Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AstralBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 pm 

Greetings. I'm looking for atmospheric black metal in the vein of Wolves in the Throne Room, Skagos, Ash Borer and Panopticon, and I'd like lengthy songs, too.

Any ideas?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:52 pm 

Check out Alda's album Tahoma. You might also like the new Cosmic Church album, Ylistys. Their older stuff is great, too, but the newer material is a bit different and sounds a little closer to that sort of Cascadian sound.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 pm 

AstralBlood wrote:
Greetings. I'm looking for atmospheric black metal in the vein of Wolves in the Throne Room, Skagos, Ash Borer and Panopticon, and I'd like lengthy songs, too.

Any ideas?

Assume you know of Fell Voices, if not the split with Ash Borer is superb.

Vemod
http://vemod.bandcamp.com/

Horna's longer songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEAIJktiSw

Altar of Plagues. Everything up until, and including, their first LP. everything after is so so. Sol is an exceptional release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym1drEZqHWQ

Leech (US) (intro ends around 4mins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAh7k1a_eQ4

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 pm 

Can someone recommend me some black metal that is similar to Moonspell's first EP Under the Moonspell, which I guess is ever-so-slightly folk-tinged. Making things interesting, I'm not a huge fan of what they released right after, Wolfheart (perhaps to folky), and I don't like anything after that. Also, I like the different vocal styles used on the EP (Scream, Low yell/sob, falsetto (female?? not too much, anyway)).

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

charliepants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 am 

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but I'm looking for stuff similar to Summoning's Lost Tales EP. The only similar material I can think of is Burzum's ambient releases and early Mortiis.
Also, is there a more specific genre for this kind of music other than just "ambient"?

Thanks!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:31 am 

^ While I haven't heard the releases in question, I'm pretty sure that's what's referred to as "dungeon synth".

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:56 am 

AstralBlood wrote:

Any ideas?

I second Alda. AoP isn't Cascadian, but vaguely similar and White Tomb is a masterpiece so check it out anyway. In terms of this style, nothing's going to beat Skagos's debut album, but:

Try Fen's Malediction Fields. The stuff they've made after is a bit spotty, but this is some truly excellent nature oriented black metal that still has a noticeable pair of gonads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BpEMKGPSQ

Fell Voices are an important band in the Cascadian movement. They really do love their long songs. I absolutely recommend their first album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofHV9Ajc9Q

I would also recommend Winterfylleth and Fauna. Although not what you asked for, if you like those bands you might also like Panopticon (although you know Skagos, so there's a good chance you already know them). Don't check out Falloch or Woods of Ypres, prominent bands who play in the style but totally blow.

AstralBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 am 

Thanks a lot. That's a whole lot of stuff. Of course, I'm familiar with some of it, but Vemod's full-length turned out to be great, and I loved the new Cosmic Church, too. Great stuff, really.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm 

AstralBlood wrote:

Any ideas?

Check out this little baby, excellent release in a similar style -

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/En ... and/359800

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Megrimmtroll wrote:
Me too I would like to hear a full length by the band, as the ep is excellent!! I am really impressed with it. I discovered them here on MA, went to their record labels website. Read the description of Ros Rus and ordered a copy, wouldnt mind hearing the first record too and will check out your review once its approved!! :)

Also have you heard any Cursed upon Prayer also from Finland, been listening to some of their stuff too. Really impressive! :-D

Actually, i just listened to From the lands of Demise yesterday. I feel like if the whole album sounded like Eternally Sealed and the Red room I'd be in love with this release too. The first two tracks take some getting used to. You might wanna check out this blogspot called Finnish Black metal terrorism, that's where I've found a lot of really killer stuff lately.

Thank you I will give the blog a look. :-D I have ordered a copy From the Lands of Demise, As I only listened to a bit of the album. I shall be able to form a more clear opinion, when I get my copy. I did like what I heard though. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 pm 

AstralBlood wrote:
I loved the new Cosmic Church, too. Great stuff, really.

