Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:47 pm 

So I started Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Ultimate Edition on Steam). Very pretty game, runs smoothly, and Patrick Stewart's voice is nice, but uh... other than that, it doesn't have much going for it so far. :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am 

I'm sure I'll finish it eventually, but I'm gonna take a gamble and say it's a shitty game. I'm about halfway through (according to a friend) and I still don't believe it's a Castlevania game. Not to mention that the twist ending is ridiculously easy to figure out and was then confirmed by said friend.

Anyways, I'm playing the Phoenix Wright games and headbutting a wall for having denied them for so long. An absolute blast.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:57 am 

Marag wrote:
Does anyone had a problem with Deus Ex HR beiing fucking slow on the pc? My graphic card is no powerhouse but runs just about every modern game, with a decent framerate, if i lower the settings enough, but even on the lowest settings HR runs at the shittastic rate of 15fps

Not just you, it's everyone. You're playing the Directors Cut, right? The regular edition was already poorly optimized for PC, but the DC went overboard. I have a pretty good gaming laptop and could run the regular edition pretty smoothly with some tweaking, but I had to turn the resolution and other settings way down to get an acceptable FPS for the directors cut. It's a pity.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:16 am 

Lord of Shadows is alright, didn't feel like a Castlevania title, but it was okay for what it was. Patrick Stewart is so goddamn cheesy in it though.

Nochielo wrote:
Anyways, I'm playing the Phoenix Wright games and headbutting a wall for having denied them for so long. An absolute blast.

Awesome series. Trials and Tribulations is my favourite. Godot is Edgeworth/Von Karma level of prosecutor badassness.

Ghost Trick and 999 share similarities to the Ace Attorney series. I can recommend Ghost Trick, but I've yet to play 999.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:00 am 

Dandelo wrote:
Ghost Trick and 999 share similarities to the Ace Attorney series. I can recommend Ghost Trick, but I've yet to play 999.

I haven't played 999, but I did come across its sequel, Virtue's Last Reward. Which was fantastic.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:56 am 

I "played" like a hour of 999 and wanted to kill myself, admittedly I was expecting something more like a puzzler version of the Saw movies than terrible weeabo teenage cutesy romance and longwinded dry arguing between random anime characters, but still infinite hatred from me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I "played" like a hour of 999 and wanted to kill myself, admittedly I was expecting something more like a puzzler version of the Saw movies than terrible weeabo teenage cutesy romance and longwinded dry arguing between random anime characters, but still infinite hatred from me.

That's...kinda like quitting Final Fantasy IV after saving Rydia because you were expecting an epic SNES adventure, not a babysitting simulator. Most visual novels are really, really, really long affairs, and as such, one hour is barely sticking your toes in.

To use a parallel, if one dismissed something like CLANNAD after only one hour because it's just a dumb high-school dating sim, they would not only miss out of the bulk of the story that takes place after high school, but also the abject emotional agony that is the After Story.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:11 am 

That hour was "I want to go and play the game" I don't lets stand.around" "No we.should do.something" "No arguing with terrorists" "I.grew up with this.girl and now I.feel kindred cutesy love with her" "We.should go since.its been a fucking hour" "no I'm scared" repeated for a genuine fucking half hour. Its more than just the endless walls.of.text which.annoyed me, its how freaking bad it was. It was like the tedious "Lets argue" part from any random horror movie.in the last twenty five years except drawn out for a painfully long time interspersed with the most.tacky love interest story I've heard this side of George Lucas.

But yeah I never made it to the "good stuff".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 pm 

Space bar broken, mate?

Anyway, 999 is garbage and one of the most overrated games of this generation. Story starts out intriguing but turns into a complete clusterfuck of idiotic and convoluted crap, and you're actually forced to sit through it several times to reach the "real" ending. It's really stupid, the first time I played I apparently made all the "right" choices to get the good ending, but the game wanted the player to have one of the bad endings first, so they threw one my way. Now I wanted to see what I had done wrong, and played through the game again making different choices, only to always get the bad ending. Frustrated I looked it up and realized my first path was the correct one... -_-

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:19 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

Not just you, it's everyone. You're playing the Directors Cut, right? The regular edition was already poorly optimized for PC, but the DC went overboard. I have a pretty good gaming laptop and could run the regular edition pretty smoothly with some tweaking, but I had to turn the resolution and other settings way down to get an acceptable FPS for the directors cut. It's a pity.

Yes it's DC. I remember playing the regular edition nicely, but this one is total shit. If I can't get this game to run on more than 20fps, I'm going to mail an anthrax bomb to Eidos or whoever was responsible for such poor optimization

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:48 pm 

I don't recall the original edition being poorly optimized, just that SSAO was enabled by default and that effect hits your framerate pretty hard in just about every game it's in. Looks nice when you're getting a decent framerate but it's never worth the performance hit if it gives you bad framerate.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Space bar broken, mate?

