Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 am 

He only got banned for a week. He'll be back.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 am 

Man...Reaper is nice and all, but it is sooo damn picky and counter-intuitively designed. If anyone could please help...I don't know how this is even possible, but somehow, with just a keyboard plugged in, with live monitoring of that keyboard on...I am getting horrendous feedback. If I keep it incredibly quiet, it has a bit of hiss (which can be attributed to my ancient keyboard having a bit of hiss), but if I turn it up beyond a whisper, it just goes haywire...it seems to be doing it at about the frequency of the latency too (which I have right now at 46ms)

I had it working right before, but I don't remember how...basically I have it working except for the feedback.

Any feedback not from Reaper would be great :P

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A week or so ago. He started insulting people in the FFA, least of all Morrigan, and failsafeman booted him for it.

I wasn't insulting people. I stated a scientifically proven difference between the sexes and I guess my wording wasn't PC or whatever so I was accused of being a misogynist, which was stupid. And so I said so. And I was blatantly insulted (and I would say personally attacked) by moderators and admins and I pretty much said hey fuck off and stop misinterpreting what I typed. And as with most message boards, only the moderators are allowed to really insult people. And so I was banned. Boo hoo.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:56 pm 

kale100 wrote:
Man...Reaper is nice and all, but it is sooo damn picky and counter-intuitively designed. If anyone could please help...I don't know how this is even possible, but somehow, with just a keyboard plugged in, with live monitoring of that keyboard on...I am getting horrendous feedback. If I keep it incredibly quiet, it has a bit of hiss (which can be attributed to my ancient keyboard having a bit of hiss), but if I turn it up beyond a whisper, it just goes haywire...it seems to be doing it at about the frequency of the latency too (which I have right now at 46ms)

I had it working right before, but I don't remember how...basically I have it working except for the feedback.

Any feedback not from Reaper would be great :P

Check the volume of your tracks that are armed for recording. If they're up really high and you have (for example) a sensitive microphone, it'll feedback. Also try using ASIO4ALL, it's free and will lower your latency. It got mine down to 11ms on my shitty laptop. Also make sure the output of your keyboard isn't too high.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply Nexus. Glad to see you back :)

Anyways, this problem happens at any combination of volumes that exceeds a certain decibel level coming out of my speakers. I have Reaper volume, regular master volume on my computer, keyboard volume, and wave volume. If ANY of those 4 is up above a whisper, I get bad feedback. The crazy part is...there is no microphone! Just my keyboard (not the one I am typing this message which mind you, the normal 61 key kind, although if I could somehow assign tones to each letter that would be badass), so I don't know how I'm getting feedback in the first place! I actually did download ASIO4ALL a while back. I can't even touch that in Reaper, less I suffer the monstrous feedback from which not even my handy dandy keyboard mute option can conquer.

I'm beginning to wonder how this whole computer fad caught on, they are more trouble than they are worth! lol

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 pm 

He's gone now for good. :/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 am 

Really? Well that sucks.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:13 pm 

Yep his insults in the musician's thread got him IP banned.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

Damn, guy doesn't know when to quit

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:10 pm 

I think the response was a bit extreme, but it's not my board.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 pm 

He really could have stated what he needed to without sounding so gaping ass-hurt. I know the mods tend to "over-enjoy" their mod powers, but he really did shit where he was eating this time.

SoulsInferno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 am 

I'm glad you described just how basic mastering actually is, I used to run around thinking "mastering" was some kind of phrase someone says they can do when they think they got a degree in something that supposedly makes money.

http://fidesinferno.bandcamp.com/

https://vacuusdoom.bandcamp.com/

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 pm 

I wouldn't agree with sending both kick and snare to same compressor, basically you'd always need different compression for those, snare needs to breath so at least it would have different attack and release than kick.
Edit: Shit I've just realized I was surfing the first page, there's a lot of updates here, damn.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yep his insults in the musician's thread got him IP banned.

I just searched for his last posts from his profile. I can't read any post in which he insulted anyone, so I guess everything was erased.

I'm a bit shocked, because I have had contradictory debates with him, but he never crossed the line of disrespect.

He was an important poster here, so I'm willing to show some support. If anyone can explain me what really happened in private, thanks by advance.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:37 pm 

He was suspended for being a jerk, came back and decided to be even more of a dick and just insult moderators a couple times for suspending him, he was banned, then he tried evading the ban on another account. If you're warned, just stop doing whatever you were warned for, don't make a point of coming back to be a dick about it. We're tolerant enough of people being abrasive/rude if that's how they come across at times (SLK is still here, after all) but behaving worse because of a warning is not acceptable.

