Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I just bought kalmah's new album yesterday and I am enjoying the fuck out of it.

Me too! Picked it up this week and can't stop listening to it, definitely their best in 10 years. Makes me wonder if it's worth picking up the new CoB which everyone is saying the same thing about...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:09 pm 

The new Plaga album is one of my surprise favorites of the year for sure. I didn't even know this band existed until a couple months ago and I'm totally addicted to their short discography. Every one of their songs has epic solos that match their music perfectly, a very rare thing to find in black metal. They have great slow-fast progression and atmosphere as well.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 pm 

I been enjoying a lot the new Man Must Die, it is full of meaty riffs and pretty catchy vocal lines as usual, l love it.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

EmperorsWarRoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:32 am 

Yep. Got some new stuff going on with another former member of FC. For fans of classic prog/psychedelic rock - Reply to Doommetalalchemist

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 am 

EmperorsWarRoom wrote:
Yep. Got some new stuff going on with another former member of FC. For fans of classic prog/psychedelic rock - Reply to Doommetalalchemist

Sounds interesting, keep us posted!

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:50 am 

Some of my pics of this year so far:

-Warbringer: IV Empires Collapse
Another great effort by one of the best bands of the new wave of Thrash Metal, in my humble opinion. It might be a bit "experimental" and even melodic at some points, but its still mantains their sound and its quality Thrash, anyway. Bands do evolve and they are doing it right. But is not as consistent as their previous efforts (War Without End and Worlds Torn Asunder are my faves) but its still a good record. Hunter-Seeker is a great song (it somehows reminds of Jackal, maybe its the chorus).

-Warbeast: Destroy
I didnt liked it as much as Krush the Enemy (wich is one of my fav albums of the new Thrash) but its still a pretty good effort. Somehow i find it heavier but less catchy, and i liked the riffs from the first record a bit more. Im still obiously interested to listen to what will they come after this, hope they get even better.

-Trials: In the Shadow of Swords
This is a new discovery for me, thanks to T h a n a t o s in the Thrash Metal help thread. While they are labeled as Thrash/Groove and Metalcore, i find this effort to be mostly Groove/Thrash, maybe a bit touches of Metalcore, here and there, but mainly the clean choruses, i dont hear that much influence of Metalcore in their guitas, for example. Its mostly some good modern Thrash that is heavy yet catchy enough (those chorus can be pretty catchy).

-Black Sabbath: 13
Yeah i think this was solid. It was a victim of hype, and while it gets some time to get into, once you do its enjoyable. God is Dead? is a good song, maybe not an instant classic as Children of the Grave or War Pigs, but overall this album is much better than anyhting under the name of Black Sabbath after Mob Rules, just with the exception of Dehumanizer (i dont consider The Devil you Know cus off the different name of the band).

-Metal Church: Generation Nothing
This is getting some mixex reviews, sadly, but i liked it. It reminds me of the first two albums specially songs like Scream (my favourite). Its a bit inconsistent, and some songs dont do much for me, but most of them are good. I think that it has too much of mid tempo and slow songs, but Metal Church where always known for mixing Heavy Metal with Thrash and being melodic, i would like a couple of songs in the vein of Scream a bit more. Still a good record and worthwhile of being part of The Curch.

-Impalers: Power Behind the Throne
This is a new band that people should take notice to. Quality old school and brutal Thrash Metal influenced by the German guard, some Bay Area, Motorhead and a bit of a blackened touch courtesy of the Venom influence, of course. Already one of my fav bands of modern Thrash.

-Children of Bodom: Halo of Blood
After the surprisingly high notes this album is receiving i had to check it out. So mostly everything that people say in the reviews is right, this album is not Hatebreeder, Hate Crew (my two personal favourites) or Follow the Reaper, but its a solid effort anyway, and much better than their last albums, tho i have to say that i enjoy Are you Dead Yet?. One could say that its a return to form.

-Avenged Sevenfold: Hail to the King
Yeah i like Avenged Sevenfold, and i think that Hail to the King is a good album. Sure, everyone have said to death how you can notice their influences a bit too much, sometimes just too much (This Means War) but whatever, its still good, and bands like say, Led Zeppelin, can get away with worse (dont get me wrong, Avenged Sevenfold is just a mere shadow of my favourite band of all time). The record is even more melodic and commercial if that was possible, i think that its a nice blend of their influences, songs like Doing Time reminds me of Guns n Roses while others (like the aforementioned This Mean Wars) remind me of Metallica, others to Megadeth (Countdown to Excinction), and so on. but overall the sonwgriting is solid, songs like Coming Home (wich reminds me a bit of Maiden) may be well recieved live. Some songs can be a bit boring and i think that this band are not that good at writing ballads, considering how much they like to write them, Led Zeppelin or Whitesnake they are not ( even if Dear God and So Far Away are good). Its not as good as the previous albums, but its still good and i recommend it if you like the band (most people here dont like them anyway).

