Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm 

New Persuader track - Deep in the Dark

Edit: Also One Lifetime

EDIT2: Apparently the whole thing has leaked, will need to download it ASAP

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am 

I'm holding off until my CD arrives in the mail - it should be here on Monday (the xmas postal backlog slowed my order down a bit). Its nice to see positive first impressions though.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 am 

for those looking for bands similar to Lost Horizon try
Wuthering Heights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpR1m7b9b0

Rawhead Rexx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPuhG3gds4

Those are the only two that come to mind right now. I think I heard another band that sounds a little bit closer to Lost Horizon but I cant think of it right now, if I do I will post it.

*edit

It was Heavens Gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlGVxbuTMQI

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 am 

new Persuader omg omg must order

On that note, I'll probably get the Japanese edition from HMV Japan, along with some other Japanese metal I've been missing. Never ordered from HMV Japan before. Crossing my fingers that their shipping cost to Canada won't be too soul-eatingly expensive.

On another note, I heard Keldian for the first time last night (I know, I know, where have I been) and I like what I hear. Though as a collector, I should ask - I've only ever seen their debut album being sold in physical form. Are the other two available on CD at all, or are they a download-only sort of deal? (the band's official site only offers them for purchase from Bandcamp) I have no problem with paying for digital content so long as it's not also available on physical, but if I have the option I'll always opt for physical.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 pm 

I do a lot of ordering from HMV Japan. They use EMS for shipping and it is very expensive (and they increased the rates recently). On the plus side, orders usually arrive in 3-5 business days, have tracking and are insured. For 1-2 CDs, its around 1680 yen (about $18 or so) now - it used to be 1200, but they added a handling fee. For 3 CDs, its around 2000. My last order was 8 CDs and it cost 2620 yen for shipping. The one before was 3200 yen for 10 CDs.

If you want to avoid getting hit with duty, I'd suggest avoiding orders over 16000 yen (this excludes shipping). I got stung twice last year, and those were on large orders. Mind you, my largest order I didn't get stung duty. But ever since I kept my orders under 16000 yen, I haven't got charged since *knocks on wood*

HMV Japan becomes more cost effective once you start utilizing multi-buy discounts (new CDs like the Persuader do not qualify) and coupon/point promotions. The 15% coupons for 10000 yen spent are fairly common. Once my pending orders ship, I'll have around $120 dollars in coupons to redeem, which will most likely go to buying Galneryus' first five albums (then I'll have all their CDs, finally).

As weird as this sounds, avoid 4 CD orders. The last one I did the CDs were packed loosely and arrived with damaged jewel cases (not a huge deal, but they were 2CD ones). Maybe it was a one-time screw up, dunno. Normally things there are packaged really well. I find 6 CD orders to be the best - each 3 CD stack is wrapped in bubble wrap, then those are put in a bubble mailer. No movement and lots of cushion. Larger orders have the CDs put on a piece of cardboard and wrapped in thick plastic wrap, and then its glued to the bottom of the box. Not a bad idea actually, since all movement is prevented (movement/shifting = damage).

CD Japan is ok, but their metal selection is limited. Avoid Amazon.jp, their shipping is actually way worse than HMV Japan, and I heard their packing is dodgy. Any ordering I do from them is via a shopping service. Places like Disk Union (one of the best stores there) and Tower Records don't ship overseas (you have to use a shopping service). I've never used Rock Stakk before, but I'm sure they're fine.

A more cost-effective option is Disk Heaven or S.A. Music. Both use paypal and can use shipping options other than EMS. S.A. Music is great for Japanese underground metal.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm 

2000 yen for 3 CDs isn't so bad compared to what I was picturing, especially since you get tracking. (meanwhile I ordered from Nuclear Blast America recently, who charged me 30something dollars to ship an order WITHOUT tracking or insurance)

I hear you about Galneryus. They were the first Japanese band I really started to pay attention to other than Sigh. Catchy, energetic, fluid power metal that's right up my alley.

