Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:57 pm 

I'm looking for slam death metal with more enunciated vocals. I don't really mind squeals and gurgles that much, but they get old.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 am 

Hebidoku wrote:
I'm looking for slam death metal with more enunciated vocals. I don't really mind squeals and gurgles that much, but they get old.

Short Bus Pile Up? Not exactly clear, but not gurgles and more like barbarian growling.

I'll try to think to see if I remember any more, but overall it's a really rare thing, yes.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm 

Any solid 90's style brutal death metal come out in the past five years or so? Stuff that would remind me of Human Waste, Ritual of Infinity, etc. Nothing super slammy, but I can handle slams if there is a decent amount of solid riffs in there as counterpoint. Not too picky with vocals.

MalikArcanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:44 am 

Any new (or new-ish) bands that play in the vein of the old school Florida scene? There's Swedeath bands everywhere you look, but in my (admittedly shallow) searches I've found no new groups playing this one except Skeletal Remains.

Looking for stuff mainly in the vein of old Monstrosity, Massacre, Obituary & Malevolent Creation. Hell, even throw early Cross the Styx-eta Sinister in there, even though they're Dutch.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm 

Not necessarily right in the vein of the bands you mentioned but here's a couple newer bands playing old school death metal outside of all the Incantation / 'cavernous' stuff that seems to be the trend lately.

Organ Donor - http://organdonor1.bandcamp.com/

Disfigurement - http://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/soul-rot-cd

Zombie Ritual - http://razorbackrecordings.bandcamp.com ... mbie-party

Rude - http://rudedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/track/haunted
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:36 am 

Does anybody have examples of a hybrid between death metal and noise rock/noisecore? I'm not talking Portal dissonance; Gorguts's Obscura might be kind of close but I don't like the death metal parts of that album (or the vocals, or the rhythm...). If there are parts with "riffs" that just sound like random guitar dickery in the manner you might hear in a Melt-Banana song, then great - if it goes beyond dickery and into literal raw, abrasive feedback, that'd be fucking splendid.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:27 am 

MalikArcanum wrote:
Any new (or new-ish) bands that play in the vein of the old school Florida scene? There's Swedeath bands everywhere you look, but in my (admittedly shallow) searches I've found no new groups playing this one except Skeletal Remains.

Looking for stuff mainly in the vein of old Monstrosity, Massacre, Obituary & Malevolent Creation. Hell, even throw early Cross the Styx-eta Sinister in there, even though they're Dutch.

See if these do anything for you

Nocturnal Torment
Chaos Inception
Derogatory

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:36 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Does anybody have examples of a hybrid between death metal and noise rock/noisecore? I'm not talking Portal dissonance; Gorguts's Obscura might be kind of close but I don't like the death metal parts of that album (or the vocals, or the rhythm...). If there are parts with "riffs" that just sound like random guitar dickery in the manner you might hear in a Melt-Banana song, then great - if it goes beyond dickery and into literal raw, abrasive feedback, that'd be fucking splendid.

Have you listened to Ulcerate?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M5SkcwHykU0

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9eebFfDjkE

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:23 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:

Intestinal Disgorge's latest album might well do the trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCk5Czmauqw

MalikArcanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
MalikArcanum wrote:

See if these do anything for you

Nocturnal Torment
Chaos Inception
Derogatory

That Derogatory is absolutely perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks. :headbang:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 pm 

Could probably put this in the black metal thread as well but anyone know any bands that are chaotic and mix black and death metal in the way that Adorior does? Infernal War comes fairly close to this sound, and I enjoy them a lot as well. I'm looking for a production that is not too raw like a lot of war metal tends to have. I find a lot of that assault black metal style like Enthroned to be fairly dull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwG4WhMulE

Hardboiled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:17 pm 

Can anybody recommend me some good melodic death metal bands in the vein of Edge Of Sanity, the first albums of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity? . Thanks for your help.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm 

MalikArcanum wrote:
That Derogatory is absolutely perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks. :headbang:

You're welcome :thumbsup:. Glad you liked one

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 am 

Hardboiled wrote:
Can anybody recommend me some good melodic death metal bands in the vein of Edge Of Sanity, the first albums of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity? . Thanks for your help.

Edge Of Sanity doesn't have a lot in common with early In Flames or Dark Tranquillity, though, does it? Well, check out Sacrilege GBG, Eucharist, Gates of Ishtar and Julie Laughs Nomore (yes, that's a band name, unfortunately).

If you want something like Edge of Sanity, you'll probably have to be more specific, as their discography is very diverse.

Deckard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 am 

MalikArcanum wrote:

Impurity (USA) remind me of Monstrosity somewhat:

Edit: Hm these are not quite as "new" as I thought. Still listed as "active", but not released anything since a promo 2009.. the album I am referring to (Of Lust & War) is from 2007 even.

Hardboiled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Hardboiled wrote:

Edge Of Sanity doesn't have a lot in common with early In Flames or Dark Tranquillity, though, does it? Well, check out Sacrilege GBG, Eucharist, Gates of Ishtar and Julie Laughs Nomore (yes, that's a band name, unfortunately).

