Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:27 pm 

Good lordy, you've missed out on one of the best games this gen by far! :lol:

To me the writing was a lot better than like Mass Effect or something. It manages to stay pretty neutral, whereas other games like this suffer from going too left or right.

Level design was fantastic and the best throwback this gen to stuff like the original Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and things like that. Mutliple paths and options, you create your playstyle, the hub worlds are great, etc.

Easily 20+ hours without the DLC, which I hear is pretty long as well (never played it and haven't gotten to it yet in the Directors Cut).

It's damn good.

Project Snowblind was so shittastic I'm pretty sure it's not even considered to be in the same series and everything thesedays, or is just rightfully 110% ignored.

I've been skeptical about these devs with the new Thief, but the latest trailers look pretty damn good and they've been listening to the fans by dropping lame elements from the game that nobody wants. Ask just about any DX fan and they'll tell you HR was a nice surprise, and I hope that turns out to be the same case with the next Thief too.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm 

Of course it's worth $5. It was worth full price at launch, it's one of the best games of 2011.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:27 pm 

Dudes, I'm totally out of the gaming loop. Don't be mean!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Just buy it and atone for your sins.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:32 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

With you on this one. The last console I bought new was PS2 in 2001, and the only game I really ever played much on that was FF10. The last game I played competitively "as in put any effort into it" was counter strike 1.6 I think? Or Unreal tournament, it was concurrent really. Fuck 'em.

Oh my last shining moment of brilliance was picking up super smash brothers on game cube for the first time in 2005 (i played the original a lot) and was able to thrash people who owned the game (and weren't slouches) without even warming up. I will beat anybody as luigi on either of those games. Meet me somewhere...I'm not afraid...I don't even need to warm up.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 pm 

Have yall already discussed Skyrim? Cause I am hooked on that shit

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

I've been skeptical about these devs with the new Thief, but the latest trailers look pretty damn good and they've been listening to the fans by dropping lame elements from the game that nobody wants. Ask just about any DX fan and they'll tell you HR was a nice surprise, and I hope that turns out to be the same case with the next Thief too.

It's very difficult for me to imagine that this game will be anything under a personal rating of awesome, but I could be setting myself up for a hard fall with that.

I've recently found a interest in indie pc games, particularly with the remake of The Stanley Parable being released a couple of months ago.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm 

This is the trailer I'm talking about if you haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQIps7bjv4

Second half looks like nothing but greatness to me.

The way I'm looking at it, is that midway into Deadly Shadows the story got hilariously bad. But despite that it didn't ruin the awesome atmosphere and gameplay for me. That's all I really want here. But no doubt I'm bummed they got a new voice actor and composer though.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm 

This is the first time that I've seen that trailer, thanks for linking it. I enjoyed the first game (and the second game, though briefly) mostly because of the fun gameplay as well, and never even paid attention to the story. In my defense, I played these games at a pretty young age (though this might be a moot point since I always paid full attention to the stories in other games). Nonetheless, I am hoping that this new Thief game will not be too heavy on story. I don't know. I'm still optimistic.

Something about the trailer seems awkward. I can't put my finger on just what it is. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:23 pm 

My main complaint about Human Revolution was the lame ending. Just really weak in general.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:11 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
My main complaint about Human Revolution was the lame ending. Just really weak in general.

It was probably written with a direct sequel in mind. I just wish they'd hurry up and make it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:59 am 

Didn't like the three mega buttons?

The whole final stretch was awful, but up to that point it's an amazing game.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:42 am 

The final stretch is cool to play and see, the tower is a cool place, but the narrative just doesn't make any goddamn sense. There's like zero emotional connection to the final villain at all, whereas in DE1 you get introduced to them right from the very beginning. Hell, even in DE2, for all its flaws, the ending is great and all the factions are very well fleshed-out.

Omar 4eva!!

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:12 am 

Xeogred wrote:
So the Wii U completely rocks. Can't remember the last time my roommate played his PS4, I'd say the Wii U is the winner this holiday.

I have to disagree. It's an alright system but it still has a long way to go. Obviously, the PS4 and Xbox One aren't going to have super strong showings as they're about a month old, but the Wii U has been out for over a year now and still has a pretty lackluster library of exclusives. Being a long time PS3 and 360 owner, there's just not much appeal in being able to buy the same games I finished years ago with tacked on Gamepad controls. My girlfriend and I played New Super Luigi U for maybe an hour before we both just sort of shelved the game indefinitely.

