Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:12 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Yeah, let's not make gender stereotypes based on anecdotical evidence. All the female metalheads I know are knowledgeable enough and often listen to much better bands than the guys too! The only observation I've made is that females are sometimes much more interested in metal apparel like patch vests - I mean that they seem to spend a lot of time designing theirs, since they look fantastic and really detailed.

Most also seem less likely to shove their metalness in others' faces in that obnoxious poseurly way.

It's just a weird case I've seen sometimes. My wife knows more death metal bands than I do for example.

I'm listening Dawn's Slaughtersun. Will these guys release something else anytime? I remember they were working on something but nothing more.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Erosion of Humanity: Yep, we're planning to release it physically. Unless we're going to be really, really disappointed with the end results, there will ve a CD and some kind of promotion.

Super! I doubt I'll see any of the promotional stuff unless you spam the boards here. So just make sure you save me a copy, I've already got the money set aside. :wink: . Also is there any plans on other merchandise like shirts and what not?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Hey, for all the fat jokes, I'm much less girthy now (210 lbs.) than I was two years ago at this time (255 lbs.).

Are you built like a greasy mini-sausage casing? In other words, what's your height?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:22 pm 

I'm 5'7".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:23 pm 

Long live the Metric System.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm 

Remember, the one time the United States tried to move over to the metric system, it failed miserably. Now the only times anybody outside a field where you need to know metrics pays attention to them here is when the Olympics are on.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm 

The women-not-knowing what's-going-on thing can be applied to any scene. I've noticed that a lot of women change and adapt for their man, and vice versa. I guess it's a way for her to let him know that she supports his interests and doesn't want to pull him away from them. That or they might just want to be with him that night.

But I have seen fewer women who are knowledgeable in metal than I would have expected. I know of one woman in particular who really introduced me to actual metal, but aside from that, most of the shows I go to are sausage fests. But I also have to account for the fact that I live in a small suburb, so the metal community is me.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Mindshadow: ENGL Savage 120w. It's not even expensive comapred to what Mesa amps cost here - add 1000€ to that to get a Mark V!

Thanks.

I was listening to Layla (Derek and the Dominos) on the radio the other day and I wondered how much of an influence it had on many metal bands, especially during the late seventies & eighties?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:

I'm much less girthy now (210 lbs.) than I was two years ago at this time (255 lbs.).

I'm 5'7".

You need to do something, man. Those knees will suffer over time and you being a drummer might face some problems. I was like 200 lb once, but I'm 5'10''. Now I go to the gym regularily and I feel immensely better.

I also was a drummer. I say 'was' cause an ankle injury made me stop playing them for a good while and now I don't have a kit anymore. When I was like 200lb, it was terrible.

Now that I have a way better condition, I might resume my drummer duties. I just need a kit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 pm 

He can do a CrossFit thing and hit tires with hammers and push carts full of grandmothers up hills.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:51 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I was listening to Layla (Derek and the Dominos) on the radio the other day and I wondered how much of an influence it had on many metal bands, especially during the late seventies & eighties?

It's a significant song and Clapton's playing influenced a lot of rock musicians, but I'm not sure of that song itself. Clapton's influence through Cream (and the Yardbirds) was certainly more significant. Cream were earlier and heavier, and other bands had really started to take off in that direction by the time Layla came out - the bands were still fans of the guy, but I think that the most significant bands had found their direction a bit earlier and they were going in the opposite direction: heavier.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I'm much less girthy now (210 lbs.) than I was two years ago at this time (255 lbs.).

I'm 5'7".

You need to do something, man. Those knees will suffer over time and you being a drummer might face some problems. I was like 200 lb once, but I'm 5'10''. Now I go to the gym regularily and I feel immensely better.

Yeah, 210 still seems a bit hefty for your height. I'm not one to talk (236 lbs, 6 foot), but I'm in the process of ceasing to be a lard-ass. I actually weigh more now than when I started lifting 4-5 times a week because muscle weighs more than fat. I do have to say that exercising regularly has put me in a much better mood, I don't feel as disgusted with myself and it has basically stopped me from becoming an alcoholic (long story).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 pm 

More fun times in the rejected bands thread:

Peyo_Sinister wrote:
Halloween wrote:
It wasn't much better. You submitted it 4 days after it was already in the queue. Yes, sometimes we take the better one but yours wasn't good enough to justify that because there wasn't much of a difference and you had a few mistakes that would have needed fixing, anyway. I was willing to transfer the info if you weren't. Let's not forget the band submission page says:
"Before submitting, PLEASE verify that the band is not already in the submission queue!"

