Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:04 am 

Oh .. right, of course. duh. I just read what I wanted to see and hallucinated that VT was explaining why the title and score weren't there. dur.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Word formatting doesn't carry over. I write all of my reviews in Wordpad, since it wraps nicely and doesn't add any extraneous formatting to the text that might get botched when you try to paste it into the review window. Stuff like italics won't carry over; you've gotta add that manually in the review window via HTML (or write the code in your original Wordpad doc).

I'm having some difficulty doing this... If I add <i>whatever<i> basically everything becomes italicized instead of just *whatever*. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I've tried messing around and keeping it on one side of the word and not the other but that doesn't work.... :crash:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:56 am 

VariedTastes wrote:
I'm having some difficulty doing this... If I add <i>whatever<i> basically everything becomes italicized instead of just *whatever*. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I've tried messing around and keeping it on one side of the word and not the other but that doesn't work.... :crash:

The second set of brackets needs a forwards slash to serve as the "stop" command for the italic text. So it should typed as <i>whatever</i>, which will give you whatever but the italics will only apply to that one word.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:00 am 

Thanks mate!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 pm 

Also, when you see a formatting you'd like to see about, hit quote to check it out.

Atrocious Virgin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:37 am 

If you thought about Broken Hope fades away from our minds and death metal scene, ladies and gentlemen, Omen of Disease arrived to disturb your menstrual clock. Yes, American brutal death metal messiah returns with crushing and sound better than ever new record “Omen of Disease”.

What a way to end 14 year drought for Broken Hope fans by dropping in such a spectacular record that might also be the one of the most comeback album of 2013. The album opener “Septic Premonitions” enveloped sharp and edgy sounds like in an opening of horror movie and clearly indicated of the harrowing journey unfolds in this new record. Follow up to a creepy opener, “Womb of Horrors” pummeled hard and vibes were unstoppable clearly reminding me of an old era of Broken Hope where splendid records like “Swamped to Gore” and “Repulsive Conception” swathed in. The production is solid with few songs swelling in with much reckless intensity of Jeremy and Chuck on guitars, palpitated drumming from Mike, strong bass from Shaun and tormented growls from Damain campaign clocks up this album of nearly 30 minutes into a total fucking roller coaster.

The momentum took off to different horizon in mid-section of the album where sheer ferocity tripled up and songs like ‘Rendered to Lard’ ‘The Docking Dead’ and ‘Predacious Poltergeist’ start blasting with incessant energy. Especially ‘Rendered to Lard’ which sounded great mashed up of death metal and deathcore elements than an absolute death metal salvage, a huge credit to Trevor ( The Black Dahlia Murder) pitching up his raw-ass vocals and made his presence more eminent.

However, the last half of the album turned out to be monotonous where stylistically it was a bit going overdone with lots of parts sounded totally ripped off from Obituary, Bloodbath or Cannibal Corpse. Lyrically, nothing new as words like ‘infected blood ‘pandemic’ ‘septicemic’ ‘mortal flesh’ were pretty much constant in throughout the album. On the contrary, it has every element of brutal death metal ingredients with topping of raucousness, bestiality, great comeback and powerful album on it.

A great pic for death metal fans, but for a minute if you cast aside the hype of returning of Broken Hope in 14 years span, “Omen of Disease” surely not a record to miss it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm 

To the person above me:
First off the review needs to be fleshed out a bit. Most of the Paragraphs are really short, and the final sentence doesn't need to be its own little paragraph. Also, you use lots of descriptive words and metaphors, but not a lot to show what the album actually sounds like. You compare it to some big name bands (which is a start), but nothing really beyond that. Saying it's ferocious (especially in a genre known for ferocity) isn't enough.

Atrocious Virgin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:43 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
To the person above me:
First off the review needs to be fleshed out a bit. Most of the Paragraphs are really short, and the final sentence doesn't need to be its own little paragraph. Also, you use lots of descriptive words and metaphors, but not a lot to show what the album actually sounds like. You compare it to some big name bands (which is a start), but nothing really beyond that. Saying it's ferocious (especially in a genre known for ferocity) isn't enough.

Thanks. Can you rectify it what should be the lines in that?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm 

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Atrocious Virgin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

You tell me what are those lines which shouldn't be included or which should be.

Thanks.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:07 pm 

I don't really think anything you've got is in dire need for deletion - it's more about what isn't there. I would go into more details about the riffs, drumwork, songwriting ect. You've done a decent job with broad metaphors and descriptive words, now I think it's time to make it a bit more precise. At the end of your review I don't have a big idea of what the band specifically sounds like, besides their genre and that there are a few comparisons to the biggest names in death metal. So if you could narrow it down a bit in terms of showing the reader the nuances of the sound I think you'd be golden.

ndogbomb
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:39 pm 

This is my review that was rejected. I understand there are a few grammatical errors which I guarantee I will take care of but I am more concerned with the review being described as obtuse. What does this mean exactly and what is an example in this review (or another) of an obtuse piece? After re-reading it, it seem like it is a bit to self referential and subjective in it's interpretations but feedback is of course appreciated. Also, what if anything worked well in this review.