I do like the Gamepad for playing off the TV though, while the TV is used for something else. But my experiences with it have been pretty mixed, with it doing a great job of dropping the connection despite me sitting an entire six feet away from the Wii U. That said, I do like The Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker HD. I've been meaning to pick up the new Mario, as I've heard good things, but just haven't had the time. And 2014 is sounding like it's going to be an amazing year for the system. But I don't think it's there yet.

If any game system is the winner this holiday, it's definitely the 3DS.

On another note, I've recently started playing Chrono Cross. It's a little slow going for me, as I tend to just hang out on the Another World map and listen to that amazing overworld song.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:14 am 

In defense of Wii U, it's starting to fill the void in couch multiplayer gaming which is almost entirely absent in PS4 and XB1. Super Mario 3D World looks magnificent and has convinced many people to get a Wii U. We have Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 to look forward to, which I'm sure will be system sellers.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 am 

Arkhane wrote:
Have yall already discussed Skyrim? Cause I am hooked on that shit

You are late to the party mate

Just got HR on steam, never had the chance to finish it when it was new. Also got Sleeping Dogs since I saw some people here saying it is fun, plus it's cheap as shit right now, and Mortal Kombat, which will probably be a shit port with shit controls but I can't help it since I like MK

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 am 

I didn't mind the endings to Deus EX: HR. They came off more as opening cut-scenes rather than endings to me, though. Besides, Michael McCann's soundtrack for this game helped make everything in this game a pleasure to sit through, including the short endings. I think the monologues were well written as well, it's just a shame that more didn't happen before the game cut to them.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

ARGGHH I'M GONNA QUIT PLAYING CAVE STORY IF I DON'T FIND A WAY TO SKIP THAT FUCKING CUTSCENE RIGHT BEFORE RABID TOROKO IT'S WAY TOO FUCKING LONG AND I KEEP DYING IN THAT FIGHT GODDAMNIT!!!

Edit: Nevermind, just did it. Still...
Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

May Greenfield
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm 

I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. I love it. I love the comic book style graphics and I love the humor and gameplay.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:08 pm 

La-Mulana is a ridiculous $1.50 on Steam (Flash sale). Get it while you can. Hardcore Metroidvania with insane puzzles, babby gamers beware!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
So the Wii U completely rocks. Can't remember the last time my roommate played his PS4, I'd say the Wii U is the winner this holiday.

Super Mario 3D World is incredible, and multiplayer makes it a whole new experience. Both ways are insanely fun though. I've heard New Super Mario Bros is fantastic as well so I've still got that to hit up.

I know, the multiplayer is kickass. We had a blast with it. Regarding the solo experience, the post game in 3D World is utterly awesome. This game is a testament to not writing off a game based on a first trailer.

Also get The Wonderful 101 if you haven't already. It is spectacular, I don't know how Platinum games will ever top it. Also the music is fucking balls to wall amazing.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
La-Mulana is a ridiculous $1.50 on Steam (Flash sale). Get it while you can. Hardcore Metroidvania with insane puzzles, babby gamers beware!

Did you beat it? I quit after a few hours because I'm bad at video games.

Edit: Thomas was Alone is also on sale for $2.50 instead of $10 (worth getting for the narration).

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:47 am 

Dandelo wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Also get The Wonderful 101 if you haven't already. It is spectacular, I don't know how Platinum games will ever top it. Also the music is fucking balls to wall amazing.

Barely hear any talk about this one, but that's awesome to hear and I love Platinum so I'll have to check it out.

Also tried out the demo for Sonic Lost World and honestly liked it quite a bit. I didn't love Generations like most, even the 2D stages with classic Sonic were okay at best for me, but the art design/visuals was just so busy nothing about it was memorable. In comparison I am really impressed with how New Super Mario Bros U looks, since I'm picky about this in sidescrollers (the DKCR games look similar and awesome). But yeah, Lost World actually seemed neat so I might have to check that out too.

Also excited to finally get around to Pandora's Tower, looks like my kind of stuff. I might give The Last Story another shot too, but yeah...

