Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:07 pm 

I am a huge fan of the band Vinterland and their amazing album Welcome To My Last Chapter. I'm looking for more bands that have a similar sound but all the recommendations I've come across don't really fit the bill in my opinion. I see bands like Dissection, Sacramentum, Dawn (swe), Unanimated, Istapp and a few others (basically all the bands metal archives categorized as similar artists for Vinterland) mentioned as similar to Vinterland and I really don't think any of them sound much like it...Most of the bands mentioned often as being similar to Vinterland are more along the lines of blackened melodic death metal whereas Vinterland had more of a mid paced melodic black metal sound..I've listened to Vinterland many times and dont really hear any melodic death metal. To me Vinterland sounds more like older Katatonia or Immortal than any of the bands typically associated with being similar to Vinterland.

So anyways Im hoping someone will recommend me some new music to listen to that actually sounds like Vinterland..something cold and melodic thats not too fast with no death metal influence!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 pm 

Although I happen to disagree with most of what you said about the subject I do see where you're coming from. Try Sad Legend's only album, it may do the trick.

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion! Good recommendation but I actually already have that album although that's somewhat close to the sound I'm looking for, for example the end of the song "Nocturnal Cries of Agony" sounds a lot like Vinterland. Also you said Sad Legend only released one album but they actually came out with a new album in 2009 but I haven't heard it yet.

I also think early Thy Serpent material and the tragically short lived Polish band Marhoth have a similar sound to Vinterland if that helps spark any recommendations with anyone..more suggestions please!!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm 

LARPwarrior wrote:
Also you said Sad Legend only released one album but they actually came out with a new album in 2009 but I haven't heard it yet.

Which is so bad that I tend to forget it exists! :lol:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 am 

How about Cor Scorpii's Monument? They sometimes use synths which Vinterland doesn't overtly use. But it's a really good album either way.

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm 

shouvince wrote:
How about Cor Scorpii's Monument? They sometimes use synths which Vinterland doesn't overtly use. But it's a really good album either way.

Monument definitely is a good album but unfortunately thats another recommendation for a band I already listen to but thank you tho. By the way Monument probably is the loudest album I have on my ipod, literally it sounds like it was recorded at twice the volume of most albums..if I'm listening to my ipod on shuffle on the normal volume my ears get an extremely loud surprise whenever a song from Monument comes on

gynarchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 am 

The closest match to Vinterland's debut is Mork Gryning's debut Tusen Ar Har Gatt. Check it out!

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:35 am 

gynarchy wrote:
The closest match to Vinterland's debut is Mork Gryning's debut Tusen Ar Har Gatt. Check it out!

Finally got around to listening to this and youre right Mork does sound like Vinterland just not anywhere near as good. it was a good album from my first impression just not in the same league as WTMLC, Looks like this thread is going to die without me ever finding more of that Vinterland sound I was hoping to hear :panda: Thanks for the suggestions people I hope to hear more

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 am 

Something you might not expect but give Marduk - Opus Nocturne a try, nothing like what Marduk plays nowadays.

I also think you'll enjoy Hades - Dawn of the Dying Sun.

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:39 pm 

Great recommendation with Hades I already like them a lot but don't like anything i've heard from Marduk at all, however that track you posted and the reviews for that album on this site have me very interested in hearing Opus Nocturne in its entirety, Thanks!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am 

Give Marduk - Those of the Unlight also a try ;)

Reply to topic