Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 am 

I like both but The White Goddess is definitely better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am 

Yeah, The Golden Bough's epic tracks are awesome, but the other tracks are 4-star tracks at best, and the wonky flow of a bunch of epic monster tracks and then more straightforward, short ones hurts it a lot. Good album but The White Goddess is just a masterpiece all around. More consistent, the band sounds like they know what they want exactly - not a second is wasted, and the five songs chosen flow together like a river. Absolutely some of the best metal of any genre out there.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:01 pm 

The first Atlantean Kodex is super forgettable, even the "epic" tracks don't do much for me. 'The White Goddess' is definitely a huge improvement but I'd still say it's far from a masterpiece, with "Sol Invictus" being the only amazing track, with "Enthroned In Clouds and Fire" and "White Goddess Unveiled" being pretty good as well. "Twelve Stars and an Azure Gown" is terrible, it has really annoying vocal lines without any riffs. Ugh. Still, the album is better than most other Doomsword-esque bands, such as While Listeners Wept (Because of the Shitty Music).

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

I bought it, have listened to it twice but have yet to fully digest it. It's so huge at times, I love the sound on the album. The done a killer job on production.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:25 pm 

"The White Goddess" was great, but for me it was the last 2 tracks that hurt the album. It wasn't that they were bad, I just found them forgettable and they blurred together in my mind. I thought "Sol invictus" & "Heresiarch" were both incredible tracks though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
The first Atlantean Kodex is super forgettable, even the "epic" tracks don't do much for me. 'The White Goddess' is definitely a huge improvement but I'd still say it's far from a masterpiece, with "Sol Invictus" being the only amazing track, with "Enthroned In Clouds and Fire" and "White Goddess Unveiled" being pretty good as well. "Twelve Stars and an Azure Gown" is terrible, it has really annoying vocal lines without any riffs. Ugh. Still, the album is better than most other Doomsword-esque bands, such as While Listeners Wept (Because of the Shitty Music).

I can't fathom how wrong almost everything in that post is. :???:

I think the last two tracks on TWG are fine; the closing title track took a little longer to grow on me though. I bet that is what it will be for you too, Animator.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:47 pm 

I didn't like The Golden Bough at all. I liked their general sound a lot but they couldn't seem to write any good songs to go with it. I haven't heard the second one and am not really in any hurry to - there's tons of stuff I have to catch up on yet, I've fallen really far behind the tide of new releases.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

I can't fathom how wrong almost everything in that post is. :???:

^^

Twelve Stars has an incredible melody and some of the most infections vocal lines on the whole album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 am 

I'm kind of shocked that Joph and I see eye to eye on WHW. Although to be fair I've never been able to get beyond their production and pay any attention to the music. Pretty album covers though!

Turns out the Swedish postal service is on it's job, I'm now the proud owner of every Realmbuilder album. On my second pass through Pale Architect tonight. Early stand-outs for me would be Iron Wheels of the Siege Machines and The Stars..., I think A Conflict Between Dukes will end up being a big grower as well. Ascend to the Glass Kingdom is the only song that hasn't grabbed me. It seems that once per album they stretch the doominess a little too far for me. The same thing happened with Colossal Glaciers on the debut.

The production is great and the vocals actually sound infinitesimally more dynamic and confident which is cool. Bonus points for a killer packaging/layout from I Hate. I haven't delved into Blue Flame Cavalry yet but I was dissappointed that they jammed all the lyrics onto two pages. I hate squinting to read lyrics.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am 

colin040 wrote:
I still find it Invictus to be a bit same-y mood wise. I feel it's just not as surprising The Marriage of Heaven and hell II or The House of Atreus Act I. Invictus is a consistent release though (even if I could do without ''Through Blood and Fire'' and ''Dominion Day'', which both aren't bad, they just don't add much to the album) but more variety would have helped.

Am I the only one who's excited about the upcoming Virgin Steele re-issues? The last one had a couple of cool songs (which I'd link below) so I'd hope the following ones will as well. I still find it strange the new ''hidden album'' wouldn't be one of the album the band had already written before considering they have 3 ''offical'' albums to release, but as long as it's good stuff I'm happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd4ofqqzRrQ - omething written around the Life Among the Ruins era. I wish that album was in this musical style. Would have ruled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGPe8pYJCw - Moody, dense song that has really cool guitar leads. Only lacking thing here are louder vocals.

Really amped for the new VS. I think it will surprise everyone that had written them off.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:28 am 

Hi,
I'm looking for bands like Kapel Maister, can anyone suggest me some.
Thanks

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:06 pm 

You guys should read my review of 'The White Goddess' for more bashing of the band and epic/heavy doom in general. :D Also, MasterOfSin, never heard of Kapel Maister, what do they sound like?

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 pm 

Can Slauter Xstroyes make up their mind if they want to split up or stay together? If it's the latter, hopefully something new?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:16 am 

Are they on the outs again? One of my favorite bands of all time, but I just don't bother keeping up with their modern movements. I thought they were just together to play infront of greek dudes.

