Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
TomD666 wrote:
Now I find myself listening to pop punk and beatdown bands, like Emmure, who are way more talented and influential than Hellhammer ever were.

Fair opinion, but clearly there are reasons why people would prefer Hellhammer - you must see that anyway.

Quote:
There's no point taking music seriously.

If everyone thought like this, the world would be a shitty place. What an asinine thing to say.

I'm clearly taking the piss when it comes to the Emmure & Hellhammer comparison (though I do enjoy both bands) Hence the 'serious' comment... and you took the opinion quite seriously :P

I just think music in all it's forms (incl. contemporary/mainstream, dancing to a bit of pop-cheese is fun sometimes :3 ) is meant to be something entertaining or in other cases involving & interesting to listen to. I don't really get how it can transform into a lifestyle choice or identity. Just seems to result in unnecessary arguments or overbearing negative opinions

Last edited by ~Guest 18743 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

I've seen Emmure live. They're garbage. I'm never going to listen to them by choice again. I'd take Hellhammer any day, because they are filled with genuinely creative people and Tom continues to produce great music to this day. Emmure do nothing to develop their sound, they put out the same 40 minute breakdown every year. Worthless trash in audio form.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:21 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I've seen Emmure live. They're garbage. I'm never going to listen to them by choice again. I'd take Hellhammer any day, because they are filled with genuinely creative people and Tom continues to produce great music to this day. Emmure do nothing to develop their sound, they put out the same 40 minute breakdown every year. Worthless trash in audio form.

I dunno I think breakdowns are pretty cool.
And you totally have no idea what you're talking about, it takes some real creativity to combine nu-metal and wiggerism into some serious deathcore influenced moshtastic caveman music and pull it off successfully with tons of kids going sick in the pit. Plus the new album is about video games, which is some total ground-breaking shit compared to their earlier material. Way to generalise a pioneering band!!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 pm 

One of the hazards of my location is that I saw Emmure at a local hardcore show around 2003/04. I didn't actually know their name at the time, someone brought it up years later. I remember them because we were joking about how bad they were, wondering if the guitarist would find a third chord by the end of the set. They were some sorta nu-metal/rapcore/breakdown hybrid that sounded like a cross between Korn and Bury Your Dead. I saw them years later when they were opening a few dates of one of the summer package tours that Darkest Hour were headlining, and they have only gotten worse.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 pm 

TomD666 wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

I dunno I think breakdowns are pretty cool.
And you totally have no idea what you're talking about, it takes some real creativity to combine nu-metal and wiggerism into some serious deathcore influenced moshtastic caveman music and pull it off successfully with tons of kids going sick in the pit. Plus the new album is about video games, which is some total ground-breaking shit compared to their earlier material. Way to generalise a pioneering band!!

You're so original. :wanker:
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Hey I'm being serious :P plus if people like them well they must be doing something right, eh?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm 

Eh, it's a matter of taste. I liked that Emmure played in the area at The Silo, and I went to see them just because it's a convenient location for a show. Did I get rabid crazy for them after seeing them to the point where I bought shirts and CDs and shit? No.

I'm not a huge fan of It Dies Today, but here's an example that if a band has good enough merch, I'll still get it. They had a hoodie with a dragon on it. I fucking love dragons. So I bought that hoodie. It was long enough ago that I don't remember who they opened for, but I think it was Atreyu and it was also for the hell of it because it was at The Silo.

I got a Shadows Fall hoodie at East Coast Tsunami Fest as well because... it had a fucking dragon on it.

I'm going to try and see H2O at Reverb at the end of December if I'm not out of state. A lot of hardcore bands of various types play there.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

joints
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:51 pm 

I am 29 and i never had a core phase or whatever that is. I started listening core about 3 years ago. maybe im on that phase now. i never had a shitallica phase too. maybe it is yet to come. Once you like a certain type of music, you never going to dislike it. that's for posers. Big long haired 30's and 40's posers with slayer, iron maiden and shitallica shirts who want to say " HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK HOW METAL I AM "

Listen whatever you want.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 pm 

If nu-metal counts as core, the closest I've got was enjoying the occasional Slipknot and Korn song when that stuff was big; I was about 14-15. It was by no means a gateway to me since I was already well into many classic metal bands and was starting to explore the more extreme side of things (black metal first and foremost). I've always found those bands all managed to score a few tracks I enjoy but the rest of the stuff leaves me completely indifferent.