-On a whole, this debut album mixes in it's own brand of blackened grindcore with self described “stellar grooves” that truly cement it as none other, then it's own self described genre of astrogrind. These elements, are communicated through song structures that hold one of these aforementioned elements, (the grind, blackened, astro ect) as a core of the song that is then sharply contrasted and accentuated by one of the other elements present in the song. The pacing and delivery of these elements varies, so no two songs will feel familiar. For example, Collimator and the song Dephosphoros start very grind laden while accentuated and punctuated by the small cosmic touches that on a whole, deliver the listener to a satisfying arrival.

Other tracks however, such as Indulge me in silence, offer the listener the thematic understanding interwoven into Dephosphoros. This comes through longer spacey sound scapes with that special cosmic sounding guitar that is a hall mark of this album. None such more as Indulge me in silence, is the astro element most pronounced. In particular, there is a riff where the guitar sounds like dancing through a crystal cave.-

That is not to say that Axiom is a formulaic tour of various techniques and effects pedals, far from it. All songs on the album show how this cosmic element becomes apparent through familiar grind core and black metal riffs. The songs, The Long Crossing and On the verge of an occurrence, are probably the best example for this. On a whole though, all songs are held successfully together by this unique feeling feeling of Astrogrind.

The production of this album works perfectly. The drum's sound like some one dropped a microphone in the best sounding warehouse of all time, which allows a perfect light reverb tinge that states the spacey feeling after the fact. The guitar and bass do nothing but work. When the song is crushing, they are crushing. When the song needs to be spacey, the guitar is perfectly in sync with that special clean cosmic effect that sounds like a mixture of floating and wandering a glass cavern. The sound-scapes are not noisy, but like the drums, are a satisfying underpinning after the fact. The vocals range from grinding lows, to fitting highs with the delivery in the context of Axiom's mythos, evoking images of a commodore 64 on some forgotten space rock, spitting out text as it is relayed to it, like in the beginning of Alien. The lyrics are cryptic passing references to a mixture of usual things science fiction, but the cover art and liner notes add the context of a cosmic spirituality. These elements are subtle and are up to the listeners interpretation but if you were in the neighborhood of constellations doing yoga , your probably not to far off.

The only way this album could have faltered, it has not. It is common for bands to try to add something otherworldly but deliver too much on what is a gimmick and that in turn upsets the flow of a song and you feel like your hearing two completely different songs. All songs flow perfectly. No two songs sound alike structure or tone wise and all equally great, though my personal favorite by far is Collimator.

All in all, Axiom is a grandiose debut album. Dephosphoros achieves the hard sought balance of being a truly original offering without going too experimental and never approaches realms hammyness in it's subject matter No complaints and no pretension at all in calling these guys truly astrogrind. Go download this album now.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:05 pm 

Looks to me like you are struggling with getting clear points across. I don't understand what you are trying to say and when I do, you are expressing your thoughts really awkwardly. Grammar aside, you struggle with your vocabulary choices, the words you use don't really work for what I think you are trying to say. Some examples to give you an idea:

"deliver the listener to a satisfying arrival"
"truly cement it as none other, then it's own self described genre of astrogrind"
"offer the listener the thematic understanding interwoven into Dephosphoros"
"None such more as Indulge me in silence, is the astro element most pronounced"
"The sound-scapes are not noisy, but like the drums, are a satisfying underpinning after the fact"

These statements don't convey much information and are really unclear because of awkward word choices and sentence structure. Simplify your sentences, you make them unnecessarily complicated. Keep at it, I hope that helps.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:22 am 

Ndogbomb - first as a mod, thanks for bringing it here to ask for suggestions. Way too many people just submit the same reviews over and over.

I read part of it while it was in the queue and honestly had to stop because of sone of the examples above. When I have to read sentences 2 and 3 times to understand them, it probably needs some work.

I agree with the comments before this - it kind of reads like someone told you they needed 1000 words by tomorrow and you added a bunch of filler in to get it there.

I think you have the basis of a good review in there but yes, simplify it. That's not to say dumb it down but get to your points with less filler material.

Atrocious Virgin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:28 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I don't really think anything you've got is in dire need for deletion - it's more about what isn't there. I would go into more details about the riffs, drumwork, songwriting ect. You've done a decent job with broad metaphors and descriptive words, now I think it's time to make it a bit more precise. At the end of your review I don't have a big idea of what the band specifically sounds like, besides their genre and that there are a few comparisons to the biggest names in death metal. So if you could narrow it down a bit in terms of showing the reader the nuances of the sound I think you'd be golden.

