hell of a movie. I really like how it does social commentary/satire without shamelessly shoving the message down your throat. It's interesting how they portray an obvious bad guy in a way that makes you almost empathize with him. I like the way it shows the gradual corruption of a man. It's three hours long, but I honestly wouldn't mind if it had been longer. That quaaludes scene was probably the funniest thing I've seen all year. Good shit through and through.

After watching Wolf, I felt like Dicaprio needs to go to back to Baz Luhrman and say "Now *this* is how you actually make a movie satirizing/commenting on the excesses of the upper class, dumbass."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm 

Luhrman didn't really have much to work with though. The Great Gatsby as a book stinks, so any subsequent adaptations of it are doomed to failure as well. The 70s version with Robert Redford is testament to that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm 

Oh please, The Great Gatsby does not "stink."

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm 

What a beardscratcher.

Anyone seen the movie 'Boy'? It's a beautiful comedy-drama from New Zealand. Quickly became one of my favourite movies I've had the pleasure of seeing.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm 

Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy was a significant improvement over the plodding, lazily paced mess that was Chan-wook Park's obscenely overrated original. It still wasn't great, but it was probably about as good as the original film's ridiculously convoluted (and psychologically inaccurate) premise would allow. Was great to see the shitty framed narrative and retarded camera tricks (a hallmark of Park's overblown, self-indulgent directing style) get chopped off entirely, too. Definitely worth your time.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy was a significant improvement over the plodding, lazily paced mess that was Chan-wook Park's obscenely overrated original. It still wasn't great, but it was probably about as good as the original film's ridiculously convoluted (and psychologically inaccurate) premise would allow. Was great to see the shitty framed narrative and retarded camera tricks (a hallmark of Park's overblown, self-indulgent directing style) get chopped off entirely, too. Definitely worth your time.

Oh my god, THANK YOU. That's exactly my opinion on Oldboy, though you put it better than I could. Fucking hell that movie sucks. I mean, I'm not going to watch the remake, but at least SOMEONE agrees with me. Why everyone and their mothers loves it, I will never come close to understanding.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:06 pm 

Hooray! Glad to see I'm not getting gang-lynched over this here like I probably would on IMDB.

You might actually get a kick out of it, Necro. Spike Lee reinvents the film as a reverse-Blaxploitation film, and it does wonders for it. Super unpretentious and grounded. Not to mention it's like an hour shorter than the original, has absolutely uncompromisingly brutal violence (far, far surpassing that of Park's original) and Lizzie Olsen's impressive set of... well, you know.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:18 pm 

"Tracts of land", they're called.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Fair criticisms I think, it does require a rather active effort to ignore it's implausibility. I did like the ending though and that fight scene in the hallway is absolutely awesome.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm 

I wasn't a big fan of the ending (of either version, really), but I'll readily admit that the hallway scene was pretty much amazing. Spike Lee didn't improve on it, but I do think he did it justice. I think the original's hallway scene still holds up as the better, though, if only because it was so unexpected.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:56 pm 

I remember thinking the original Oldboy was stupidly contrived and just awful, though now I can't even recall what the hell happened in it. Had no idea it had gotten a Spike Lee remake. Weird.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 pm 

Spike Lee is kind of a tard too, so it's surprising that he made something worthwile.
I'm just dropping by to say that I hate Gina Carrano and I hope her movie career keeps flopping and never gets off the ground.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 pm 

I didn't hate the Oldboy remake the way many of those IMDB people did, nor did I hate the original the way some people here did. I'd recommend either movie to anybody in the mood for a mystery / thriller, as long as you don't mind something a little twisted.

I'm actually trying to decide if I should watch the other movies in the Park "Vengeance Trilogy." My cable company put those under the free movie section within the past month or so; hopefully they're the subtitled versions because I can't stand dubbing. There's also another Korean movie I've heard good things about called I Saw the Devil. Anybody seen that?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 pm 

I haven't seen I Saw the Devil yet but I've heard good things.

The other two Vengeance movies aren't as good as Oldboy, I don't think. They're still enjoyable but they just don't feel as organic as Oldboy does. I also like Park Chan-Wook's Thirst and I'm a Cyborg but That's OK. I thought Stoker was decent, as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm 

Just watched Don Jon, cool little movie with good criticisms about sex in our society. JLG is solid and Scarlett Johansson is able as a total bitch! Julianne Moore is pretty good too as usual. Nothing ground breaking but it was well done.

Concerning Oldboy, I thought the original was decent but definitely overrated, I have no interest in watching the remake even if I like Brolin.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 pm 

Oldboy is implausible, sure, but it feels so romantic in how grandiose and bizarre it is - it's a huge, expressive film and I think it's awesome. It's got a sort of Shakespearean sweep to the drama that, while kind of archaic and weird by today's standards, is just so engaging. Plus the action is fucking awesome as mentioned.

I Saw the Devil is alright. It's violent as hell, and interesting for sure, but - and take this as someone who just said he loves the implausibility and over-the-top plot of Oldboy - the plot is ludicrous. If you hated that aspect of Oldboy, I Saw the Devil is way worse in that regard.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 pm 

Ah, that's unfortunate. I was planning on watching that. It looked much better than Oldboy. I suppose I'll watch The Good, the Bad, and the Weird instead. Been trying to get into more foreign cinema. Has anyone seen Tarr Bela's Damnation? That looks brilliant.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm 

I've been meaning to check out Bela Tarr's stuff but for whatever reason never get around to it. Probably has something to do with the fact that all his movies look to be psychologically desolating and a minimum of 2.5 hours long. I guess it's more the running time than anything.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464 ... 818  Next