BTW im just counting the days for the new Artillery album. I heard a song (Chill my Bones) and it was great, hope the album will be as good.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:33 am 

Add new Verminous to 2013 one of the best death metal albums.

After many search, finally a good new band from Sweden :hyper:

"You make it easy."

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:39 am 

Verminous was ok, not great, Bastard Priest do that sort of thing much better. Still hilarious/awesome art though.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Verminous was ok, not great, Bastard Priest do that sort of thing much better. Still hilarious/awesome art though.

I've listen to Bastard Priest, Miasmal or Bombs Of Hades but they sound too much punkish at my ears. Personally I hate that punk influence and attitude bands like mentioned have, and in sweden most new bands have.

"You make it easy."

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 am 

Verminous ain't that new. Check out the first album and the Delve stuff prior... Killer material.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Verminous was ok, not great, Bastard Priest do that sort of thing much better.

Not sure I get the comparison... Verminous plays pretty exclusively at about twice the speed of Bastard Priest with little to none of the punk/thrash influences and about 100x more blasting. I'd say Verminous takes far more influence from stuff like Repulsion and Altars of Madness than the swedes.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

EmperorsWarRoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
EmperorsWarRoom wrote:

Sounds interesting, keep us posted!

Some tracks up
Facebook.com/theorderofthesolartemple

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:59 pm 

Death/crust band Bones is releasing a new album... tomorrow (Nov 18)! :hyper:

I love these crusty death metal bands, and Bones is one of my favourite bands to combine the two. I had no idea they had a new album coming out either!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:22 pm 

I don't really find Bones very crusty at all. I feel like they've got more in common with Speedwolf than they do crust. Basically like Speedwolf + Autopsy, with an extra helping of Motorhead, or something. Great band though, and I'm sure the new album will rule!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:24 am 

I was expecting that you'd comment, as you're the one who recommended them to me in the first place :P As far as their genre goes though, I just put down what they're listed as in the archives. I'm not familiar with Speedwolf but if they're similar to Bones I'll check them out at some point.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:32 am 

Well Speedwolf have zero death metal. It's basically just dirty, aggressive speed metal with hoarse vocals and a general impression that it's trying to summon the spirit of late 80's extreme metal without really ever actually playing any. Bones give me similar vibes, though there's definitely really primordial death metal in there.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:18 am 

I wouldn't mind an entire album of that. It sounds good so far and it definitely has an Autopsy influence.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:51 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
The new Plaga album is one of my surprise favorites of the year for sure. I didn't even know this band existed until a couple months ago and I'm totally addicted to their short discography. Every one of their songs has epic solos that match their music perfectly, a very rare thing to find in black metal. They have great slow-fast progression and atmosphere as well.
Spoiler: show

Wow. This is really, really cool, it's got Mgla's sort of melodic crawl with a sound more fitting of early Peste Noire. Really great sense of groove and melody at the same time. :beer:

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
I been enjoying a lot the new Man Must Die, it is full of meaty riffs and pretty catchy vocal lines as usual, l love it.

How does it compare to their previous albums and would any of those be worth picking up, too? I'm taking the few mid/high 90% reviews that exist with a handful of salt here.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:27 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

Aye, these guys are awesome! I need to put together a 2013 list at some point pretty soon here and Plaga's effort is certainly going to be included. Also, if you're not familiar with Mgła already you should be ... he is a fine Polish black metal artist that has strong dynamics throughout his compositions and a sense of awesome riffing that just doesn't quit.

Morsay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 am 

Honestly Divine Necromancie takes a while to get into but I like the songs

Other than that the new Von album has been good

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 pm 

The New Satan's Host album I have to say is my favorite album this year so far.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
The New Satan's Host album I have to say is my favorite album this year so far.

Just listened to it on the way to work this morning. I like the idea of blackened power metal, but all the songs end up following the same patterns and his voice gets really old after a while. Really forgettable in my book.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:49 pm 

They do the same thing over and over quite a bit, but it's entertaining as fuck. I wouldn't call either Virgin Sails or By the Hands of the Devil a modern classic, but maybe they could make one soon if they keep on the up-and-up.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 am 

I was listening to the new Deicide yesterday and was fairly bored by the 4th track....so I put on another new release I got my hands on....Pro-Pain's "Final Revolution". Holy shit, did not expect this one. Just badass all the way through. I'm not even sure if PP are on this site. Whatever. The new one beats Straight to the Dome, for sure.