Haha nah just using my phone and my fingers are far too large, and it was 1.30am on a 40 degree day so I didn't feel very motivated to go fix it.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

I haven't played 999, but I did come across its sequel, Virtue's Last Reward. Which was fantastic.

I've been considering playing Ghost Trick, but I'm not sure it's something I'd like. 999 I started playing actually, though I haven't made it past the first room since I'm terribly dense in puzzle games and lack the patience to just stare at the screen for an hour to figure out what to do next. Seems like I'll be FAQing the shit out of it.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:16 pm 

That's a shame about HR Directors Cut. :( I have the regular version and a pretty beastly computer, but even that one didn't run very well compared to other games with (arguably) better visuals.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:55 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So I started Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Ultimate Edition on Steam). Very pretty game, runs smoothly, and Patrick Stewart's voice is nice, but uh... other than that, it doesn't have much going for it so far. :|

I hate to say but the 3DS sequel isn't anything special either. I bought it hearing some mixed things but from what I played it didn't feel like anything exceptional. Not to mention it stopped every time something came up to tell me what it did. Let me figure things out dammit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:47 pm 

This made me smile:
:)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:04 pm 

Obligatory:

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:29 pm 

I just bought Dawn Of War 2 pack off steam because i was listening to Bolt Thrower and all of a sudden start wiki'ing Warhammer 40k and the lore and stuff sounds cool as shit so yeh.

Never really been into Warhammer but lets see if the games are any good.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:57 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Obligatory:

lol. But it has the wrong party members ;_;

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:50 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I just bought Dawn Of War 2 pack off steam because i was listening to Bolt Thrower and all of a sudden start wiki'ing Warhammer 40k and the lore and stuff sounds cool as shit so yeh.

Never really been into Warhammer but lets see if the games are any good.

Awwww shoulda gotten DoW 1.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 pm 

Just got Dust: An Elysian Tail today and cant recommend it more, great graphics, voice acting, gameplay, music, humor, etc. Its on sale for the next two days on the steam sale, definitely a top notch action rpg.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:26 pm 

Man now I gotta play FFVI again, thanks guys.

Rattus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:52 am 

I was just past when I got Trevor in GTA V and my system died out on me. To be fair it endured 5 years of abuse. Anyway, the new PS3 should arrive in the next couple of days, and then I will enjoy Trevor's rampages once again. I still hate him for killing Johnny Kleibitz though. YOU DO NOT KILL JOHNNY AND NOT INVOKE MY RAGE. :O

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:34 am 

I have now played Mount Your Friends. You should too, it is a beautiful work of art.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:09 am 

I never questioned how Sabin can suplex everything in FFVI. BECAUSE HE'S FUCKING SABIN.

Speaking of JRPG's, currently going through Bravely Default and it is wonderful. Reminds me of FFIX a lot, but with a more basic FF storyline. The streetpass stuff is also brilliant.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:27 am 

Never cared about space sims but this sounds really friggin awesome:

If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 pm 

The only thing I've nailed on that Steam sale so far was the GOTY edition of Borderlands 2 - which I nailed for $15 (it was briefly at that price, then jumped back up to $30).

I got my key for the Grim Dawn alpha recently (I backed that on kickstarter last year) and it seems pretty fun so far.

Hopefully these will tide me over until Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, and Might and Magic X get their retail release.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:39 pm 

This is possibly the most hilarious thing ever (spoiler alert for Heavy Rain, end game):

I'm dying.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:38 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Never cared about space sims but this sounds really friggin awesome:

(Star Citizen trailer)

I'm a massive fanboy of Freelancer. Total space sim bliss as far as I'm concerned - deep in ways I care about (lots of factions, huge areas to explore as you wish, gorgeous visuals) but relatively simple in others (really fluid mouse controlled flight mechanics, simple but fun trading options). So the opportunity to play a MUCH bigger game in the same spirit is really, really cool. The totally dynamic nature of the missions rules (missions are generated on-the-fly due to trading supply & demand along with frequency of player or AI piracy/attacks), the death system is pretty fantastic and I love that they've split the game into distinct story mode and open-world segments as that provides for much better balancing of difficulty throughout the game world.

In short, I'm psyched for Star Citizen and if it lives up to all of its promises (it's generated over $30 million in pledges so far, so it fucking better...) I will likely sink shitloads of hours into it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:42 pm 

I'm a terrible badger mom. Only one of my five cubs survived. :(

Anyways, play Shelter. It costs very little on Steam right now and is a pretty unique, memorable and beautiful experience even though the main game is only about an hour long. Ignore the Metacritic rating, it doesn't do the game justice.

