Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
And I'm one of those heretics that thinks Quake 1 is better than Doom, so sue me. Amazing level design. Ditto on the expansions.

You probably are. Quake and Quake II are great but, despite being technically superior, do not match the standards set by Doom (except in multiplayer). Shooting in Doom feels more visceral and satisfying, and the visuals are superior. The sprites look way better than those primitive 3D models in Quake, and the color palette is more varied than Quake's monochrome brown. Still awesome for different reasons, but Doom is overall the better game.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

Yeah, I love how punchy Doom's weapons sound and feel. Doom's shotguns are still my favorite shotgun out of all the FPS games I've played.

Quake is still the golden standard for multiplayer FPS, though. Chess with rocket launchers. :)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I gotta give myself some incentive to get through the whole thing again.

Why...? Do you not have anything else to play?

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Sounds boring. I'd rather just retry a cursed dragon than go through the whole game every time. They spawn easily on BBI and their dragonforge rate is really high. Apparently they can even forge +0 gear at the same % chance, which I didn't know, and I might have saved money and resources. :lol:
The Ur-Dragon was a pain in the ass. Online it's just... stupid. Offline's a bit better, but still kinda boring IMO.

I had taken a few months off, so it was nice to run through the story again. But you are right, farming cursed dragons is the quicker way. I haven't tried the online Ur-Dragon, but the offline is pretty easy, and a good way to get a ton of money / go up several levels in a relatively short amount of time.

Quote:
The bishop? You mean the Papa Emeritus lookalike who summons a cursed dragon? I never struggled against him, weird. That cursed dragon scared me at first, 'cause the only time I had encountered one before then was in that courtyard with all the corrupt pawns, and he'd kick my ass so bad I had to run like hell (couldn't scratch him then). But it was a much weaker version and the fight turned out just fine.

Yup. Papa Emeritus was exactly who I thought of. The only problem I had with him was near the end of the battle. I did tons of damage to him / killed the dragon quickly enough, but going solo against him, he'd usually hit me with a spell that would one hit kill me near the end of the fight (and I didn't have any wakestones).

The cursed dragon in the courtyard, I actually got him to follow me into one of those tunnels. He'd just sit there with his head stuck in it, biting at the air while I shot his heart with arrows.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:51 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
I gotta give myself some incentive to get through the whole thing again.

Why...? Do you not have anything else to play?

Not really. This PC can barely handle Diablo II. So I'm kind of running through some of the old classics on emulator.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

InvalidPacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:57 pm 

Are you connecting to the internet with an Atari 2600?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am 

Nah, 2004 HP desktop. It is weird, it runs Unreal Tournament smooth as shit, but I try to play Counterstrike 1.6 via Steam and it literally runs at 1fps.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am 

T51b wrote:
Cant post this pic because of size but it is worth clicking on. :P
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9905 ... 124tl4.jpg

I hope we get to fight the Titan or what ever that is in the background.

and a couple more Gifs from Gaf.

Protip: Never, ever use tynipic.

Edit: Why am I quoting shit from the first page again? Guess I shouldn't drink.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm 

Some people are so fucking stupid... The Last of Us story-DLC has been announced for January, and some are bitching that they can't play it because they already sold their PS3 for a PS4.

Like... why would you that unless you're a complete moron? You sell a console with a staggering library of great games (that will still get a few more games past the PS4 launch date too, just like every single console generation jump has been) just to get the newest one, which barely has anything worthwhile yet and is probably plagued with early-gen hardware flaws? :brick: Normally I'd just point and laugh at these dumbasses for their poor decisions, but some have the nerve to bitch at the developers for releasing DLC "too late". Yeah, because a rushed, 2-hours DLC campaign (or better yet, on-disc DLC) is so much better... idiot.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Some people are so fucking stupid... The Last of Us story-DLC has been announced for January, and some are bitching that they can't play it because they already sold their PS3 for a PS4.

Like... why would you that unless you're a complete moron? You sell a console with a staggering library of great games (that will still get a few more games past the PS4 launch date too, just like every single console generation jump has been) just to get the newest one, which barely has anything worthwhile yet and is probably plagued with early-gen hardware flaws? :brick: Normally I'd just point and laugh at these dumbasses for their poor decisions, but some have the nerve to bitch at the developers for releasing DLC "too late". Yeah, because a rushed, 2-hours DLC campaign (or better yet, on-disc DLC) is so much better... idiot.