If you want something like Edge of Sanity, you'll probably have to be more specific, as their discography is very diverse.

I only listened the "The Spectral Sorrows" album of Edge Of Sanity and the catchy riffs and style remind me a little to the Gothenburg scene bands like In Flames or DT, but withouth the Black Metal influences. Man Sacrilege is fucking awesome it was exactly the kind of music that i was searching. Thank you!!!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 pm 

Nebster173 wrote:
What are bands that heavily abuse wah pedals?

Kirk Hammett clearly has the market cornered (enough for all genres, too), lol.

Severe Torture uses it during solos effectively, at times, particularly on "Sworn Vengeance".

Katalepsy uses it effectively on a couple tracks from "Autopsychosis" (the best album of 2013 hands down, IMO). Both 'Lurking in the Depth' and 'Unearthly Urge to Supremacy' have cool solos w/ wah-pedal action.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. I can't think of much more than that, personally.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:14 pm 

Randomly came across Obliteration, reviews seemed promising, grew curious.

Who are similar (and better) among their contemporaries? (ed: beyond the Similar Artists list, that is.) Thanks.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 pm 

Special sort of request. I want album recs from 2007ish to present that are genre classics. Criteria: no gimmicks. Some examples of gimmicks: really blasty, described as influenced by Suffocation, loaded with non-metal elements like sythns and other instruments, noises, is not a 'clone' of any band, old school or otherwise. Furthermore, I want albums that uphold the traditions of Death Metal's peak years from about 1988 to 1993, and again - no copies! Some albums I've really enjoyed were the last two from Asyphx and Austopy, as Disma Towards the Megalith.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 pm 

LVB wrote:
Special sort of request. I want album recs from 2007ish to present that are genre classics. Criteria: no gimmicks. Some examples of gimmicks: really blasty, described as influenced by Suffocation, loaded with non-metal elements like sythns and other instruments, noises, is not a 'clone' of any band, old school or otherwise. Furthermore, I want albums that uphold the traditions of Death Metal's peak years from about 1988 to 1993, and again - no copies! Some albums I've really enjoyed were the last two from Asyphx and Austopy, as Disma Towards the Megalith.

I'm confused. You want albums that sound old school but that don't sound like any old school band?! Kind of a contradiction there isn't it?!

Anyway, I'll throw my two cents with Repugnant and Tribulation. You can't go more "modern old school classic" than that when it comes to Sweddeath. Since you seem to be taking a liking at doomier death metal, and since Disma says its prayers at the altar of Convulse, I'm going to recommend Ataraxy's debut album. Spanish band doing Finndeath and it's an absolute modern classic to me. Might as well listen to Sonne Adam's Transformation for some other creepy dungeon-like Incantation/Immolation influenced doomy death metal. Suffice to say that I thought it was the best death metal album in 2011 (and Ataraxy's was the best of 2012 coincidently).

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm 

androdion wrote:
LVB wrote:

I'm confused. You want albums that sound old school but that don't sound like any old school band?! Kind of a contradiction there isn't it?!

No. Let's see here. Is every thrash band from the mid 80's a "copy" of Slayer and Metallica? Is every 90's Death Metal band a "copy" of Morbid Angel and Entombed? You can use the same tools and achieve different results and personal vision. What I want to avoid are 'tribute' bands who just want to sound like some old school band that they worship. What I don't want is novelty like let's add "prog" elements because it makes us seem more highbrow.

Hardboiled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm 

LVB wrote:

Try Bloodbath or Blood Red Throne

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 am 

LVB wrote:

Classics? Hmmm

While perhaps these may not be considered classics they are amongst my favourites of recent years.

Claws - Absorbed in the Nethervoid (2009)
One of the stronger Finnish osdm bands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqljLxwf9Q

Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds (2009)
I love this album. Very fast and raw and thrashy. Big Pestilence influence. If you like Repugnant and Tribulation's debut which Androdion mentioned then you will probably like this as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5g2K5Qo9M

Teitanblood - Seven Chalices (2009)
This is fast, chaotic, raw, and just awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITZ75t5bemE

Graveyard - One with the Dead (2009)
Probably my favourite album in the Swedish vein of recent years. 4 reviews averaging 96%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSDg3ucoKwQ

Morbid Flesh - Reborn in Death (2011)
Little different from the others. Early Death influenced (Scream Bloody Gore), and quite grotesque sounding. Excellent album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1y5JaqRYAw

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

LVB wrote:
No. Let's see here. Is every thrash band from the mid 80's a "copy" of Slayer and Metallica? Is every 90's Death Metal band a "copy" of Morbid Angel and Entombed? You can use the same tools and achieve different results and personal vision. What I want to avoid are 'tribute' bands who just want to sound like some old school band that they worship. What I don't want is novelty like let's add "prog" elements because it makes us seem more highbrow.