Deicide will have to wait a bit for a second listen...

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:01 am 

Thinking back on this past year of music the other day, I thought I would have too many to narrow down to a top 10 list. Then I froze at 15 and had to look at my CD collection to look at other 2013 releases, even though this has been my favorite year as a metal fan. Here are the records that stuck with me all year:

1. Cathedral- The Last Spire
2. Inquisition- Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
3. Deafheaven- Sunbather
4. The Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer
5. Leprous- Coal
6. KYLESA- Ultraviolet
7. Skeletonwitch- Serpents Unleashed
8. Immolation- Kingdom Of Conspiracy
9. The Ocean- Pelagial
10. Voivod- Target Earth

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 pm 

The new Protest the hero album was also really good.

wire_forest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:13 pm 

The new Clagg album 'Gather your Beasts' is great if you are into Sludge/Doom stuff. Really impressed with this bands last couple of releases to be fair, and they are sound guys as well.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:40 pm 

I've gotten to hear a lot of great new releases this year, and picking a top ten is a difficult task. Since there's still a few albums yet to be released (or that I would like to hear), here's a bunch of stuff I enjoyed without narrowing it down so much. And a detail or two about each.

Solstice - Death's Crown is Victory (Short, but very sweet. It has some flaw but so far no other release has given me the same amount of replay value this year)

Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess (What else is there to say? Breathtaking and rich, maybe not quite as catchy or easy to pick up as previous releases)

Borrowed Time - S/T (There's nothing really new here, but it's a very daring album that internalizes and reveres it's influences instead of just ripping them off. First listen or two will go down rough, but it'll start to give back in huge ways shortly after)

Darkthrone - Underground Resistance (Lots of fucking fun. A couple songs drag on too long or have really stupid vocals but otherwise this is loaded with great riffs and a great "fuck-off" attitude)

Zemial - NYKTA (The closest thing to "prog" that I liked this year. And I loved it. Cosmic dirt, galactic anger)

Procession - To Reap the Heavens Apart (Masterful epic doom with delightful vocals and very majestic music to back. My favorite bass playing of the year)

Enforcer - Death by Fire (Won't make it to a top ten list, but it's their best album by far, and distances itself from the rising-sun stupidity of bands like Skull Fist)

Eternal Champion - Last King of Pictdom (Just a demo, but these two songs are crackin' Epic metal. This band is like an old-school DnD table with instruments and I mean that in the best way possible)

Magic Circle - S/T (Very earthy doom metal with great singing and a cool, swampy sound. Perfect for Pagan Altar/Witchfinder General fans

Funeral Circle - S/T (Great epic doom album with loads of dark atmosphere, but not as good as Procession. I think their best work will be ahead of them yet)

Magister Templi - Lucifer Leviathan Logo - (Another very fun band that mines the Mercyful Fate occult stylings, but with a more Lovecraft bent and some unique vocals.

Naer Mataron - [Greek stuff] (Cool Hellenic black metal album by some pretty mean individuals. Lots of unconventional ideas and very eerie non-metal tracks. Where Zemial brought the cosmos into their new music, this album went into the dim reaches of ancient temples)

Satan - Life Sentence (Definite top-ten material. Astonishing)

Ravensire - We March Forward (not out yet, but I got an advance. Killer epic metal in the pure Omen/Ironsword tradition)

Terminus - Into Exile (Great Irish demo of blue-collar trad metal. Dry as fuck, no bells and whistles. Just songs.)

Voltax - Hiding into Flames (Mexico strikes again. Loads of vitality on this one, with snarling Udo vox and great riffs)

Cromlech - Ave Mortis (Cool Canadian epic metal debut, but they need to work on their song-writing and tell one of their singers to keep quiet)

Need to hear:
Satan's Host, Split Heaven, Argus, Fates Warning, Noctum and a few others
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

In a year where there's no new Enslaved or Borknager, Code's Augur Nox that came out yesterday is a really pleasant surprise. The new singer basically has the exact same tricks up his sleeve, but it's their proggiest work to date and there's just so much to absorb.

Full stream:http://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/augur-nox

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:48 am 

wire_forest wrote:
The new Clagg album 'Gather your Beasts' is great if you are into Sludge/Doom stuff. Really impressed with this bands last couple of releases to be fair, and they are sound guys as well.