Thanks, man.

I'm busy in my work and now this festive season kicks in, I need to put myself together and work on my issues.

ndogbomb
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 am 

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 pm 

Here's my rejected review. Reasons? An awkward (as always) Engrish and some grammatic errors.

"It’s hard to believe but I discovered this album for the second time a month ago, listening to it at least once a day. And I cannot get off it… At one time, shortly after first listens, I considered this album as another bastard son born out of Dissection womb and simply a good stuff of the next pretenders to the throne. The album wasn’t noticed enough by me, now I know that was a horrible mistake. Nowadays “Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)” glows at full splendor in my collection, giving its slaughtering rays without any mercy. And even if it is not as catchy and famed as “Storm of the Light’s Bane”, Swedes know how to conquer my senses. Truly I don’t know if the album caught the attention it deserved for, but in my opinion “Slaughtersun” didn’t get a satisfactory applause in the past.

Dissection… well, the second Dawn’s album isn’t a cheap imitation of Nödtveidt works, that’s for sure. But two first albums of Dissection are some kind of determinant for the things to come. Dawn managed to clock in here six compositions (plus one instrumental piece) in almost sixty minutes. Indeed challenging task not to be a bringer of boredom, as the songs have eight minutes at least! Musically they deliver an essence of black aggression, based on unmerciful riffs, destroying performance of Jocke Pettersson on drums and typical for this genre Henke Forss vocals. And by their skills and metal passion, they avoided mentioned dullness moments, even if some parts seem to be monotonous a bit (“Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, but I don’t treat it as a blame in this song). Each track emanates a morbid-like melancholy fed by melodious layers (and here Dissection shades are heard most) that I cannot forget about. All is done by simple means, without any technical and progressive arrangements, but supported by very good sound realization of Abyss studio. The musical basis here is to tame relentless ideas raging through the avalanche of slaying sounds. And they managed to do it, controlling unbridled fury that attacks the listener from every corner. Of course, the adjective ‘melodious’ is nothing unknown in the case of this album, as every song has its own, let’s say, catchy moments, sometimes even epic and melancholic. I think “The Aphelion Deserts” is a good example of such destroying track, when Swedes mixed extremely fast tempo and memorable guitar tone. It seems to be the most violent song here, and it became the best one during my first meetings with “Slaughtersun” beast. Putting this song on the fourth place of the track order is a very good move. Let me explain: “The Aphelion Deserts” are preceded by “Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, the slowest piece here, even with some smashing doomish parts. But the most significant thing, the stifling atmosphere that girdles the mind, is one of the best moments on the album. And the confrontation of these two killing songs in the middle of the album, is a real manifestation of Dawn’s power. Two different tracks, two different emotions…

And except for instrumental “To Achieve the Ancestral Powers”, the rest is built in more varied form. I mean, Swedes juggle the songs tempo, from slow, almost melancholic parts to the moments of savage fury and unmerciful stark madness. Two last songs “Stalker's Blessing” and “Malediction Murder” have quite long openings, based on slow peaceful riffs that bring a breathing space with strong monumental guitar works… but it is simply an introduction to the musical insanity. And I think that an apogee of “Slaughtersun” comes during the last “Malediction Murder”, it lasts eleven minutes and contains everything I wrote above. And I arrive at a conclusion: this song is the best here and makes a splendid ending of the album. I have no choice, I press the play button once again and greet the first sounds of “The Knell and the World”…

Summing all the things up, the second album of Dawn is a real… dawn for superb compositions. With these bestial sounds, I can easily forget about any Dissection comparisons. And for certain the music isn’t outdated and even if it’s melodic, as the sounds are executed in lethal form. I can see a clear progress in composing as compared to the debut. Unfortunately the 1998 year of releasing of the “Slaughtersun” album was the last year of any full length activity. According to this site, the band is still active, but there is only an ominous silence in the kingdom of Dawn. So, if you don’t know this band, check their albums immediately out, especially the second full performance: great feelings guaranteed. One of the best blackened albums I have ever heard in my life. Period."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm 

Dude we were just talking about your reviews in the "Oven Fodder" section a few days ago. Although honestly, this one isn't nearly as bad as some of the accepted ones. From what little I've read of your reviews (honestly limited to your "I Hear Black" review and a few others). You tend to write like Borat talks. If that makes any sense. Ironically, I don't know how to put that into words right now.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:32 am 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:
Here's my rejected review. Reasons? An awkward (as always) Engrish and some grammatic errors.

