Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:56 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
NEW IA ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE

Woohoo! My newest collaborative effort, entitled Labyrinth, was just recently published on Still*Sleep of Russia. Check out a preview + artwork here:

http://ss.semperflorens.net/index.php/cdr-series.html

A wonderful offering for all lovers of dreamy, immersive instrumental ambient!

Gotta ask. How did that artwork come about and why did you settle on that?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
If I wanted to start a (hopefully) serious thread about Slipknot, what sub-forum should I choose? My choices are:

a) Metal discussion: Since I expect I serious debate, this one appears as the more logical option.

b) The Tavern: Slipknot isn't considered metal by many people (including me) so there would be no reason to start it in the metal discussion sub-forum. Also, we would save ourselves some fruitless discussion about the metalness of the band.

c) Do not start a Slipknot thread at all.

Your input will be appreciated.

You'd be surprised, I'm that there's lots of Slipknot fans here who'd come out of the closet. Besides, nowadays, seemingly every other metalhead was introduced to rock via some horrible shit like System of a Down or whatever... so lots of people have a soft spot for nu metal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:14 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
NEW IA ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE

Woohoo! My newest collaborative effort, entitled Labyrinth, was just recently published on Still*Sleep of Russia. Check out a preview + artwork here:

http://ss.semperflorens.net/index.php/cdr-series.html

A wonderful offering for all lovers of dreamy, immersive instrumental ambient!

Gotta ask. How did that artwork come about and why did you settle on that?

The title text is just for the website, actually...it looks different on the actual cover. The main image is the same though. It basically came about because I offered the label owner a group of images that I had (including a few from my photographer friend) that I thought reflected the spirit of the album, and this was the one that he instantly liked the best.

...True story!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:24 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
I didn't know body farms actually existed...

There's an episode of Dirty Jobs where he works with that guy. No human bodies though, just pigs.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:30 pm 

Wait, are Grave Wyrm and Under Starmere brothers?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 pm 

Tony wins a donut! :D

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:52 pm 

:eek: :eek: :o Whaaa?? Mind=blown.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:22 pm 

Spoiler: show

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 pm 

I consider it an honor to be associated in any way with that image.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:45 pm 

WHOA.

Also, that's really awesome! When I get some cash soon, I'll pick up a copy!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

:D

Badical! (I have copies!) I still need to catch up on all the Baptist material, just been really busy and stressed out this season and haven't had a whole lot of free time. It will occur!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

Subrick wrote:
That is indeed correct. From their show in Edmonton, Alberta a few days ago:

Quote:
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Necrophiliac
Mandatory Suicide
Captor of Sin
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
At Dawn They Sleep
Die by the Sword
Spirit in Black
Hallowed Point
Seasons in the Abyss
Strike of the Beast
(Exodus cover)
Dead Skin Mask
Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
Angel of Death

Shit, that's a stellar setlist. Too bad I'll be in Toronto on that day and the whole week-end. :( If I really liked Slayer that much I'd leave a day early and try to catch them in Toronto on the 21st, but that would be going a bit too far...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:26 pm 

Yeah, that's pretty much an elite selection of songs right there. Plus Strike of the Beast? :headbang:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:36 pm 

From the live videos I've seen of them doing that one, Bostaph actually plays it better than Lombardo did. He doesn't add any extra double bass to it, but he does the fills as they were recorded on Bonded by Blood and it's generally closer to the original track aside from playing it at Slayer speed.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

Wow I am surprised Slayer's setlist includes pretty much all stuff from their classic days, when they actually wrote good thrash songs (Seasons and before). Nice to see that. Wish I could see them in CT on the 26th. :(

Last edited by AcidWorm on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm 

Dittohead takes offense to that remark.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:55 pm 

From comments on a NYT article.

Bhaskar wrote:
The entire region needs to be de-nuclearized from Israel to India. Each country wants nuclear capability because its neighbor has the capability or seeks one.

In return, the U.S should provide low cost fuel cells to these countries because they have genuine energy shortage. The U.S should also provide a security umbrella, since these countries might feel threatened by other nuclear powers.

It's time for U.S to say "you either accept our offer, or have your nuclear capabilities taken out".

It is time to put an end to this madness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/world ... .html?_r=0

This guy is arguing that several countries with no reason to trust the United States should give up their most potent and valuable weapons and energy resources in exchange for the privilege of being protected by our armies and supplied by our factories; in other words, become vassals/ It is a straight up imperial relationship in the classic sense of the word and that is a NYT "pick" comment!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

Back from three more days in hospital with this brutal migraine-ish infection induced headache. Morphine shots every 4 hours isn't as exciting as it may sound, though.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 pm 

I dunno, man, it sounds pretty fuckin' exciting.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Back from three more days in hospital with this brutal migraine-ish infection induced headache. Morphine shots every 4 hours isn't as exciting as it may sound, though.

What the hell do you do, bathe in medical waste and used syringes?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 pm 

Neck still hurts after yesterday's Morbid Angel concert. First concert I've ever been to that I've wanted to go to. Was right in the front barely seven feet away from Trey and David. On the way out, my friend and I caught Trey outside having a smoke. My friend said how much he loves Covenant and Altars.... We were about to keep walking when I told Trey that that show was my first concert. He was taken aback (in a good way). My excuse being that I live in a shit town in Southern PA; he asked if Philly or Pittsburgh would have been closer but I have friends in Maryland so we went to Baltimore (though Baltimore is a shit city) . We approached each other, my friend talking about the rest of the tour. After about a minute, we shook hands and parted.

