Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
logan6511 wrote:
Glen Benton-Deicide- told fans to fuck off when asked to sign some autographs.

to be fair, autographs are really gay

Indeed.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm 

Met Steve DiGorgio at Death To All. Super awesome guy and complimented my Sadus shirt :-D

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 am 

Regarding inquiries about Satanic Warmaster's suppposed childishness and arrogance, here's something from his last.fm. Read from down upwards.

http://i.imgur.com/gG8lBA9.jpg

ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 am 

Gary Holt has been super cool every time I've had the chance to talk to him. Fan friendly for sure.

Kerry King was actually really cool when I met him.

Trey Azagthoth was weird but nice.

Haven't met any d bags that are in "name" bands.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Regarding inquiries about Satanic Warmaster's suppposed childishness and arrogance, here's something from his last.fm. Read from down upwards.

http://i.imgur.com/gG8lBA9.jpg

He should take the broomstick out of his ass, the evil witch. :finger:

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm 

When Megadeth came to my town last year we (me and a couple other dudes) found out which hotel they were staying at, so we went there to wait until they came out. Fuckers just stayed inside where everyone could see them but wouldn't even wave at us. Finally Ellefson came out, let us take a couple of pics, then this short bald dude comes out and tells us to stay away like we were gonna murder him or something. The rest of the band except for Mustaine left while the bald guy kept us far from them, and the hotel staff later told us Mustaine left through the back door.

I wonder how they felt when they were 20 and waiting for their favorite musicians to come out and stand next to them for 5 seconds. Fucking pricks.

Sy Keeler from Onslaught, on the other hand, is a really chill guy.

EDIT: I once Skype'd with Messiah Marcolin and the dude is just awesome. His father called him through the phone and he actually told him to wait, that he was talking to a fan. Great guy.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm 

Pretty much all band members I've met have been super cool, really down to earth people. Some talk more than others because they're just more talkative, but they were all very modest and humble and friendly. One highlight was when I met Jason William Walton of Agalloch. My brother went up to him and said "You're great!" and Jason said "So are you!"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

philbrandeaux wrote:
When Megadeth came to my town last year we (me and a couple other dudes) found out which hotel they were staying at, so we went there to wait until they came out. Fuckers just stayed inside where everyone could see them but wouldn't even wave at us. Finally Ellefson came out, let us take a couple of pics, then this short bald dude comes out and tells us to stay away like we were gonna murder him or something. The rest of the band except for Mustaine left while the bald guy kept us far from them, and the hotel staff later told us Mustaine left through the back door.

I wonder how they felt when they were 20 and waiting for their favorite musicians to come out and stand next to them for 5 seconds. Fucking pricks.

To be fair, hanging out after a show to try to meet the band is one thing, hanging out outside their hotel and waiting for them to come out is another thing entirely. I'd leave out the back door or tell you to piss off too.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:28 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
philbrandeaux wrote:

To be fair, hanging out after a show to try to meet the band is one thing, hanging out outside their hotel and waiting for them to come out is another thing entirely. I'd leave out the back door or tell you to piss off too.

If I knew a bunch of kids who pretty much worship me and the music I make are waiting outside my hotel just for a chance to meet me in person, I'd come down and hang out with them for a while. It's not like we were gonna murder them or something.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:31 pm 

Eh, its their hotel man. Maybe they just wanted to relax for a little while before the gig and not have to deal with other people. That, and they might just have not been in the mood to deal with meeting fans in person at the time. Devin Townsend said it best I think, that some days you just dont wanna deal with people even if they are your fans.
Hehe, foreskins.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:49 pm 

Gotta admit if a musician walked past and couldn't give two shits then I wouldn't be too happy about it, but intentionally seeking them down and expecting them to sign stuff just because you want them to isn't the best way of dealing with things. The 'short guy' especially being there to protect the band/hotels interests given you're on private property and for liability purposes.

Having signed anything doesn't interest me much anymore these days to be fair, its just a scribble and detracts from the actual purpose of being a musician which is to make music and not to be flaunting themselves off like a Hollywood A-Lister.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
Gotta admit if a musician walked past and couldn't give two shits then I wouldn't be too happy about it, but intentionally seeking them down and expecting them to sign stuff just because you want them to isn't the best way of dealing with things. The 'short guy' especially being there to protect the band/hotels interests given you're on private property and for liability purposes.