Think I might test the waters with a 3-CD order...'avoid 4 CD orders' is the kind of bizarrely specific yet useful protip that you only learn through experience. :-D Thanks for all the info. It was actually your posts in the New Purchases thread that made me say "I'd better check out this HMV Japan thing".

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 pm 

Most shipping rates to Canada are pretty bad - hence ordering from Japan not being a big deal. Factor in our dollar doing pretty good vs the Yen, its really not THAT much more expensive than ordering from Europe.

I dabbled with a few Japanese power metal bands back in the mid 00's (eg, Wizards' Hymn, Area51, Balflare, etc) but didn't pursue it further. I was aware of Galneryus back then, but never bothered to check them out. I'm totally kicking myself for that now. Back in the fall of 2012 I randomly blundered into Yousei Teikoku (not metal, but they've been getting more metal with each release - I'm guessing their next single will be), then discovered Denkishiki Karen Ongaku Shuudan (weeaboo power metal), then Onmyo-Za (folk/heavy metal). Its been all downhill ever since haha

Their scene seems to be thriving now - I'm pretty much flooded with bands I like now. I haven't had this much enjoyment checking out new bands in like 10 years.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 am 

...I really like Blaze.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Onmyo-Za (folk/heavy metal)

I checked them out fairly recently and ended up digging them a lot. Their Hyakki Ryoran album from 2000 at least is pretty varied heavy/speed/power metal and has a whole lot to offer. I'm a big fan of the vocals. I'd suggest everyone here at least check them out - I uploaded a few tracks just recently:

The opening track, Shiki o Karumono really starts at just over a minute in with some cool speed metal stuff.

The second track, Ouka no Kotowari has a lot of nice clean guitarwork, dual vocals and a killer chorus.

And Yagamutsuki is a more somber, balladic track.

There's also Precious from Japan, who I haven't listened to much at all, but who seem pretty cool. Check out the song Burning Vengeance.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 pm 

Its a pity the recording industry of Japan yanked nearly all their videos off of youtube (along with Galneryus and probably some other bands) - there used to be a ton of live videos on there. All that are left are covers and tribute bands *sigh*

I like all their albums a lot, but Kishi Bojin is my fave (the one that hooked me, actually) and Koujin Rasetsu is my second favorite.

There was a really cool one for Shiki o Karumono which looked like it was recorded in a temple or something with fire-lit light sources - the atmosphere was immense (and I liked its performance a lot more than the original)

Yagamutsuki is pretty gut-wrenching - its about a woman who commits suicide by drowning. And it sounds like it too!

Most of my favorites got yanked off youtube, but here's one that survived:
Kumikyoku 'Yoshitsune' - Mumaenjou (Live)

Oh, Videomotion has some:

Kureha (PV) (one of their lighter songs, I love the emotion in this)
Kokui no Tennyo (PV) (not sure what she's singing about, but has a pretty strong sense of urgency to it)
Aoki Dokugan (PV) (this video seems a tad violent for something that cracked the top 20 singles chart over there)
Kumikyoku 'Kurotsuka' (live) (probably my favorite suite by them - starts off beautiful then Kuroneko goes nuts)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am 

Jesus Christ, this new year was made just for me. New Persuader, new Slough Feg, new Sonata Arctica, new Within Temptation, and new Iron Savior...it's gonna be sweet!

But then again, there's also the new Iced Earth, Van Canto, Sabaton, and Freedom Call to disappoint me. Oh well...

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am 

You'll only be disappointed if you expect them to be good... which would be silly.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Jesus Christ, this new year was made just for me. New Persuader, new Slough Feg, new Sonata Arctica, new Within Temptation, and new Iron Savior...it's gonna be sweet!

But then again, there's also the new Iced Earth, Van Canto, Sabaton, and Freedom Call to disappoint me. Oh well...

Maybe a new Blind Guardian as well.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm 

Yeah looking forward to the new BG for sure, they've yet to completely let me down with a full-length (yes, I like ATiTM, sue me). Also interested to hear the new VS if it actually comes out, although I doubt it will be terribly good. Possibly a new MR as well? Would be sweet if all 3 came through, the only other year all 3 put out an album was '88.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

That Iron Savior I want pretty bad - I think I'm going to pre-order the Japanese pressing soon. Hopefully it'll have a nice bonus track (the one on "The Landing" I liked a lot, despite being a pop cover).

Blind Guardian is one of my favorite bands and I like everything they've ever done. I like "A Twist in the Myth" (underrated) and "At the Edge of Time" (slightly overrated) pretty evenly.

There's a lot of Japanese heavy/power metal which I'm looking forward to as well. MinstreliX "Chronostrings" and Albion "Campanula" both drop in early March and are my most anticipated albums at the moment. Onmyo-Za and Galneryus have new albums later this year (not sure when) and I think its a safe bet Light Bringer, Aldious, Cyntia, and Destrose will be releasing new material as well.

Normally I don't care too much about album covers, but I liked MinstreliX's a lot:

Spoiler: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Add Edguy in there and you have my great year too. And Seasons of the Wolf if they come out with something - now THAT would be a fuckin awesome year.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:57 pm 

Been looking into some more recent heavy/power, Terminus's 'Into Exile' demo is quite good and I haven't seen it discussed over here (found out about it in another thread). Epic heavy metal in the vein of Tales of Medusa, Graven Rite/Eternal Champion, and Borrowed Time's epic side. Also haven't seen it discussed here, but Sacred Guardian's debut album from 2012 seems quite good, very USPM-ish. Anyone know of any other heavy/power stuff from the last few years that I might have missed? Seems like a good time to be a fan of the genre. :)

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 pm 

New Grave Digger this year also.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:16 pm 

Triosphere, Orden Ogan, and Paradox as well. For power/prog, Lanfear, Pagan's Mind, Anubis Gate, and Zierler Projects should be releasing something this year (I feel more comfortable discussing those bands here than in the actual prog thread for some stupid reason).

Isn't Liege Lord recording something? I'm a bit cynical when it comes to reunions, but I'm pretty amped for this.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
...I really like Blaze.

I checked them out when you were talking about them before, pretty cool stuff. There are a lot of those weird unknown bands from Asia that have received very little exposure in the rest of the world due to the language/distribution barrier. During the 80s bands like Seikima-II, Anthem, and Genocide would've done quite well in Europe and the US, if they'd somehow managed to break out like Loudness did.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

Anthem I probably should check out soon. For bands with a ton of albums, I'm working on Galneryus first, then Inugami Circus Dan is my next priority, then I think I'll tackle Anthem's discography. At least from my experience, most Japanese bands seem to be pretty consistent, so blind buys aren't that nerve-wracking.

I'm currently up to my ass in alligators with stuff released over the last 5 years. I knew they had a strong market, but I didn't realize they spammed THAT many albums.

I liked that one Seikima-II video you linked awhile ago and probably will buy their stuff soon. They were recently reissued in blue spec 2 format with prices ranging from 1700 to 1900 yen, which really isn't THAT bad.

I really wish there was a Japanese equivalent to Manilla Road that had lyrics dealing with feudal Japan.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:09 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Been looking into some more recent heavy/power, Terminus's 'Into Exile' demo is quite good and I haven't seen it discussed over here (found out about it in another thread). Epic heavy metal in the vein of Tales of Medusa, Graven Rite/Eternal Champion, and Borrowed Time's epic side. Also haven't seen it discussed here, but Sacred Guardian's debut album from 2012 seems quite good, very USPM-ish. Anyone know of any other heavy/power stuff from the last few years that I might have missed? Seems like a good time to be a fan of the genre. :)

Maybe give these a shot? Not exactly the same vibe, Iron Dogs def has quite a bit of speed metal influence, but you might find something to like.

Wytch Hazel
http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-truth

Iron Dogs
http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp ... e-and-wild
http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp ... cold-bitch

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm 

Anthem are kickass from what I've heard of them. Their guitar player is so goddamn good.

