Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:18 pm 

Corpicide665 wrote:
I'd like to set the record straight on all this hammerskin, white supremacist bullshit. I did a session for the band Attack years ago. They called themselves "combat metal". The singer was ex-military, and was a maniac who it seemed, hated everyone. They were recording an album at the studio next to my old rehearsal space. The producer owned both facilities and knew I was always there, working on new material or jamming. I was off the road for a while and pretty broke so I played a bunch of one take shitty solos for a couple hundred bucks, and that was all there was to it. I've never even seen any of them since. I've never played shows with Attack, or played solo at the event on this flyer. What the hell would I do for a solo set? (I should've played a bunch of Charley Pride songs...) The fact that they've placed my name everywhere, associating me with them is fucked up. Now people on here saying I should "die by ni**er dick"? And please don't wipe your ass with your old Cannibal Corpse cds and burn them. Anyone who has met me knows I'm pretty laid back and definitely not racist. Just a semi-alcoholic metal fan like everyone else. So if anyone has questions about this crap, or the new Deicide album, feel free. I noticed all the posts on here on Gunshy Assassin and had to say something.
Jack Owen
Wait, I'm a mallcore kid???? Shit...

You should probably be more vocal about that and clear it up because I know that a lot of people would say "Jack Owen = racist scum" hell I would have said that but I'm glad you cleared it up and I hope your name gets cleared because that's fucked up. I know I'd be ridiculously fucking pissed off if I was in anyway associated with a band/music scene like that.

Corpicide665
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm 

Which songs did you write for the new album?[/quote]

It was a very collaborative writing process this time. Glen even wrote some music. Kevin Quirion wrote about 60% of all the music. I have partial credit on "Between the Flesh and the Void", "Misery Of One", "Thou Begone", "Fallen To Silence" and wrote all the music for "Beyond Salvation". I don't think the writing credits are on the booklet, for some reason.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

I dont know what I was expecting with that new track linked in the thread but it certainly wasnt a cheap Raining Blood riff copy in a lacklustre song :(

Anyway, guy who linked Sacrificial Suicide earlier, \m/, my favourite song off the debut.

Also, slightly off-topic, but I never really got the negative reception for the Legion cover. It isnt bad and fits with the otherwordly sort of nature of the music. First album is pure death metal, second album takes that to a new level of alien intensity, and the cover fits that. I suppose it could be a bit more artistic and I have to admit the Deicide shirt I own is the first album cover and not Legion (even though I like Legion better :p)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

I've known about Cannibal Corpse and Deicide since 1996 or so, and honestly I only started seeing this "Jack Owen is involved with white power music" etc stuff very recently. People would talk about it as though it were common knowledge but I never really figured out why, so determined it was probably a silly rumour fit to be ignored. I would be wary of someone calling a guy whom he doesn't even know or can't confirm any statements made by him "racist scum". There's a lot of that kind of nonsense around; everybody likes to interpret the facts and very few people have firsthand knowledge.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Corpicide665
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thanks everyone for your support! I'll take the story to Blabbermouth soon. Do you know how annoying it is to have white power nazis approaching me at Deicide shows, expecting me to hang with them? Geez...
Anyway, someone started a thread about musicians who lurk on the forums to read about their bands. I would assume it's a lot more than you think. Some musicians can't handle negative criticism, but I think it's as important as compliments. It helps me realize what's wrong with the band/releases, etc. I realize people love the 1st 2 Deicide albums and we could never touch them in quality and classic appeal. Hell, when they asked me to join, I already knew the 1st album from playing the shit out of it, as a fan. As far as capturing the Legion feel on the new release? No way. That was a moment in time that can never be duplicated. It's a technical masterpiece.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:56 pm 

Quote:
I'll take the story to Blabbermouth soon.

