Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:35 pm 

Are there any bm bands with virtuous solos? Not just in one song, but in most of them?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm 

Not really pure BM (it's got prominent viking/folk elements) but SIG:AR:TYR has a lot of shreddy virtuoso solos.

Solo is at 5:20 in this one:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm 

So, I love the music of this band but I don't want to be associated with the lyrics. Back in the days I didn't care. Can anyone recommend something in the vein of this?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:40 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don't know if Calvarium is too savage to be considered similar to that Sargeist song

I feel Ilwhyan's quote applies to a lot of the recs. Some are too aggressive and some are too simple/lifeless. There's a few familiar names I'm happy to revisit (big Prevalent Resistance fan), and some new good ones I never heard (Vitsaus and Baptism are quite good!). Yet none of these really come off strongly similar to that Sargeist track which is enchanting, catchy, momentous, raw (this production seperates it from a lot of the recs I'm hearing), tangible, and spirited. That said, it seems there's a lot to hear between Baptism and Goatmoon (who i'll give less of a leash to due to the whole NS thing).

Thanks for all the suggestions, been fun to pick through them. Satanic Warmaster, Chelmno and Vitsaus seem to be the closest, yet not quite there.

EDIT: Warwulf is probably the closest thing I can think of to that Sargeist track.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by FleshMonolith on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:11 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Are there any bm bands with virtuous solos? Not just in one song, but in most of them?

You probably already know this band and album but I'll post it just in case you don't. This album is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time and has some really awesome solos throughout.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Not really pure BM (it's got prominent viking/folk elements) but SIG:AR:TYR has a lot of shreddy virtuoso solos.

Sounds interesting. Gonna look upon that.

Roc wrote:
You probably already know this band and album but I'll post it just in case you don't. This album is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time and has some really awesome solos throughout.

I already knew, but only heard their more recent stuff, the ones w/o the harsh vocals. Might as well try this album

Thank you for the suggestions

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 am 

Karlabos wrote:
I already knew, but only heard their more recent stuff, the ones w/o the harsh vocals. Might as well try this album

Thank you for the suggestions

No problem. Give it a shot, you might like it.

execut4ble
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 am 

Hello,

I'm looking for songs that have long, symphonic intros after which guitars crash into playing.

Something like Mork Gryning's Dagon and Journey songs or Limbonic Art's Venomous Kiss of Profane Grace.

Thanks!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 pm 

Karlabos wrote:

Plaga's new album has long awesome solos on every track. Dodsferd uses a lot of solos throughout all albums, most of which are very good. Urgehal had some pretty good solos, but not on every song. I know there's more, but I need to think about it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
EDIT: Warwulf is probably the closest thing I can think of to that Sargeist track.

Yes Warwulf is pretty good, but also apparently NS although I would never know it if someone didn't tell me. His first actual "album" came out recently it wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be, but still pretty great raw black metal if you can overlook some things.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 am 

Jesus fucking christ, I used to come to this topic once or twice a month and losing a whole night listening to amazing music.

Somehow, I forgot about it, and here I am, one year later (or so), and there it is, 30+ pages of new stuff. Suddenly I might have gotten a flu and won't go to work for a week *sigh*.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm 

I remember first getting into black metal around 97-98, and the only two sources I really had were anus.com and the Century Black subsection of CenturyMedia.com. Even those two meager sites seemed like entire universes I'd never have the time to fully explore. Now, between youtube, distros, and forums, I've had to acclimate myself to having my head explode on a daily basis. On the plus side, I've found plenty of excellent background music for sweeping up skull fragments.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm 

Would definitely second SIG:AR:TYR. The sophomore album is particularly good. Like he said, not straight up black metal, but still worthwhile.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:42 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:

Spoiler: show

Yes Warwulf is pretty good, but also apparently NS although I would never know it if someone didn't tell me. His first actual "album" came out recently it wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be, but still pretty great raw black metal if you can overlook some things.

Yeah, shame it's NS, but I really listen to that demo a lot. I usually try to deny myself NS bands (or other bands I find moral conflicts with) in fear that I'll grow to really like them; so might not work too hard to hear that album. But I really dig that blown out highly melodic style, even better when things like the bass slip through or if the drums are mixed just right (a feat Horna seems to do well).

