Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:40 am 

After further thought, you could also try the pre-Fernhill project Whirling Pope Joan, which was a collaboration between Fernhill singer Julie Murphy and Blowzabella hurdy-gurdy player Nigel Eaton.
http://nigeleaton.bandcamp.com/album/wh ... -joan-spin

In fact, check out Blowzabella as well if you don't know them already, especially the albums "A Richer Dust" and "Vanilla". They range from droney folk songs (can't find links) to medieval-based stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXZKKtQx1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l51EWqBuQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7QNnkgJ7M

If you like what I've mentioned so far, check out this great song by UK musician Phil Martin (aka Drohne):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Coi5_XiI4M

Sorry for deviating from the thread somewhat, though I think this stuff would interest many neofolk fans.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm 

What about very heavily industrial martial stuff?
Like Arditi, or Karjalan Sissit (I only know these 2)
Any recs?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:25 pm 

I just got Sol Invictus' Death of the West and am really enjoying it, could anyone recommend what other albums in their discography are worthwhile? Or anything similar from other bands that I might enjoy?

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Any recs?

Across the Rubicon and Triarii are a couple that come to mind.

analog_winter wrote:
I just got Sol Invictus' Death of the West and am really enjoying it, could anyone recommend what other albums in their discography are worthwhile? Or anything similar from other bands that I might enjoy?

Definitely check out Trees in Winter next. The Blade and The Hill of Crosses are also very good. As far as similar bands go, aside from the more obvious (Symbols/Rose Clouds era Death in June, Current 93, Fire + Ice, etc.), there's also stuff like Nature & Organisation, Darkwood, and Sonne Hagal (if you're okay with German vox).
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:19 am 

analog_winter wrote:

Lex Talionis and In the Rain are also not to be overlooked.

Karlabos wrote:
Any recs?

Dernière Volonté - Le Feu Sacré

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:49 pm 

Good news folks, a new Arditi album is on the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo79G5VRz6g

They say it will be released this year, but it's almost December so I don't believe that.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:49 pm 

I generally prefer martial industrial to have a great deal of composition involved........ Von Thronstahl, early Laibach, Test Dept., Puissance, Days of the Trumpet Call, etc.

Stuff that sounds like someone loaded a whole bunch of classical music/historical speech samples into Audacity and pressed "play" isn't my cup of tea.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

Triarii are another awesome one.

Check out TriORE, his collaboration with Tomas of Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio.

Speaking of whom, ORE are probably my favorite martial/neofolk band of all time.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:16 am 

In case you don't know, there's a new TriORE album in the making!

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey guys. I think what I'm after is dark folk rather than straight up neofolk. I'm after folk stuff but I don't really want any of the modern industrial/martial/post-punkish leanings I've heard in a lot of neofolk. I'm totally fine with instrumental stuff and might even prefer it; if it has vocals I'd rather them either be female vocals or like layered, chanting type folk vocals rather than more modern sounding vocals. Examples of what I'm looking for is stuff like Kveldssanger, The Moon & The Nightspirit or Vali, but could even be darker stuff like Wardruna. In fact, somewhere between those two styles would really be ideal, as the former could use some slower, more percussion-heavy elements and the latter often doesn't have enough stringed instruments and melody for me.

Let me know if this isn't enough to go on and I can maybe link some stuff that might help.

I know exactly what you're after. The closest I can think of (that hasn't already been mentioned) is Árstíðir.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:29 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey guys. I think what I'm after is dark folk rather than straight up neofolk. I'm after folk stuff but I don't really want any of the modern industrial/martial/post-punkish leanings I've heard in a lot of neofolk. I'm totally fine with instrumental stuff and might even prefer it; if it has vocals I'd rather them either be female vocals or like layered, chanting type folk vocals rather than more modern sounding vocals. Examples of what I'm looking for is stuff like Kveldssanger, The Moon & The Nightspirit or Vali, but could even be darker stuff like Wardruna. In fact, somewhere between those two styles would really be ideal, as the former could use some slower, more percussion-heavy elements and the latter often doesn't have enough stringed instruments and melody for me.

Let me know if this isn't enough to go on and I can maybe link some stuff that might help.

This might not be exactly like you described, but it definitely fits some of the criteria you're looking for: http://sangredemuerdago.bandcamp.com/al ... -no-bosque

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 pm 

So frustrating! Árstíðir are really great instrumentally and the vocal approach is much closer to what I'm looking for than more "typical" neofolk vocals, but I dunno how sold I am on the guy's voice. It was much better in the second song you posted but the first didn't do much for me.

