* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Black knight sword ftw!
I haven't found a weapon that dealt more damage/time. It's faster than the giant greatswords but deals roughly the same damage per hit. I tried maxing out some weapons with different upgrade paths, but none were close to the sheer efficiency of the BKS. I guess it's the ultimate noob weapon :oh shit:

Or, you know, I just found the moveset of the sword to be perfect for me, and in fact there isn't a single weapon with the same or a similar moveset that's stronger (except perhaps
Spoiler: show
Artorias Greatsword
but I didn't have nearly enough faith for that one.

Black Knight Great Axe, dude. It swings really fast despite its massive size, and its damage makes the BK Sword seem like a toothpick. When I got the PC version I decided to make a build around the BK weapons since I had never used them, and I was impressed by how amazing they are. When I got the BK Gaxe drop from the knight in the Catacombs, I ditched the BK sword and never looked back. At +5 it's a complete monster, IMO it's the best PvE weapon in the game (and it's really good for PvP too). Its only flaws are that it's fairly heavy (but by no mean the heaviest weapon) and it cannot be buffed, but at 620 AR when two-handed, why would you need to, you can just spend the points you'd otherwise spend on faith or int on more VIT or END anyway.

My rocking BK amazon* build here.

* Seriously, the Dragon's Crown amazon has similar looking giant axes so it fits :D I gave her some more armour than the DC amazon though... :P

PS: the Artorias greatsword is garbage, never use that ever

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I kinda feel like this thread should be re-named "video game and dark souls help thread"
I tried Command and conquer Red Alert 3 yesterday, I love the cheesy cut scenes and terrible Russian accents and all, but something's not the same about these glossy futuristic RTS games. On the other hand, did anyone ever play C&C Renegade? Basically like Tiberian Sun but from a First person shooter mode and it was fuckin awesome, too bad they canned production on that next gen FPS game a while back

Yeah I played Renegade a ton. Probably my favorite multiplayer shooter as a C&C fan back in the day. There's a remake of it for Unreal Tournament 3. It's getting a standalone release which I hope gets popular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-bLTYiaqqk

Also, Tiberian Dawn*. :P

I never played the multiplayer side of Renegade (I had a windows 98 with AOL dial up for the better part of 15 years growing up), though there was like a map editor game where you basically played a match with the computer that I got really into, I loved how you could still use the basic structures from the other games from a first person level. I never got into the unreal tournament games for the above mentioned dial-up connection I lived with for most of my formative gaming years, but I'd jump on the wagon if they did get a standalone release for another C&C FPS

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:53 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqPds3qqz8

This is unbelievable. :lol:

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqPds3qqz8

This is unbelievable. :lol:

hahah yeah, I first saw a video of it here and thought it looked fucking hilarious.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:16 pm 

This poor, forsaken soul would like to request some tips on how to murderize the Taurus Demon. I hate the Taurus Demon. I hate his bloody children. The entire Taurus Demon bloodline must fucking DIE.

Either that, or the tin motherfucker who, for whatever reason, lives in the basement of the tower that leads to the aforementioned TD. I tried to take him down, but he's got a huge freakin' mace and is fast as hell, to boot.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:06 am 

If it's any consolation, I feel the same way toward a certain dual-boss about 50 hours away from where you are right now. :P

As for ol Horny...Get good at rolling under his legs when he lunges/swings forward, and give his ass a good smacking. I was a pyromancer so I was able to burn him up a bit at first, but once you get good at rolling he should get pretty easy.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:16 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
This poor, forsaken soul would like to request some tips on how to murderize the Taurus Demon. I hate the Taurus Demon. I hate his bloody children. The entire Taurus Demon bloodline must fucking DIE.

100% dmg reduction shield with high poise. You can't dodge that fucker (I couldn't). No room for dodging.
Edit: Disregard, I didn't see Gnu's post. Didn't figure the leg thing out.

Xlxlx wrote:
Either that, or the tin motherfucker who, for whatever reason, lives in the basement of the tower that leads to the aforementioned TD. I tried to take him down, but he's got a huge freakin' mace and is fast as hell, to boot.

Eh, just sneak in a slash at the right moments. Takes a while but isn't exactly complicated. You can sometimes dodge his attacks without rolling.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:22 am 

Thanks. I shall report later once the bovine threat has been neutralized.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I hate his bloody children. The entire Taurus Demon bloodline must fucking DIE.

You'll have a chance to do that since you run into those guys as mobs later in the game. :D

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm 

I did it! The Satanic cow is dead.

Sure, that red dragon on the bridge killed me shortly thereafter, but still; I REIGN SUPREME OVER YOU, TAURUS DEMON.
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I hate his bloody children. The entire Taurus Demon bloodline must fucking DIE.

You'll have a chance to do that since you run into those guys as mobs later in the game. :D

Good.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

Oh, Taurus Demon. I was thinking of the Capra Demon. The Taurus Demon wasn't hard.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:52 pm 

Speak for yourself. RPG noob here.

EDIT: .....Capra Demon?

