Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:42 pm 

Well yesterday I went and wrote and recorded 2 new Vomitwolves song for an ep.

a bit of yesterday and currently mixing Corpse Arise material for I think is going to be an ep cause it's relatively short though it's 17 tracks. also mixed on a doom song that's going to be a single ep release

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:23 pm 

Haven't gotten much demo recording done lately but Spirit Division does have its first legit show since August coming up this Saturday (with belly dancers no less!) and we're getting our lead guitarist up to speed on the material since he has gotten a new truck. Fortunately he's learned the stuff pretty fast when he and I practiced yesterday and we should be going back to a regular weekly practice schedule in the near future.

I've also got a few other projects that I'm in talks with as Ebonmere's keyboardist has asked me to help him reform the band and an acquaintance in the scene asked if I'd be interested in playing bass and backup vocals for a hard rock group he's putting together. We shall see what happens.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6rvqYVusU

Just going over a playthrough. Sound is weird but I was hearing it a lot differently from where I was sitting. Lemme know what you guys think of me playing and see if you can spot the little mistake, :D!

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am 

I have such a hard time committing to ideas and in the end I create nothing real. A few day ago I decided I just needed to make something. So, I recorded some drums and improvised over them essentially. This is the result...
Spoiler: show
https://soundcloud.com/alasunder/anakariim

Be careful of feedback at the beginning. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 am 

Have been working on some electronic death metal and dark ambient stuff recently. Nothing very complete yet...

I'm also trying to get into seriously playing the guitar again. I've never been decent at it only because I've lacked the money to get lessons or the time to play frequently enough to not suck. I'm graduating from high school in a few months and I'm beginning to think that I'd like to take a year or a half-year off before starting university to focus on that... among other things.

SoulsInferno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am 

I'm kind of mad, my drummer has been so stoked about playing with me, we have 2 songs completely ready to play live, and are about to start working on a few more I have written. All the sudden he jumps ship on me, telling me he doesn't have the drive to try to start a band anymore.

http://fidesinferno.bandcamp.com/

https://vacuusdoom.bandcamp.com/

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 am 

@SoulsInferno that sucks to have someone bail out at the last moment like that. Do this mean we are going to have more Fides Inferno, bro? That stuff is still one of my favorites.

@Puggy, for me high school was the high point of my life in terms of free time to play an instrument. Doesn't mean that things would be the same for you but that comes across as kind of an odd statement. Also you are the first person from the US I have seen call it "starting university" hahaha that's a very foreign was of stating it.

I've been practicing keyboard more than anything else lately and so far it has been a lot of fun getting away from stringed instruments. I like switching things up like that while still playing music at heart, makes things much more interesting especially with how the keyboard can focus on chords and melody so much.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 am 

Finally I'm tracking the new Forestfather songs. I expect to finish this weekend, although it'll be hard since there are a lot of different sections and layers of guitars going on.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

Studio is going to be booked for August.

Last edited by Porman on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 pm 

About time Kve...

had band practice. recorded a Dragunov song and did a sound test of the Sunn combo amp I picked up last month

http://youtu.be/8mY1K42tyhc

somefella, the only mistake i saw was the lack of you siting spread eagle with an up angle shot.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 am 

Seriously, enough of that. :ugh:

Time to drill this new drummer into shape. I hope he practices on his own time as well(a no brainer, but you'd be surprised how many numbskulls around here don't do that).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:47 pm 

Honestly no I wouldn't be surprised I knew many of those numbskulls.

and I'll never stop.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:30 pm 

Got a mix of this month's Blacksoul song in. We put a choir on this song, and even in its roughly mixed state it sounds really good. Same goes for the harsh vocals I put on it. My concern with it now is getting the vocals at a good level. As they are they kind of sit on top of the music instead of being a part of the music.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 pm 

Well did a soundtest with my new Orange CR120 that came in:

http://youtu.be/BzzUJo0PJis

then I wrote a song for a new project. basically going for Wolfpack, Driller Killer.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 am 

Nice, Wolfpack is great. And I see that arrived pretty quick, I only remember you talking about it a few days ago. The head I mean.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 am 

Tracked guitars for 3 songs, I hope to do 1 more today. I also have 3 acoustic pieces to record, then I think I'll add 2 more songs and the album will be done (at least in pre-prod stage).

