Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 pm 

Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

Could go for another FPS right now. The new Shadow Warrior actually did look and sound pretty good...?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:46 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
My gripe with 3 is that the pacing sucked. It was just pure nonstop combat left and right, definitely not the case in the others. I don't have much to say about the plot in these games at all, but the atmosphere was dark and lonely enough it was nice to take in from time to time with some gaps in between encounters.

Sounds like you didn't get very far through the game, then, because there were several instances of the sort of 'quiet ambiance' that previous FEAR games were known for in FEAR 3, the most memorable being a late night stroll through a haunted electronics shop. I was super skeptical of the game at first but I ended up liking it quite a bit more than the second game in the end. Fun times.

Yeah it's clear they were kinda trying to appeal to the Call of Duty types with the Combo and XP alerts popping up frequently, but really the core game is very solid. There's a cover system too, but you basically never have to use it if you don't want to. I don't think I ever did.

And yeah, that electronics store bit was awesome. More memorable in terms of ambiance than anything I can remember from Fear 2, honestly.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:46 pm 

Oh man, the Shadow Warrior remake is absolutely essential. I wrote about it in some detail right after I'd completed it:
darkeningday wrote:
I just beat it! Completely rawked from beginning to end. Probably the best first person swordplay I've ever seen in an action game, finally beating out the gold standard set by (the still excellent and woefully underrated) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It also had an amazingly robust and thorough upgrade tree with a fantastic experience system that really made you sweat for the big payouts. In addition to that, the levels were absolutely enormous in physical size with no less than 17 (!!) of them, most lasting at least an hour; way more if you didn't leave a single rock unturned in search of loot and hidden items. Throw in graphics that, when fully cranked, put nearly every other FPS on the market to shame (note that this game will only run on PC and next-gen consoles), a damage modeling system so complex it continues to boggle my mind how it even begins to work, surprisingly not-shit storyline/dialog/voice acting (although not exactly outstanding on any of those fronts either), gorgeous hand-drawn cutscenes, beautiful soundtrack, autosave AND save-anywhere functionality (a wonderful fuck-you to the current trend of checkpoints-only games), great optimization, fucktons of hidden locations, an EXTREMELY challenging difficulty setting, a new game + available upon completion, easter eggs galore and A FUCKING DEMON BUNNY, and you have my favorite game of the year, easy. GTAV/TLoU fanboys, give this one a shot before propping up your shoe-in for "best game of the generation" or whatever. Having watched several hours of gameplay from both of those games, I can say with some certainty that this one does a better job with what it's trying to do than either of those.

My only real complaints were: somewhat disappointing (although nowhere near bad) boss fights, the occasional frustrating bug (one of which forced me to reload an old save because I actually couldn't continue) and the horrible double-tapping needed to use any non-standard ability... which I eventually, begrudgingly got used to but never stopped being annoyed by. Hopefully the two latter complaints will be remedied with a patch. Other than that, though? Yeah, pretty much perfect.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm 

Ugh, apparently Arkham City Only does temporary saves until you close the game; 'cause I just had a hard crash and all my progress from that session is gone. It was my first session, so now I have do the first missions again. :grumble:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 pm 

Yeah that makes Shadow Warrior sound pretty legit. Seems it totally slaughters what Duke Nukem Forever tried to be. I've watched tons of videos and it just really does look like a great marriage of old and modern FPS design in a solid package.

Was the Rise of the Triad remake any good? Heard average things about that one.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

Shadow Warrior looks a lot better than Rise of the Triad. What a disappointment that game was. Ran like shit and it didn't feel very good to play.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:43 pm 

I just finished Ghost Trick - Phantom Detective. I have no idea what happened after a certain point. Crazy plot is crazy.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I just finished Ghost Trick - Phantom Detective. I have no idea what happened after a certain point. Crazy plot is crazy.