While I agree that those people are dumb(specially since the new consoles don't have retrocompatibility) I think Sony should've released a "TLOU 1080p/60fps" edition for PS4. It'd have been the launch killer app :p

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 pm 

Yeah, I really don't understand why people do that, or rush to get the newest console and complain about lack of good launch titles. My friend got a PS4 and Killzone 4 (great graphics if you ignore the constant lens flair, terrible game/gameplay) and Knack (mediocre game, puzzling jump in multiplayer in which the second player doesn't seem to be able to get any of the items or use special abilities). Just wait for a bit. I'm completely unimpressed so far, but I know within 6 months we'll be seeing some better stuff from the new generation.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
And I'm one of those heretics that thinks Quake 1 is better than Doom, so sue me. Amazing level design. Ditto on the expansions.

You probably are. Quake and Quake II are great but, despite being technically superior, do not match the standards set by Doom (except in multiplayer). Shooting in Doom feels more visceral and satisfying, and the visuals are superior. The sprites look way better than those primitive 3D models in Quake, and the color palette is more varied than Quake's monochrome brown. Still awesome for different reasons, but Doom is overall the better game.

I personally like them both equally, in visuals and gunplay as well.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:55 pm 

I haven't really been paying close attention to the new gen of consoles. Is it safe to assume that none of them are at all backwards compatible?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm 

Correct, except for the Wii U which is compatible with the Wii, if you count that as next-gen. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 pm 

Fuuuuuuuuuck that then, I've got way too many games to play anyway. I'll buy a mini PS4 when PS6 comes out.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:27 am 

Hell, I bet most of the systems sold now are the one's people are going to try to sell during christmas.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 am 

I'm going to get a Wii U myself by the end of the year, pretty stoked. I'll wait on the PS4 myself...

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am 

I'll wait years for a PS4. Still got a backlog of PS3 games... Not to mention, all my PC games (thank you Steam!).

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I haven't really been paying close attention to the new gen of consoles. Is it safe to assume that none of them are at all backwards compatible?

Nope. PCs, on the other hand, can still play games made in the 80s :D

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 pm 

Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:24 pm 

Foda500 wrote:

Really? Tell me more.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm 

Wait, neither PS4 nor Xbox One are backwards compatible? I figured Microsoft would do that, but seriously both of them? Unless the games are truly out of this world then this iteration of nextgen is terrible. :lol:

On the other hand I have never touched a PS3 in my life, so in theory I can spend the next couple years on PS3 buying cheap games and not worrying about the latest batch of crappy $80 games for a $infinity system that will probably be able to cook a steak to medium in ten minutes for six months after launch (if it even works). I've never been a PC supremacist (largely because keyboard+mouse has never felt right to me outside RTS games) but my decision last year to do a game build for my PC is looking better every day now.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

These days I play most games with a gamepad anyways. x360ce is a magical little program that makes my old Logitech controller compatible with almost everything.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Foda500 wrote:

Really? Tell me more.

In a lot of cases, you can use programs like DosBox to emulate a Dos OS for old games. At the same time, vendors like Steam and Good Old Games (the latter in particular) let you purchase and download old games packaged to run on modern systems but otherwise completely unaltered. I know GoG has the entire Ultima line and a lot of classic dungeon crawlers, and Steam has most of the Commander Keen series in one package for a couple bucks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 pm 

Gamepad use for me is entirely down to genre. For really, well, console-ish hack-'n'-slash stuff gamepads are great (I used one for Darksiders/Darksiders II), as well as fighting games, racing games, etc.

Smoking_Gnu: I guess I left out my sarcasm marks. I was just making fun of that guy for patronizingly assuming that I don't know anything about PC gaming because I asked a question about current-gen consoles.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:32 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

I hear it isn't great, but the community is here to help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=2

Thanks for that. I was having bugs and crashes all the time, but after the patch it works like a charm. And now I can play it in glorious 1920x1080 too :wink:
So far I'm finding this one to be spookier than SH3. I didn't play that much though.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:25 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Wait, neither PS4 nor Xbox One are backwards compatible? I figured Microsoft would do that, but seriously both of them? Unless the games are truly out of this world then this iteration of nextgen is terrible. :lol:

I don't get this mindset. Mind you, I'm not picking on you specifically, as I've heard it from all kinds of sources. A lot of video games are not backwards compatible. The SNES doesn't play NES games, the N64 doesn't play SNES, the Gamecube doesn't play N64, the Dreamcast doesn't play Saturn, so on and so forth. I don't see why it's an expectation that all systems will be backwards compatibility. I, for one, didn't buy my PS3 to play PS2 games, and I didn't buy my Genesis to play Master System games (even though it can). It's a nice convenience but I'm ultimately buying a system to play that system's games.

They have to either emulate the original systems or include the hardware from the original system to have backwards compatibility. Historically, the latter is what's typically done. The DS included the GBA's hardware, the Genesis had the Master System's hardware, etc.; at a certain point, it just isn't feasible to keep doing it. It just makes the systems more complex, adds on additional hardware that the new games may not want or need, and raises the cost. As for emulation, writing a software solution takes a lot of time and effort, and it's just not reasonable to think they'd have a great PS3 or 360 emulation solution at this stage. Hell, the 360 didn't even support the original Xbox very well.