Spoiler: show
"It’s hard to believe but I discovered this album for the second time a month ago, listening to it at least once a day. And I cannot get off it… At one time, shortly after first listens, I considered this album as another bastard son born out of Dissection womb and simply *a good stuff of the next pretenders to the throne.* (that last sentance makes no sense The album wasn’t noticed enough by me, now I know that was a horrible mistake. Nowadays “Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)” loose the quotes and the parenthesis around the album title glows at full splendor in my collection, giving its slaughtering rays without any mercy. And even if it is not as catchy and famed as “Storm of the Light’s Bane”, again loose the quotes around album titles Swedes know how to conquer my senses. Truly I don’t know if the album caught the attention it deserved for, but in my opinion “Slaughtersun” album title quotes didn’t get a satisfactory applause in the past.

Dissection… well, the second Dawn’s album isn’t a cheap imitation of Nödtveidt works, that’s for sure. huh? I don't know what you're reviewing but you just went from talking about Dissection to Dawn and now I'm confused. Now back to dissection in the next sentance But two first albums of Dissection are some kind of determinant for the things to come. Dawn managed to clock in here six compositions (plus one instrumental piece) in almost sixty minutes. *Indeed challenging task not to be a bringer of boredom, as the songs have eight minutes at least!* Musically they deliver an essence of black aggression, based on unmerciful riffs, destroying performance of Jocke Pettersson on drums and typical for this genre Henke Forss vocals. And by their skills and metal passion, *they avoided mentioned dullness moments*, even if some parts seem to be monotonous a bit Should be 'a bit monotonous (“Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, but I don’t treat it as a blame in this song). Each track emanates a morbid-like melancholy fed by melodious layers (and here Dissection shades are heard most) that I cannot forget about. All is done by simple means, without any technical and progressive arrangements, but supported by very good sound realization of Abyss studio. The musical basis here is to tame relentless ideas raging through the avalanche of slaying sounds. And they managed to do it, controlling unbridled fury that attacks the listener from every corner. Of course, the adjective ‘melodious’ is nothing unknown in the case of this album, as every song has its own, let’s say, catchy moments, sometimes even epic and melancholic. I think “The Aphelion Deserts” is a good example of such destroying track, when Swedes mixed extremely fast tempo and memorable guitar tone. It seems to be the most violent song here, and it became the best one during my first meetings with “Slaughtersun” title quotes beast. Putting this song on the fourth place of the track order is a very good move. Let me explain: “The Aphelion Deserts”album title quotes are preceded by “Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, title quotes the slowest piece here, even with some smashing doomish parts. But the most significant thing, the stifling atmosphere that girdles the mind, is one of the best moments on the album. And the confrontation of these two killing songs in the middle of the album, is a real manifestation of Dawn’s power. Two different tracks, two different emotions…

And except for instrumental “To Achieve the Ancestral Powers”,title quotes the rest is built in more varied form. I mean, Swedes juggle the songs tempo, from slow, almost melancholic parts to the moments of savage fury and unmerciful stark madness. Two last songs “Stalker's Blessing” and “Malediction Murder” title quotes have quite long openings, based on slow peaceful riffs that bring a breathing space with strong monumental guitar works… but it is simply an introduction to the musical insanity. And I think that an apogee of “Slaughtersun” title quotes comes during the last “Malediction Murder”,title quotes it lasts eleven minutes and contains everything I wrote above. And I arrive at a conclusion: this song is the best here and makes a splendid ending of the album. I have no choice, I press the play button once again and greet the first sounds of “The Knell and the World”…title quotes

Summing all the things up, the second album of Dawn is a real… dawn for superb compositions.*what?* With these bestial sounds, I can easily forget about any Dissection comparisons. And for certain the music isn’t outdated and even if it’s melodic, as the sounds are executed in lethal form. I can see a clear progression in composing as compared to the debut. Unfortunately the 1998 year of releasing of the “Slaughtersun”title quotes and rephrase this last sentance album was the last year of any full length activity. According to this site, the band is still active, but there is only an ominous silence in the kingdom of Dawn. So, if you don’t know this band, check their albums immediately out, especially the second full performance: great feelings guaranteed. One of the best blackened albums I have ever heard in my life. Period."loose this

Ok I read your review and it's not bad just a lot of grammatical nonsense going on. I made corrections and suggestions either in bold or with stars (*). Also loose the quotes around the whole thing, not sure why you did that, and the ellipsis (the ...) they don't make any sense the way you used them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 pm 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:

It's a combination of grammatical errors and your style of writing being more like a spoken style, rather than a written style. It's difficult to read, though at the core of it you know what you're talking about, we need to read sentences 2-3 times to get what you're saying some of the time. The introduction is a personal introduction, but it would be easier to read if you outlined what you're saying about the album there.

A couple points that I recommend changing, in addition to what Erosion noted:

"Truly I don’t know if the album caught the attention it deserved for, but in my opinion “Slaughtersun” didn’t get a satisfactory applause in the past."

A review is your opinion, so there's no need to say "in my opinion". "Truly" would be better used before the verb, which in this case would be "caught". I think this sentence could be rephrased to focus on the main point, that the album didn't get satisfactory applause in the past.