On to Sangre de Muerdago: ok, this was EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear with this request! Dismal, dreary folk driven by melodic instruments but with simple/powerful percussion and brilliantly ancient-sounding vocals. Man, this song is wonderful. Thanks dude!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm 

This is probably an obvious rec (dark folk isn't something I'm super versed in), and I think he's been mentioned in this thread already somewhere, but B'eirth's projects seem to fit what you're after. In Gowan Ring are pretty well straight up dark folk with vocals that are atypical to the neofolk genre, melancholic instrumentation and a very arboreal atmosphere.

Backworld are another band playing a similar style but are in closer relation to traditional neofolk than IGR. Isles of the Blest and Anthems From the Pleasure Park probably match your criteria best.

Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:11 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
On to Sangre de Muerdago: ok, this was EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear with this request! Dismal, dreary folk driven by melodic instruments but with simple/powerful percussion and brilliantly ancient-sounding vocals. Man, this song is wonderful. Thanks dude!

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! You might also like Novemthree's most recent album too: http://novemthree.bandcamp.com/album/renewing

And I'm pretty sure they're doing a split with Sangre de Muerdago soon too!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 am 

Awesome, Novemthree sound really great, too. IX Leviathan, I liked that first In Gowan Ring song a lot but the second one wasn't quite as good. I'm pretty sure I listened to this band a couple months ago when I was looking for this sort of stuff actively but must've heard stuff that didn't catch my ear as much. I can't say I was really blown away by Backworld though. Thanks guys!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 pm 

Hey guys (and maybe this will interest you iamntbatman), popping in to recommend Aerial Ruin and also to ask for recommendations based on this sound. Stripped down, acoustic, dark, folky, sit alone by your fire type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesXl_QAyh0

People have made comparisons to Death in June or Current 93 but I have NOT heard any similarities in the material I've heard from these bands.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:14 pm 

Looks like it's gonna take some time for the new Arditi to come out. Just emailed Equilibrium Music a couple of days ago and no title and release date are known yet.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Hey guys (and maybe this will interest you iamntbatman), popping in to recommend Aerial Ruin and also to ask for recommendations based on this sound. Stripped down, acoustic, dark, folky, sit alone by your fire type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesXl_QAyh0

People have made comparisons to Death in June or Current 93 but I have NOT heard any similarities in the material I've heard from these bands.

Higher up on this page I recommended Sangre de Muerdago & Novemthree to someone with a similar request, they might be what you're looking for.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am 

What's your opinion on Wardruna's latest, Is it worth it?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm 

Folks, I need help regarding Der Blutharsch. What albums should I start with? BTW, I don't care for the psychedelic rock they make these days.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm 

Unity wrote:
Folks, I need help regarding Der Blutharsch. What albums should I start with? BTW, I don't care for the psychedelic rock they make these days.

I don't really care much for Albin's music after TMLHBAC, but The Pleasures Received in Pain is pretty good, especially the first few tracks. After that, pretty much any of his early releases will do. I think the shitty psychedelic rock stuff starts after Time is Thee Enemy.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm 

Loving the download I got of the album by Weh called Folkloren. Can someone help me with something similar? Slow, dark but with a subtle catchiness to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kULxFBhLIWg
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 pm 

For some reason the Backworld singer almost reminds me a little of Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs). Not a bad association, in my book, just kinda funny.

I will concur that later Der Blutharsch is rather boring, from what I've heard of it. I do have 'The Pleasures Received...' (which I've never heard) queud up on Spotify right now, so we'll see...

Murder of Crows
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 am 

Does any of this actually qualify as metal or what?

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:40 pm 

no, hence the title
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 am 

I'm looking for Martial Industrial music like this track, which is Marduk in collaboration with Arditi (more Arditi than Marduk, though). I have tried some of Arditi's other work, but it doesn't quite match up to this.

http://marduk.bandcamp.com/track/deathmarch

Basically what I'm after is dark, ominous, instrumental post-industrial built around marching band loops. Although there are none in the example, WWII speech samples are fully encouraged, if not mandatory.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm 

balbulus wrote:
I'm looking for Martial Industrial music like this track, which is Marduk in collaboration with Arditi (more Arditi than Marduk, though). I have tried some of Arditi's other work, but it doesn't quite match up to this.

http://marduk.bandcamp.com/track/deathmarch

Basically what I'm after is dark, ominous, instrumental post-industrial built around marching band loops. Although there are none in the example, WWII speech samples are fully encouraged, if not mandatory.

Striider and Toroidh.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:53 pm 

Unity wrote:
Striider and Toroidh.

Thanks, Striider is definitely what I'm after. I'll investigate Toroidh tomorrow when I have more time. Elsewhere, I've also been recommended the early Der Blutharsch stuff too, sounding promising so far.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 pm 

Are there any bands like Ordo Funebris, Trobar De Morte or Narsilion?

