Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Alright, guys, I'll give it a shot even though I can't remember the last time I listened to Esoteric, shame on me. So yeah, also don't expect anything remotely in the death/doom vein.

The clues given made me think of Licht erlischt... and the atmosphere on the second album ...and Below, the Retrograde Disciples. "Sinister, but melancholic and heartfelt"? Well, Nerrath draws a truly sinister picture of the future of Europe and mankind as it is. This corresponds with the authentic, heartfelt vocal performance. I love almost everything that guy has released, but actually that is mainly because he writes wonderfully crafted riffs, so I could talk about those now, but listen for yourself... http://youtu.be/rhukxNU44P0

It was a fair shot, albeit skewed. :p

Ilwhyan and I were imagining something along the lines of this (weren't we?!).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:48 pm 

Quite so, Androdion. Loss of Will, too - that shouldn't be as hard as Circle, at least.

Still, I do like that song you posted.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

Ataraxie might be along the lines of what you're after... maybe. I'd be surprised if you two weren't familiar with Ataraxie already though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCbXbhvTP2A

If I can think of any others I'll let you know, but I've been keeping an eye out for something that captures the same feeling as Esoteric for a while with no luck.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:02 pm 

The name is familiar, but I don't think I've listened to the music. Thanks. Any album by them in particular?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm 

You'd be surprised at how many times I've seen that name mentioned or in distros, but I've never had the courage to ever listen to them.

What DeathForBlitzkrieg posted wasn't bad, just a different mindset really. Guess I'll try Ataraxie too then.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 pm 

I'm only familiar with their debut Slow Transcending Agony so it's the only one I can really recommend you. It's a great album, but for some reason I've neglected to listen to it for ages!

I've heard that the second album (no idea about the 3rd) is along the line of more 'typical' funeral doom than the debut but I'm not sure how accurate that is, as I haven't listened to it myself.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:59 pm 

Just a quick post to tell that I'm three songs into Slow Transcending Agony and the band's aesthetic seems promising. I can really appreciate their use of melody running into more blunt death/doom sections, although the transitions can be a bit abrupt sometimes. I'll keep listening. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 am 

Hmm, maybe try the demo by Monads? Really fantastic stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 am 

Curiously that one is also on my "to do" list. Didn't have much time to listen to it yet tough. Slow Transcending Agony reminds me a bit of Quietus, although it isn't quite on par with that one (but then again what is?). It's a very enjoyable album but it isn't as dynamic and varied as I'd like it to be. Still good though. Must check Monads in its entirety since the two songs I heard were indeed pretty good.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 pm 

Thanks ain'tbatty, I'll check that out once I get home.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 pm 

I'm relatively new to funeral doom; can somebody maybe recommend me a band based on this lists of wants and don't wants?

What I do like:
  • Reverb
  • Lead guitars that expand upon whatever mood is provided by the rhythm guitars
  • Extremely large percussion presence (not technical or fast, but loud)
  • Wormphlegm-style torture doom, in theory (I don't like the "tortured screeches from the seventh circle of hell" or whatever, or the sparse production job on their demo, but I really, really like their full-length)
  • Asunder (I like the very dreary, purely melancholy sound they have, with no mystical elements attached)
  • Airy, vast production and mixing
  • Long songs that do a lot before they end
  • Occasional clean interludes

What I don't like:
  • Most things with a mystic/vaguely psychedelic vibe (think Evoken or Esoteric)
  • Songs with really simplistic riffs that don't have leads on top very often
  • Dry or thin production
  • Black metal vocals (in funeral doom, at least)
  • Anything that relies on numbing repetition

What should I check out with this in mind? Feel free to assume I've never heard any band I didn't mention here.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 am 

androdion wrote:
Curiously that one is also on my "to do" list. Didn't have much time to listen to it yet tough. Slow Transcending Agony reminds me a bit of Quietus, although it isn't quite on par with that one (but then again what is?). It's a very enjoyable album but it isn't as dynamic and varied as I'd like it to be. Still good though. Must check Monads in its entirety since the two songs I heard were indeed pretty good.