Good idea, then people can link to that whenever the topic comes up. This isn't the first time I've seen that flier posted around, and unfortunately it put a pretty shitty misconception into my head that I'm very glad to have corrected here. :)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 am 

I'm in the minority who doesn't really care for the S/T or Legion. I prefer Glen's voice from 95 till now. Im just anticipating the new one to leak(and yes, I've got it preordered).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:40 am 

Glen sounded pretty great on Stench and even on the Vital Remains shit he did, but man he was awful on To Hell with God. Bunch of yapping garbage.

Quote:
As far as capturing the Legion feel on the new release? No way. That was a moment in time that can never be duplicated. It's a technical masterpiece.

Jack, I admit I don't always listen to the bands you're in as much as some, but I really respect a musician who can say stuff like that. Kudos.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:31 am 

Corpicide665 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your support! I'll take the story to Blabbermouth soon. Do you know how annoying it is to have white power nazis approaching me at Deicide shows, expecting me to hang with them? Geez...
Anyway, someone started a thread about musicians who lurk on the forums to read about their bands. I would assume it's a lot more than you think. Some musicians can't handle negative criticism, but I think it's as important as compliments. It helps me realize what's wrong with the band/releases, etc. I realize people love the 1st 2 Deicide albums and we could never touch them in quality and classic appeal. Hell, when they asked me to join, I already knew the 1st album from playing the shit out of it, as a fan. As far as capturing the Legion feel on the new release? No way. That was a moment in time that can never be duplicated. It's a technical masterpiece.

I think it's really cool that you decided to join the board to clear up that misconception (I had never heard that rumor though) and even just interact in general. I'm a big Cannibal Corpse and Deicide fan and I like what I'm hearing of the new album so far.

I wonder if people would pull their punches or tone down their criticism if they knew band members were on here. It sure changes the dynamic if the musicians are no longer unknown entities on a CD but real people who could answer back or defend their vision.

Although I agree that criticism can be helpful, I know how soul-destroying it can be when someone fleetingly tears apart something you put a lot of effort into. Months of work can be dismissed in minutes by an influential critic and sink an album. I know that's just the nature of the biz but it can suck for artists.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Glen sounded pretty great on Stench and even on the Vital Remains shit he did, but man he was awful on To Hell with God. Bunch of yapping garbage.

Seriously? Because most people, including me think the complete opposite. I like his vocals on To Hell With God because theyre similar to the first 5 Deicide albums in that theres power and VERY good enunciation, you can actually understand what he says, whereas his vocals on Stench and Vital Remains as well as anything between the years 2000 and 2011 is just bunch of completely incoherent URG URG URG shit. I remember the first Deicide record I bought was Till Death Do Us Part (because it was cheap and Stench wasnt available) and I HATED the vocals on it, especially when I discovered that Benton didnt always sing like that but he still had a good and coherent voice on Insineratehymn (later I got Stench and still didnt like the vocals although the music on that one was way better than Till Death), but when the first songs from To Hell With God leaked, man I was so relieved to hear that Benton had finally returned to his old BETTER style. And I'm glad that he's stuck with it on the new cd as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:36 am 

Now why he doesn't do it live is a mystery.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:38 am 

I certainly agree with that

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm 

Holy crap Jack Owen posted? That's...pretty cool.

As for the new album, I have yet to purchase it but I am planning a trip to Rasputin to do so along with the live High On Fire stuff I hadn't yet purchased.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:12 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Seriously? Because most people, including me think the complete opposite. I like his vocals on To Hell With God because theyre similar to the first 5 Deicide albums in that theres power and VERY good enunciation, you can actually understand what he says, whereas his vocals on Stench and Vital Remains as well as anything between the years 2000 and 2011 is just bunch of completely incoherent URG URG URG shit. I remember the first Deicide record I bought was Till Death Do Us Part (because it was cheap and Stench wasnt available) and I HATED the vocals on it, especially when I discovered that Benton didnt always sing like that but he still had a good and coherent voice on Insineratehymn (later I got Stench and still didnt like the vocals although the music on that one was way better than Till Death), but when the first songs from To Hell With God leaked, man I was so relieved to hear that Benton had finally returned to his old BETTER style. And I'm glad that he's stuck with it on the new cd as well.