Perhaps they should turn it into an open world sandbox/exploration game... maybe just as an additional game mode or something. It seems like a really obvious thing to do with the concept. Hm.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I'm a terrible badger mom. Only one of my five cubs survived. :(

Anyways, play Shelter. It costs very little on Steam right now and is a pretty unique, memorable and beautiful experience even though the main game is only about an hour long. Ignore the Metacritic rating, it doesn't do the game justice.

Perhaps they should turn it into an open world sandbox/exploration game... maybe just as an additional game mode or something. It seems like a really obvious thing to do with the concept. Hm.

Saw this game before, looked interesting but never bought it. It's 6 bucks right now though so why not? I just hope it won't be too emotionally traumatizing for me :panda:

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:16 am 

Okay, I am one of those geniuses that consistently sells games to Gamestop and regrets it afterwards. Today I just went out and bought: The Killzone Trilogy, inFAMOUS 2, Red Dead Redemption and The Resistance collection, all of which are games I previously owned and I spent $98 getting them back.

Although, since I have gotten a job again, it isn't really an issue anymore, but does anyone else do this? I usually did it to get a new game I wanted since they pay absolute shit in cash.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 pm 

Just bought Dark Souls and Ni No Kuni. Farewell, life.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm 

Is Alan Wake worth $3?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 pm 

Nah.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Is Alan Wake worth $3?

Nein.
The_Orphanizer wrote:
Just bought Dark Souls and Ni No Kuni. Farewell, life.

Not familiar with the latter, but regarding Dark Souls, well..... Welcome to the family!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:33 pm 

Finished AC4. Good thing that they switched things up. Certainly made me want to keep playing (52 hours), but you do get a side-tracked by pirating and collecting, which takes up the bulk of the game. The story itself I could have breezed through in maybe 9 hours. Present day stuff was annoying and inched toward progressing that plot while the past-setting was interesting but not too substantive. Present day missions in this = play as a nameless abstergo (read: ubisoft) employee working in a PR branch of said company - annoying coworkers, human resources, and a nice view of a city. Oh well.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:20 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Is Alan Wake worth $3?

I wouldn't play that game even for free

OzzyApu wrote:
Finished AC4. Good thing that they switched things up. Certainly made me want to keep playing (52 hours), but you do get a side-tracked by pirating and collecting, which takes up the bulk of the game. The story itself I could have breezed through in maybe 9 hours. Present day stuff was annoying and inched toward progressing that plot while the past-setting was interesting but not too substantive. Present day missions in this = play as a nameless abstergo (read: ubisoft) employee working in a PR branch of said company - annoying coworkers, human resources, and a nice view of a city. Oh well.

AC4 looks fun as hell, but it never gets a good sale on Steam and my pc probably won't be able to handle it, and my PS3 is broken again
I stopped following the series the AC series after the sequel to AC2(what was it called again?) but 4 had me interested again
I just ubisoft would drop this fucking lame present-day stuff. I don't care for no greater unifying plot, just give me some interesting eras to play and kill people in

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 am 

Brotherhood is the best one in the entire series if you ask me. That's the one after II. Revelations is where they started losing me, though that game is still good. III was the disappointment, but IV brings it back to good again. No city is large - Havana is the only one that even looks like a civilized town. Expect to be very side-tracked by pirating and exploring. Boarding ships is fun as fuck (blessed be the gun gameplay improvements). As a character, Edward's not terrible but his journey's not as compelling as someone like Ezio. Granted, Ubi switched things up regarding him and the assassin order, which was nice. The pinnacle is taking down 5 legendary ships. Once you've done that, you feel like you own the Caribbean.

I really wish ubisoft would drop the present day angle, too. No one gives a fuck about it anymore.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Brotherhood is the best one in the entire series if you ask me. That's the one after II. Revelations is where they started losing me, though that game is still good. III was the disappointment, but IV brings it back to good again. No city is large - Havana is the only one that even looks like a civilized town. Expect to be very side-tracked by pirating and exploring. Boarding ships is fun as fuck (blessed be the gun gameplay improvements). As a character, Edward's not terrible but his journey's not as compelling as someone like Ezio. Granted, Ubi switched things up regarding him and the assassin order, which was nice. The pinnacle is taking down 5 legendary ships. Once you've done that, you feel like you own the Caribbean.

I really wish ubisoft would drop the present day angle, too. No one gives a fuck about it anymore.

Yeah, I meant Revelations, not Brotherhood. Brotherhood was still good. It has been some time since I played AC so I confused the titles a bit. Ezio storyline in general was the strongest point in the series. The first AC was fresh, but 2 and Brotherhood honed it. Too bad they dropped the ball after.
I hear the 3 is really shitty, not just a disappointment, but a bad game overrall

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547 ... 940  Next