That's a pretty good assessment of it - it is very good, but it certainly doesn't match the quality of Evoken or Esoteric. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

MutantClannfear wrote:
What I do like:
  • Reverb
  • Lead guitars that expand upon whatever mood is provided by the rhythm guitars
  • Extremely large percussion presence (not technical or fast, but loud)
  • Airy, vast production and mixing
  • Long songs that do a lot before they end
  • Occasional clean interludes

Well that pretty much describes Esoter -

MutantClannfear wrote:
What I don't like:
[list][*] Most things with a mystic/vaguely psychedelic vibe (think Evoken or Esoteric)

Gah, nevermind. Umm, try Tyranny - they share a couple of members with Wormphlegm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OauYoqpasI

Another one worth looking into would be Catacombs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfOypah35U, though while it doesn't rely on repetition by any means, it may still be a bit too repetitive for your liking. Hopefully that's offset by the fact that the vocalist is an absolute monster.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 am 

Tyranny and Catacombs are both great so far, especially the former. Catacombs almost verges on too repetitive for me, but as it is right now, it's fine. I'll look more into these guys and check out their similar artists on MA. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Tyranny and Catacombs are both great so far, especially the former. Catacombs almost verges on too repetitive for me, but as it is right now, it's fine. I'll look more into these guys and check out their similar artists on MA. :)

It's pretty weird that you enjoy Catacombs and not Evoken, at least their later albums. I find their "mystic/vaguely psychedelic vibe" to be more on the stuff before Antithesis Of Light, so try that album and A Caress Of The Void as well. The later one is very much a dynamic death/doom album with a funereal tempo. Esoteric I get you not liking because of the elements you describe, but then again have you heard that song I posted a bit above? If "Circle" doesn't tickle your fancy... I mean that song is so fucking huge that it could be a whole album on its own! :lol:

Tyranny is very well worth your time, listen to both their works (album and EP).

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:36 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:

Yeah Tyranny's great. I wish more bands went that route with their funeral doom instead of the super sad melancholic route. If I come across any others I'll let you know. Also, maybe you tried out the wrong Evoken songs :P In Solitary Ruin is amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVwSUTQva8

Now, to join in on the Esoteric circlejerk! I have a real soft spot for Esoteric's Caucus of Mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRZDTuDv2Q

Do you guys know of any songs similar to the first half in particular? I'm after some music where the tempo slowly increases until the song reaches a crescendo of sorts. Anything from funeral doom to slow tempo death metal would do the trick. This tempo change thing is used in Evoken's In Solitary Ruin as well, to great effect.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:05 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Now, to join in on the Esoteric circlejerk! I have a real soft spot for Esoteric's Caucus of Mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRZDTuDv2Q

Do you guys know of any songs similar to the first half in particular? I'm after some music where the tempo slowly increases until the song reaches a crescendo of sorts. Anything from funeral doom to slow tempo death metal would do the trick. This tempo change thing is used in Evoken's In Solitary Ruin as well, to great effect.

I've actually been wanting to ask the same for some time now, but it eventually passes by and I forget about it. I think that early MDB, and by early I mean 1991/92, does a bit of that. Sadly though I feel that globally it isn't very good... I mean, there are great songs in the first EP and album, but on the global scenario it drags my expectations to the ground. If anyone knows more stuff like "Caucus of Mind" then I'm game! ;)

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hey people, I'm looking for any Doom metal song with fast drumming.
I'm not looking for fast passages in Doom songs, I'm looking for a typical doom song (guitar and vocal wise) with fast drumming (techincal or not, does not really matter).
As this request fits on both Doom thread, I will duplicate this one there.
If you are going to aswer in this thread, please keep the recs within extreme doom.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:45 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Also, maybe you tried out the wrong Evoken songs :P In Solitary Ruin is amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVwSUTQva8

"In Solitary Ruin" is the only song I like from Antithesis of Light. Granted, I'm mostly familiar with that one album and then pinches of songs from their others - do they have any albums that are a departure from the sound on AOL in particular?

FraktalZero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:29 pm 

Yayatassa, perhaps this?

Zaraza, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_QXhF0Iwc

A few songs on this album are fast paced.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:55 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Gypaetus wrote:
Also, maybe you tried out the wrong Evoken songs :P In Solitary Ruin is amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVwSUTQva8

"In Solitary Ruin" is the only song I like from Antithesis of Light. Granted, I'm mostly familiar with that one album and then pinches of songs from their others - do they have any albums that are a departure from the sound on AOL in particular?