Aren't Scanner meant to be putting something out as well?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Add Edguy in there

metroplex wrote:

Perdition666 wrote:
Triosphere, Orden Ogan, and Paradox as well.

Jesus Christ! 2014 is going to kick ass.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 pm 

Quote:
Orden Ogan

Want so hard. To The End hasn't really left my regular rotation since it first came out.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Spoiler: show
Empyreal wrote:
Add Edguy in there

metroplex wrote:

Perdition666 wrote:
Triosphere, Orden Ogan, and Paradox as well.

Jesus Christ! 2014 is going to kick ass.

Yes. Shame about new Edguy though. Production was halted after the suck contained within the music became so strong, it created a small black hole in the studio absorbing everything and everyone. Tobias Sammet was last reported landing in the fourth dimension, birthplace of terrible flower metal and cock rock throwbacks, trying to escape those weird pyramids.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:55 pm 

My bootleg Heavy Load - Stronger Than Evil cd showed up and I couldn't be more pleased. Real professional looking job, if I didn't know I wouldn't know, y'know? Full lyrics, song credits, cool picture of the band on the back and it doesn't look like a CDr!

Oh and the music kicks fucking ass so far. I'm a little worried about "Saturday Night" and "Free", but the opening three songs are exactly what I wanted. Especially Singing Swords. God damn.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Maybe give these a shot? Not exactly the same vibe, Iron Dogs def has quite a bit of speed metal influence, but you might find something to like.

Wytch Hazel
http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-truth

Iron Dogs
http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp ... e-and-wild
http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp ... cold-bitch

Wytch Hazel seems really, really amateurish, and not the good kind. Like, worse than Realmbuilder. Nice vibe, but little else. Iron Dogs I already know and enjoy, but you were on the right track with them, thanks man!

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 pm 

Hahaha I'm going to put on Realmbuilder next just for you. I can't get a few parts of the debut out of my head anyways. They may be amateurish but they're geniuses. The fucking TRUMPET on the final track?? Perfect touch. I'm chomping at the bit for the next two albums to arrive, but I was dumb enough to order them from I Hate so it'll be awhile.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:10 am 

I never liked Heavy Load. They have a lot going for them, but are unfortunately sunk by just not being able to write more than 1 good riff per song. The rhythm guitar gets super boring as soon as the singer opens his mouth and then I just fall asleep.

Also speaking of awesome trumpet on the final track, I listened to Virgin Steele's Invictus for like a week straight back and forth to work a while ago. I have decided that it's every bit as good as Atreus pt. 1 and Marriage 1 & 2. Fucking A+ stuff, a great middle ground between the more metal, song-based Marriage albums and the more symphonic, concept-heavy Atreus albums. "Veni Vidi Vici" is definitely their best album closer, too, trumpet solo and all. WE CAME! WE SAW! WE CONQUERED YOU ALL! WE CAME! WE SAW! WE LIVED BY THE SWORD!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Iron Dogs I already know and enjoy, but you were on the right track with them, thanks man!

Hmmm... these aren't quite as bare bones as Iron Dogs but are relatively new. More rooted in speed metal than straight heavy/power I guess but whatever. I need to post Infiltrator in the Best Demos/EPs thread, kinda forgot about it but it's a banger.

Infiltrator - http://infiltrator.bandcamp.com/

Eliminator - http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-night

Evil Killer - http://evilkiller.bandcamp.com/

Speedtrap - http://speedtrap.bandcamp.com/album/powerdose

I'll assume you know about all Chris Black's bands but if not then High Spirits and Superchrist would certainly be of interest to you, Dawnbringer too but you certainly already know them.

http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/holy-shit
http://highspiritsmetal.bandcamp.com/

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 pm 

Hammerfall is supposed to return this year as well....and ANYTHING would be an improvement over that last shit show. I saw a video of them live recently and it was so depressing. I saw them live in 2002 and it was literally watching the same thing 11 years fatter, grayer and tired.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm 

100% accurate on Heavy Load. I just happen to usually really dig their one riff per song. Dreaming from Stronger than Evil is kind of a stinker but everything else was really fun and a lot more blatantly metal than their debut.

