Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:46 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So here's a sort of complicated audio question for you audiophile nerds out there:

I just got my hands on a pair of 100 watt Marantz Imperial 6G speakers that were purchased new in 1974. They're beastly, heavy things and I guess are supposed to be pretty good. It's been a while since I've had a proper stereo setup, and when I did it was for music only. Since I do most of my music listening at the computer these days, I figure that it might be a good idea to set up my stereo system in my room and run my computer sound through 'em. Is this fairly easy to do? For others who've done this, how does audio from games, etc. sound coming through vintage stereo speakers instead of purpose-built PC speakers?

I don't want to say something that'll be wrong but I spent a few years as a car audio installer and can say that the ohm rating is what is important. If I'm not mistaken older home audio equipment tends to have a much higher ohm (impedance) rating than what is around today. What this basically means is you might hook it up to your amp and have it be incredibly quiet. It might say the ohm rating somewhere on the basket or back of the speaker magnet. Or look it up online.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:54 am 

8 ohms. I'm not worried about blowing speakers up (I did study electronics in college so I feel confident enough that I won't start a house fire); I just don't know the best way to go about piping audio from my PC to a proper stereo, or if I can expect to be able to use these for gaming, etc.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:00 am 

I would imagine a decent soundcard is a good place to start. I used to have a 5.1 hooked up to one of my old PCs and I had to get a new sound card to support it. Most PCs that I have seen at least have a line-out for an audio system, I believe it is usually the green plug on the back. You might need an adapter but it should go into whatever stereo head you use. Then the rest is easy. You probably know at least as much as me though so I'll bow out unless I can see something else I can chime in on. 8 ohms is pretty typical for home audio. I don't want to give you bad info, I'm far from a computer expert..
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I just don't know the best way to go about piping audio from my PC to a proper stereo, or if I can expect to be able to use these for gaming, etc.

I may have misunderstood your question but isn't it pretty straightforward? I use an AUX cable to connect my pc/laptop from the headphone port to the L&R input of the stereo. Something like this.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:21 am 

Thanksgiving, one of the truly meaningless celebrations in European context, is making a stealthy invasion of Finland. No, it does not mean much noise in the grocery stores or such yet, but I've already seen a few net and magazine articles with the general idea of "if you for some weird reason do have a thanksgiving party, here's a bunch of recipes...". In five years, it will be a kid's "fun" thing that some parents will start having, and a decade after that, it will be an assumed tradition as a "casual" company party or something. Fuck that.

I'm appalled. We don't need that here, tons of food and booze or not. Halloween made it here a decade ago as a minor party fad, we seriously do not need this to add to the awkwardness.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 am 

Yup, Finland is socially awkward enough as it is!

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 am 

I got back from a short trip to Finland recently, they're not socially awkward, they're just drunk. Italians are socially awkward you silly nimrod, they're anachronisms with all their macho-isms and sexist crap.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 am 

What's wrong with being sexy?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:03 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Yup, Finland is socially awkward enough as it is!

And overfed and sopped with alcohol. Finland is the leading Scandinavian nation whose majority population might at some conceivable point in the future become slightly chubby. I read this in Smithsonian Magazine. All the men will, in time, lose their rock-hard pectorals, their eight-pack abs (which they emerge with at birth), and their flowing, James Hetfield-meets-Cindy Crawford-like manes of luxurious blonde hair, while all the women will be stripped of their innate ability to tow barges of farm equipment with a single kayak, their waists will balloon out to 24", and their lung capacity will drop to only 2.3 times that of an average American women's beach volleyball player. :nono:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:46 am 

I went to Finland a few years ago and from what I observed they are indeed a very sexy people.

So I just bought a container of creatine (which I've never used before) off my roommate, and I was wondering what any of you who used it thought of it. I've already read up on it and stuff so I'm not asking what it does or anything like that, just what your personal experience was with it.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:03 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
So here's a sort of complicated audio question for you audiophile nerds out there:

I just got my hands on a pair of 100 watt Marantz Imperial 6G speakers that were purchased new in 1974. They're beastly, heavy things and I guess are supposed to be pretty good. It's been a while since I've had a proper stereo setup, and when I did it was for music only. Since I do most of my music listening at the computer these days, I figure that it might be a good idea to set up my stereo system in my room and run my computer sound through 'em. Is this fairly easy to do? For others who've done this, how does audio from games, etc. sound coming through vintage stereo speakers instead of purpose-built PC speakers?

I'd set up a switch so it's easier to switch from either. Getting the best of both worlds.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

It'll likely be warmer and bassier. :P One of the most apparent things will be that a lot of games don't really have a full sound in the first place, not like an album would. The coloration of sound really depends on the speakers, and what you're listening to. You won't be able to get away with super-low-volume like you would on a PC though!

For setup, you could use a stereo 1/8" to stereo RCA cable to connect to your receiver/amplifier if you have an integrated sound card, but ideally you don't have an integrated sound card. Ideally, run audio through whatever recording interface you use to the receiver.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:24 pm 

That's probably the way to do it. Originally I was envisioning a per-program audio output (which is apparently an actual option) so that vidya games would get sent to my PC speakers and music to the stereo, but then I realized that I literally never do two things with their own audio at the same time anyway so a switch is probably way easier than fuckin' with all that. shouvince, that's obviously the easy way out, I was just looking for more complexity for audio perfection!

