Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 am 

Well, it's easy. Who of these two Japanese traditional metal groups do you prefer more and why?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 am 

Anthem. Haven't heard Loudness' stuff past '06, but it was mainly groove/nu-metal and Minoru started yelling instead of singing to compensate/compete with the downtuned guitars. Anthem at least still has that core heavy/semi-power sound.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 am 

Anthem by a long shot. Both bands have some classic albums under their belts, but Anthem is one of my favourite bands, having pumped out some ridiculously great albums in the 00s, too. (Immortal being my favourite of the bunch, though). As a matter of fact, I would say some of their very best are from the 00s: Eizo still sings with a lot of power and hits the high, shrieky notes nicely (a shame he isn't in the band anymore), the riffage is still pleasing with even better soloing than on their early albums, not to forget the basslines, Naoto Shibata being one of my favourite bassists, his bass-playing being a central component to the band's sound to me in the same way, say, Harris's playing is to Iron Maiden's, with throbbing and powerful basslines, which sometimes do their own thing more creatively, too. The band just sounds really vital and they can write some nice rocking tunes with huge choruses, as well as more power/speed metal-y faster tunes, as well as the shred-heavy instrumentals etc. Just a class act all-around, embodying everything I love about the more 'traditional' forms of metal.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am 

Anthem!

You have three back to back albums that really kick-ass (88-90) that are chock full of riffs. "Hungry Soul" and "Voice of the Thunderstorm" on No Smoke without Fire, "Jailbreak", "The Juggler", and the title track off of Hunting Time, and like half the fucking album on Gypsy Ways. I enjoy those three albums quite a bit, and think that they are just solid metal efforts. Plus, like WwS said, they didn't switch to shit groove later in their career.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm 

Dude, Anthem. Eizo Sakamoto's voice is one of my favorites from Japan. His stuff from the '80s and from the returning years is great. Loudness I never got into, but even their glam album wasn't bad to my ears last I heard it. This thread makes me want to hear the non-Eizo albums. Just saw the page and he isn't even in the band anymore! They got the guy who replaced him before, which still has me interested.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:07 pm 

I need to check out these japanese heavy metal bands sometime..

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:11 pm 

Well, Anthem is certainly more consistently good, but classic Loudness is the greatest. SOme of that later Loudness stuff really is bad though.

And Frog, posting in the FFA about how you don't get most traditional metal bands, and then praising Anthem. You're full of surprises, man! haha
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:13 pm 

I'm a huge fan of early Loudness. Ashamed to say I didn't know Anthem. I just checked out a few Youtube links and they seem pretty cool!

But they better be amazing to top Loudness. The latter can be silly at times but when on their game, hard to beat.

HeavyMetalGamer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm 

I really enjoy early Loudness, but Anthem is so much better.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 pm 

For me, it's definitely Loudness. They are one of the earliest, greatest and most consistent hevay metal bands in the world. Anthem only started four years later with their first studio album and they were even gone for nine years when the heavy metal scene would have needed some inspiration in the nineties. If I had to write down the five most important heavy metal bands around the world, I would probably name Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Loudness, Aria and Tang Dynasty. The problem is that many people only know Loudness' most famous records of the eighties and maybe early nineties. Their last full length release "2012" was absolutely amazing and more people should listen to it. People say that modern Loudness are bad but most of them only listened to one or two albums and didn't continue to follow them. You should catch them up because while the other bands mentioned above often take 4 to 6 years to come around with a new record (and honestly said, the last records by Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were disappointing), Loudness releases very solid records every year or second year.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:07 pm 

Definitely Anthem. To me Loudness sometimes sound more commercial/hard-rock, but even if not so at times, I still prefer Anthem.

I've been listening to Flatbacker/Fratvacker too, great Japanese band.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 pm 

kluseba wrote:
For me, it's definitely Loudness. They are one of the earliest, greatest and most consistent hevay metal bands in the world. Anthem only started four years later with their first studio album and they were even gone for nine years when the heavy metal scene would have needed some inspiration in the nineties. If I had to write down the five most important heavy metal bands around the world, I would probably name Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Loudness, Aria and Tang Dynasty. The problem is that many people only know Loudness' most famous records of the eighties and maybe early nineties. Their last full length release "2012" was absolutely amazing and more people should listen to it. People say that modern Loudness are bad but most of them only listened to one or two albums and didn't continue to follow them. You should catch them up because while the other bands mentioned above often take 4 to 6 years to come around with a new record (and honestly said, the last records by Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were disappointing), Loudness releases very solid records every year or second year.

Well yeah but the last Iron Maiden album had The Talisman on it.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic