Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:06 pm 

Imprecation are a death metal band from Texas who earned underground fame in the 90s with a few demos and an EP, and recently released their first full-length album. "Satanae Tenebris Infinita" is dark and dirty death metal reminiscent of NYDM like Morpheus Descends with a blackish edge like Havohej that comes out in darker, rougher, and nearly doomy OSDM. It is mid-paced with attention to atmosphere, grit, and riffing, assembled in an almost ritualistic manner which makes the album as a whole an enjoyable and noteworthy experience. Recommended for fans of OSDM, black/death, and war metal.

This is the featured band of the day on the official Metal Archives Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/metal.archives

This is certainly one of my favorite albums this year. There's a certain feeling and style to bands like this that I love, it reminds me of Morpheus Descends, Infester, and Evolution. It has a very strong early death metal feeling, but it's not entirely the same sound as the major scenes of the early 90s (Sweden, Finland, England, Florida, New York) - it's most reminiscent of NYDM without being an apparent homage to Suffocation, Mortician, Immolation, or the cavernous feel of Incantation that has seen a resurgence in recent years - it is similar to Incantation, but it isn't suffocating and crushing. It's a style that doesn't feel overly refined and distilled from its predecessors, like most death metal since 1998 has, but it's pretty clear that there are influenced from NYDM, bands from the Moribund catalogue like Infester, and of course Texas black/death metal like Absu. Bottom line is that it's one of the best albums of this style that has come out recently.

Listen: http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... s-infinita

It's also on sale for a day or two more at the DDR store - $7.50 CD / $12 LP / $9.75 shirt - I'll mention that so ogmetal doesn't need to. ;)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 pm 

It was ok. Pretty mundane stuff.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:26 pm 

I'll have to give it another listen but I preferred their 90s output a lot more.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:22 pm 

Ehhh. The band sounds much more inspired when they slow things down to midpaced or slower. The faster blast-supported riffs just seem very...mehhh.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm 

Liked it a lot. Great atmosphere by well-managed use of keyboards. Anyone who is into the pitch black atmosphere of Incantation should give it a spin or two.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:26 pm 

Biggest Dark Descent disappointment imo. Some songs are catchy, and at first I liked the album, but the drumming style and the draggy-ness of the album started to wear on me.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:02 pm 

Honestly liked it more than TGS. I thought it would be a lot more like all the other black/death metal albums being put out by other bands.

Reply to topic