You could've just said you wanted stuff influenced by the classics of old instead of pure clones then. That would've sufficed. ;)

Anyway, you got a lot of recs to bite, be sure to leave some feedback on them.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 pm 

P

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardboiled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:13 pm 

Bloodbath mediocre? sure supermetal kid you are right.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:52 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds (2009)
I love this album. Very fast and raw and thrashy. Big Pestilence influence. If you like Repugnant and Tribulation's debut which Androdion mentioned then you will probably like this as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5g2K5Qo9M

This album is excellent, fits Grave_Wyrm's request as well. @Wyrm, maybe also check out Morbus Chron if you haven't already.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:20 pm 

Sweet! Thanks, Inspector.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:24 pm 

LVB: You didn't mention Graves of the Archanges. Haven't you heard it, or didn't you like it?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 pm 

LVB: You didn't mention Graves of the Archanges. Haven't you heard it, or didn't you like it?

In their own rights, these are classic death metal albums from the last couple of years:
Drawn And Quartered - Feeding Hell's Furnace
Based on Incantation's dark style with more blackened elements, this band has crafter a style all of its own while staying very true to classic 90s death metal.

Ignivomous - Death Transmutation and Contragenesis
Dissonant and otherwordly death metal with surprising beauty amidst the chaos. Impressive musicianship, without overt flashiness.

Desolate Shrine - Tenebrous Towers and The Sanctum of Human Darkness
Extremely doomy and oppressive death metal. You though Disma was heavy?

Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Imprecation is a band unlike anything else. A very dark style of death metal with gothic elements and occult atmosphere. The band is an old school legend, and this is their new album after they reformed in 2009 after a decade long break.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:49 pm 

Ilwhyan, I would put Hail Infernal Darkness alongside Feeding Hell's Furnace for it's sheer weight and darkness.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Desolate Shrine - Tenebrous Towers and The Sanctum of Human Darkness
Extremely doomy and oppressive death metal. You though Disma was heavy?

Quoting this for the truth of it. Makes Disma seem like (very) easy listening. Utterly brilliant band.

AcidWorm wrote:
Could probably put this in the black metal thread as well but anyone know any bands that are chaotic and mix black and death metal in the way that Adorior does? Infernal War comes fairly close to this sound, and I enjoy them a lot as well. I'm looking for a production that is not too raw like a lot of war metal tends to have. I find a lot of that assault black metal style like Enthroned to be fairly dull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwG4WhMulE

Preeeety sure you're familiar with these guys, but Charon fucking rip.

Maybe Italy's Blasphemophagher could be worth a look (unless you know them already)?

Another band worth mentioning is the mighty Temple Below. Pretty damn heavy, chaotic stuff.

A little on the (black) thrashier side, but Chile's awesome Perversor are well worth a look...

Another Chilean band I'm going to mention is Slaughtbbath. Not too bad...

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Any solid 90's style brutal death metal come out in the past five years or so? Stuff that would remind me of Human Waste, Ritual of Infinity, etc. Nothing super slammy, but I can handle slams if there is a decent amount of solid riffs in there as counterpoint. Not too picky with vocals.

I'm looking for the exact same thing as this person, so bumping it before it gets forgotten.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:22 am 

Looking for 'higher pitched' death vocalists. Like Chuck Schuldiner from Death, or the band After Oblivion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zKlGCiizNA

Any other death metal bands have vocalists like this? Some thrashiness is a plus too.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am 

ClicheUsername wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

I'm looking for the exact same thing as this person, so bumping it before it gets forgotten.

Maybe Necroven? It kind of reminds me of that Morpheus Descends/Rottrevore school.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:23 pm 

Baroque1 wrote:
Looking for 'higher pitched' death vocalists. Like Chuck Schuldiner from Death, or the band After Oblivion:

Any other death metal bands have vocalists like this? Some thrashiness is a plus too.
with the vocals idk. but if you want some tech death thats really human era Death sounding you should check out syrebris. female vocals and imo, they can really pull off that sounds without sounding like Death ripoffs

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 am 

I would like to hear some doom-tinged quasi-melodic death metal in the vein of Deathevokation and Gorement.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 am 

Baroque1 wrote:

You know, I asked this same question before and no one was able to answer it. Though you might want to try death metal era Carcass as they use higher growls and not really death metal but vektor always seem to remind me of later death and After Oblivion, especially with the vocals. Kinda made me wonder if later death or After Oblivion was really thrash metal.

Vektor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVtbrgcKW4

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 am 

double post (my bad)

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Baroque1 wrote:

You know, I asked this same question before and no one was able to answer it. Though you might want to try death metal era Carcass as they use higher growls and not really death metal but vektor always seem to remind me of later death and After Oblivion, especially with the vocals. Kinda made me wonder if later death or After Oblivion was really thrash metal.

I love Vektor, have both albums and I've seen them live. Looking forward to their next album (hopefully this year). I've had a hard time finding bands like Vektor too haha. Thanks anyway though. I like some Carcass too, I'll listen to more of their stuff.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Baroque1 wrote:

Illogicist might be the ticket.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 290  Next