I'm still having a hard time getting into Invictus. I love the last half. I wish I could combine the first half of Marriage II and the last of Invictus for the perfect (completely disjointed) VS album. I haven't spent enough time with it though, it's kind of a daunting listen for me.

I've picked up a bunch of good shit with xmas loot. Exciter's Heavy Metal Maniac for one. I never should have waited so long. I actually really dig some of the "slower" moments like Iron Dogs and Black Witch. And the bass playing is way more dynamic than I expected. Not like Schumaker/Grabber levels, but Alan Johnson wasn't content to hide behind the riffs that's for sure.

Still completely smitten and obsessing over Borrowed Time's debut. Never expected them to eclipse the demo tracks.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:50 pm 

I still find it Invictus to be a bit same-y mood wise. I feel it's just not as surprising The Marriage of Heaven and hell II or The House of Atreus Act I. Invictus is a consistent release though (even if I could do without ''Through Blood and Fire'' and ''Dominion Day'', which both aren't bad, they just don't add much to the album) but more variety would have helped.

Am I the only one who's excited about the upcoming Virgin Steele re-issues? The last one had a couple of cool songs (which I'd link below) so I'd hope the following ones will as well. I still find it strange the new ''hidden album'' wouldn't be one of the album the band had already written before considering they have 3 ''offical'' albums to release, but as long as it's good stuff I'm happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd4ofqqzRrQ - omething written around the Life Among the Ruins era. I wish that album was in this musical style. Would have ruled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGPe8pYJCw - Moody, dense song that has really cool guitar leads. Only lacking thing here are louder vocals.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:10 pm 

Invictus has been getting more plays than any other VS albums lately, but I definitely wouldn't put it in the same category as Marriage II. Could maybe compete with Marriage I and Atreus I, I haven't been into the latter as much lately. Not a bad album by any stretch but it seems like only have the songs are really great while the other half are decent to solid. Of course nothing can compare to "Kingdom of the Fearless" or "Child of Desolation", though. I can say that Invictus is the only VS album where I like every last song, although "Dominion Day" isn't terribly great.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Iron Dogs I already know and enjoy, but you were on the right track with them, thanks man!

Hmmm... these aren't quite as bare bones as Iron Dogs but are relatively new. More rooted in speed metal than straight heavy/power I guess but whatever. I need to post Infiltrator in the Best Demos/EPs thread, kinda forgot about it but it's a banger.

Infiltrator - http://infiltrator.bandcamp.com/

Eliminator - http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-night

Evil Killer - http://evilkiller.bandcamp.com/

Speedtrap - http://speedtrap.bandcamp.com/album/powerdose

I'll assume you know about all Chris Black's bands but if not then High Spirits and Superchrist would certainly be of interest to you, Dawnbringer too but you certainly already know them.

http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/holy-shit
http://highspiritsmetal.bandcamp.com/

Thanks man, Infiltrator seem pretty sweet. Evil Killer was sort of cool too, but man, that drum sound is so annoying. Eliminator seemed super generic, Speedtrap seemed fairly generic and the vocalist was way too OTT. I knew High Spirits and Dawnbringer already, hadn't heard Superchrist but I didn't like them. Not surprising since I don't like HS or Dawnbringer either. :P Thanks bro.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 pm 

Haha the more over the top the better! Glad you found a couple things you dig in there one way or another.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:11 pm 

Listening to The White Goddess by Atlantean Kodex. How did this slip me by? Seriously need to purchase this.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am 

It's godly, great songs from start to finish with Twelve Stars And An Azure Gown being my favourite of the album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 am 

I'm so far behind on Atlantean Kodex. I dig the Pnakotic demos but I never pulled the trigger on The Golden Bough. It seems like general consensus is that The White Goddess is better? I may just skip to that one and double back.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 625  Next