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speak for yourself. RPG noob here.

EDIT: .....Capra Demon?

Really looking forward to your thoughts about this one when you get there :lol::lol: (but as a preemptive notion, you will have a chance to wage your revenge against his next of kin as well).

And bullshit, Taurus Demon is a pain in the ass for any first timer so don't let these guys make you think otherwise.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm 

Pff, compared to some other bosses he's nothing. Xlxlx, you will soon forget your grudge against his kin and will wish yourself back to the simple time when he was your biggest problem. He's only hard because he's the first real boss. Asylum Demon doesn't count.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:54 pm 

No boss is hard once you get the hang of the mechanics. My advice? Play until your comfy with your character, get all the kinks out of your first build and just start over immediately - don't even have to beat it. You'd be surprised how much better you are the second time through.

But a legitimately frustrating boss, consistently...on every playthrough? probably...Seath? He has that goddamn tail attack that can just really fuck you up if you get caught. But, if you have lightning spears, hes weaksauce....hmm...I'll have to think.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:01 pm 

Well, Ornstein & Smough have been consistently kicking my ass for a couple days now...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 pm 

lol @ all that rage over Taurus. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Speaking of S&O... Kahalachan linked me this earlier, pretty neat:

Also... My Heart Breaks :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 pm 

Don't even mention O&S right now, I'm at 20 tries on those pricks and still no progress. :fuck: :fuck: :fuck:

Eh, guess I'll have to go grind a few dozen more giant knights and get to 59 or 60 before I try them again.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 pm 

So..... Taurus is easy? o_O

I might go with Frog's advice, mostly for the sake of practicality. Get shit figured out, and start over. Sounds like a plan, especially considering that this is the first time in ages a game has kicked my ass so hard.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 am 

Morrigan wrote:
lol @ all that rage over Taurus. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Speaking of S&O... Kahalachan linked me this earlier, pretty neat:

Also... My Heart Breaks :(

I'm waiting with bated breath for Gwyn's theme. I hope he does it.

Crossbreed Priscilla too. And Moonlight Butterfly would sound great.

For anyone interested I found this. 3 Fallout games for free.

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series ... promo_2013

It's legit. I never played the earlier ones so this might be a chance for me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:43 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Don't even mention O&S right now, I'm at 20 tries on those pricks and still no progress. :fuck: :fuck: :fuck:

Eh, guess I'll have to go grind a few dozen more giant knights and get to 59 or 60 before I try them again.

What's your gear? Weapon upgrades are usually far more important than your level.

If you say you have the drake sword or the lightning spear, then LOL

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:32 am 

Fuck yeah, eat it Contra 4! Finally beaten! :guns:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

What's your gear? Weapon upgrades are usually far more important than your level.

If you say you have the drake sword or the lightning spear, then LOL

Giant Armor + 5
Giant Leggings + 2
Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Gauntlets + 5
Gargoyle's Halberd + 5
Grass Crest Shield + 5
Ring of Steel Protection
Havel's Ring

Basically, a mish-mash of the best protection I can get while still maintaining medium encumbrance (47.1/94.5 at the moment.) I've been grinding the giant knights to buy twinkling titanite from the giant blacksmith; just finished the armor last night and I was planning on finishing the leggings today. I feel like I'm kind of behind on enchanted weapons based on things I've heard; I've only had the opportunity to get the Divine Gargoyle's Halberd (which was useful in the catacombs), but I disenchanted it in Anor Londo since it seemed physical damage was more important there.

I have that awesome Crystal Halberd on-hand, which really helped me clean house earlier, but it's heavily damaged and I don't have any titanite chunks at the moment.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 am 

bitch where's ur ring of favor and protekshun?

Also, that's a pretty good set-up...GH is a super dope weapon. I would've waited to upgrade it at least to a +6 before Anor Londo tho, considering you can just killed giants and buy large titanite. Or, before you left, you could've farmed LTs in the Great Swamp.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 am 

I'm actually trying out a dex/int build for my second run, I have no goddamn idea what i'm doing,
but the combination of using fast hitting weapons (going for fastroll too) with a big flat damage buff sounds like it should be good, not to mention a nice change from lumbering around in heavy armour bashing everything with a claymore.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Giant Armor + 5
Giant Leggings + 2
Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Gauntlets + 5
Gargoyle's Halberd + 5
Grass Crest Shield + 5
Ring of Steel Protection
Havel's Ring

Basically, a mish-mash of the best protection I can get while still maintaining medium encumbrance (47.1/94.5 at the moment.) I've been grinding the giant knights to buy twinkling titanite from the giant blacksmith; just finished the armor last night and I was planning on finishing the leggings today. I feel like I'm kind of behind on enchanted weapons based on things I've heard; I've only had the opportunity to get the Divine Gargoyle's Halberd (which was useful in the catacombs), but I disenchanted it in Anor Londo since it seemed physical damage was more important there.