I definitely recommend that you listen to Cosmic Church's other releases as well. The only one I think is lacking is the third part of the Arcana Dei series, but even that one has its fans.

My favourites are Arcana Dei I-II, Unohdetun rituaalin planeetta and why not Absoluutin Lävistämä. Of course, the new album has some gorgeous material as well, like Ennen and Lupaus Äänettömälle Äänelle, and it really established its spot in CC's discography. The 2012 demo Syysauringon vihkimys is definitely worth noting as well.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

AstralBlood wrote:

Any ideas?

I know that lots of recs have already been given, but I just... Need to recommend some nice bands that weren't mentioned:
Dressed in Streams
Yellow Eyes
Weakling
Clair Cassis

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:12 pm 

I randomly stumbled across this band while soundcloud was playing similar artists, not bad at all and fits the long atmospheric black metal description:

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:57 pm 

Anyone know bands similar to Immortal's later material, especially At The Heart Of Winter?

Specifically, riff-oriented, thrash-influenced black metal with extended song lengths and technical playing. And more shrieked vocals than Abbath's would be a nice cherry on top.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 pm 

Immortal worship done well.

Not as trashy as you want but mandatory.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:
Anyone know bands similar to Immortal's later material, especially At The Heart Of Winter?

Specifically, riff-oriented, thrash-influenced black metal with extended song lengths and technical playing. And more shrieked vocals than Abbath's would be a nice cherry on top.

Inquisition is the obvious choice.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 am 

Very good recommendations, Metantoine, especially since there's definitely more to those bands than merely Immortal worship. :beer:

If you like Isvind, I'd like to add Djevel, particularly their new album from last year, Besatt av Maane og Natt. Like Isvind, there's no significant thrash influence, but the riffing is definitely modeled after the aesthetics of At The Heart of Winter.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:48 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:

This this this.

and for some early Immortal worship.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm 

Anyone knows bands sounding similar to the first part of this Nargaroth song?

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:18 pm 

My copy of Curse upon Prayer, From the Lands of Demise came today. It is an exceptionally good album, well crafted songs and sharp frosty riffs. With unearthly vocals! There are some dark ethereal quite interludes which add another dimension to the music, and then pounding heavy assaults. I really like this album!! I look forward to future releases from this band, I strongly recommend it!! :)

UmmeneskeligNavnlos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 pm 

The work which transforms God - Any similar album?

I really enjoyed the experimentation that this album features. So I'm looking for any other album in the same vein. Suggestions?
Thanks.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:35 pm 

UmmeneskeligNavnlos wrote:

I really enjoyed the experimentation that this album features. So I'm looking for any other album in the same vein. Suggestions?
Thanks.

It's not quuuuuite as discordant as Work, but countrymen Arkhon Infaustus have some similar stylings:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... ilis/45944
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... xyn/154945

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:26 pm 

You could try Nightbringer, though it's not as eerie as Blut Aus Nord. It's similar in that there are drawn out tremolo-picked chords and a sense of dramaticism, though Nightbringer is more grandiose and less outright sinister.

Dodecahedron is (a)tonally similar to BaN, but less atmospheric.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:05 pm 

So, basically I've been listening to quite a bit of Spite Extreme Wing lately, specifically their album Vltra and am wanting to find artists with a similar sound. It's the sort of "swampy warmth", for lack of a better descriptor, that I am drawn to, and don't hear much of in most black metal. Some of the bands from the early greek black metal scene have this particular warmth too (Varathron, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Mortify ect.) so recommendations in that vein are welcome as well. Also, I am pretty well versed in the genre in general so please avoid recommending bands that are considered to be well known if possible.

UmmeneskeligNavnlos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
UmmeneskeligNavnlos wrote:

Thanks.