For awhile there I tried to go through some of the other bands Brent Sullivan has played/written for but they all kind of sucked. I don't think there's any recapturing the magic from Winter Kill and Free the Beast. Kratky and Sullivan were a perfect team, just completely over-the-top and unhinged. I'm still blown away everytime I hear City of Sirtel or Charlotte.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:19 am 

I relistened to some WHW the other day. They're horrible, sugary sweet pap. Fuck 'em.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 am 

WHW is a great band. Very well done music. Original and powerful.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:56 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
You guys should read my review of 'The White Goddess' for more bashing of the band and epic/heavy doom in general. :D Also, MasterOfSin, never heard of Kapel Maister, what do they sound like?

I randomly read your review before even finding this thread and loved it. And then I saw this and thought "Ha, probably the same guy." I'm glad someone else doesn't buy into that boring 'epic/doom' shit. Be it AK or Doomsword, who I consider just terrible. Though I am also not moved by Manilla Road or any of those other cult bands that are revered on forums.

What makes Atlantean Kodex worse is that it's such an awesome band name.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am 

Doomsword is not terrible. I can think of many words but they are hardly terrible.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

Doomsword is so good, you guys are crazy. They don't even sound that doomy to me on my favorite album, Let Battle Commence. It doesn't have any of the groove or openness I associate with real doom, it's just like slow trad/epic metal.

If the opener to Heathen Assault doesn't make you feel something you might be dead. And the chorus is so fun to bellow along with, "BURN! JORVIK. TO. THE. GROUND!"

Edit: I didn't realize who the dissenters were. Nothing unusual here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:29 pm 

Right on the same page with you there, Jonpo - Doomsword is incredible. The guitar tone, the riffs - I don't know how you can like heavy metal and not think it's at least a little bit cool. But I guess taste will be taste. I think Doomsword is fuckin' awesome. Always meant to get more into them, I only have Let Battle Commence and Resound the Horns. Haven't heard their last few.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 pm 

Weird, you can totally work out with Doomsword! Great band too, their later stuff is good, Emp though not as good as their first 2.

I'm revisiting Grand Magus these days in light of their upcoming album and I really enjoyed Hammer of the North, very cool catchy album. I'll have to check The Hunt soon, it threw off a bit when it was releases because of the more predominant hard rock sound but I think it could grow on me.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:52 pm 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
Thanks

Just search for symphonic metal bands on the archives. They sound fairly standard for symphonic metal, though they do have a good vocalist.

Here are a few you might like:
The first three Dark Moor albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqf75nEXiJA

Oratory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqor2GM0X9k

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 pm 

WHW have sections of greatness that last about 20 seconds each, and the rest is boring drudgery. Also, the vocalist blows.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm 

Damnit Exigence, you agreeing with me actually undermined my points because your opinion here is so devalued! Glad to hear I'm not the only one to dislike WHW though; Acrobat, Jonpo, and Oblarg have the right of it. I understand Empyreal completely, because he's a big fan of europower which is also often sappy and ball-less. But as I said in my review, I really don't understand why people would have a problem with europower but enjoy crap like WHW, AK, etc. Very similar styles, both technically and aesthetically, as far as I can tell.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:45 pm 

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this recommendation?

Looking for power/speed metal which has a lot of variety in terms of tempo, vocal delivery, riffs etc. Maybe a good reference point could be the latest Persuader album. If the band has minimal or no keys, that would be great. I can go through the similar artists column but there are just too many out there. A specific album recommendation would greatly help my case. Thanks :)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 am 

shouvince wrote:
Can anyone point me in the right direction for this recommendation?

Looking for power/speed metal which has a lot of variety in terms of tempo, vocal delivery, riffs etc. Maybe a good reference point could be the latest Persuader album. If the band has minimal or no keys, that would be great. I can go through the similar artists column but there are just too many out there. A specific album recommendation would greatly help my case. Thanks :)

As part of the Similar Bands category, I'd definitely start with Dark Empire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_2HxV2ki8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8oUKsEr1Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZAX2m9ZYU

Deliciously dark and heavy power metal, and certainly along the lines of what you're looking for.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:31 am 

^ Aye. Sounds very very close my requirement. Thanks!

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 am 

The Animator wrote:
MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
Thanks

Just search for symphonic metal bands on the archives. They sound fairly standard for symphonic metal, though they do have a good vocalist.

Here are a few you might like:
The first three Dark Moor albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqf75nEXiJA

Oratory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqor2GM0X9k

I like very much, because they put a lot of "classical sound" in his symphonic metal, specially harpsychord, it's digital but to me they make a extradordinary combination between metal sound and classic sound. The guitar is outstanding (in the album Into Salvation), and they not only have a good vocalist, they have two.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm 

MasterOfSin: Try searching for neoclassical power metal. I don't listen to much symphonic power metal, but Virgin Steele might be what you're after. They don't use medieval instruments but they have good use of keyboards, often with classical themes or interludes (e.g. "Interlude in G Minor" or whatever from Atreus I). Check out 'The House of Atreus: Act I' and Act II, and maybe 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part II'. If you're looking for europower, Empyreal might be of more help.