And yeah Napero, do what you can to stop Thanksgiving from making headway there. It's basically our only purely feasting-oriented holiday and all of the traditional Thanksgiving fare is meant to be uniquely American food (pumpkin pie, apple pie, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato caserole, mashed potatoes, etc.) but the fact of the matter is that most of it really isn't anything to write home about anyway. I'm sure traditional European feast day fare is at least as tasty and interesting already.

Zodi, that sounds like a good idea.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:52 pm 

Sorry, Napero. First it was missionaries, now this. What they probably don't mention in these shy recipe articles is the dining culture that comes along with the food. Instead of the collected gluttons drunkenly gushing about how thankful they are for all the meaningfulness, which would make sense, the worst blight to come to your country will be the obligatory thousand yard stares into the center of the table while no one talks and the television competes with a maudlin Christmas carol CD, the social doldrums stirred by occasional forced sighs and almost embarrassed glances around the table to anyone who breaks their moribund reverie, mistaking movement for a hope of conversation. Condolences.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 pm 

Don't forget the main theme of Thanksgiving, retail sales!! That would be the only reason I could imagine the holiday actually jumping the ocean. Just think Napero soon you'll have a brand new holiday to enjoy plus all the stores marketing and competing to get your money. The thrill of taking people away from their families so they can go open Target, Walmart, and the like at 8pm on the holiday itself plus the ensuing madness and sometimes outright fighting between parents to get toys for their children.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:37 pm 

Nothing says thankfulness like a frenzied melee of consumerism!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:51 pm 

Napero is just trying to mask his secret longing to be an American, it's the only explanation to his kneejerk reactions to any sign of American cultural export creeping its way into his backyard. Fuckin pinko.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What's wrong with being sexy?

Yes. Yes is the only proper response to that line of questioning.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm 

So I went to the library to get an early start on one of my take home finals, got bored and ended up writing a review instead. Fuck.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I went to Finland a few years ago and from what I observed they are indeed a very sexy people.

So I just bought a container of creatine (which I've never used before) off my roommate, and I was wondering what any of you who used it thought of it. I've already read up on it and stuff so I'm not asking what it does or anything like that, just what your personal experience was with it.

I bought a few containers of cretin and it made me the man I am today.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

I'm using Starbucks' free wifi. I hope some asshole isn't watching my computer and retrieving information. I wonder how much I realistically should worry about this and if there is any way to block access to my computer from public wifis.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 pm 

I'd say realistically, most people wouldn't bother trying to "hack" your computer, because most people don't have anything of much use on it. Just don't do online banking and shopping on public wifi.

Man, Retaliation by Carnivore has some of the coolest album art I've ever seen.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

I have this setup - listening to a bandcamp stream right now actually.

It's all about your amplifier - you need to have enough inputs. Ideally you'll have a phono channel, a cd channel, a tape channel and an Aux channel. Just run a lead out of your PC into the aux channel and you should be golden. I have an external soundcard (M-box 2 for pro-tools), so it's using the computers native DAC instead, and it sounds fine.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:31 pm 

Cool deal. I was talking with Zodijackyl earlier and my USB recording interface actually has 1/4" mono L/R outs, so I'm going to leave my PC speakers hooked up to my regular soundcard for gaming, then use the recording interface as my soundcard (with 1/4" -> RCA adapter cables) into the receiver for music.

I'll probably have to recap the speakers though, as they're ancient.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:57 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
purchased new in 1974.

I'll probably have to recap the speakers though, as they're ancient.

1974 is NOT ancient thank you very much :annoyed: :tongue:

My collection

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:00 am 

It is for people who were born in say 1987 :-P

Azmodes wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 am 

Damn kids...

My collection

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:05 am 

Speaking of, I had a milestone night last night. It was the first time in my life I wasn't carded when ordering beer at a restaurant. Made me feel a bit old and kind of sad actually. :(

Azmodes wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 am 

:roll:

The novelty of that wears off after another ten years...

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 am 

Crushed, would it help if I said that was a typo and the speakers were purchased in 1947?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 am 

Perhaps...

Now that would be impressive for a set of speakers :grin:

My collection

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
:roll:

The novelty of that wears off after another ten years...

Well I guess I had better bask in the glory while I still have the chance then huh.

Azmodes wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:23 am 

Absolutely. Now you can laugh with scorn and derision when they attempt to card you from here on.

My collection

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:31 am 

Sad fact, I had to look up derision...

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:51 am 

I've only been carded once when I was in a bar despite my making it known that I do not drink and had zero plans to order beer that night. They booted me anyway. Not only that, but it's a bar I frequently go to in this area and the waitress I usually end up getting there (an old friend of mine from when I was really little) knows that I'm not a drinker. I went on a Friday though and I had gone in when the doorman wasn't there for whatever reason, so he saw me sitting down at one of the tables, carded me, and then booted me in a rather overzealous fashion.

At least it's a good reminder to only go in on Sundays when both business is slow and that particular doorman isn't there. Aside from that one incident though, the place is still good enough. It's not a hole in the wall and the food is good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:50 am 

That's because at under 21 you're considered a liability. It doesn't matter if you plan on drinking or not, as far as the bar is concerned you're just an underage drinking case waiting to happen.

Azmodes wrote:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:26 pm 

Woke up to an email from google saying that they had prevented someone from trying to access my google account in China so I had to change my password. I hope nothing was accessed but maybe I'll try to contact them just in case.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:28 pm 

Oh and congratulation to Tony Iommi for receiving an honorary doctorate. :)

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 pm 

Fleshgod Apastaclypse

That is some expensive ass pasta.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:19 pm 

Wow, that's one of the lamest things I've seen in recent memory.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 518  Next