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:49 am 

Been playing a ton of Dead Rising 3. Fuck its good. Pretty much fixed everything wrong with the first two games. Good fun.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:08 am 

Free games for PS+ in January:

PS4: Don't Starve
PS3: DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Brothers
Vita: Smart as..., Worms Battle Islands

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:20 am 

Holy shit, good thing I didn't buy DmC or Bioshock on Steam. Thanks, Morrigan!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:44 am 

Valve made Left 4 Dead 2 free on Steam today (it's still up as of now, probably not much time left). That made the Steam servers completely collapse and I missed King of Fighters 13's flash deal. :durr:

Yeah, that PS+ lineup looks great. This month is probably going to be my first month with PS+ since a PS4 is headed my way. Got lots to look forward to.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am 

Anyone here played the latest installment of the Hitman series? If so, I have two questions for you:

1) Is it good? If you think so, then what do you like about it?

2) Is it difficult? And I'm talking "Blood Money" difficult here. I don't think that I want to deal with a pussified Hitman game.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:28 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Anyone here played the latest installment of the Hitman series? If so, I have two questions for you:

2) Is it difficult? And I'm talking "Blood Money" difficult here. I don't think that I want to deal with a pussified Hitman game.

It's utter crap. There's a reason why I refer to it as 'Batman: Codename 47' in a review of mine. Don't be expecting a Hitman game. It isn't difficult, just boring and tedious. And the Point-A-to-Point-B level design sucks ass.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:40 pm 

Woot, both Dark Souls II AND Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes coming out on March? It cannot get better than this. Have both preordered, can't wait!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:43 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Valve made Left 4 Dead 2 free on Steam today (it's still up as of now, probably not much time left). That made the Steam servers completely collapse and I missed King of Fighters 13's flash deal. :durr:

I made it just in time for that flash deal. KoF with controller support is super fun, man. Too bad the online component is so small.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:35 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

It's utter crap. There's a reason why I refer to it as 'Batman: Codename 47' in a review of mine. Don't be expecting a Hitman game. It isn't difficult, just boring and tedious. And the Point-A-to-Point-B level design sucks ass.

Well, that's..... Discouraging.

Not a fan of the Arkham series though?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:39 pm 

It's not as bad as he said, but they did take a step too far in streamlining it. Not being able to upgrade your weapons like in Blood Money was also lame. Is it difficult? God no. But it's a solid 7/10 game. Not essential by any means, but it won't make you want to kill everyone who had a hand in creating it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, that's..... Discouraging.

Not a fan of the Arkham series though?

Oh, no, I am. I just don't want Batman in my Hitman.

Necroticism174 wrote:
It's not as bad as he said, but they did take a step too far in streamlining it. Not being able to upgrade your weapons like in Blood Money was also lame. Is it difficult? God no. But it's a solid 7/10 game. Not essential by any means, but it won't make you want to kill everyone who had a hand in creating it.

Oh, no, it is. Hitman should never be a '7/10 game'. And don't even get me started on that craptastic wannabe-superhero storyline. Oh my god.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

I tried it on PS+ and ranted about it in the chatroom a while back. Couldn't bring myself to continue it. I never played a Hitman game before but it certainly didn't warm me up to the franchise. The AI was broken as shit, the costume system was just annoying and broken, and the story seemed pretty crap. It had a lot of potential but never really delivered, it seems.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:15 pm 

For anyone that wants AssCreed4 on Steam but knows Steam hasn't put up a slashed price, check amazon. I just got it for under $40 (more than a $20 reduction). You'll get a product code and you can just activate it in steam.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:19 pm 

Just got myself Skyrim. Any tips which mods I should use to make it more challenging and fun? I have a gut feeling that vanilla Skyrim won't quite do anymore now that I've played Dark Souls. Probably wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the hyperactive mod community.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:34 pm 

Speaking of Dark Souls (and I'm posting it here because this is addressed to those who are not currently playing it!), it's currently at a measly $6 on Steam. Goooooo!

(And don't forget to install the Durante mod)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Just got myself Skyrim. Any tips which mods I should use to make it more challenging and fun? I have a gut feeling that vanilla Skyrim won't quite do anymore now that I've played Dark Souls. Probably wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the hyperactive mod community.

You should just go to skyrim nexus and the steam workshop, look at the highest rated files in each category and personalize your own experience, IMO. If you look at the mods with the most downloads, they are (usually) the best of their kind.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:48 pm 

Does anyone had a problem with Deus Ex HR beiing fucking slow on the pc? My graphic card is no powerhouse but runs just about every modern game, with a decent framerate, if i lower the settings enough, but even on the lowest settings HR runs at the shittastic rate of 15fps

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546 ... 940  Next