I don't think it should be considered a ding against next gen systems because they don't play current gen games. I feel that should be an added convenience / bonus, not a required feature. And who knows, maybe in time, they'll introduce PS1 / PS2 emulators, etc.

For that matter, I don't even think this gen will be particularly different from the previous gen. I've had a few days with the PS4 now and it's a nicely designed system with some cool features. Obviously, it'll take time for the games to ramp up, but that's pretty much how it's always been.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm 

In the grand scheme of things, backwards compatibility certainly isn't a given. However, the last generation of consoles was uniformly backward compatible in some way or another; 360 could play a fairly large number of Xbox games and later more stuff was added to XBLA from older consoles, Wii was fully backward compatible with Gamecube and added lots of older games to the virtual console, PS3 was initially fully backward compatible then had this feature slowly removed with each new iteration of the console.

So basically the previous generation sort of cemented backward compatibility as a common feature in consoles, so suddenly having the two biggest kids on the block change their minds about it (well, not so sudden for Sony I guess) seems like a step backward at this point.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:08 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, backwards compatibility certainly isn't a given. However, the last generation of consoles was uniformly backward compatible in some way or another; 360 could play a fairly large number of Xbox games and later more stuff was added to XBLA from older consoles, Wii was fully backward compatible with Gamecube and added lots of older games to the virtual console, PS3 was initially fully backward compatible then had this feature slowly removed with each new iteration of the console.

So basically the previous generation sort of cemented backward compatibility as a common feature in consoles, so suddenly having the two biggest kids on the block change their minds about it (well, not so sudden for Sony I guess) seems like a step backward at this point.

I have to disagree with you. The 360's backwards compatibility was an abysmal hack out of the gate and eventually abandoned, just as the PS3's initial backwards compatibility was abandoned as they gradually removed the PS2's hardware from the PS3. Even the Wii eventually dropped it with the Wii Mini. I certainly wouldn't say it made backwards compatibility a given. They did their best at the start (with Nintendo doing the best job) but the support for it was largely mediocre from the start and only got worse.

Consoles are more complicated than ever and supporting backwards compatibility is difficult as a result. There's no way it would be feasible to have PS3 backwards compatibility in the PS4. Not only are they vastly different machines, but the PS3 itself was a pretty complicated machine in itself. I just don't feel it's reasonable to expect backwards compatibility this gen, and even if it is expected, I still stand by the opinion that you buy a system to play that system's games.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate when a system has it, and I find it peculiar that the PS4 doesn't at least have PS1 backwards compatibility, since that's pretty much nailed at this point. I just don't feel a system should be regarded as "terrible" for the lack of it. In truth, though, I rarely use it. I almost always play the games on their original hardware.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

We have a "PC master race" guy here who sent an email about broken PS4s the other day which led to this reply.

This is your PC master race!
http://imgur.com/a/8IrJ4?gallery

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:46 pm 

Of course a consoleist would attempt something so nefarious as twisting the true message of these sad and infuriating pictures and utilize them to further your agenda! But the truth is that it is because of the evil schemes of the consoleist world conspiracy that the noble pc gamer is forced into such a degrading existence. These photos are just documenting the atrocities that you have commited against our people, documenting the pitiful lives of those broken by your catastrophic reign. But beware! you are digging your own graves. You are merely weeding out the weakest among us, thereby making us stronger and thus bringing about your inevitable downfall even sooner! The eternal teachings of the great leader Gabe will subsist and eventually our children will be victorious in a great cleansing war at the end of which every console gamer will be brandished with the red ring mark of shame and then burned in the relentless flames of the great overclocked CPU of doom which is only ever cooled by the tears of the pathetic creatures it consumes.

It will look like this:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm 

Why is Santa the leader of the PC master race?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 pm 

Because he is the one who, each year around winter solstice, rides his Steam-powered sleigh across the cyberspace and generously blesses us with wonderful gifts for our supreme gaming machines.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 pm 

I think thats supposed to be Gabe Newell, which makes sense if his sleigh is STEAM powered.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Why is Santa the leader of the PC master race?

It's Satan, PC gamers like to misspell words.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 pm 

All of you are peasants. Bow in the presence of the Large Pixel Collider. Seriously though... holy shit. The thing can do 4K and 5K resolutions with all bells and whistles enabled.