It's not quuuuuite as discordant as Work, but countrymen Arkhon Infaustus have some similar stylings:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... ilis/45944
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... xyn/154945

Ilwhyan wrote:
You could try Nightbringer, though it's not as eerie as Blut Aus Nord. It's similar in that there are drawn out tremolo-picked chords and a sense of dramaticism, though Nightbringer is more grandiose and less outright sinister.

Dodecahedron is (a)tonally similar to BaN, but less atmospheric.

Will definitively check them out. Thanks a lot!

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm 

doomicus wrote:
So, basically I've been listening to quite a bit of Spite Extreme Wing lately, specifically their album Vltra and am wanting to find artists with a similar sound. It's the sort of "swampy warmth", for lack of a better descriptor, that I am drawn to, and don't hear much of in most black metal. Some of the bands from the early greek black metal scene have this particular warmth too (Varathron, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Mortify ect.) so recommendations in that vein are welcome as well. Also, I am pretty well versed in the genre in general so please avoid recommending bands that are considered to be well known if possible.

To be honest I don't know what you meant with "swamp warmth". Does it have to do with the production? Or the feeling? xD
Either way it's hell of hard to find something similar to SEW. If you already looked for similar bands somewhere I'm assuming you already know
bands like Janvs?
So maybe
Movimento d'Avanguardia Ermetico
Loss of Self
Melencolia Estatica

By the way, no one wants to pick up my request above? =p

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
To be honest I don't know what you meant with "swamp warmth". Does it have to do with the production? Or the feeling? xD

The production can certainly help, but more so the feeling. To elaborate, there is a way in which the melodicism of the riffs Spite Extreme Wing use combine with the specific guitar tone and prominent bass work to create a very full and warm sound. This sound is what makes me think of swamps and humid warm climates much more than the standard cold wintery feeling found in the majority of black metal.

Quote:
Either way it's hell of hard to find something similar to SEW. If you already looked for similar bands somewhere I'm assuming you already know
bands like Janvs?
So maybe
Movimento d'Avanguardia Ermetico
Loss of Self
Melencolia Estatica

Yes, I am aware of Janvs and other affiliated acts from that circle of musicians. I'm not too familiar with the other bands you posted, but judging by the tracks you linked Movimento d'Avanguardia Ermetico is of most interest and I'll be looking into them further. While getting pretty close, they're still not quite exactly what I am looking for though. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm 

Does anybody know black metal with electronic elements and varied song structures like these two songs?

http://youtu.be/tk5tHrcyC6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pp44rWLgqA

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Looking for black/grind which sounds like Naked Whipper rather than Anaal Nathrakh (not that I dislike the latter but it's certainly a vastly different style). Not really looking for the pure bestial BM stuff - so nothing more along the lines of Blasphemy, Proclamation, Revenge please. Production would preferably be raw but clear (though this is not essential). My main focus is on the riffing style.

I'd also like to hear some vaguely proggy black metal with a strong focus on songs - think Code circa Resplendent Grotesque (not a fan of the new one). Ideally with albums no longer than 45 minutes and each song well capable of standing on its own, mostly in the 3-6 minute region. The only other album I can think of which really fits this category is Hail Spirit Noir's debut; Oi Magoi doesn't really fit the bill as much. I don't mind a small-to-medium punk influence but I'm not looking for blackened crust, nor am I on the hunt for black/thrash. What I'm not looking for: Solefald, recent Enslaved, atmospheric BM, A Forest of Stars, gimmicky shit (n.b. this list is to be construed neither as exhaustive, nor ejusdem generis).

Thanks in advance.

Bumping this, would really like some suggestions.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 pm 

Looking for black/grind which sounds like Naked Whipper rather than Anaal Nathrakh (not that I dislike the latter but it's certainly a vastly different style). Not really looking for the pure bestial BM stuff - so nothing more along the lines of Blasphemy, Proclamation, Revenge please. Production would preferably be raw but clear (though this is not essential). My main focus is on the riffing style.