Shouvince: Haven't heard the latest Persuader yet but Slauter Xstroyes is excellent technical power/speed with a lot of tempo changes. Grudge and Helstar's 'A Distant Thunder' fit the bill as well. If you don't mind a healthy dose of thrash with your power/speed, definitely track down Matthias Steele's debut and both of MaelstroM (progressive power/thrash from the US). The vocals aren't terribly clean, but I find them cool and the band has everything you wanted; constant tempo changes, riff style changes, and vocal style changes, plus a large helping of neoclassical influence. Not quite power/speed, but another rec would be Upwards of Endtime's debut. It's more like epic heavy/speed/hard rock, but it's got different vocal and riffing styles on almost every song, highly recommended.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:31 am 

^ Hey Jophelerx, thanks. I checked out a couple of songs online. I'm quite familiar with Helstar though. As for the rest, Slauter Xstroyes were pretty badass. I listened to a live version of Winter Kill and it sounded great. More of an old school vibe and I can certainly find myself listening to this often. Grudge got better with subsequent listens. I can see the variety here. Matthias Steele was just alright. I listened to a single track, perhaps more digging is required. Upwards of Endtime wasn't something I was looking for but they sound good too. Regarding Maelstrom, are you talking about this band? There is another Maelstrom which also plays power/thrash so I haven't gotten around to checking them out.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm 

What is King Diamond doing on this month's cover of Decibel?
Does that mean he will finally give us a new record this year??????????????
Give Us Another Album...Please!
The internet was actually created for the sole purpose of making lists. Usually of suspected people...good jokes...best hallucinogenics...top 5 butts (KYLIE!)...euphemisms for stroking a random organ...We'll be damned before we deviate from that Prime Directive!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

Yeah that's the right Maelstrom, shouvince. Probably should've just linked but I was lazy. :P Matthias Steele definitely isn't for everyone, but if you can get past the thin production I'd say it's excellent. But it may not be for you. Cauldron Born's debut would be good to check out if you haven't, it's got some Helstar and Slauter Xstroyes vibes as well as a strong Fates Warning influence.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 pm 

Do you guys know of songs similar to Wuthering Height's Mad Sailor, in which the song is so catchy and uplifting you might even be a little ashamed to show to a pop fan, has some folk elements and doesn't completely suck ?

Oh, I almost forgot, doomsword kills. Shame on you.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah that's the right Maelstrom, shouvince. Probably should've just linked but I was lazy. :P Matthias Steele definitely isn't for everyone, but if you can get past the thin production I'd say it's excellent. But it may not be for you. Cauldron Born's debut would be good to check out if you haven't, it's got some Helstar and Slauter Xstroyes vibes as well as a strong Fates Warning influence.

Yup, more exploring is needed. It's still early days regarding Matthias Steele so I'll give it time. Thanks again, I'll check out Maelstrom and Cauldron Born.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 am 

The bashing of AK and WHW is acceptable and somewhat reasonable, but shut your dirty whore mouths when it comes to Doomsword!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am 

Aydross wrote:
Do you guys know of songs similar to Wuthering Height's Mad Sailor, in which the song is so catchy and uplifting you might even be a little ashamed to show to a pop fan, has some folk elements and doesn't completely suck ?

Easy; Falconer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7c2BsuETGE

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:52 am 

Nahsil wrote:
The bashing of AK and WHW is acceptable and somewhat reasonable, but shut your dirty whore mouths when it comes to Doomsword!

Right!? It is beyond me that any metal fan can even fathom a dislike for the mighty Doomsword.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 am 

DoomSword rules! What is wrong with people??? Yes, the first two records are the most essential but the rest of the discog just feels like they settled into their sound and got comfortable which isn't necessarily a terrible thing. Let Battle Commence just sounds so fucking vintage now and although I didn't like The Eternal Battle as much, the song "Varusschlacht" will ETERNALLY slay!

Atlantean Kodex impressed the hell out of me with The White Goddess, ignore Jophelerx (who I would hate so much right now if he wasn't a Virgin Steele fan! :-P ) who rants about bands playing gutsy epic metal in the first paragraph of his bitter and totally uncalled for review.

@SleightOfVickonomy; yes, it would be nice to see a new King Diamond album considering how totally hopeless Give Me Your Soul was. Always a pleasure for me to listen to the old KD records. I even treasure the ones most fans regard as flat (Voodoo, The Graveyard, House of God) and if we can't get a new Mercyful Fate, then I'll gladly make do with a new KD album.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 am 

Aydross wrote:

The Storyteller have a lot of uplifting stuff in their arsenal. What I love about The Storyteller is their use of folk melodies, aggressive riffs, and solos that create such an atmosphere like your in a different time altogether. I Love this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITxhwtRz3k

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Oh, I almost forgot, doomsword kills. Shame on you.

This two things came to my mind listening to that song (so catchy that it is a shame to share with fellow metalhead):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1SWwC3SOhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzpyoy2s_uU

Last edited by mudrnudl on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426 ... 625  Next