"The musical basis here is to tame relentless ideas raging through the avalanche of slaying sounds. And they managed to do it, controlling unbridled fury that attacks the listener from every corner. Of course, the adjective ‘melodious’ is nothing unknown in the case of this album, as every song has its own, let’s say, catchy moments, sometimes even epic and melancholic. I think “The Aphelion Deserts” is a good example of such destroying track, when Swedes mixed extremely fast tempo and memorable guitar tone. It seems to be the most violent song here, and it became the best one during my first meetings with “Slaughtersun” beast. Putting this song on the fourth place of the track order is a very good move. Let me explain: “The Aphelion Deserts” are preceded by “Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, the slowest piece here, even with some smashing doomish parts. But the most significant thing, the stifling atmosphere that girdles the mind, is one of the best moments on the album. And the confrontation of these two killing songs in the middle of the album, is a real manifestation of Dawn’s power. Two different tracks, two different emotions… "

This part gets stretched out to the point where you're continuing a description without clarifying what you mean. The section about track order could be a bit more organized - it's a good point, but it seems to be overworded and put in without completing the part before it.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:27 pm 

I'd be happy to know what you guys think of this. It's not important if you agree or disagree with what I think, because it's obviously my opinion, rather, i'd be happy to know what could be improved...

Soulfly | Enslaved
Title: Pretty f*cking metal
Score: 94%

In 2005, Soulfly released "Dark Ages", no more tribal nonsense, no more "Jumpdafuckup". This album was straight up thrash metal, it's easily the best thing Cavalera had ever done since "Arise". Filled to the brim with aggressive lyrics, neck breaking tempo's and insane riffs, "Dark Ages" was Cavalera's return to fame, or it would have been, if there was any left to have, because, sadly, thrash metal is a dying genre.

Fact is that most people had already given up on Soulfly after the painfully bad "Primitive". But those brave enough to crawl through the shit-filled collection of utter crap on that particular album, finally got treated with teeny tiny bits of hardcore and thrash on the next two albums, "3" and "Prophecy", with the latter being actually a decent album...

Then, after being spoiled by "Conquer", Soulfly kind of let us down again with "Omen", which was far from being a bad album, but didn't quite live up to the high expectations people had because of it's predecessor. But after people heard "World Scum", the 2nd song on "Enslaved", they couldn't have been more surprised. Was this even Soulfly? After the groovy sound of "Omen", this song basically "skipped" thrash metal, because this song is straight-up death metal, every second of it, it's a crazy song. And with the cooperation of Cattle Decapitation vocalist Travis Ryan, this song couldn't have been much more brutal.

That being said, the inclusion of former Borknagar drummer David Kinkade is probably one of the most adventurous and possibly best choices Max Cavalera has ever made. Thanks to him, Soulfly reached higher levels, Kinkade is insane, his work on this album is awesome, his extreme drumming skills make this album easily Soulfly's best ever.

Because really, this album is fucking great, don't pay too much attention to the cheesy lyrics, remember, we're talking about Cavalera here, a musician who hasn't been capable of producing decent lyrics since "Arise", so i'm not gonna let this slight annoyance be any reason to rate this album lower, because it's simply been this way for 19 years...

This might actually be the first Soulfly album without a weak song, really, there isn't any. Every song is great in its own way, whether it is extreme speed, thrashing riffs or impressive vocals, (although not much) this album has nearly everything a true metal fan could wish for.

I want to dedicate this part to a particular song on this album, namely "Treachery". When I first heard it, my mind was blown, it has to be one the most extreme things Cavalera has ever done, and he hasn't failed a single bit, this song is basically perfect, a strong opening, okay, forget I said strong, I obviously meant fucking insane, never have I heard a Soulfly song this fast, I was absolutely blown away by it. After the intro, the song goes into a more groovy style before ultimately becoming almost a ballad, what's even more surprising, is that this song doesn't even bore a second, because just when you begin to feel the song collapses, it lives up again, in the shape of death metal resulting into a faster part before Kinkade's unleashes all energy left on the outro of the song...

Then, to end it all, the obligatory self-titled outro song of the album, "Soulfly VIII". It's easily the best way to end this album, it's the complete opposite of the rest of the album. But that's not even a problem, I can't explain how it sounds, you just have to find out for yourself, and while you're at it, you might as well listen to the whole album, because it's well worth the time you created for it.