I'd also like to hear some vaguely proggy black metal with a strong focus on songs - think Code circa Resplendent Grotesque (not a fan of the new one). Ideally with albums no longer than 45 minutes and each song well capable of standing on its own, mostly in the 3-6 minute region. The only other album I can think of which really fits this category is Hail Spirit Noir's debut; Oi Magoi doesn't really fit the bill as much. I don't mind a small-to-medium punk influence but I'm not looking for blackened crust, nor am I on the hunt for black/thrash. What I'm not looking for: Solefald, recent Enslaved, atmospheric BM, A Forest of Stars, gimmicky shit (n.b. this list is to be construed neither as exhaustive, nor ejusdem generis).

Thanks in advance.

You could give Furia (Pol) a try for your second request. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwuHkbcGQ8

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:23 am 

Thanks in advance.

For your second request, try these
Farsot
Dunno if you're already familiar with Klabautamann
Are these too gimmicky? - La Rumeur des Chaines and Morko

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 am 

The accursed behind this ominous demo have sprung up from the bogs and clawed their way out of the Gueldrian muck, breathing fresh air into their stinking, festering lungs. Heed yourself for the forthcoming!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHzTooZT9kw&sns=fb[/youtube]

No, this is not my bands. Friends of mine participate in this band, though. Features members of Botulistum, ex-Zwartketterij (live), ex-Fluisterwoud, ex-Ketter, Mondvolland, ex-Marnamai, Dimensional Psychosis, Galgeras, ex-Fluisterwoud, ex-Weltbrand, ex-Nemesis Industries.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:

I hope this is to your liking:

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:17 pm 

Looking for bands along the lines of Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice. Xasthur is really good, but that's all I have found. Thanks guys.
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:40 pm 

^ You could try Wigrid, Drowning the Light, Vardan, Nocturnal Depression, Aboriorth, Blood Red Fog, Canis Dirus, Happy Days, Luror, Szron. To name a few

Also this new song rules

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^ You could try Wigrid, Drowning the Light, Vardan, Nocturnal Depression, Aboriorth, Blood Red Fog, Canis Dirus, Happy Days, Luror, Szron. To name a few

Also this new song rules

That song was right up my alley. I listen to Wigrid, they are great. I'll jot down the others and have a listen. Thanks. Hail.
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 am 

I found the latest (and sadly, apparently last) AoP album intriguing, if more than a bit impenetrable - not unlike Cultes des Ghoules's 2013 'Henbane' in a way - and I'm about to check out 'White Tomb' since it's also available on Spotify.

Actually, at the moment I happen to be re-listening to Leviathan's 'Massive Conspiracy Against All Life,' which is the main reason I popped into this thread, and it is some mean, malevolent shit for sure. Not as atmospheric or emotional, perhaps, as some of his other stuff, but more than makes up for that by being so goddamn heavy and aggressive. Any black metal fan should familiarize themselves with the works of Jef Whitehead, unless, I suppose, you really have a grudge against USBM or something.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:04 am 

If there's something Leviathan accomplishes, it's a horror-like atmosphere. It does seem quite B-class though. Aside from a handful of nice riffs on the debut full-length, Leviathan sounds mostly quite goofy and insincere to me. USA certainly isn't the best black metal country. Few quality bands come from there, especially in the styles that I most enjoy.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 am 

I am really digging Stormlord, and was wondering what other good black metal bands with power influences out there. Not really looking for blackened power metal, just influences or an epic melodic type black metal.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 am 

And that just shows the diversity of opinion among BM fans. Maybe I'm somewhat biased on account of my nationality, but I've been able to enjoy a whole range of USBM bands, from the aforementioned to Black Funeral, Judas Iscariot, Xasthur, WitTR, Krallice, and even Crimson Moon to some extent (though the evil-Donald-Duck vocals are unintentionally hilarious)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 231  Next