He sounds old and tired on To Hell with God. It's not powerful at all, mostly just annoying. Understanding what he says takes a backseat here to sounding like shit.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:13 am 

I ordered it Mainly Cus i always Follow Jack Owen's Work :)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:19 pm 

It leaked...and it shipped lol

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm 

Listened to the whole thing and really enjoyed it. The drums and bass really stand out, with really clear sounding solos. The vocals are one of those things like To Hell With God, where you can understand it for the most part.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:48 pm 

Finally I've heard the album and it's pretty good! I like how catchy is in general terms. My standouts are Beyond Salvation and Even the Gods can Bleed that sound like Ol' Deicide a lot and Between the flesh and the Void reminds me a bit to Morbid Angel.

Asheim is a fucking beast; his playing is brutal, relentless and tasteful! The bass is actually pretty audible! not like Legion but it's just behind it in terms of mixing; the soloing is excellent and the production is flawless. I'll buy it for sure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

I plan on buying it. I heard some the other night. I liked it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 am 

I cant help but think that Godkill sounds like a newer Slayer song(but better). Reminds me of when I first heard Cannibal Corpse Torture, where all the songs were good, where the best one's, to me, were towards the end.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:41 pm 

I'm finding it to be rather boring. The riffs are good. The solos are generic. But Benton's vocal gets really monotonous after a few songs. The vocals are so high in the mix its impossible to completely ignore them and only focus on the riffs which are like I said very solid. I feel Benton has led this album down

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:04 pm 

I liked it. I plan on buying it too.

Cheezay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 am 

fallot wrote:
I suppose it could be a bit more artistic and I have to admit the Deicide shirt I own is the first album cover and not Legion (even though I like Legion better :p)

:lol: The Deicide shirt i have is Legion, and I like the first album better.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 am 

I listened to the whole thing once. I had earlier liked 'Thou Begone' and on the complete listen, it felt kinda effortless till I got to the last two tracks. They're definitely the weakest on the album. Otherwise, the songs transitioned well and there are some solid riffs in the mix. 'Even the gods bleed' is my favorite track so far. I'm not too big on the song titles and lyrics/theme though. I've said this earlier, they seem like old rehashed Deicide song titles, but meh, I'll overlook that fact at that moment. The drumming is pretty good and yeah, the bass is quite audible especially during those palm-muted sections. Overall, it's a very listenable album, nothing spectacular about it but it's a good effort. I think I'll get this album eventually.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:59 am 

I got the album in the mail and the booklet is just...boring, as well as the lyrics. At least the music is awesome.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:37 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I got the album in the mail and the booklet is just...boring, as well as the lyrics. At least the music is awesome.

You can't say you expected interesting lyrics from Deicide.

I still plan to buy the album.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

You can't say you expected interesting lyrics from Deicide.

I still plan to buy the album.

I was this time around, since Glen was saying he was going all out and Steve said they were brutal. They're practically the same stuff from To Hell With God.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:02 am 

I'll look this up when I get a minute, I'm quite interested to hear it, I have high hopes :grin:

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:42 pm 

I was surprised by how much I liked this album. Definitely an improved from, well, pretty much everything they've done in recent years. Album starts out very strong and runs out of steam eventually. Catchy, nice riffs, a bit simple perhaps, but very enjoyable. Asheim stands out, looks like he's discovered China cymbals, finally, and what a difference it makes. Benton sounds kinda lame, I must say.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:08 pm 

So where's the link to the full album, preferably not a dodgy mp3 download, the ones I've been finding are no longer active :scratch:
I need to install Spotify or some damn thing? uggh

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:20 am 

End the wrath of god is probably my favorite now. It almost has a Lurking Among Us on steroids feel to it.

Eerie Inhabitant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:57 am 

Heard the new album and the songs are already in my head. Inspired songwriting, catchy songs. Kevin Quirion fits the band perfectly. I'm liking the solo's too, more in line with the Hoffman style. The best thing is Glenn who isn't barking like a dog the whole album but puts out decent vocals for a change. Last song is my favorite too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6