Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Theallmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 pm 

Hi, I have been searching for a good drum program, to make my own drum tracks, I am writing stuff but donĀ“t like the sound of Guitar pro, could someone help me?
Please say why you use the program.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 pm 

EZDrummer with the Drumkit From Hell can sound really nice, but it costs a decent bit to get both of those. Same with Superior Drummer.

Drumcore3 Free is a great basic drum program, and like the name implies, it's free. If you click the death/doom link in my signature, all the drums on that album were done with Drumcore3 Free.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm 

I have been using Hydrogen for all of my tracks. With a good drum kit and a good EQ you can make it sound convincing (I know you can do much better than I in both respects.)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 pm 

Oh wow, I had totally forgotten about hydrogen! I used it about 5 years ago and it's great, free, and user friendly. But definitely get some good drum samples and EQ, like CF_Mono said.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 am 

I've heard some good things about Drumkit From Hell, and a lot about BFD2 too.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 am 

Drumkit from Hell is what I use.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:41 am 

Yeah I also use hydrogen. What hasn't been mentioned yet is how you can also adjust the ADSR envelope, which helps make it sound more realistic. I didn't like it at first, but as I started using it more I've grown to really appreciate the sounds you can get out of it.

I'll have to check out Drumcore3.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Drumcore3 free is nice and real sounding. It's a basic 5 piece drumkit and it's good for almost everything, although I personally don't like it for blast beats. It comes with some grooves and stuff but I've never used them, I just do my own beats. Either way, I highly recommend it.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore ... umCoreFREE

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 am 

I also recommend Hydrogen. It's easy, free, and there's some good, realistic sounding kits on there, plus you can screw around with the EQ and add effects to up the realistic factor of it.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm 

Placing samples by hand is the best option imo. Most time consuming but you can get REALLY realistic if you already know how real drummers normally play.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:49 pm 

^that. I'm not a drummer but I have a pretty good understanding of drum dynamics and stuff. Just listen to lots of music and pay some attention to the drums, along with some drumming videos and stuff.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:53 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Drumcore3 free is nice and real sounding. It's a basic 5 piece drumkit and it's good for almost everything, although I personally don't like it for blast beats. It comes with some grooves and stuff but I've never used them, I just do my own beats. Either way, I highly recommend it.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore ... umCoreFREE

I'm getting this. I heard your Licrest samples and it's quite decent man. Thanks! I'm tired of using acoustica beatcraft for all these years and want something new and not too resource intensive. Btw, can this convert midi files into the drum samples provided by the s/w? A friend told me that Superior does that. I ask this because one can use/write the drum parts in guitarpro, export the track into a midi and feed it into the software.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 pm 

I dunno I've never tried that, I just program my drums directly with drumcore

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 pm 

I use Rhythm Rascal to write my skeleton parts. It's free and just about the easiest drum software to use that I've had my hands on. The sounds are very stock though, and the free version litters the mixed down track with clicks every so often. Still, it's an absolute steal for a free program.

http://www.rhythmrascal.com/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:20 am 

shouvince, I dunno about Drumcore3 but if it's anything like EZ/Superior, then you can most likely do that. I actually write all of my drum parts in GuitarPro then export as MIDI, then import into Reaper as its own track (or multiple tracks if you want, if you wrote the drums that way in GuitarPro) and apply Superior as a VST.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm 

I don't care what kind of bad rep its got, I use Acoustica Mixcraft's drums just tuned to how I want them. I think its only a 50 dollar program, but its got a free trial

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
shouvince, I dunno about Drumcore3 but if it's anything like EZ/Superior, then you can most likely do that. I actually write all of my drum parts in GuitarPro then export as MIDI, then import into Reaper as its own track (or multiple tracks if you want, if you wrote the drums that way in GuitarPro) and apply Superior as a VST.

Yeah, that's what I meant. My only problem with that is that, yeah I can probably acquire Superior somehow but damn it's like 40GB of space, right? That's too heavy for my miserable laptop haha. I'll explore drumcore3 though I have read that it doesn't have any integration with Reaper but with some other DAWs which I don't use. I'll look into it and if not, like infinitenexus mentioned, I'll tab the drums directly there.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 am 

Don't go for superior... Get the EZ Drummer with Metal Heads and Metal-Machines sets. Total size about 1.5gb or so.
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

Last edited by InThyKingdom on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 am 

drumcore3 works fine with reaper. Check the Licrest link in my sig - I did all the drums for that album with drumcore3 free.

I second choosing EZ drummer over superior. I have both and while superior drummer has more options, to my ears EZdrummer sounds better. ANd if you route it so it's sending outs to multiple tracks, like a single track for kick, single track for snare, etc, then you'll end up with essentially just as much flexibility as superior drummer.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 pm 

I forget exactly how big the Superior install is, but there are ways to make it much smaller. Basically the install size is all to do with the number of samples you install, so if you do drumsticks only (leaving out brushes, mallets, etc.) the install is way smaller.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

This is the way.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:25 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
Yeah I also use hydrogen. What hasn't been mentioned yet is how you can also adjust the ADSR envelope, which helps make it sound more realistic.
I'll have to check out Drumcore3.

I completely forgot about this feature. I never thought it would actually be that useful though, I'm going to try fooling around with it next time.

HomicidalBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm 

looks like no one has posted on this in years but some help would be highly appreciated. I need some help with using Hydrogen, I can't seem to get the hang of it, possibly I am doing something wrong, I don't know. If you can help me PM me or post here, doesn't matter

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:37 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
I don't care what kind of bad rep its got, I use Acoustica Mixcraft's drums just tuned to how I want them. I think its only a 50 dollar program, but its got a free trial

Acoustica Beatcraft is what I use as well, with the More Drums! Volume 1 expansion. Getting those extra kits is pretty important, as they sound far better than the basic ones IMO. For the basic Beatcraft and the extra kits it's only 55 bucks. With the right EQing and a bit of reverb you can make it sound quite good. See my sig to hear what Beatcraft can sound like.

Reply to topic