Never cared much for metalcore, really; I've heard some Killswitch Engage and while it was alright, I felt no need to explore their discography any further. Some of that stuff I found rather terrible (could never stand Trivium for instance). As for deathcore, I've tried some and found even less reasons to do the same again - boring, boring and more boring.

droneriot wrote:
I listened to a lot of Marilyn Manson in the 90s, until they released Mechanical Animals in '98, which killed it for me (going from dirty, disgusting industrial rock to David Bowie with rubber tits, bah. :() I still spin the first two albums sometimes.

Not sure how MM relates to whatevercore, but really? I thought Mechanical Animals was indeed very different and more accessible, but nevertheless a musically excellent effort. Holy Wood is where I started losing interest, although it was still an ok record. After that... ugh, no, thanks.

TomD666 wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

Hey I'm being serious :P plus if people like them well they must be doing something right, eh?

Not really. Never listened to Emmure so I don't know about them, but lots of people tend to enjoy lots of truly horrible shit, so I don't think it's a valid argument, sorry ;)
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:
Yes, after quite some time of listening to nu metal, I jumped to metalcore, pretty much with As I lay Dying and August Burns Red, but I never stopped liking the core/nu bands that got me into heavy music, my favorite band until this day is Between the Buried and Me, and I enjoy a large amount of "real" metal these days, death, black, sludge, doom of whatever, the only diference being that now I know (sometimes) if a band has actual metal riffing/song structure rather than just distortion and gutturals. But I guess I'm still a core kid though.

You know, I would honestly argue that Between the Buried and Me isn't really a core band, but More as a Progressive Death Metal band, hell that's what they even call themselves. Either way, they are a really good band

Well yeah, I agree that they have been losing many of their core aspects in recent albums, and even some mods think that they should be here, but still, the majority of their riffing parts sound more like heavy guitar excercises rather than actual metal riffs, but, it doesn't matter to me, I love them, and who knows? Maybe in a future they'll release a pure progressive death metal album.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:51 pm 

I got into metal in the late 90s so for a time I was into groove metal (Pantera, later Sepultura, Machine Head) etc and it was very much a phase that ended when I discovered Death/Black/Doom Metal. I can barely tolerate any of the stuff I used to listen to back then.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm 

[/quote]

Well yeah, I agree that they have been losing many of their core aspects in recent albums, and even some mods think that they should be here, but still, the majority of their riffing parts sound more like heavy guitar excercises rather than actual metal riffs, but, it doesn't matter to me, I love them, and who knows? Maybe in a future they'll release a pure progressive death metal album.[/quote]

Yea that would be pretty cool, it would be nice to see them on this site in the future, maybe I am just reluctant to call them a core band because they are the only "core" band I actually really enjoy, in fact they one of my favorite bands, but I am also a sucker for progressive music, and they really skilled so that's why I really enjoy them unlike other core bands.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:04 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Yea that would be pretty cool, it would be nice to see them on this site in the future, maybe I am just reluctant to call them a core band because they are the only "core" band I actually really enjoy, in fact they one of my favorite bands, but I am also a sucker for progressive music, and they really skilled so that's why I really enjoy them unlike other core bands.