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:

I may be a bit late on this, but do you know ofermod's mysterion tes anomias? I've never seen anything getting closer to DMDS. and I'm speaking of the vibe or the aura, not just some copycat emulation of attila's vocals. I agree with you on that frost album.

their 1998 single was rereleased with two more songs by NED, here you have the first two songs on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0A4amQ8rw

Interesting, thanks for backtracking and coming up with this. I immediately get what you're saying about this and DMDS. The quality's a bit staticy and washy- is that youtube or the actual demo? Digging this, I'll have to pursue some of their stuff.

I thought of you and your request again, perhaps you might dig this if you don't know it yet:

ascension - consolamentum

[youtube]http://youtu.be/faBiuK0t4yw[/youtube]

it's so much better than their demo and EP (which are not bad in any way, but this is miles ahead imo)
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am 

How do you folks feel about this Belgian band? I love it:

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:09 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:

I thought of you and your request again, perhaps you might dig this if you don't know it yet:

ascension - consolamentum

[youtube]http://youtu.be/faBiuK0t4yw[/youtube]

it's so much better than their demo and EP (which are not bad in any way, but this is miles ahead imo)

I see exactly what you're talking about. If it weren't for the relatively clean Waitan-esque production this would nearly be ideal. Thanks a lot, I'm digging this (do wish it was a bit dirtier). No idea how a band that's summed up as DsO+Katharsis flew under my radar for so long. Reminds me a bit of Anaal Nathrakh too.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm 

I have to thank vengefulgoat for mentioning Sühnopfer a couple pages back. This album rules and even more impressive it's a 1 man band with incredible drumming skills :bow:

Also that Ghremdrakk song is pretty interesting, would like to hear more stuff from them.
Has anyone listened to this band's demo? not to shabby:

Last edited by Sick6Six on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackjss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm 

Could anyone recommend black metal bands for me?
Some of my most spun albums are..

Redeskration - Infernal War
Serpents Unleashed - Skeletonwitch
Restless and Dead - Witchery

I know Skeletonwitch and Witchery aren't "pure" black metal. Please don't crusifuck me.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 am 

Jackjss wrote:
Could anyone recommend black metal bands for me?
Some of my most spun albums are..

Redeskration - Infernal War
Serpents Unleashed - Skeletonwitch
Restless and Dead - Witchery

I know Skeletonwitch and Witchery aren't "pure" black metal. Please don't crusifuck me.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I have to thank vengefulgoat for mentioning Sühnopfer a couple pages back. This album rules and even more impressive it's a 1 man band with incredible drumming skills :bow:

Also that Ghremdrakk song is pretty interesting, would like to hear more stuff from them.
Has anyone listened to this band's demo? not to shabby:

You can find more Ghremdrakk on youtube :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 pm 

That Sielunvihollinen is interesting. Very heavy metal based stuff, especially that song. Not my favourite by a margin, but it was worth listening to a couple of times. I was expecting something much darker and rawer.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:43 pm 

Is there any depressive suicidal black metal with female harsh vocals?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:42 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Is there any depressive suicidal black metal with female harsh vocals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqlL4xK4C64

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 am 

Anguished. The vocals shouldn't leave any question as to what the singer's gender is. The music isn't outright dsbm, though, and it isn't really any good either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That Sielunvihollinen is interesting. Very heavy metal based stuff, especially that song. Not my favourite by a margin, but it was worth listening to a couple of times. I was expecting something much darker and rawer.

Yeah, I find it fairly enjoyable for a demo and something a bit different. Similarly I'm surprised at how much I like that new Zemial - Nykta It sounds a lot like an early Slayer mixed with black metal and some other unique elements. I've been trying to stray from my typical listening patterns lately to find some new and interesting stuff.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm 

That's quite healthy once in a while. It allows you to have more appreciation for your old favourites, as well as find something new and exciting to listen to.