As I said before, go for A Caress Of The Void. If that one doesn't change your opinion on Evoken then nothing will. ;)

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:49 pm 

androdion wrote:
I've actually been wanting to ask the same for some time now, but it eventually passes by and I forget about it. I think that early MDB, and by early I mean 1991/92, does a bit of that. Sadly though I feel that globally it isn't very good... I mean, there are great songs in the first EP and album, but on the global scenario it drags my expectations to the ground. If anyone knows more stuff like "Caucus of Mind" then I'm game! ;)

Hmm... I checked out a couple of songs from their debut and the EP, but it just kind of missed the mark for me. I think it may have been the shitty youtube quality, but we'll see. Thanks anyway Androdion. Gah, where the hell are the Esoteric inspired bands that totally should exist but just... don't :( I'd settle for blatant Esoteric/Evoken cloning at this point.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:52 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
androdion wrote:

Hmm... I checked out a couple of songs from their debut and the EP, but it just kind of missed the mark for me. I think it may have been the shitty youtube quality, but we'll see. Thanks anyway Androdion. Gah, where the hell are the Esoteric inspired bands that totally should exist but just... don't :( I'd settle for blatant Esoteric/Evoken cloning at this point.

Yeah, they're kind of hit and miss for me too. Try "Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium", "The Forever People" and "Erotic Literature". They're the closest I can think of.

starg4te
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 am 

Looking for a band like Year of no Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHf7TimSfrM
or like This Will Destroy You song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERfdjtGjJA
Preferably instrumental with that doom & dark, oppressive atmosphere in their music.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 am 

I'm looking for obscure old school doom metal bands that are similar to Pagan Altar or Reverend Bizarre.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:43 pm 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, they're kind of hit and miss for me too. Try "Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium", "The Forever People" and "Erotic Literature". They're the closest I can think of.

I think I'll check out the EP and full length properly at some point. The songs you recommended aren't bad at all - "Erotic Literature" in particular was really interesting, thanks :) Still a bit hit and miss, but I think they're something that will grow on me if I give them a shot - we'll see.

peterpessimism wrote:
I'm looking for obscure old school doom metal bands that are similar to Pagan Altar or Reverend Bizarre.

The doom/sludge/stoner help thread will be able to help you with that.

starg4te wrote:
Looking for a band like Year of no Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHf7TimSfrM
or like This Will Destroy You song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERfdjtGjJA
Preferably instrumental with that doom & dark, oppressive atmosphere in their music.

Have you checked out the similar artists tab for Year of no Light? Quite a few bands there (in particular bands like Pelican etc would suit what you're after). In addition, it may be worth checking out the album Lapsus by Light Bearer. It has vocals but they're fairly sparse from what I can recall, with extended instrumental passages. Hmm... Koloss may do the trick as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcDljvnQIu0 few clean vocals in this track, but mainly instrumental.

You'll probably get more help if you take this to the doom/sludge/stoner thread, as I doubt you'll find anything too similar in the extreme doom (death/doom and funeral doom) vein. You may even find a few things you like in the electronic + drone help thread. I think there's some post-rock bands mentioned in there that you might like, but I could be wrong.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Anyone knows any band like Winter? I love how they are able to create such bleak atmosphere with clean guitars. I also absolutely love the drumming in this album. Instead of being a background instrument here the drums add a lot to the songs

I know this request is over a month old, but I just thought of something that might be of interest. In 1989 the crust/grind band Sore Throat released an album called "Inde$troy" under the name Saw Throat; a weird experimental concoction of apocalyptic industrial/crust that sounds in places very like Winter, and I mean very. However, there are other moments that are completely unlike Winter, such as some uptempo industrial/punk bits, but if you're looking for something that treads a similar path there are worse places to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGOjxXlTMw

Winter always seemed to me to fit more into the extreme punk spectrum (slow experimental crust/grind) than any kind of metal scene (death/doom etc.), especially in their concepts and aesthetic. I think it was only really the Celtic Frost influence and the slow tempo that got them lumped into the doom/death scene.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 am 

androdion wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

As I said before, go for A Caress Of The Void. If that one doesn't change your opinion on Evoken then nothing will. ;)

I'd say try the Shades of Night Descending demo or Atra Mors instead. The Alpha and Omega, as it were. The former has a healthy dose of death metal in the mix and a rawer sound with more compositional variety, while the latter expands upon the AOL sound with a greater palette of moods and 'colors.' Evoken kicks ass. I wasn't overawed with AOL the first time I heard it but after a few listens I was blown away by its tenebrous, spelunking nature. "In Solitary Ruin" the only good track on there? :nono: "Pavor Nocturnus" alone is worth the price of admission.