In other news, the PS4 sold a million units, which is the most a console has ever sold on day one. I wonder how many of those have broken HDMI ports and hard drives. :P

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah, I really don't understand why people do that, or rush to get the newest console and complain about lack of good launch titles. My friend got a PS4 and Killzone 4 (great graphics if you ignore the constant lens flair, terrible game/gameplay) and Knack (mediocre game, puzzling jump in multiplayer in which the second player doesn't seem to be able to get any of the items or use special abilities). Just wait for a bit. I'm completely unimpressed so far, but I know within 6 months we'll be seeing some better stuff from the new generation.

I know exactly why they do that. It's the newest piece of tech and they don't care about the games. Just for the 30 seconds of conversation generated from them boasting they got a PS4.

VoidOfEternity wrote:
I don't think it should be considered a ding against next gen systems because they don't play current gen games. I feel that should be an added convenience / bonus, not a required feature. And who knows, maybe in time, they'll introduce PS1 / PS2 emulators, etc.

For that matter, I don't even think this gen will be particularly different from the previous gen. I've had a few days with the PS4 now and it's a nicely designed system with some cool features. Obviously, it'll take time for the games to ramp up, but that's pretty much how it's always been.

The best thing about backwards compatibility is it's incentive for the new system that doesn't have a large library of games. I got a 3DS when the price dropped but there really wasn't the good library of games it has now. At the time just Dead or Alive Dimensions is all I got. Nintendogs and Cats cause I know Nintendogs was a huge seller for the original DS so I wanted to see what that was about. It's cute and nice if you don't have any real life pets.

But because it could play DS games, it was a good selling point. There really could be no harm in having essentially a spare DS.

Also my TV has 3 HDMI ports. PS3 and Wii U are using one. Suppose I had an Xbox. OK there's the third.

Now with the PS4............I have to keep unplugging an HDMI port? Or like I don't know. If a system is backwards compatible, that's less clutter around the TV to be able to play all the games.

I'm happy now. The Wii U can play the 2 Wii U games I have and Wii games. PS3 plays PS3 games and Blu Ray in the living room. The PS2 is in the bedroom collecting dust but the bedroom TV isn't this huge flatscreen so it's always there to enjoy the classic PS2 games and DVDs.

I like that because of the backwards compatibility I can easily play every single game I've had from the PS1 era onward and everything looks nice.

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
We have a "PC master race" guy here who sent an email about broken PS4s the other day which led to this reply.

This is your PC master race!
http://imgur.com/a/8IrJ4?gallery

I see gahgiddy's picture is still making rounds on the internet.

Man, some of those pictures are disguting. Not even fire could cleanse most of those places.

iamntbatman wrote:
Really? Tell me more.

http://www.gog.com/

Have fun :)

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:16 pm 

VoidOfEternity wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

I have to disagree with you. The 360's backwards compatibility was an abysmal hack out of the gate and eventually abandoned, just as the PS3's initial backwards compatibility was abandoned as they gradually removed the PS2's hardware from the PS3. Even the Wii eventually dropped it with the Wii Mini. I certainly wouldn't say it made backwards compatibility a given. They did their best at the start (with Nintendo doing the best job) but the support for it was largely mediocre from the start and only got worse.

Consoles are more complicated than ever and supporting backwards compatibility is difficult as a result. There's no way it would be feasible to have PS3 backwards compatibility in the PS4. Not only are they vastly different machines, but the PS3 itself was a pretty complicated machine in itself. I just don't feel it's reasonable to expect backwards compatibility this gen, and even if it is expected, I still stand by the opinion that you buy a system to play that system's games. Buying again for cheap the old console is a much better idea than expecting the new one to deliver good backward compatibility without sacrificing anything.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate when a system has it, and I find it peculiar that the PS4 doesn't at least have PS1 backwards compatibility, since that's pretty much nailed at this point. I just don't feel a system should be regarded as "terrible" for the lack of it. In truth, though, I rarely use it. I almost always play the games on their original hardware.

100% agree with both of your posts. Giving backward compatibility just makes for a more complicated system which is much harder to optimize. Doing something from scratch is always better, it makes for a more powerful machine and an easier one to deal with. Just look at Windows 7 (or is it 8?). The backward compatibility mentality is not a good thing.

And yeah, the 360 backward compatibility was truly abysmal. I don't think I remember an original xbox game which really played well. Halo 1 lagged in big battles, Thief had torches seen through walls, Halo 2 had ghost images that made you restart your console every hour or so, etc.. That's why I got back an original xbox.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm 

Foda500 wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Really? Tell me more.

http://www.gog.com/

Have fun :)

:durr:

I tried mouse-"clicking" this interlink but my Netscape Navigator isn't downloading it correctly. Perhaps I should ring up America Online on my audio-telegraph machine and ask them if they've remembered to scrub out the tubes on their end this fortnight?

Edit: I'm just glad that the GOG Woot!-off thing is finally over and I can stop watching those evil progress bars like a hawk.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538 ... 940  Next