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Well did a soundtest with my new Orange CR120 that came in

Yep, they still sound good. I wouldn't mind having one of these actually, I wonder if they make combo versions of this amp...

Sold my 5150 III last weekend, and then I found a KILLER deal on a '82 JCM 800 100w head that had the preamp boost mod done to it. I'm so fucking stoked, can't wait for it to arrive so I can further decimate my hearing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

Yea it came in amazingly fast. i ordered it friday. Got it in tuesday.

Drag- yes they do make a combo version of it. i can't remember what it's called I think it's CR50 or something.

good deal Kve, looking forward to hearing those songs. and you never gave me an answer on my other shit.

Very nice on the trade up Drag as well. I would've done the same

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Drag- yes they do make a combo version of it. i can't remember what it's called I think it's CR50 or something.

Excellent! Looks like they have both 1x12 and 2x12 versions. For practicing at home, I use an old Peavey Special 112. It's a 160w amp, which is cool, but it starts to overheat if played at almost-too-loud-for-the-bedroom volumes...which sucks because it's one of the few solid state amps I've played that acts like a tube amp when pushed. That, and the high input jack is broken. It works for now, but I'm gonna keep my eyes on these Crush combos if the thing shits the bed.

SLK wrote:
Very nice on the trade up Drag as well. I would've done the same

Definitely man, I thought the listing was incorrect and had to call the particular GC to make sure they had the tag right, haha. Looks like they did, and I'm very lucky I caught that thing almost as soon as it was listed because I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted another hour before being sold. What's cool about the amp switch is that my buddy that I sold my 5150 to is very, very pleased with the amp, so I'm glad I made somebody's rig as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:42 pm 

Yea that's very nice that everything is going to be fully utilized.

I'm actually taking a break from actively looking for more gear now. My next planned purchases are 3 more 412 cabs.... then sometime after that I'll actively look to get a first or second gen Sunn Model T. and then after that probably long after that I'll get a Hovercraft amp made for me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:38 pm 

http://youtu.be/m6DB7MsGXlk

Did a soundtest of one of my Sunn Concert Leads and some stupid asshole got in the way.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 am 

I see those things pop up from time to time for around $200, but they always look so fucked up that I'm scared to make a jump on one. Love how they sound though!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm 

If you see them for 200 snag them. They are going up in price on at least ebay now. One's ending at 510.

cause 200 is more than a steal. that's like murdering a family then stealing.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51 pm 

Oh yeah, the ones that look like they would work fine seem to be going for around $450-600 bucks. The $200 ones are the ones that the seller claims to be working fine, but cosmetically they look like they were just recovered from the inside of a woodchipper. They probably do work fine, I'm just paranoid about buying gear like that, haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:07 pm 

bah all that matters is the guts. I like shit that's beat up anyway.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 pm 

Jammed with the new drummer again today, his skills need work but it's progressing, I think this guy will be for keeps. Fucking finally too.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm 

Watch him get frustrated after another 3 jams and he just walks the fuck out.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm 

I think it's pretty impressive how much gear you have. I've been using the same guitar for 9 years, same amp for 12 years, same drums for 12 years haha.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 pm 

Oh I also used a JCM 900 during rehearsals yesterday, shit sounded good. I love the warm crunch of Marshallsbut it can be tricky to EQ it such that your palm-muted 16th notes have the desired percussive effect instead of the honky-midrange thing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 am 

Thanks, it's like when I paint... I want a whole selection of 'colors' to choose from when I go in to create something now. For the longest time I mainly just used my Ampeg SS150 + Krank Krankenstein for recording everything and varying up the guitars. I did that enough and now I like to further spread that plus it's all stuff I was interested in getting and I like having so I can turn a wall on and drive everyone away out of the storage unit.