MutClam, have you checked out Mournful Congregation yet? They might be a bit "gentle" for what you're thinking of but in a literal sense they touch on almost all the points you mentioned. Maybe give The June Frost or The Book of Kings a shot.

That Monads track was pretty good, iamntbatman, thanks for the heads up.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 am 

Indeed. Monads, mo' problems.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 am 

Andrew Craighan of My Dying Bride is a man of great taste!

Check out his Doom Metal playlist;

1. Bewitched - Candlemass
2. Solitude - Candlemass
3. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
4. My Pain - Triptykon
5. Invalid Prodigy - Morgion
6. When Desperation Fills The Void - Novembers Doom
7. Like Locusts - Withered
8. Ancient Incantations - Runemagick

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/03/28/aa ... -craighan/

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:12 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Gah, where the hell are the Esoteric inspired bands that totally should exist but just... don't :( I'd settle for blatant Esoteric/Evoken cloning at this point.

You probably know them already but check out Dolorian. They are often mentioned alongside Esoteric.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 am 

Vamos wrote:
Gypaetus wrote:
Gah, where the hell are the Esoteric inspired bands that totally should exist but just... don't :( I'd settle for blatant Esoteric/Evoken cloning at this point.

You probably know them already but check out Dolorian. They are often mentioned alongside Esoteric.

Was totally going to say that.
Also, Inverloch (post dISEMBOWELMENT, dUSK) has some Esoteric vibes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:46 pm 

I know I've heard Dolorian before, but I can't for the life of me remind myself of what/how they sound. That's usually a bad sign for the band in question, he.

Yayattasa wrote:

Some, but clearly not enough. :(

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:16 pm 

androdion wrote:
I know I've heard Dolorian before, but I can't for the life of me remind myself of what/how they sound. That's usually a bad sign for the band in question, he.

Well, I define Dolorian as Funeral/Black Doom Metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:17 pm 

Yeah, I see that they're placed in the same boat as Arcana Coelestia. That one I've heard before when I was exploring the funeral doom/black turf, which really isn't one of my favourite places. :p

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 pm 

Saw you guys mention Ataraxie before and felt the need to pimp them. Great fucking band. Only the first is really death/doom, but Anhédonie has some HUGE melodies mingled with the incredible slow pace, and the one they released this year is massive too (even has a slight black metal influence, but none of those black/doom bollocks)

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 am 

Hello! new to the forum , have used EM for a long time searching bands , did not check the forum to this point , I´m going to read this topic from start to finish and check all the great recommendations for great death / doom :)

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

Anyone know of a funeral doom band that mixes darkwave/neofolk elements into their sound?? A good one at least???

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:00 pm 

If you like Ataraxie make sure to check out the Project X compilation. On the first CD they rerecorded their first demo and it's pretty good. It might be their best material actually.

On another note, I really like this new Revelations of Rain CD. I definitely recommend it to anyone look for a good doom/death CD from this year.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 pm 

I wish Katatonia's For Funerals to Come was an actual full length album. The two actual songs on it are absolutely fantastic - majestic, gloomy and just got that mysterious early Katatonia vibe that was absolutely untouchable back in the 90's. Great EP.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:

I know the feeling

Hyponic's second album might be your best bet, they're much better than a lot of more well-known funeral doom bands imo. I hope they do something new soon.

Spoiler: show

Urna seemed like an Esoteric clone from what little I've heard of them. I didn't think they merited further investigation, personally...

Woebegone Obscured are at least trying (I'm hearing this right now for the first time now)

Spoiler: show

Yayattasa wrote:

I guess dISEMBOWELMENT themselves are too obvious to mention, but there's that too of course.

Yayattasa wrote:
androdion wrote:

Well, I define Dolorian as Funeral/Black Doom Metal.

The first album has a lot of black metal influence on it (and isn't that great), the newer stuff is vaguely like a quieter Esoteric.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next