Let me try to specify what I like about them: I think the first thing is the xylophone. And all those instruments and nature noises that make it sound "magical" in some way.
I already tried to look for similar bands like in lastfm before, but it seems I get recommended any neofolk with female vocals. But I want that magical feeling overall and not just ambient/neofolk with female vocals.
But of course I'd be glad if it had female vocals, anyway. Except that not soprano vocals a la nightwish, I can't stand those anymore =P So, contralto please.

Anything on that line?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm 

This isn't exactly neofolk, but I figure this would be a good place to ask anyways, could anyone recommend me any dark folk/country/americana like the solo work of Scott Kelly?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 pm 

hmm, I don't know Scott Kelly but when reading Americana I just thought of the band Murder By Death.
Is this the kind of music you're looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPK5PfunNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9k2hteRp1o

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:22 am 

Murder by Death are very cool, but that wasn't really what I was looking for with this request, Scott Kelly's work is much more sparse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhmJFI19GwI

Thanks for the rec though, I will definitely be listening to more of their stuff

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:54 am 

Is anyone here into Coil? I've been listening to The Ape of Naples a lot, but I have no clue what else to check out in their discography.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 pm 

So I've been listening to neofolk for a little while, and I've been enjoying a lot of what I've been hearing, but this is a question I have to admit I haven't quite been able to answer. Where exactly is the line between neofolk and 'plain folk'? I've heard it said that neofolk is more distinctly dark, that it draws more from more extreme sources of music like post-industrial or metal, but I don't see any of that reflected in, say, The Soil Bleeds Black, or The Moon and the Nightspirit, both of whom are tagged frequently as neofolk. So... any thoughts on just what divides neofolk from folk?

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:15 pm 

Rykov wrote:
So I've been listening to neofolk for a little while, and I've been enjoying a lot of what I've been hearing, but this is a question I have to admit I haven't quite been able to answer. Where exactly is the line between neofolk and 'plain folk'? I've heard it said that neofolk is more distinctly dark, that it draws more from more extreme sources of music like post-industrial or metal, but I don't see any of that reflected in, say, The Soil Bleeds Black, or The Moon and the Nightspirit, both of whom are tagged frequently as neofolk. So... any thoughts on just what divides neofolk from folk?

On page 3 of this thread, I have written two posts that try to explain my take on this divide, and I will attempt it again. Obviously this is only my take on the subject, others may well be different. As a fan of both forms of folk music, I can see the divide from both sides.

In my eyes, neofolk is distinct from "proper" folk in that it tends to attempt to create a more obvious romanticised atmosphere of dark, pagan, or medieval topics. It also tends to be created by people who come from a rock/metal/goth/whatever background, and who are trying to explore a "lighter" musical form. As such (and this is a very sweeping generalisation), they are generally not as well-versed in "true" folk culture, and in many it ways it is somewhat contrived (not necessarily a criticism, just a observation), and usually simpler. Melodies are often very bold, arrangements very basic.

"Proper" folk tends to be created by people who have been brought up in the folk tradition, and as such is their natural musical outlet for the whole range of emotions/topics/subjects that people write music about (from the dark side of life to the lighter everyday stuff). The musicianship/songcraft is usually more subtle and intricate, and less concerned with trying to sound obviously dark/pagan/gothic etc.

As I have said, this is purely my take on the subject, and I'm not sure I've managed to explain myself entirely. I also suspect others will find fault with my views. But this hopefully goes some way to help explain the difference.

EDIT:
Further confusion lies in the inclusion of the bands who helped create/define the genre (i.e. Death In June, Current 93 etc.) Personally, I don't regard these bands as pure neofolk, in much the same way that Black Sabbath aren't pure metal despite helping to create and define it. Di6, C93 etc do have some material that is neofolk, but other stuff draws on post-punk and post-industrial influences. Again, I suspect this view will draw criticism from others.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 am 

@Rikov If you listen to Current 93's Thunder Perfect Mind you might get an idea of the big difference, that shit is creepy.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:17 am 

Balbulus: Very thorough and satisfying answer. Thanks!

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 am 

Rykov wrote:
Balbulus: Very thorough and satisfying answer. Thanks!

Thank you. I would however be interested to see other people's interpretations, as I think many would differ from mine.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:29 pm 

Since this thread doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of action, I'll put forth a request: has anybody got suggestions on neofolk artists that sound similar to The Moon and the Nightspirit, or The Soil Bleeds Black? I realise these are pretty general, but I'll take pretty much any recommendation given on that basis.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:55 pm 

^ I'm really getting into this stuff, so I'm trying out all sorts of bands from this thread- but man, the stuff you're asking about seems to be straight up folk/soundtrack almost...UGH. I wish I had similar artists...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║