Haha, that Shu Takumi convoluted plot. Great game though, I hope he'll make another one.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm 

Currently playing through Doom II. Damn, this game has a lot of levels/episodes.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:14 pm 

In the spirit of knocking another one off the "I really should have played this by now" list, I'm finally going to go look for a copy of Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night. I'm a huge fan of Super Metroid, so it's about time I got around to playing the other game that gave rise to the term 'Metroidvania'. Anything special I should know before I start up a file?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:18 pm 

Ohhh you're in for a treat. Enjoy.

Don't use guides, discover at your own pace. If you're truly stuck I suggest asking here instead of risking spoiling yourself (not the plot but secrets and so on) with FAQs, the discovery of the castle is one of the most fun aspects. But if you're a Metroid pra0 this shouldn't happen anyway, the game is easier than Super Metroid. I'll only say this, assuming you were never "spoiled" about the game: if you think you beat the game, you probably haven't. Try reloading your save after and search deeper.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 pm 

Unfortunately, a decade and a half of hearing about and reading about SOTN has spoiled some things for me (like the "end" secret, although I'm a little hazy on remembering it now so that's good), but for the most part I should be heading in uncorrupted. :)

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:54 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

Anyone ever seen these? its a compilation video some guy made of a let's player called DSPgaming, basically making fun of him how he plays MGS3.

The guy playing is probably the worst gamer i've ever seen and he doesn't try to stealth at one point in the whole game and just run and guns through it while ranting about how much the game/controls suck and spouting sexist and racist comments all the time and talks garbage like a 12 year old over the cutscenes, especially the ones with Eva in em.

Its truly a sight to behold how bad this guy is at video games and its very entertaining even if you'll probably lose a few IQ points after watching it.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:55 am 

I'm familiar with DSP and I'm always dumbfounded at the thought that someone can spend so much time playing video games and still suck at them. He has no intuition whatsoever and he's immune to tutorials. The worst part is that he has a fat ego and everything is always the game's fault according to him.

I'm actually amazed that he was a top Super Street Fighter II Turbo player at one point, placing 4th at Evo 2005.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 am 

So on one hand you get an uneducated 30something virginal neckbeard playing a game he doesn't know (nor has any desire to learn) how to play, and on the other you have a guy who not only watched but pieced together hours of the dude's idiotic videos and spliced in songs, YouTube comments and personal commentary into a massive 2.5 hour package?

And the biggest loser is...

you. the viewer.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:56 am 

Be sure to check out all the GBA/DS Castlevania's too. I loved them all except Harmony, and Portrait was kind of weak but still worth a play. Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia (probably the most challenging one combat wise) are definitely my favorites out of those.

But yeah, as much as I love them, they still don't hold a candle to Super Metroid to me. Man, hope we get another good 2D Metroid someday.

Also I always like to say Blaster Master > Metroid (NES). It would have been interesting if we got a good sequel on the SNES. The Genesis game was kind of terrible.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:59 am 

Aren't there some obscure Japan-only 2D Castlevanias that are supposed to be amazing?

Blaster Master rules! I played that game so much. One of my favorite NES titles.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:11 am 

Ah, Blaster Master. One of the games that got me started as a gamer, watching my child hood best friend's brother play it for hours. I always sucked at that game.

I started up New Vegas again recently, after getting it during the halloween sale (with all the DLC). Forgot how easy it is to waste hours of your time playing it.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:36 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Aren't there some obscure Japan-only 2D Castlevanias that are supposed to be amazing?

Nah, basically every Castlevania title made it outside of Japan at some point. The big / great one that stayed in Japan for a long time was Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, which has since seen International releases on the Wii virtual console and on the PSP (both in its original form with translated audio and as a remake). Vampire Killer on MSX made it to Europe, at least, but other than that, it's mostly just spin offs / minor titles.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:21 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

Anyone ever seen these? its a compilation video some guy made of a let's player called DSPgaming, basically making fun of him how he plays MGS3.