If you're ever warned/banned and don't really understand why, feel free to email me. If you're not going to do the same thing again, then you get the point. I've been involved in this forum for a while and first joined the staff to help better take care of it. If you want to be a respectful contributor, then things can likely be worked out.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:29 pm 

*Points finger and laughs at SLK*

Kidding bro. Seriously though, I hope nexus wises up and apologizes. Then again, it is pretty metal to be banned from a metal site.... unless its for whining and playing the victim card... Oh wait

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm 

why would you laugh at me? My warnings normally consist of "stop picking on the idiots." Literally that.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 am 

@Zodijackyl:
You say that infinitenexus insulted mods, but I can't read any proof anywhere. I've been told that he just advocated that there is a genetic difference between men and women (which I completely agree with, but that's off topic), so the different versions don't concur.

I have been warned 2 times, one warning is still pending. The first warning was something like "stop your racist propaganda", though I never broke any US law. If the mods want to ban or censor any user who doesn't share their own political views, then please let it be clear for everyone.

This is not a personal case: whenever freedom of speech is questioned anywhere, I feel attacked. I'm always willing to debate, but only with people who respect me and my rights. Until now, I used to say that American boards were more tolerant and free than French ones. Apparently this is not true anymore.

I feel angry about some guy investing a lot of energy in a virtual project and getting eventually thrown in the dustbin and forgotten in a few days, like some use just once and destroy consumer good. Even if the guy got out of his nerves (we all happen to freak out one day or another) once, that's not a good reason. This is not my vision of how human relationships should enrich each other.

I may add that in a company, firing an employee can result in a strike, if the employee's co-workers show some solidarity.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am 

Yeah well, this isn't a company. I too think it was a big overreaction but it's not like you can go on strike(lol) and make people listen to you. Since this board isn't run by me, I won't claim to know how to run it better than it is. Even if I do feel that way, if I were to pipe up and say that, the response would be: Then go start your own board. And that would be my answer to me if the situation were reversed.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 pm 

I'm sick of addressing the point but I feel like addressing it as a member of the community in the musicians forum. The American constitution reads:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

The government can't restrict your speech. This is a privately owned and operated forum.

somefella wrote:
Even if I do feel that way, if I were to pipe up and say that, the response would be: Then go start your own board.

Exactly. Nobody is stopping him from using his own resources to say whatever he wants. There are boundaries to discussion here and being rude in disagreements is outside of them. If you're warned for something, just stop doing it here. Some things aren't productive discussions on a relatively open forum, it's just an ego slapfight.

As I said before, if you have any questions about the forum/warnings/etc feel free to ask me. If you don't want to be banned, then don't act like it. Don't pick stupid arguments, if you're warned then take it as a warning, not a slap to your ego, and don't be like infinitenexus and come back to bitch about your warning. It's not rocket science, but you have any questions about that you're welcome to email me as I have experience as an instructor in that field.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 pm 

The 'FREE SPEECH!' thing always makes me chuckle. This board isn't a democracy. I prefer to think of it as a form of benevolent dictatorship.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm 

Pretty much every message board on the entire internet is like that. If people can't learn to operate within the restrictions of a site's rules, then they won't last long.

Zodijackyl wrote:
I'm sick of addressing the point but I feel like addressing it as a member of the community in the musicians forum. The American constitution reads:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

The government can't restrict your speech. This is a privately owned and operated forum.

WRONG, SIR! WRONG! This site is owned and operated by Canadians, therefore the U.S. Constitution has no bearing here! The proper piece of law is Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Quote:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
The 'FREE SPEECH!' thing always makes me chuckle. This board isn't a democracy. I prefer to think of it as a form of benevolent dictatorship.

Funny you should use that term, it's how I would describe the government in Singapore too and my politics professor tends to agree. Some Westerners might find it weird but to me good governance is more important than the form of governance. Meaning a good dictatorship beats a shitty democracy. Just like in management or even in bands, sometimes not everybody's opinion deserves equal weightage.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:49 am 

All I have to add for now is: if these are the conditions for posting on this board, don't expect me to keep involving in debates or to invest my energy in animating this board.

I will keep on posting from time to time, but don't count on me to play like a team. If you want individualism, then I'll be individualistic.

Your social darwinism is just destroying our civilisation, instead of "making it stronger". Think about it...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:44 pm 

I remember the old rules from V1 saying point blank at the start "Don't be a fucktard". That's the whole of it, really. Don't be a fucktard and all will go well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm 

I'm just saying there are much bigger fuckheads.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:10 pm 

That sucks that Nexus was banned. I mean, if you are going to ban an "asshole" (quotes because I don't think he is)...why ban the one that actually does some good!?

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 am 

I got an answer from Infinitenexus. To sum things up, he disagreed with the admin concerning a political topic, then he lost his nerve and insulted a mod who apparently provoked him first. I think anyone with pride would react the same.

If Infinitenexus was unbanned, I don't know if he would come back, but many users here miss his contributions to the board.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm 

lol

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:46 pm 

KFD we know and most of us here talk to him via facebook/phone.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 pm 

rexxz wrote:
lol

Looks like the master is back, so refer to his guides that have been at the top of the forum since 2008.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2