Awesome night.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:26 pm 

My neck hurts too. Incantation fucking slayed! But that's to be expected. Ragnarok could have been great, but how is it that at, like, 70% of all black metal gigs the lead guitar is way too quiet? Ragnarok is pretty much all about lead guitar melodies, but most of the time you could barely hear it. :grumble: No wonder the crowd wasn't impressed. They must've thought it was supposed to be like that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 am 

Anyone heard the new Falkenbach yet?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

The title text is just for the website, actually...it looks different on the actual cover. The main image is the same though. It basically came about because I offered the label owner a group of images that I had (including a few from my photographer friend) that I thought reflected the spirit of the album, and this was the one that he instantly liked the best.

...True story!

Ah neat. Your gallery under 'visionary' have some really good potential album covers too.

In other news, corporate logos get the so called black metal treatment by Szpadjel. It's been published in a mainstream business zine. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with any of them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 am 

Rush should really be one of my favorite bands - they have everything I like in music. I don't know why I haven't heard most of their albums. I think that ought to be a music related goal for my near future.

edit: Jesus those logos are awful. More like shitty-ass deathcore/metalcore logos.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 am 

@ shouvince Why thank you! :-D

God, that logo article was fucking terrible. What the hell even happened there. Just.... what the fuck. I'M GOING TO BED

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 am 

Yeah, when I saw his name in the article I thought it wouldn't be so bad but damn, it seems like he either purposely sterilized the logos to make it acceptable to the general public or he's just lost it after doing some 7000+ logos for bands.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:18 am 

Szpajdel's always been pretty shit at logos, to be honest. I never understood the constant drooling over his work, it's always seemed very generic to me with predictable texturing, symmetry and fluidity. I think he's just made so many of them that nowadays his default thought process for making them is to just use this annoying, predictable formula that looks like what might happen if you asked a random passerby on the street to draw a "metal logo" for your band.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:28 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Wait, are Grave Wyrm and Under Starmere brothers?

o_O

The hell have I just read?! Wyrm needs to post himself in the picture thread now...

EDIT:
MutantClannfear wrote:
Szpajdel's always been pretty shit at logos, to be honest. I never understood the constant drooling over his work, it's always seemed very generic to me with predictable texturing, symmetry and fluidity. I think he's just made so many of them that nowadays his default thought process for making them is to just use this annoying, predictable formula that looks like what might happen if you asked a random passerby on the street to draw a "metal logo" for your band.

The fuck... maybe now, but let me tell you, back in the 90's they were (and some still are) the shit before everyone and his dog had one. Back then someone with a logo done by him was usually a sign of quality music.

My collection

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:23 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
The fuck... maybe now, but let me tell you, back in the 90's they were (and some still are) the shit before everyone and his dog had one. Back then someone with a logo done by him was usually a sign of quality music.

This I can agree with, at least. I just don't like his general artistic style, honestly; it's way too clean, his letters seem to lack a certain "thickness" that I like in logos, and it often feels like he relies on symmetry to a fault. I did a bit of digging through his artist roles on MA until I could find a logo he did that I liked, and found that I quite enjoy this one:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 am 

Hmmm... I guess I like the symmetry of his logos, and let's be fair some of them are almost set-in-stone classics now;

And, probably more iconically (a given)

Edited for spoiler tags...

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 am 

Saw Paradise Lost yesterday. For a first concert it's not too bad. For my idea the 1 ½ hour was over in no time though. Greg and Aaron looked like they had a great time. Nick nailed ''Gothic'' and ''Rotting Misery'' though I doubted his enthusiasm. Yelling ''come on'' a shitload of times gets a bit boring after a while I guess. :p

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 am 

Hi! I thought it might be fun to play a game. The aim of the game is to find the absolute worst music video on youtube. This game is open to official music videos only. Home recordings of a band jamming in their garage or basement don't count. Here are my nominations:

This is a single by the Australian cricketer Brett Lee. It's about as good as you would expect an Aussie cricketer to release a single for the Indian market. Apparently it reached number 2 in the Indian top forty.

This song is as terrible as you would expect given its name and theme. I bet their mother is proud.

This song makes Rebecca Black's "Friday" sound like a masterpiece by comparison.

Last edited by markoff_chaney on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am 

Solid Concepts - Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)

http://www.youtube.com/v/bgQvqVq-SQU&feature=youtu.be

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Hi! I thought it might be fun to play a game. The aim of the game is to find the absolute worst music video on youtube.

That sounds awful and you are a bad person for suggesting it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:51 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

Used syringe acupuncture, actually. But I had procedure done for my kidney stones that basically caused the infection, it was always a risk. Now I managed to somehow get two separate prescriptions for the biggest vicodin pill and I don't have any need or desire to go get these filled. I need to find a junky who wants to give me cash for my scripts.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

Used syringe acupuncture, actually. But I had procedure done for my kidney stones that basically caused the infection, it was always a risk. Now I managed to somehow get two separate prescriptions for the biggest vicodin pill and I don't have any need or desire to go get these filled. I need to find a junky who wants to give me cash for my scripts.

Several years ago my mom was on a series of heavy-duty painkillers for a broken pelvis followed by some chronic pain issues. The problem was that some didn't work for her at all and she avoided a lot of the rest because she was afraid of getting addicted. So we ended up with a medicine cabinet full of largely untouched bottles of valium, vicodin, percoset...Would have been a junky's wet dream.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm 

That sounds glorious. ^

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:07 pm 

It is glorious, especially the percocet. But I hate valium, xanax, all that shit it just makes you into a bumbling moron, and you lose shit like your keys and wallet and have no idea where they went when you wake up. My sister had a bottle of klonopin for her epileptic seizures. I thought it said clonodine and took a few one night thinking it would help with insomnia. Well, it did, and I don't remember anything for nearly three days afterward.

Last.fm

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

I've taken all those and yeah opiates beat Benzos but I enjoy em anyway.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 518  Next