I actually found this pretty disappointing, didn't have the same sort of post rock busting into stoner doom <i>fun</i> that the awesome last album had. This was more doomy and ended up seeming pretty flat for me.

wire_forest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:17 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
wire_forest wrote:

I actually found this pretty disappointing, didn't have the same sort of post rock busting into stoner doom <i>fun</i> that the awesome last album had. This was more doomy and ended up seeming pretty flat for me.

Fair enough.
I also prefer 'Lords of the Deep' but I had been waiting eagerly to see what they would come up with and I liked the more doomy tone as you described it. But yeah, 'Lords of the Deep' is a great album and I would recommend anyone to check that out as well.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:20 pm 

Hail Of Bullets - The Rommel Chronicles is fantastic. Undoubtedly one of my favorite death metal albums and among my top-5 this year specifically, as well. It's exactly what I wanted to get when I pre-ordered the album and I can't listen to it enough. Brilliant work.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 am 

Thanks for your post, element_man. I've heard quite a bit of that, but not all of it, and we seem to have similar taste.

p.s. I was there at Eternal Champion's debut live show, opening for Speedwolf and Manilla Road. Awesome :D they rule so hard.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:11 am 

Morsay wrote:
Honestly Divine Necromancie takes a while to get into but I like the songs

Without a doubt the worst drum sound I have heard in my entire life. And to top it off, they put it so loud in the mix that you can't properly hear the riffing which just kind of mumbles below. No thanks.

My favourites for the year so far(and I admit I still have to hear quite a few releases):

Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane
Satan - Life Sentence
Bolzer - Aura
Voivod - Target Earth
Witchcraft - Legend

Excellent albums from start to finish. I could listen to these every day throughout the year and I wouldn't get bored, especially Satan and Cultes Des Ghoules, both bands that I only discovered this year.

Honourable mentions:

Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Portal - Vexovoid
Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
Avulsed - Ritual Zombi

Only a few weaker moments on these albums that don't make me replay them every day, but magnificent, 80%+ albums nonetheless.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:20 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Witchcraft - Legend

As far as I know it was released last year.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:56 pm 

My top 5 have been settled for a while:

Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
Vreid - Welcome Farewell
Satan - Life Sentence
Inter Arma - Sky Burial
Thrawsunblat - Wanderer on the Continent of Saplings

But I clearly need to check out Cultes Des Ghoules and Bolzer as they keep coming up in this thread.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm 

I'll probably post a top 10 towards the end of the year but at this moment, I'm really digging Sarkrista's debut, the Acheronian Worship. Great finnish black metal worship and it's got a perfect balance of atmosphere and riffs. I gave a quick listen to Hell's latest album and it sounds pretty darn good too.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:53 pm 

working on year end lists for my blog as well a more specific one for cvlt nation. here's some of the stuff that's really struck me.

Full Lengths

Cultes Des Ghoules (bm/dm)
Vemod (bm)
Grave Miasma (dm)
Raspberry Bulbs (oi)
Morbosidad (bm/dm)
Horna (bm)
Iceage (postpunk)
Machetazo (dm)
Mammoth Grinder (heavy metal/thrash/hardocre? no clue what to call this really)
Ruin Lust (dm)
Ruined Families (posthardcore)
Skagos (bm)
Fell Voices (bm)

eps/splits/etc
all the Column of Heaven stuff (noise)
Bombed Out's 7" (hardcore)
Bone Sickness (dm)
war master (dm)
Water Torture/Suffering Mind (pv/grind playing sludge)
Infest 7" (recordings from No Man's Slave) (pv)
Harm's Way (hardcore)
Weregoat (bm/dm)
Wreck and Reference (industrial?)

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:29 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
working on year end lists for my blog as well a more specific one for cvlt nation. here's some of the stuff that's really struck me.

Vemod (bm)
Mammoth Grinder (heavy metal/thrash/hardocre? no clue what to call this really)
Skagos (bm)

Vemod was 2012, fyi. I never know which year to count December releases as though. I really wanted to like Mammoth Grinder but to me it just sounded like a watered-down Black Breath; same energy/style, but with less interesting riffs. Didn't know Skagos had another part to this album left. I bought A and B from their Bandcamp like a fucking year and a half ago without realizing there would be more to it, so thanks for the reminder.

What list are you making for Cvlt Nation? I write for them too, made this one last year. Not sure what I'm gonna do this year. - you can PM me

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next