I might be biased, but actually I don't care, I don't dislike the first 4 albums of Soulfly as much as MA does, (not that I like them all too much) and I actually think Soulfly is a pretty great band. I listen to them everyday, and I AM a fan, and I haven't regretted it for a second, with "Enslaved", Cavalera has yet again proven he's still a fine musician. I wasn't even remotely a fan of death metal before this album, I still don't like pure death metal much, but "Enslaved" did make me respect the genre much more, because now, thanks to this album, it's actually listenable for me...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:31 pm 

A whole lot of gushing and not a lot of musician description. For example: "Kinkade is insane, his work on this album is awesome, his extreme drumming skills make this album easily Soulfly's best ever." Okay, go into detail, how is his work awesome? Speed? Technical ability? Give us examples. Put some meat on the review's bones in that regard. I'm hardly the expert here but that is what stood out to me most on first blush. It has always seemed more difficult, to me, in a way to review an album that you are really, really fond of because you are required to deliver the goods as to why, and this can be in some ways more difficult than just ranting about this or that.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
A whole lot of gushing and not a lot of musician description. For example: "Kinkade is insane, his work on this album is awesome, his extreme drumming skills make this album easily Soulfly's best ever." Okay, go into detail, how is his work awesome? Speed? Technical ability? Give us examples. Put some meat on the review's bones in that regard. I'm hardly the expert here but that is what stood out to me most on first blush. It has always seemed more difficult, to me, in a way to review an album that you are really, really fond of because you are required to deliver the goods as to why, and this can be in some ways more difficult than just ranting about this or that.

tbh I originally had some more in-depth about that particular part, but I felt it was just way too stretched and unneeded, but yeah, i'll take a look at it...

EDIT, FIXED:

That being said, the inclusion of former Borknagar drummer David Kinkade is probably one of the most adventurous and possibly best choices Max Cavalera has ever made. He makes a remarkable release, certainly in terms of drumming, Kinkade is insane, his double bass technique is crazily good, as evidence by the beginning of "World Scum", he's basically perfect at what he does...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
I'd be happy to know what you guys think of this. It's not important if you agree or disagree with what I think, because it's obviously my opinion, rather, i'd be happy to know what could be improved...

Soulfly | Enslaved
Title: Pretty f*cking metal
Score: 94%

In 2005, Soulfly released "Dark Ages", no more tribal nonsense, no more "Jumpdafuckup". This album was straight up thrash metal, it's easily the best thing Cavalera had ever done since "Arise". Filled to the brim with aggressive lyrics, neck breaking tempo's and insane riffs, "Dark Ages" was Cavalera's return to fame, or it would have been, if there was any left to have, because, sadly, thrash metal is a dying genre.

Fact is that most people had already given up on Soulfly after the painfully bad "Primitive". But those brave enough to crawl through the shit-filled collection of utter crap on that particular album, finally got treated with teeny tiny bits of hardcore and thrash on the next two albums, "3" and "Prophecy", with the latter being actually a decent album...

Then, after being spoiled by "Conquer", Soulfly kind of let us down again with "Omen", which was far from being a bad album, but didn't quite live up to the high expectations people had because of it's predecessor. But after people heard "World Scum", the 2nd song on "Enslaved", they couldn't have been more surprised. Was this even Soulfly? After the groovy sound of "Omen", this song basically "skipped" thrash metal, because this song is straight-up death metal, every second of it, it's a crazy song. And with the cooperation of Cattle Decapitation vocalist Travis Ryan, this song couldn't have been much more brutal.

That being said, the inclusion of former Borknagar drummer David Kinkade is probably one of the most adventurous and possibly best choices Max Cavalera has ever made. Thanks to him, Soulfly reached higher levels, Kinkade is insane, his work on this album is awesome, his extreme drumming skills make this album easily Soulfly's best ever.

Because really, this album is fucking great, don't pay too much attention to the cheesy lyrics, remember, we're talking about Cavalera here, a musician who hasn't been capable of producing decent lyrics since "Arise", so i'm not gonna let this slight annoyance be any reason to rate this album lower, because it's simply been this way for 19 years...

This might actually be the first Soulfly album without a weak song, really, there isn't any. Every song is great in its own way, whether it is extreme speed, thrashing riffs or impressive vocals, (although not much) this album has nearly everything a true metal fan could wish for.

I want to dedicate this part to a particular song on this album, namely "Treachery". When I first heard it, my mind was blown, it has to be one the most extreme things Cavalera has ever done, and he hasn't failed a single bit, this song is basically perfect, a strong opening, okay, forget I said strong, I obviously meant fucking insane, never have I heard a Soulfly song this fast, I was absolutely blown away by it. After the intro, the song goes into a more groovy style before ultimately becoming almost a ballad, what's even more surprising, is that this song doesn't even bore a second, because just when you begin to feel the song collapses, it lives up again, in the shape of death metal resulting into a faster part before Kinkade's unleashes all energy left on the outro of the song...

Then, to end it all, the obligatory self-titled outro song of the album, "Soulfly VIII". It's easily the best way to end this album, it's the complete opposite of the rest of the album. But that's not even a problem, I can't explain how it sounds, you just have to find out for yourself, and while you're at it, you might as well listen to the whole album, because it's well worth the time you created for it.