I'm pretty sure you don't have worthwhile stats (what are they, anyway?) to use enchanted weapons, so stick with physical. Forget the twinkling titanite (easier to buy from the blacksmith than to farm it, to be honest), it won't make a huge difference against the boss, what you need is more damage output. If you unlocked all the shortcuts, it should be easy for you to get to Andre and ascend that halberd +6 (buy large titanite shards from the giant blacksmith if you don't have any already) and then pump that to +10 asap. If you can do the same with your shield, even better. More stability = easier time blocking.
I'd also ditch the ring of steel and equip either the wolf ring (well okay you might not need the extra poise...), Cloranthy or the RoFaP (but then you're stuck with it and erm... (mild spoilers)
there's two areas that are gonna be a pain if you don't have lighter armour to compensate your lack of Havel, during those parts it'll be either unequip Havel or break RoFaP
or maybe even the Lightning resistant one for the boss.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 pm 

^ oh yeah man, go back to Andre and ascend, you have to go back through Sen's, but it won't take long. GH is a really baller weapon (my weapon of choice up until NG++++) and just pump END/STR/VIT until lvl 90 or so. Endurance will be particularly useful - especially because of what Morri mentioned.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:12 pm 

Two months ago, I wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I think I was working on taking Siff down because I had gotten tired of trying to run across the AL ramparts while those guards knock you off with the damn longbows...Maybe I'll give that another shot when I start up again.

I didn't realize you could leave Anor Londo without the Lordvessel. :???:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm 

Erp, if you go back to where you entered and activate the ring of light, the gargoyles will take you back down to Sen's Fortress.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 pm 

I didn't find a ring during my playthrough, and I wanted to go back at one point.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

Hmm, strange. Maybe it was either a glitch or something that got patched in. I started playing in July and this is only my first playthrough so I'm not sure how much things have changed.

Also, thanks to Morri and Frog for the advice. To Andre the Blacksmith I go...(I'll post my stats once I get home this evening.)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:31 pm 

also...if you're sitting on titanite chunks, you could just do a suicide run down to New Londo and get the big ass ember. but that might be too much for now.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:16 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Fuck yeah, eat it Contra 4! Finally beaten! :guns:

I'm fairly sure I'm going to get this after Christmas. It looks awesome, don't you get Contra and Super C as unlockables as well?

Wayforward have some great games.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
don't you get Contra and Super C as unlockables as well?

Yep! That's pretty cool. I'm gonna work on Super C next actually, but it should be somewhat easier I think...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 am 

Okay...I went to Andrei with 10 large titanite shards in tow but I didn't have any option to ascend my gargoyle's halberd? Was I supposed to give him something that I missed?

Edit: Okay, so having heard about the Depths, I realized I got to Anor Londo without ever going there. Somehow I got the Basement Key way back when I started but never paid much attention to it. So NOW I have the large Ember, at level 57. Hehe.

Raw Gargoyle's Halberd + 5! And all the pyromancies from Laurentis! Christ, I also felt like I was missing something...At least burning through The Depths at Level 58 was a hell of a lot easier than it would have been if I came here when you were supposed to. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:00 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Okay...I went to Andrei with 10 large titanite shards in tow but I didn't have any option to ascend my gargoyle's halberd? Was I supposed to give him something that I missed?

Edit: Okay, so having heard about the Depths, I realized I got to Anor Londo without ever going there. Somehow I got the Basement Key way back when I started but never paid much attention to it. So NOW I have the large Ember, at level 57. Hehe.

Oh gods, you picked the Master Key as a starting gift didn't you. :nono: Bad idea for new players.

Quote:
Raw Gargoyle's Halberd + 5!

Aaaaaand we went from bad to worse. :ugh:

Raw is a terrible upgrade path. Sorry but you just wasted all those shards. Once at raw+5 you cannot upgrade it any further and it won't scale well with your stats. You needed to take it to +6 and then upgrade to +10. Oh well, good luck with the rest of the game. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:15 am 

No Master's Key, (I went with the Tiny Being's Ring), I honestly just didn't pay attention to getting the basement key.

Also, Frog was the one who suggested I get to + 6 and ascend, so blame him. :P

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:28 am 

Uhh, when you ascend you go to +6... but when you are at +5 you can ascend to +6 or to raw.

So you went to Blighttown through the Darkroot Basin and the Valley of the Drakes then? Unusual without the master key but I guess it's doable. Did you explore the upper level of Blighttown?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Oh gods, you picked the Master Key as a starting gift didn't you. :nono: Bad idea for new players.

Should've probably asked about that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Uhh, when you ascend you go to +6... but when you are at +5 you can ascend to +6 or to raw.

So you went to Blighttown through the Darkroot Basin and the Valley of the Drakes then? Unusual without the master key but I guess it's doable. Did you explore the upper level of Blighttown?

Yeah, I went raw. Got a little over zealous when I saw the attack power boosts.

I did indeed take the valley of drakes route. I also explored the upper levels because I didn't see Queelags Domain in the distance until i doubled back after running into the locked door.

I have a tendency to make the least intuitive decisions in RPGs, this is nothing new for me, haha.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543 ... 940  Next