Having signed anything doesn't interest me much anymore these days to be fair, its just a scribble and detracts from the actual purpose of being a musician which is to make music and not to be flaunting themselves off like a Hollywood A-Lister.

Yeah, seriously, don't fucking haunt them. If you're just bullshitting with them at the merch booth or in the parking lot and you wanna ask for an autograph, that's okay. If you're following them into the bathrooms, to the local Burger King, or to their hotel just to beg for an autograph, however, they have every right to tell you to go fuck yourself.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 pm 

You know, I always been curious if the band members of blind guardian are nice people, have yet to meet or see them live, waiting for them to go on tour cause last they toured in san fran I didn't have my license and now that i drive and make money I could go see them if they come to California. Kinda sucks that the closest city that has metal gigs is 3 hours from my city, but hey its better than most people.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:44 pm 

I used to talk to Steeve Hurdle of Gorguts and Negativa on facebook sometimes. He was a really laid back guy, always messaged me back. He said he was excited to hear my band's album that's coming out here pretty soon, but he never got the chance. We're gonna "dedicate" the album to him, seeing as he's basically our biggest influence (Luc admits that the majority of the Obscura sound was due to Steeve and the drummer at the time.) It's a real shame he had to go. I wish I could've heard the project he was working on Chaos Chaos Infinite Wonder, everything he did was incredible.

On a kind of related note, I got to speak with John Longstreth for a little bit after an Origin show last May. Basically I just told him that they kick ass and they put on a great show and I asked him about the Gorguts album that is coming out. He didn't have much to say other than "record labels suck" and that when it came to touring with them he'd love to, but Origin will always come first.

I met Corpsegrinder at a show awhile back and he signed my ticket, I don't remember much of what we talked about due to having a huge headache from headbanging, but holy shit that guy is fucking big. He doesn't really look like it but his legs are fucking tree trunks and he could easily palm your skull like a basketball.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:01 am 

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but in what band does Subrick play?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but in what band does Subrick play?

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/P ... ick/380893
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 am 

Thanks

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm 

All of the guys in Iced Earth are very laid back. The first Iced Earth show I went to (this was right after Barlow came back), Matt Barlow complimented me on my Redskins shirt and talked a bit about the old 80's Redskins teams. Jon Schaffer let me and two of my friends on their tour bus the last time we saw them - except, granted, we already had something of a pre established connection with him, so it's not like we were strangers. But he bought us Chinese food after their show and we watched Apocalyptico on their tour bus. I'll always remember that.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm 

Dave Ingram from Bendiction, absolutely solid guy. Was rattling his ear off about his time in Bolt Thrower and he showed me his deadly BT tattoo.
Sakis Tolis has to be one of the least pretentious guys around, I reckon he'd be the guy to call a spade a spade, if you were an ass then he'd say it :D but he was sound to me and is damn good to his fans. Thats it sadly though, unless you count local bands.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:40 pm 

Pretty much everyone I've had a chance to meet was really cool and haven't met any musician I could say a bad thing about, but the coolest, warmest, friendliest person I've had a chance to talk to is by far Vincent Cavanagh of Anathema. Hard to describe it really, just everything about him seems friendly and he's just so down to earth overall, seems like exactly the kind of sensitive and positive person their last two albums seem to show.

As for the rest of the band, Danny seemed pretty cool but only got to talk to him for a short moment (more fans were asking him stuff), and Lee is just really cute and friendly as well. Jamie Cavanagh and Daniel Cardoso were floating around and not sure if they were sober anymore :lol: and I overlooked John Douglas somewhere. :(

Seriously that one meeting ultimately sealed their position as my favourite band of all time, and Vincent as possibly my favourite musician (definitely singer at least).

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Dave Ingram from Bendiction, absolutely solid guy. Was rattling his ear off about his time in Bolt Thrower and he showed me his deadly BT tattoo.
Sakis Tolis has to be one of the least pretentious guys around, I reckon he'd be the guy to call a spade a spade, if you were an ass then he'd say it :D but he was sound to me and is damn good to his fans. Thats it sadly though, unless you count local bands.