You could have added the information to the approved submission instead of resubmitting it after it was already accepted. I was giving you that time to do that if you cared about points. I'll update it now.

wasn't much better? I specified the year of foundation, the changed names, the lyrical themes, I add picture of the band and logo, band members and everything.... Man, NIHILIFER are from my hometown, I drink with them, How couldn't be my information better? My submit was better than the approved one, if you don't want to accept it, it's another matter. I'm sorry, I'm truly sorry but my submit deserves more respect. I want the accepted one to be deleted and It's nothing to do with "points", they (Nihilifer) asked me to submit the band with all the RIGHT information, you can not just reject my submit because "wasn't on time" or "someone's submit was already on queque". Please understand my point of view. The worst part of all is now other user ROB all the information I brought to this page and take the credits. I demand my submit to be accepted and the other one deleted.

For a while there I was actually getting disappointed at the lack of hilarious angry assholes in that thread.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:20 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I'm listening Dawn's Slaughtersun. Will these guys release something else anytime? I remember they were working on something but nothing more.

You might have missed it but they came back with news last year on reissuing older material and releasing a new album soon.

https://www.facebook.com/DAWNOFFICIALBANDPAGE

Quote:
When will the album be released? will there be new album at all?. 8 songs are recorded on guitar and the 9:th final song will be ready hopefully in the coming months.

That was back in Oct 2013.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:26 pm 

Fuck yes! the shirts look great! I remember the reissue of their discography but hell, no real news about studio work yet.

Asklund is a good drummer but I hope the band won't record/mix/master the album on his Monolith studio.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 pm 

mindshadow wrote:

In any case, it inspired the name of my dog!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:39 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Yeah, 210 still seems a bit hefty for your height. I'm not one to talk (236 lbs, 6 foot), but I'm in the process of ceasing to be a lard-ass. I actually weigh more now than when I started lifting 4-5 times a week because muscle weighs more than fat. I do have to say that exercising regularly has put me in a much better mood, I don't feel as disgusted with myself and it has basically stopped me from becoming an alcoholic (long story).

I need to get back to the gym. I was at a good pace and starting to get RIIIIIIIIIIPPED, but in the last few months all I do in my free time is sleeping and drinking and now my belly is inflating.
I feel so lethargic all the time, I think i'll start using cocaine.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm 

Do *** instead, it's just as dumb but less expensive.

Edit: Censored because I just remembered what Napero said earlier.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:24 pm 

Napero wrote:
It took Horna the Cat, sitting on my chest with his 6 kg bulk, gently bitch-slapping the side of my nose with a face that essentially said "it would seem to, like, everybody, that this is a perfect time to feed a starving little cute poor kitten, don't you think? Do you? DO YOU??!!" for me to manage to get up.

Our cat does this to me on basically a daily basis (though this morning she readied herself, leapt, and point-loaded my solar plexus with her 12+ lbs). I'm glad to hear I'm not just a man subordinate to a much smaller animal, but that she's following a cat strategy to get her claws unnervingly near the eyes of her daily feeder.

Speaking of cat attacks, has anyone seen that video of the cat leaping onto the face of the woman kicking snow at it? I am very pro-cat in that example.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm 

Lately my drive to work out has been stymied by my body's utter incapability of getting a decent night's sleep, even when I get the required 7-8 hours. That and my kitten-huffing addiction.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Napero wrote:
It took Horna the Cat, sitting on my chest with his 6 kg bulk, gently bitch-slapping the side of my nose with a face that essentially said "it would seem to, like, everybody, that this is a perfect time to feed a starving little cute poor kitten, don't you think? Do you? DO YOU??!!" for me to manage to get up.

Our cat does this to me on basically a daily basis (though this morning she readied herself, leapt, and point-loaded my solar plexus with her 12+ lbs). I'm glad to hear I'm not just a man subordinate to a much smaller animal, but that she's following a cat strategy to get her claws unnervingly near the eyes of her daily feeder.

Haven't you guys heard?

Spoiler: show

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:49 pm 

Breivik can't shoot real Muslims in prison, and they don't even let him shoot virtual ones in Call of Duty! Someone call Amnesty International!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:03 pm 

Starving himself to get a video game. Jesus. That's really as childish as they come.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm 

Personally I wouldn't mind him starving to death, but I suspect he'll change his mind after three days anyways. Then again Norwegian food isn't very desirable so who knows?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Then again Norwegian food isn't very desirable so who knows?