The guy playing is probably the worst gamer i've ever seen and he doesn't try to stealth at one point in the whole game and just run and guns through it while ranting about how much the game/controls suck and spouting sexist and racist comments all the time and talks garbage like a 12 year old over the cutscenes, especially the ones with Eva in em.

Its truly a sight to behold how bad this guy is at video games and its very entertaining even if you'll probably lose a few IQ points after watching it.

Most of the videogame commentators on youtube are quite annoying and some are just unlistenable such as this guy. When they curse a lot, trying to be really funny and quirky etc, it really puts me off. Here is an example of one of the most annoying examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84EkDGSsWQ

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

Could go for another FPS right now. The new Shadow Warrior actually did look and sound pretty good...?

I concur on Shadow Warrior, it kicks crazy ass.
Devolver Digital is having a sale right now, so if you'll want to play it anytime soon now's the time.
Also, the Serious Sam games are discounted a lot now, BFE is only 6 euro's! which is like...something in USD!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 am 

I agree on the things said about Shadow Warrior. Great story, graphics, music and lots of long levels.

Still, it did have some flaws besides boss battles. There was an okay amount of enemy types but the battles eventually got pretty repetitive. The guns were virtually useless too--despite looking and feeling great to shoot, the sword was pretty much always the best weapon to use (except for when fighting the flying harpies and sometimes the glowing green explodey guys). I only used the guns for the boss battles, because I was forced to. This is mostly because the guns were really underpowered compared to the sword.

Even the swordplay, which was awesome at first, got tiring towards the end. There was never really any reason to use moves like the knockback. The only ones you'd ever need were that super strike (the one you used to break those colored statues) and the health regeneration. Which meant that most battles boiled down to getting one or two super strikes in, then dashing around to regenerate health and repeating. Sure, the other moves were cool and satisfying, but on the harder difficulties using them for style points is really not an option if you want to stay alive.

For a game that is praised as old-school shooter revivalism, it didn't feel that old-school. I mean, health could regenerate (I never needed health pickups) and downtime between battles was just a click-fest a la Bioshock Infinite for money laying around (to be invested in useless weapon upgrades).

It's still probably one of the best games of the year, despite its flaws. I am a huge fan of 3D Realms IP and I had pre-purchased Shadow Warrior. Definitely pick this game up, it IS quality. While you're at it pick up Serious Sam 3 and Painkiller HD too, for more old-school shooting madness.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:17 pm 

I've literally heard of no one playing the new Call Of Duty Ghosts.

Flame away but I'm legitimately a pretty big fan boy of the games since the first Black Ops which is my favorite but this new one really isn't my thing, it feels like it's a redone version of Modern Warfare 1 which I wasn't too big on.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

I got Shadow Warrior and yeah, it seems pretty amazing.

A shame about Call of Duty. It's almost like I want those to keep alive so they can keep terrible people away from me. I guess it'll phase out and Activision will ruin another genre eventually. CAN'T WAIT! Maybe it'll be some kind of time travel inspired fake stealth series with horribly boring combat... oh wait.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:49 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

Haha, that Shu Takumi convoluted plot. Great game though, I hope he'll make another one.

Seriously. That was a real surprise about Sissel's origins. I didn't see that coming at all. Absolutely mental.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:32 am 

Maaaaaaan, the new Killzone looks pretty awesome. Looks like a good replacement for Halo (really didn't care for 4 and I'm pretty bored with it all at this point). Also I always prefer more humanoid enemy types, so that's another plus.

I think I'll get a Wii U before a PS4 though. Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World looks incredible, and yeah just a ton of good stuff for it and the Wii I still need to check out. In retrospect, I think the Wii is probably one of the best Nintendo consoles out there honestly. The GC being my least favorite by far.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:54 am 

You're nuts! Gamecube ruled hard and Wii was almost entirely crap.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 am 

Agreed. The Wii had a lot of potential, but the software was never quite up to par. The Gamecube, however, was a gold mine.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:48 am 

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 alone justify the purchase of a Gamecube and you can not convince me otherwise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am 

Are you guys playing Brutal Doom? If not, you should. There's nothing quite like sticking a Super Shotgun to an imp's ugly face and splattering him all over the walls.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:21 pm 

Foda500 wrote:
Are you guys playing Brutal Doom? If not, you should. There's nothing quite like sticking a Super Shotgun to an imp's ugly face and splattering him all over the walls.

