Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 am 

NARAKU666 wrote:
As a Dismember dick-rider to see Matti with Bloodbath would be the second coolest thing ever (the first, of course, Dismember reforming)

Oh man, everytime I read something about Dismember and how much they are missed, I can't help remembering how incredibly awesome their last 2 albums were (especially The God That Never Was which is a complete beast!!)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:01 am 

The God That Never Was is one of the greatest death metal albums of the 21st century. Which reminds me, I really must get it on vinyl one of these days.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:42 am 

Time out... Dismember broke up?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:51 am 

yes, in October 2011, still hoping for a comeback again in 2014, lots of bands seems to have a hiatus of only a couple of years these days...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 pm 

Nah we can expect a Dagger album instead tho !

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:48 pm 

Let's get this thread back on track!

I think Katatonia are done touring for the year, so does this mean Bloodbath will begin recording?

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:17 pm 

I hope Matti Karki has nothing to do with the band. Dismember sort of withered away but they never descended to the level of Bloodbath.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Fortunately yes. They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

"You make it easy."

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:

Fortunately yes. They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

Did you listen to their last four albums?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:22 am 

Unfortunately. With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

"You make it easy."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

The Lions Den wrote:
With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

:snipe:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 pm 

I would love Matti Karki to join this too, but I'm skeptical. He always seemed to be a very "detached" kind of guy...he straight up said in an interview once, that he did not listen to any new albums for the entirety of 2007 and only to his "old Iron Maiden and Autopsy records". After reading some interviews, it is harder for me to imagine him being friends with members of Katatonia or Opeth or whatever. But anything could happen. Personally he would be my person of choice...and considering he hasn't done much since Dismember broke up, except that Murder Squad reunion show, I'm sure he's available.

I mean, he's easily the best of the famous Swedish death vocalists. Johnny Hedlund is good, but his black metal growls are very annoying. Ola Lindgren is very good too, but a bit monotonous these days (none of the disgusting zombie wails that the old guy used to do). And L.G.'s voice sounds about as good as he looks these days (like a walking corpse).

I just pray it's not Martin van Drunen. I used to worship the guy, but after hearing the latest Hail of Bullets, I can't help but think he sounds like the "awkward teenager" from The Simpsons doing death metal vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqusIsObeo

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:

That album was so good! I'm always surprised to hear fans rip that album and favor mediocrity like Ironcrosses and The God.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:51 am 

true_death wrote:
I would love Matti Karki to join this too, but I'm skeptical. He always seemed to be a very "detached" kind of guy...he straight up said in an interview once, that he did not listen to any new albums for the entirety of 2007 and only to his "old Iron Maiden and Autopsy records". After reading some interviews, it is harder for me to imagine him being friends with members of Katatonia or Opeth or whatever. But anything could happen. Personally he would be my person of choice...and considering he hasn't done much since Dismember broke up, except that Murder Squad reunion show, I'm sure he's available.

I mean, he's easily the best of the famous Swedish death vocalists. Johnny Hedlund is good, but his black metal growls are very annoying. Ola Lindgren is very good too, but a bit monotonous these days (none of the disgusting zombie wails that the old guy used to do). And L.G.'s voice sounds about as good as he looks these days (like a walking corpse).

I just pray it's not Martin van Drunen. I used to worship the guy, but after hearing the latest Hail of Bullets, I can't help but think he sounds like the "awkward teenager" from The Simpsons doing death metal vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqusIsObeo

Why are are all so convinced it has to be someone from Scandinavia (or the Netherlands in van Drunen's case)? There are plenty of classic death metal singers from other places. Shit, maybe it's Chris Reifert. Or maybe it's somebody who's less obvious.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 am 

androdion wrote:
The Lions Den wrote:
They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

The Lions Den wrote:
With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

:snipe:

:-D

As for 'Death Metal' I intended include it in the first high quality Dismember era.

"You make it easy."

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 am 

That's good news, I guess, as long as they get their sense of humor back. Resurrection and Nightmares were great albums. The trouble came when they took themselves too seriously on Mastery.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:42 pm 

I just read this (old) interview with Blakkheim:

Quote:
CR: Did you ever think of asking another death metal trade mark singer to join Bloodbath, like for example Matti Kärki?

Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström: In all respect, Matti Kärki is a great brutal singer and I couldn’t imagine Dismember without his voice, but he wouldn’t make it in Bloodbath; he got a style that doesn’t suit our trademark. We need someone with an extremely articulate, clear voice and also a swift tongue beside the brutality and aggression. For example, not many death metal vocalists could pull off “Bastard son of God” to the full degree of what’s expected, it would probably be easier for a rapper to nail it, see what I mean? You gotta to have that articulate fast shit going and not many can growl his way through it remaining top dog. The ineffable king of this style is David Vincent and he’s been a big, if not the biggest influence on our previous singers.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:29 am 

true_death wrote:
I just read this (old) interview with Blakkheim:

Quote:
CR: Did you ever think of asking another death metal trade mark singer to join Bloodbath, like for example Matti Kärki?

Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström: In all respect, Matti Kärki is a great brutal singer and I couldn’t imagine Dismember without his voice, but he wouldn’t make it in Bloodbath; he got a style that doesn’t suit our trademark. We need someone with an extremely articulate, clear voice and also a swift tongue beside the brutality and aggression. For example, not many death metal vocalists could pull off “Bastard son of God” to the full degree of what’s expected, it would probably be easier for a rapper to nail it, see what I mean? You gotta to have that articulate fast shit going and not many can growl his way through it remaining top dog. The ineffable king of this style is David Vincent and he’s been a big, if not the biggest influence on our previous singers.

Totally agree with Blakkeim. A David Vincent's style vocalist fit on Bloodbath more than Karki style, who is perfect for Dismember or Murder Squad.

Terrorizer's Anthony "Wolf" Rezhawk is an exact example of vocalist Bloodbath need.

"You make it easy."

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:12 am 

I hadn't seen that interview, but I take his meaning entirely. That pseudo-chorus part of Bastard Son of God sends shivers down my spine, and it requires clear enunciation for best effect. Akerfeldt nailed it live.

Quote:
The sky embedded in the death of a nova
Effigy is seen in a second of light
No voice in the crack of his mouth
Bastard son of god

Can't see it working with, say, Corpsegrinder's near-incomprehensible sloppy brutality.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am 

Spoiler: show
The Lions Den wrote:
Unfortunately. With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

What the fuck is WIC?? Where Ironcrosses Cuddle?

Saying that Dismember haven't put out a decent album since Death Metal is just nonsense. The God That Never Was, the Self Titled and Where Ironcrosses Grow all rip start to the finish. In fact ending their career with songs like the Hills Have Eyes, Dark Depths, and Tides of Blood is one hell of a way to go out.

You sir are full of shit.

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bickering

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:51 am 

Spoiler: show
Delta_Wing wrote:
You sir are full of shit.

and so is you.

"You make it easy."

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bickering

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 pm 

Get Pete back, he already destroyed the competence on NMF. No other can deliver a chorus like Eaten or the demonic high shrieks like in Soul Evisceration or Year of the Cadaver Race.

Well, there's one who could make it: Michael Nicklasson. His vocals on Luciferion were incredible: both the growls and the shrieks were brutal yet very articulate. His growls were also kinda similar to early Dave Vincent with a early Benton feel.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am 

ENKC wrote:
Can't see it working with, say, Corpsegrinder's near-incomprehensible sloppy brutality.

What? Corpsegrinder is easily one of the most precise vocalists in all of death metal.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:35 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Get Pete back, he already destroyed the competence on NMF. No other can deliver a chorus like Eaten or the demonic high shrieks like in Soul Evisceration or Year of the Cadaver Race.

Well, there's one who could make it: Michael Nicklasson. His vocals on Luciferion were incredible: both the growls and the shrieks were brutal yet very articulate. His growls were also kinda similar to early Dave Vincent with a early Benton feel.

Okay what holy shit mind = blown. The bassist of Dark Tranquillity was the vocalist in a '90s death metal band that I didn't know about, and apparently he's amazing? brb

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 am 

true_death wrote:
ENKC wrote:

What? Corpsegrinder is easily one of the most precise vocalists in all of death metal.

On record, sure. But not on any of the live recordings I've seen or heard - and I own several. On the faster songs he's basically growling a loose approximation of the lyrics.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 pm 

Rogga Johansson

High five anyone?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am 

An update.

The unifying factor in all those events is that they happened in 1971, so that means the new vocalist was also born that year.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 am 

Jörgen Sandström? He even played on Entombed. Just look the profile pic of the band.

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 am 

Matti is a year later. Only person I can see from googling is Erik Rutan?

^^^ to the above post: Jörgen Sandström is a possibility, he's also a Swede and been in the scene for a long time.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am 

I'm guessing it's not Attila, Fenriz or Randy Blythe. Beyond that, I've got nothing.

Oh, and here's an article.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/02/2 ... -vocalist/

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:12 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Jörgen Sandström? He even played on Entombed. Just look the profile pic of the band.

He would be a perfect fit.
I mean, the Death Breath vox he did are insane!

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 pm 

Didnt they say it was someone who'd been out of the game for a while? i dont think he has.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:32 pm 

For a moment I thought it was Nicke Andersson, then i noticed he's from 1972 not 1971, way to get my hopes up :D

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm 

Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:57 pm 

Helvede wrote:

Could be him. He's an old school player as well, having sung and played guitar on Interment demos and such.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:

They released that Left Hand Path tribute shirt around August, and a Leprosy tribute shirt a while before that - so I don't think the profile pic has anything to do with the new vocalist.

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 am 

My vote goes to Jörgen Sandström.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 am 

Hmmm sounds interesting

Last edited by satanscurse on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:48 am 

Helvede wrote:

Hope not, his attitude/vocals don't fit the need for Bloodbath.

Sandstrom or even LG do.

"You make it easy."

kiekan66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 pm 

Helvede wrote:

Didn't the band say the vocalist was someone who has been 'out of the game for a while'? Jansson has been pretty consistently active.

The Lions Den wrote:
Helvede wrote:

Hope not, his attitude/vocals don't fit the need for Bloodbath.

Sandstrom or even LG do.

How do you figure? From the interview excerpt that true_death posted, I'd say he fits pretty well for what Bloodbath is going for.
But we do exist in a million ways."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next