Sakis is the man, I've always liked his attitude about things

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm 

The Hate Eternal guys have also been chill as fuck. Spent most of the night joking around with them and I can safely say that they were some of the chillest, most down-to-earth cats I've ever met. Also, Jade's a goddamn riot. Once that kid has a couple beers, he'll start saying some of the funniest shit ever.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 pm 

Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse is an awesome dude. Very friendly and fan-oriented.

Suffocation is also awesome. Terrance Hobbs and Frank Mullen, in particular.

The singer of Blackguard is cool as hell.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:13 pm 

Anyone ever met guys from Amorphis?
I'd like to have a couple cds signed this March when they play in Croatia, so what can I expect?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:22 pm 

Went to see Avantasia, met Jorn Lande, Tobias, Paeth(possible mispelling), Catley. The coolest guy was Lande, such a musician that cares for their fans. Obviously the douchiest was Tobias.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 pm 

I met Trey Azagthoth last November...he is probably one of the most intelligent (and nicest) people I've ever met. When we talked, we had a long conversation about everything from religion and philosophy, to "Ageless Still I Am" and "Curse the Flesh", to Nocturnus...and just went on and on and on, and keeping up became very difficult after awhile :lol:. It was very, very inspirational to hear him talk (he recommended me some more books after I got him to sign my copy of the "Necronomicon"). He stood outside the tour bus for an extremely long time, just hanging out, signing stuff, taking pictures and such with a huge crowd surrounding him that got bigger and bigger. His father had just died the night before, so maybe that had something to do with it.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25 am 

true_death wrote:
I met Trey Azagthoth last November...he is probably one of the most intelligent (and nicest) people I've ever met. When we talked, we had a long conversation about everything from religion and philosophy, to "Ageless Still I Am" and "Curse the Flesh", to Nocturnus...and just went on and on and on, and keeping up became very difficult after awhile :lol:. It was very, very inspirational to hear him talk (he recommended me some more books after I got him to sign my copy of the "Necronomicon"). He stood outside the tour bus for an extremely long time, just hanging out, signing stuff, taking pictures and such with a huge crowd surrounding him that got bigger and bigger. His father had just died the night before, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I'm jealous, sounds like a priceless experience.

Lord_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 am 

I met Maurizio Iacono a few months back during Kataklysm's tour with Fleshgod Apocalypse and Krisiun. Although it was a brief encounter he was nevertheless very friendly and happy to say hello.

Whilst not meeting them per say I have also shaken the hands of Karl Sanders and Brian Ross.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:04 am 

I really don't like to think of myself as a 'fan', and never go out of my way to meet people from bands, but have met a fair few over the years.

Stand out memories of decent people over the years for me would be Max and Igor from Sepultura, who saw me and some friends freezing our bollocks off after a show waiting for a taxi and invited us on their tour bus to stay warm. Quite a language barrier, but really nice guys through and through. During their Arise tour, so probably around 1991.

King Fowley and Mike Smith of Deceased, really friendly and chatty, despite King not really having a grasp of English sarcasm! King could certainly talk, and wasn't shy about his opinions (mainly about bands I liked but he hated), but two great people.

Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, spoke to him quite a few times over the years, always remembered me and would come over for a chat. Genuinely friendly and seemed interested in talking.

Lars Rosenberg of Entombed. Nice guy, was my wife's pen-pal for a time, got us into loads of gigs for free!

Shame Embury and Mitch Harris of Napalm Death. Just a nice blokes who weren't full of themselves, friends of someone in a band I was in.

Tom Lindberg of At the Gates. Only met him once, but really remember him as being a humble down to earth guy who just wanted to talk for ages about music.

Probably met a few more over the years, and forgot about them, but those are the ones who stood out for me.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:18 am 

Luc Lemay was great when I spoke to him briefly at a Gorguts show a year or 2 ago. Also I remember Mikael Akerfeldt being really good to talk to, met him at an Opeth DVD signing thing, I was mainly discussing Katatonia with him but I think he was enjoying the conversation not being "Hi *signature* thanks bye" or raging Opeth fanboyism like just about everyone else there was doing. My friends in particular were almost shocked at how I just went up to the guy and struck up a conversation as if I'd known him all my life. I don't do hero worship.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:16 am 

Matt Harvey of Exhumed is a really quality, down-to-earth guy. Always a pleasure.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:51 pm 

My girlfirend and I had the pleasure of meeting Overkill and Kreator. All of 'em were nice, friendly guys, especially the dudes in Kreator. The only person I think seemed kinda douchey was DD Verni; he didn't talk to to fans all that much and rarely even made eye contact. Hell when I was getting some of CD's signed, he just scribbled his name on it quick as possible and slid it on down the line.

