Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AndreasS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:18 pm 

Lately, it's become a trend to add durations of songs from on-line streams (including but not limited to youtube, spotify...). This happened to the new Kampfar and, as I just found out a few moments ago, also to the last Shade Empire album (where the correct durations were replaced by longer false ones...). There are more examples, but since I usually just fix 'em right away, I can't remember what they were.

Often, this problem arises because those on-line sources/streams add a few seconds of silence to the beginning/end of the songs, meaning the durations are off (often by as much as 5-15 seconds). I know this is only a small issue, but it bugs the hell out of me! As does all false information, btw.

Only correct information should be added to the archives. I would like to bring this matter to the attention of the staff and other users. It would save a lot of trouble if people would only add information about albums they actually have lying in front of them, in physical form :P But since that's a bit too much to ask I suppose, a small head's up should be fine, too.

I am also wondering if there are other users who noticed the same issue.

Thank you for your time.

/Andreas

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 am 

Albums can be added before they're released as long as there's enough information (release date, track listing, etc.). So, often albums get added before anyone has the physical release in their hands, with the only source of information for track lengths often being streams.

If track lengths are wrong, either fix it or report it. We're not going to change policy just because sometimes the track lengths on the CD differ from the information that's available when albums are added to the site.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.