I know for a fact that if you order a Bic Mac in Oslo, they ask you if you want it with salmon or cod. True story, since the one telling it still lives.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:29 pm 

I'm not sure I want to know where that cod or salmon actually comes from. Something tells me it isn't pristine Norwegian water. The cod sandwich they sell here definitely isn't made with cod.....

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 pm 

You kinda feel you're getting old when most of the Olympic gold medalists are younger than most of your favourite albums. I need a rocking chair and a shotgun. And some moonshine. And maybe a lawn.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:32 pm 

Cod or salmon on a Big Mac at a Norwegian McDonald's.

Why not just ask you "Are you in the mood for food poisoning today?"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
She get banned then? Weird.

I was gonna say, "stop making dumb assumptions", she only just RQed and that's it... but it appears Zodi did ban her. No idea why, it was completely unnecessary. [Edit: I unbanned her.]

Subrick wrote:
And the one time she did post in the metal discussion section, her post wasn't even about metal, so I'm lead to believe she never once talked about metal.

So what? I almost never talk about metal either.

Quote:
Oh well. Nothing of value was lost.

This is highly ironic, because exactly the same could be said about you.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Cod or salmon on a Big Mac at a Norwegian McDonald's.

Why not just ask you "Are you in the mood for food poisoning today?"

There's nothing wrong with either cod or salmon. And Norwegian salmon, at least, can be pretty damn yummy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I'm not sure I want to know where that cod or salmon actually comes from. Something tells me it isn't pristine Norwegian water. The cod sandwich they sell here definitely isn't made with cod.....

I tried to eat the fillet o' 'fish' one time... it didn't end well for team me. I had bought two (this was way back when when it was still like 2 for $3.00 or something) I ate about half the first one and it started coming back up on me. I threw the rest out. Mystery fish (?) and cheese just dont mix well.

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 pm 

I didn't say there's anything wrong with those fish. It's just having them at a McDonald's seems like you're asking for trouble. The one time I ever had a filet o' fish I got food poisoning.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 pm 

Putting cod or salmon in a Big Mac is an act of blasphemy.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm 

Napero, when they ask you if you want those fish on the Big Mac, do they mean in addition to the hamburger or replacing it?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:42 pm 

Cod... CoD.... Cod of Duty!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I tried to eat the fillet o' 'fish' one time... it didn't end well for team me. I had bought two (this was way back when when it was still like 2 for $3.00 or something) I ate about half the first one and it started coming back up on me. I threw the rest out. Mystery fish (?) and cheese just dont mix well.

The mystery fish they make the sandwich out of is pollock. To quote Wikipedia:

Quote:
Pollock and other species of gadids are plagued by parasites, one of which is the cod worm, Lernaeocera branchialis, a copepod crustacean. At its final stage, the female parasite, with fertilized eggs, clings to the gills of the fish and metamorphoses into a plump, sinusoidal, wormlike body, with a coiled mass of egg strings at the rear.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm 

Marag wrote:
Putting cod or salmon in a Big Mac is an act of blasphemy.

So is claiming that what they sell is actually meat. I mean I guess it could be but I wager dollars to pesos that the bins with any fast food 'meat' really are sitting right next to the not fit for human consumption bins. Trust me, I've seen things no one should ever see. Also apparently in China McDonald's sells donkey meat.

Edit: (@subricks post) like I said, I've seen things. Eventually though you just have to suck it up and eat what you know may be poisoning you. Otherwise you'd never eat.

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:51 pm 

While we're on the subject of fast food, anybody else hear that Subway is taking an elasticity chemical out of their breads?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... d/5236537/

The chemical, Azodiacarbonamide, is commonly used in yoga mats, shoe rubber, and synthetic leather.

Oh, and McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Chick fil-a use it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ducts.html

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

So is claiming that what they sell is actually meat. I mean I guess it could be but I wager dollars to pesos that the bins with any fast food 'meat' really are sitting right next to the not fit for human consumption bins. Trust me, I've seen things no one should ever see. Also apparently in China McDonald's sells donkey meat.

Edit: (@subricks post) like I said, I've seen things. Eventually though you just have to suck it up and eat what you know may be poisoning you. Otherwise you'd never eat.

Well I'm sure it is "meat" but I'd rather about not think about the contents of the food in any restaurant, fast-food or not.
In China they have teas made of out of abortions. They are the most ecletic predators ever, if it exists, it probably is used in chinese cuisine.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm 

It's actually not a tea made from abortions. It's a tea containing an herb that can cause a natural miscarriage.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448 ... 518  Next