Come to think on it, he really did suck ass.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 am 

corpsewithoutsoul wrote:
I met Mark Shelton & Bryan Patrick of Manilla Road in Calgary this past September.
Incredibly nice guys, so humble in spite of being such legendary musicians. They were so grateful as it was their first time playing a show in Canada and didn't think they'd get such a positive reception.
They were even willing to pose for a heinous photograph! Great guys.

now, THAT'S a cool photo!

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 am 

I remember bumping into Ben Carter (EVILE) at Bloodstock in 2007. Nice fella who was giving around a few beers at the time, had a chat with him for a few minutes outside the station waiting for the festival bus to turn up. Just talking briefly about music, bands, the festival in general.

Deathroll92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 am 

Gorod - Met all the members, twice. They are great, funny guys, and very close to their fans.

Disma - Really cool dudes, they're fucking impressive physically, specially Randi, the bassist.

Convulse - Great guys also, really chill. Bought some stuff from them during after their set and we talked a little.

Manimal - Those dude are not from this world, I never saw so chill, decontracted people in my life.

Trepalium - I met Harun, the guitarist, great guy, we talked about caucasian and eastern music before the show.

Now the bad one:

Obliteration - I didn't liked them during their set but I stayed inside for respect's sake. After the show I crossed the singer (who was acting like a pretentious prick during the set, by the way) and wanted to thank him for the show, even if I didn't like their music. That fucker ignored me and looked at me like a was a piece of shit.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 pm 

I've interviewed a few bands over the years for various blogs/radio stations. Honestly, I've never come across a band/member I didn't like. I've learned that if a band is nice enough to a) take the time to do sit-down interviews and b) do said interviews on their tour bus, they're going to be nice people.

Eluveitie - Interviewed Chrigel during their first US tour. Super friendly, made me a gin and tonic.

Dark Tranquillity - Super nice guys, enthusiastic and happy. Mikael's stage persona is basically the same as he is in person.

Melechesh - Ashmedi was probably the most pretentious musician I've met. Very friendly, but he detaches himself from the scene because he thinks he's better than everyone else in it. But still interesting to hear his perspective, even if I don't agree with it.

Primordial - Alan is incredibly passionate and easygoing. Honestly can't remember much about meeting him since this was like 6 years ago.

Agalloch - John is pretty full of himself, but Don is a great guy. I found myself sitting next to him at a bar once, he spent 30 minutes talking to me about music and beer instead of paying attention to his girlfriend.

Vreid - Again, very happy and genuine.

Woods of Ypres/Thrawsunblat - The Woods guys crashed at my house on their final tour. I've never met someone so happy about life and passionate about his music as David. Really an incredible guy. I still keep in touch with Joel, he's super chill.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:03 pm 

Got a chance to meet a couple of the guys from Metal Church at a meet and greet before a show this last Tuesday and they were pretty cool guys. Jeff Plate went on a bit of a tangent about pirating when I asked if Machines of Grace was still around and Kurdt Vanderhoof was pretty amused when I told him that Hanging In The Balance was my favorite Metal Church album.

The_Orator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Glen Benton = Ultimate Douche

The dudes from Immolation are pretty cool though

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Deathroll92 wrote:
Obliteration - I didn't liked them during their set but I stayed inside for respect's sake. After the show I crossed the singer (who was acting like a pretentious prick during the set, by the way) and wanted to thank him for the show, even if I didn't like their music. That fucker ignored me and looked at me like a was a piece of shit.

Never heard much of their music, but the singer came across as very pretentious in the interview I read in Decibel. I thought they were supposed to be "the saviors of death metal" but in the interview he came across as very hostile towards the whole scene and ultimately, one of those people who plays metal but tries to distance himself from it for whatever reason.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:12 pm 

The_Orator wrote:
Glen Benton = Ultimate Douche

The dudes from Immolation are pretty cool though

I would like to hear more about Immolation if you'd like to share. They are my favourite band, and they do seem like a very respectable bunch of guys. Dolan comes across as very passionate and energetic, while Vigna seems more contemplative but still determined and assertive.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next