Especially the main riff of Varoituslaukaus sounds like some kind of typical Finnish rock/metal. It even sounds like something a band like Klamydia would've written.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Stumbled across this band a while ago and ended up on their label's website. It's full of "manifestos" about how the world needs to kill off gay people. Fuck that, not even going to listen to a band even partially associated with shit like that.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm 

Hammer of Hate? I don't see anything like that on their website.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Stumbled across this band a while ago and ended up on their label's website. It's full of "manifestos" about how the world needs to kill off gay people. Fuck that, not even going to listen to a band even partially associated with shit like that.

Quite despicable. Unfortunately, dabbling in black metal often results in discoveries like that. The genre seems to act as a refuge to particularly many deeply disturbed individuals. The stereotypes of metalheads being belligerent sociopaths seems to be more true with black metal musicians than many metalheads seem to think.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 am 

FleshMonolith, if you're still reading this, check out Seigneur Voland. It should fit your request for stuff similar to the Sargeist song. I couldn't recall this band, though I remembered that there was some French band that would fit your request, and it wasn't Vociferian or Insane Vesper.

I don't know if Sarkrista was mentioned. The Acheronian Worship should fit the bill nicely.

mrichardson7223
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm 

I've been starting to get into black metal more and I'm enjoying it a lot. One of the main things I've come across however is the difference between Norwegian and Swedish black metal.

I've read that Norwegian black metal is more in your face and chaotic, while Swedish tends to be more technical and melodic. If so, could someone recommend some good Swedish black metal, similar to Dissection?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 pm 

mrichardson7223 wrote:
I've been starting to get into black metal more and I'm enjoying it a lot. One of the main things I've come across however is the difference between Norwegian and Swedish black metal.

I've read that Norwegian black metal is more in your face and chaotic, while Swedish tends to be more technical and melodic. If so, could someone recommend some good Swedish black metal, similar to Dissection?

Try the debut albums by Sacramentum, Mork Gryning, Naglfar, Sorhin (maybe), Azure (a bit), Midvinter (a bit), Dawn and Vinterland. Should keep you occupied for a while. ;)

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 pm 

Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun, for sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmtpraIMkvc

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

chronolith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:23 pm 

looking for slow to mid paced evil sounding black metal with clean viking type vocals like this song.http://youtu.be/9XnnJjqjp5I

http://www.myspace.com/isenblast

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm 

chronolith wrote:
looking for slow to mid paced evil sounding black metal with clean viking type vocals like this song.http://youtu.be/9XnnJjqjp5I

Dare I assume you are familiar with Isengard? This song is similar to the one you posted- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEjb5t29Pc

Also, check out Isvind's song "Poltergeist"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBobXd-E7cY

You might like Sortsind's song "More Days"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVkkmdAI5A

Of course many people here will recommend Urfaust, but it's too obvious a name to drop.

chronolith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 pm 

yes ive heard isengard. haven't heard Urfaust though. also im all for raw recordings, but looking for a cleaner sound for a change

http://www.myspace.com/isenblast

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08 pm 

Malthus wrote:
chronolith wrote:

Dare I assume you are familiar with Isengard? This song is similar to the one you posted- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEjb5t29Pc

Also, check out Isvind's song "Poltergeist"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBobXd-E7cY

You might like Sortsind's song "More Days"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVkkmdAI5A

Of course many people here will recommend Urfaust, but it's too obvious a name to drop.

Who cares if it's too obvious? There aren't many better black metal bands out there. They don't have viking vocals, though.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:09 am 

I'm currently listening do Odraedir- The Rise of Cernnunos and noticed they utilize a dual vocal attack for a certain part. The lead does the highs and the backup is in a lower register, very similar to Exhumed or Ghoul. This is the first time I am hearing it in a black metal setting and it sounds great! Anyone know any pagan, folk, or just straight up black metal that utilize the dual vocal attack (one high/one low like those mentioned please) as well? Much appreciated.

1:06 - 1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMP7DuKEQo

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am 

Is there anyone here that could perhaps recommend me something comparable to the early Aeternus albums, namely Beyond The Wandering Moon and ... And So The Night Became? I have always found these particular recordings to be rather unique in that the atmosphere and feel is totally black metal whilst the guitars are pretty darn heavy without sounding like death metal guitars. Any insight would be appreciated!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 231  Next