yea those JCM's take awhile to get eqed properly not like the 800's

had Dragunov practice today. we went through most of what we are going to be playing tmwr. It's the drummer's birthday show. also wrote another d-beat song we might have a bassist who wants in on that. we are looking for someone else local to step up in some position be it drums or guitar. I don't care. it's some fun energetic stuff I'd like to take live.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 am 

Went to guitar center last night to test out a bunch of stuff. Wow do those guys ever hate making money. Go over to the guitar area and I'm trying out a Jackson, dude starts vacuuming up. Keep in mind this was about 75 minutes before they close, but I honestly get that it was Friday night and everyone wants to get out of there. Head on over to the drum section, someone else starts vacuuming. In hindsight I should have kept on playing stuff because I like black metal anyways and the vacuum cleaner makes a nice distorted tremolo wall of sound.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 pm 

^that's funny. You should've asked both the dudes to come into the drum section and vacuum together so you can practice blast beats since you are used to the guitars sounding similar to that anyway.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:59 pm 

Tonight should prove to be interesting. We're playing at a gallery- art installations and auctions, DJs, and tons of art hipsters. The show sold out though, so it should be a good one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm 

We are playing at some aidsass little music venue locally. It's my drummer's birthday show. So it'll be interesting. esp since I'll be picking this up at the show and using it:

yea if you can't tell it's my 5 way signal splitter with individual signal boost on each track and a built in fuzz overdrive.

Oh at the shed wrote and recorded a KP song and wrote and recorded a Mountain of Beard song.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:53 pm 

Which of your umpteen bands are you doing shows with?

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 am 

Cool picture SLK, I love seeing stuff like that.

I ended up going out of state to a Guitar Center where not everyone is vacuuming and manned up by having them call me when they get in what I'm looking for. Being effectively ampless for so long now is killing me. I was also talking with their drum guy about starting out and he suggested a pdp 5 piece kit with everything included they have for $699.00 rather than building a kit out of used gear and costing around $100-$200 less. I am pretty sure I could beat that price-wise even through cursory checking online for the same kit, but the quality seemed pretty nice - not that I really know what to look for specifically. Anyone have input on that? I appreciated how the guy was honest and not trying to upsell me, but rather presenting another option. After messing around with pedals I really liked Iron Cobra, not sure how much of a feel I can get for something with quarter notes at 120bpm though hahah.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm 

It was Dragunov. My PV/grind band I do with my friend. This was my rig for the show:

And here is the show with a shitty camera angle.
http://youtu.be/JcKcNFUpBz4

Thanks Apteronotus! it's so fucking beast and the built in overdrive he put on it is so fucking monsterous. I'll be uploading a ton of videos with using it with different amp combinations and showing of the fuzz.

I can't recommend Iron Cobra enough. I love their pedals. I used to have have Axis shortboards for awhile and the Yamaha Flying Dragons and with both I ended up going back to Iron Cobra's double chain drive single pedals. my first double pedal when I started was an iron cobra. lately when recording I've been using some 100 dollar double pedal but I'll be upgrading back up to an Iron Cobra set cause my original one fell apart.

Outside of that I've always said that any drumkit can sound great with a good drummer behind it. learn to tune your toms and even shit beat up stuff sounds great. I used to tool around with 2 tama rockstars that i just placed together. They were fucking just about destroyed looking. I don't waste time polishing or cleaning anything so people would naturally assume the kit will sound like ass and I wouldn't be good. And there were countless times multiple people including other drummers of the bands that would come up and tell me how great I was and how great my kit sounded esp for it looking for what it does. I always answered with... 'I spend my time learning how to play drums and tune my kit not cleaning it to make it look pretty... that shit is pointless'

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:18 pm 

Threw up a song from the upcoming Corse Arise Ep

http://youtu.be/ETXunngrHXk

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 pm 

SLK, that the Squeaky Lizard? An old band I was in played there on a short tour we did. It was an...interesting night. That place is kinda weird.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm 

Yea that's the place. and yea that is. it's the first time I've ever been there. Some short round girl came up to my wife and pointed at one of the silhouettes on the wall and said that's her friend and he is up in the sky but he's still here though. and my wife went 'yea... great'

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 185  Next