I might be biased, but actually I don't care, I don't dislike the first 4 albums of Soulfly as much as MA does, (not that I like them all too much) and I actually think Soulfly is a pretty great band. I listen to them everyday, and I AM a fan, and I haven't regretted it for a second, with "Enslaved", Cavalera has yet again proven he's still a fine musician. I wasn't even remotely a fan of death metal before this album, I still don't like pure death metal much, but "Enslaved" did make me respect the genre much more, because now, thanks to this album, it's actually listenable for me...

I just read your review and I gota say it was just boring and difficult to read. Roughly the first third of it is a history lesson on Soulfly and your second paragraph makes little to no sense. Also about your paragraphs, you have way and I mean way too many. I think you had some that were only two or three sentences long. Stuff like that makes things choppy and just ruins the flow of what you're writing and in turn makes it hard to read.

A couple more things: for the love of all that is holy please don't use quotes for titles. I don't know if this is a problem non native English speakers run into frequently or not but you're the second person today to do that. It is completely unnecessary and again messes with the flow and is (personally) and eye sore. Lastly I would get rid of a decent portion of your last paragraph. You don't need to defend your tastes or state that you're going agaisnt some invisible grain that MA has. Not only that, you don't even come across as a fan, you're almost riding the fence of fandom.

Azmodes wrote:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:51 pm 

I dunno he says he listens to them EVERY SINGLE DAY, so he seems pretty fan to me. But yeah, try not to draw so much attention to how unpopular your opinion is, makes you seem defensive and less compelling. Just put out your arguments of why you think it rules confidently and clearly.

Edit: also with your second last paragraph, saying you can't explain something and asking the reader to go listen is useless. Even if you can't do it well, just try to, you'll usually end up with some ridiculous sounding but epic description which while flawed has a pretty high chance of.grabbing attention, even if it lets them down haha.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:47 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I already reckoned I sounded a bit to biased, when I have time, i'm probably gonna rewrite the whole review and keep out any biased tripe ;)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:07 am 

I don't know how to put this because I don't think your English comprehension is all that great but I'll give it a whirl. I think you missed the point a bit here then. A good review is incredibly biased. When I get done reading a review I should have two things on my mind: one, a clear picture of the music and atmosphere of the album, and two, I should either be chomping at the bit to buy it or hoping it never finds its way into my collection. If you were to take out your opinions/feelings for the album it would be a cold and dank review and would most likely end up getting rejected again.

Azmodes wrote:

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:02 pm 

Clarifying the "quotes" statement above - I do encourage quotes around song titles. But quotes should not be used around album titles at all.

The "I can't explain...." Statement is something that bothers me in a lot of reviews. There are only a handful of times when you can say that and make it work. Most of the time that means you shouldn't be writing about whatever you're talking about and are doing so simply to put characters on a page. And this one didn't but for the love of Satan never start a review off with "What else can be said that hasn't been said before..." type lines. That means you shouldn't be writing that review, period.

I don't encourage you to remove your bias. I do encourage you to explain your bias with good facts / opinions. And MA users have opinions on bands. MA as an entity is an encyclopedia that only cares if a band is metal or not. So MA does not hate the first few Soulfly records (though....). :)

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:43 pm 

Yeah bias is fine, just be confident and unapologetic about it. You don't need to talk about how against the grain your stance is, just about how brilliant and well justified it is.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm 

Men, thanks for a help!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm 

I started writing some reviews for a bit of fun, and I don't think they're very good, so I haven't tried posting them here. However, I posted this review on the blog I made for them: http://swirlsofnoise.wordpress.com/2014 ... dear-life/

Umor Rex and Jehu & Chinaman record labels both contacted me and said they really liked the reviews and have offered to give me some promo material to review, which is awesome, free drone music.

I know I'm not very good at writing them though, and could maybe use some feedback as to how to get better at writing them. Thought I'd ask here seeing as this place has a lot of great reviewers. The blog is in my sig with all the ones I've done so far. Mostly ones from last year/this year, and a few other favourites.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:14 am 

Your review is decent but I have a few issues with it. Firstly even though you do paint a very descriptive picture for the music the review just feels very sterile. Best thing I can liken it to is when I proofread my wife's biology papers, sure they can be very descriptive and educational but damn if I can barely stand to read it. Just very to the point and clinical, almost cold like. Secondly, you wrote this in your third paragraph:

Twin_Guitar_Attack wrote:
It’s overall a much more interesting listen than the debut, there’s a lot more to it than the ear-pummeling debut of “In slow Motion”. If anything, if “In Slow Motion” was the vehicle carrying out the apocalypse, crushing life on Earth, “For Dear Life” is the mournful surveying of the destruction left in its wake.

I had to re-read that like five times (maybe just because it's late an I'm tired, I dunno) before it made sense to me. I would try and reword it a bit better just so it's easier on the eyes and brain for those who may not be as familiar with the work.

