Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Der Einsame
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 am 

I've just finished the tedious work of mixing this occultic Black Metal song I wrote and recorded. I would appreciate any comments and criticism about the writing as well as the production. It might also be a good occasion to say that I'm looking for male vocalist with a strong epic clean singing, who can record himself, for similar types of songs.

https://soundcloud.com/verdigriss/pulsa-denura

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 pm 

To thicken guitars try recording them twice and panning one more to the left and one more to the right. Your lead guitar feels single tracked, and a little bit too left for me right now but I'm not 100% on that. This reminds me a little of the fruity but not quite industrial era of Dimmu Borgir, the song is really sugary and uplifting in a not terribly dynamic kind of way. That intro synth would almost be enough to make me stop listening if I was just randomly perusing black metal, it sounds cheap and isn't terribly interesting. Your outro is better in that respect, much richer sonically. The production overall felt fairly competent.

Also, to find a singer you are better off making a post in the sub-forum for finding musicians.

Der Einsame
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 am 

Thanks Apteronotus! I'm a big fan of Dimmu Borgir's 3 early albums so it's nice to hear.
I did double track the guitars (both rhythm and lead) but only panned to about 90% to make them "closer" to the drums, I don't know why it sounds single tracked, maybe because I used similar ampsim tones?
I tried using better samples for the intro, but in the end I actually preferred the "cheap" cheesy synth sound for whatever reason...

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 am 

I like it overall. The lead guitars are catchy and the main theme is easy to remember. I like the vocals and I think they fit the style and the production. The only part that doesn't fits me is in the description. To me this music sounds fairy, fantasy and stuff like that but occult - not at all. +1 about the intro part I would work on it a bit more.
Still nice job man!
W8ing to listen to more of your music!
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm 

Occult black metal? This sounds like atmospheric black metal mixed with melodic death metal. An odd contrast of intent and result.

The most dominant part of the song is the sugary melodies, and they stand out a lot. The rhythms under them don't really fit, it seems like a palm-muted melodeath rhythm would be more appropriate, something almost like power metal in composition. The rhythms feel lifeless, like a really bland mix of tones with no punch and no grit. The leads feel a bit weepy, like either a thinned out Finnish melodeath lead tone, or something that could fit in with older melodeath if the rhythms had more bite to it. The tones right now just sort of add up to the type of atmosphere that adds up from a few guitar tracks, but has little impact nor effect on the mood.

Der Einsame
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:13 am 

Well, the "occult" part is mainly because the song deals with the occult, and also to me the melodies give that vibe.
I don't think this song has melodeath influences, though I do like old melodeath. And yeah, I agree the rhythm tracks kinda got mushed with all the other instruments, I'm still trying to figure out how to make them stand out more.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm 

Der Einsame wrote:
I agree the rhythm tracks kinda got mushed with all the other instruments, I'm still trying to figure out how to make them stand out more.

Less gain, more speaker response. Either work with a cabinet+mic simulator or actually record through one, either way. Shape the different guitar parts' EQs around each other, aim for low-to-mid range punch with the rhythm guitar and less in the higher ranges. Scoop it out a bit where you're getting the punch of the snare drum.

Reply to topic