I love Brutal Doom but I still prefer vanilla Doom. The gore and effects are cool but a lot of it is too reminiscent of Duke3D. Plus many of the new mechanics reek of modern FPS, which is goddamn sacrilege considering this is Doom we're talking about here.

Last edited by Poisonfume on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm 

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, where have you been all my life? Best pirate simulator since Sid Meier's Pirates from way back in the day. This game rules, anyone with a PS3 should give it a chance. :love:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:30 pm 

But it's... AssCreed. It'll still have that animus bullshit. Is the combat still shitty? Is it still full of boring side-missions and stupid empty collectibles? (In other words, is it still AssCreed but just with pirates this time?)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
But it's... AssCreed. It'll still have that animus bullshit. Is the combat still shitty? Is it still full of boring side-missions and stupid empty collectibles? (In other words, is it still AssCreed but just with pirates this time?)

It looks like the exact same game but with islands and pirates. I mean this is coming from someone who loves the series, but III really killed a lot for me. That open-ended frontier stuff sucked, not to mention the game itself had many flaws.

If it were me, the first thing I'd get rid of is the animus stuff. You don't need that component in these games anymore.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 alone justify the purchase of a Gamecube and you can not convince me otherwise.

Don't forget Super Smash Bros Melee!!!!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:14 pm 

Well of course Melee is the best fighting game ever made (anybody who argues otherwise is also wrong), but Super Monkey Ball is less well known and just as awesome.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:52 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I think I'll get a Wii U before a PS4 though. Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World looks incredible, and yeah just a ton of good stuff for it and the Wii I still need to check out. In retrospect, I think the Wii is probably one of the best Nintendo consoles out there honestly. The GC being my least favorite by far.

I agree. Never really rated the Gamecube despite owning one at the time. Wii was much better.

Oh and get The Wonderful 101 for Wii U. You will thank me later.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

AssCreed, lol. Little fact, I don't own any other game from the series. I tried the first one and didn't like it much, the 3rd one that just came out looked moderately interesting but I didn't feel like buying it. Something was just telling me to get this one though, and a few industry folks I follow on twitter kept praising the fuck out of it so I gave it a shot.

There are collectibles rewarding exploration, but they are completely optional. And many of them give you cool gear upgrades for finding the whole set. The game's content is split roughly 60/40 on land/water, and the transition from your ship to land is very seamless. The naval combat system is the most robust of its kind I've encountered, it's really great. You can board ships that you render immovable through battles, take out crew with a swivel gun and then swing across your crows nest to theirs and air assassinate the captain all in one encounter.

The melee combat is as good as any other, I don't know what else to say to describe it. You get your attacks, combos, counter and defense break functions. You can also use smoke bombs and sleep darts for stealth purposes. The free running and acrobatics are really fun too, a lot of the challenge in certain areas comes from navigating terrain.

I'd say give it a shot, there really hasn't been an excellent naval/piracy game in over a decade. This one is more than worthy IMO. Check out some videos too if you want to see for yourself.

Foda500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:32 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Foda500 wrote:

I love Brutal Doom but I still prefer vanilla Doom. The gore and effects are cool but a lot of it is too reminiscent of Duke3D. Plus many of the new mechanics reek of modern FPS, which is goddamn sacrilege considering this is Doom we're talking about here.

Brutal Doom is more "DOOM comic" than Duke3d, but I agree. Vanilla DOOM is still the king.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:34 pm 

Speaking of DOOM, I just finished plutonia experiment. Jesus god was that hard.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 530, 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536 ... 940  Next