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 am 

The review that you linked us to wasn't poorly written at all. However there isn't much substance to it at all. You don't go into enough descriptive detail either. Try to stretch things out a bit; commit to your opinions more.

Last.fm

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
I started writing some reviews for a bit of fun, and I don't think they're very good, so I haven't tried posting them here. However, I posted this review on the blog I made for them: http://swirlsofnoise.wordpress.com/2014 ... dear-life/

I probably would have rejected that for posting on this site - not because it's bad but it doesn't have a lot of substance. I don't know that site you're linking to but it doesn't look like a blog strictly for drone bands - and therefore my suggestion is to give a little more background on the band first (not a novel) but for a band that might be a little obscure, some history is nice - and then talk about the actual music a little bit more. Drone is not the easiest thing to write about for sure but I need more than "it's heavy" to really get this. That's all I know about the band from reading the review - heavy drone. Your starting base isn't bad though.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:29 pm 

This is my third review, but I feel that my writing could be better. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In recent years, there has been a revived interest in traditional heavy metal, with various bands emulating Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and the like. Dracula is definitely one of those bands, with their inspiration coming from classic speed metal bands, primarily Mercyful Fate. The vocals in particular are very similar to those of King Diamond. Much like Diamond, Dracula's vocalist can reach incredibly high notes, most notably on the chorus of the song Possessor. The guitar playing is also excellent, taking cues from heavy metal of the late 70s/early 80s.

The songs themselves are very well written and definitely give off a dark atmosphere. Having a haunting intro played on an organ certainly helps. It makes one think of wandering through a pitch black forest, until stumbling upon an ancient castle standing among the darkness, and deciding to enter into its eerie light. Thus begins the second track, Castle in the Darkness, a speed metal song with a great interlude drenched in doom. The song's ending scream is awesome as well, and showcases the lead vocalist's talents. The next song, Possessor, opens with a foreboding riff reminiscent of Danzig. While the guitar playing is nothing outstanding, the vocals are. The singer manages to reach very high notes on this track, once again drawing comparisons to King Diamond. The final song, Wolves, is the fastest on the album. It's also the most complex guitar-wise, because of the inclusion a great tapping section during the solo and a fast, technical riff.

In conclusion, Open Graves at Midnight is a great start for the band. It's atmospheric, fast, and full of great songwriting. The album is perfect for fans of Mercyful Fate and other speed metal and I'll be looking forward to other releases by the group.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm 

You should try referring less to the traits of individual songs and try to sum up the sound of the album as a whole. Describe what the grand sum of the album is like and then, after you set the basis of your description you can name examples of it or exceptions to it. I would personally also suggest that you go more in-depth on the technical aspects of the music - you don't have to talk about augmented fifths or whatever, but describe the guitar techniques in a bit more detail (are there tremolo riffs, or triplets, or straightforward chords?). Say a bit more about the vocalist aside from "he can hit really high notes" - what is his timbre like? Is it gritty? Effeminate? Aggressive? I should be able to hear the vocals in my head if I so choose.

Use more vibrant adjectives, too! For an album you apparently like so much, you can afford to go overboard with description. You seem to do this in the third sentence of your second paragraph, but you can use it more universally than just there, I'm sure. Just practice adding more praise into your descriptions without devolving into "WOW THIS IS SO GOOD AND SO GREAT AND SO GOOD" stuff - ideally, with an album you love so much, your writing should sound so enthusiastic that I have no choice but to check it out even if I have very little interest in the style you're writing about (as is the case here).

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 pm 

Don't "walk through" track-by-track. Digest your thoughts a bit more and try to describe the album as a whole, and work in a reference or two that isn't as commonly noted as Priest, Sabbath, or MF - I find that when such prominent bands are referenced, I don't necessarily trust the reference, and I'd find much more value in referencing a specific Priest album and a different speed metal band that's still recognizable like Satan or maybe another NWOBHM band if you're mentioning the late 70s/early 80s. You use some references pretty well though, but you need to be a bit more specific with the references and use descriptions/comparisons to better equate them.

What you do well is organizing what you're doing and getting to the point briefly and effectively when you're not going track-by-track. Name an example or two in tracks that really embody the whole thing, but don't be afraid to not mention every minor element.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 pm 

Thank you both for the feedback. I'll follow your suggestions as much as I can and see where that gets me.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 am 

Something I would mention as well is that when reading it seemed to me as though you were following that old alien spaceship model for writing papers. (Anybody else remember those? Do they even still teach that method? Might be showing a bit of age here.) My point being that it feels predictable and formulatic, and personally I loose interest in reviews like that really fast.

Azmodes wrote:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 am 

I have nothing to add, I'm just interested as to what this "alien spaceship model", care to elaborate on what it is?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 108  Next