They used to be on here.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm 

I heard their then-newest (don't know if they did another since then) album about two years ago and thought it was really annoying and not metal at all, BUT it also didn't bear the slightest semblence to metalcore in my opinion. It was sort of its own thing.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 pm 

I didn't really ever go through a phase of liking exclusively -core, but it was prevalent in my tastes early on and I still listen to it periodically (albeit, most of the stuff I listen to now is nothing like the metalcore/deathcore I listened to when I was 12 years old - it's not really middle-ground melodeath, it's either almost exclusively based on metal or it's ridiculously massive metal-less bludgeoning).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm 

TomD666 wrote:

I just think music in all it's forms (incl. contemporary/mainstream, dancing to a bit of pop-cheese is fun sometimes :3 ) is meant to be something entertaining or in other cases involving & interesting to listen to. I don't really get how it can transform into a lifestyle choice or identity. Just seems to result in unnecessary arguments or overbearing negative opinions

Music can be fun, but that doesn't mean the creation of it shouldn't be taken seriously. You're right that it doesn't have to be a lifestyle choice, but it's not like it's all a big joke and doesn't mean anything to anyone besides fun. It's important for lots of reasons.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 pm 

Music becomes an identity for those who don't have an identity. Because they are 14. By 25 they are the same miserable asshole as everyone else, only they have a more defined soundtrack to their own delusional origin story. Of them. And their hobby.

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am 

I used to be into shit like Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine and Chelsea Grin and that general breed of shit. I still listen to a bit of -core like Suicide Silence, Animosity, Carnifex, As I Lay Dying, but not all that regularly.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am 

Emmure is pretty good, Goodbye to the Gallows and The Complete Guide to Needlework are their best. These two actually have riffs. Unfortunately most people know them for Speaker of the Dead and Slave to the Game shit which is indeed boring, and I like only select tracks from these. I do think that Emmure > Hellhammer. Lots of people say that Emmure is unoriginal and stuff, but I've yet to see a band which copies the style successfully. There was Annotations of an Autopsy album in vein of later Emmure but it sucked incredibly, and thats it. Emmure is like a deathcore Cephalotripsy.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 am 

I've definitely been on a huge hardcore and all things related kick for the past few months. When I was younger I used to be way more into listening to "true" metal, but now that interest has dwindled for the most part. I still listen to black and death metal here and then, but now I've mostly been into hardcore bands. I don't get why there's so much hate between the two groups, the two genres kind of metaphysically coexist.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:40 pm 

I grew up with the classics: Maiden, Priest, Dio, and then early death metal after that. I never got into core, and I was largely unaware of metalcore and deathcore until I saw some of those bands supporting bigger metal acts. I was never interested in hardcore punk, as a matter of fact, and getting closer into metal territory, I'm not a grindcore fan, either. I can appreciate a handful of these bands in a live setting mainly because of their energy on stage, but on the album, it's not my cup of tea.

While this is a thread on -core genres, I feel nu metal has a similar stigma, so I may as well mention I never got into that scene. Much like -core, I find most of these bands boring and vapid on recordings, but I have nothing against the genre or its musicians. I just never developed a taste for them. At any rate, I really like Rammstein and have most of their albums. They're not -core or nu metal but I often see them lumped with the latter, or receive similar flak. Also, earlier this year I saw Sevendust (nu metal? I don't know, but I like them a lot) in NYC, and Coal Chamber were co-headlining. I wasn't too familiar with Coal Chamber, or DevilDriver, for that matter, so I didn't know what to expect, but their set kicked ass. I've gotten Coal Chamber's first two studio albums since, and while the songs don't sound as stimulating as they did live, I still enjoy them from time to time. A hear a lot of the Korn influence on the first album but that's a band I never got into either. They were playing a couple hours away from me last month but I passed on the opportunity.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:13 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Music becomes an identity for those who don't have an identity. Because they are 14. By 25 they are the same miserable asshole as everyone else, only they have a more defined soundtrack to their own delusional origin story. Of them. And their hobby.

terminal pessimism aside, you have a point: music helps shape your identity and sense of self when you're a teenager. but it's a good thing, though - it gives adolescents a (somewhat) stable footing in the world during a fairly crucial time development-wise. i could be wrong, but it sounds like you'd deny people that if you could. not everyone is a miserable teenager, and not everyone is a miserable adult, either.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

I almost got into -core music. I was discovering bands like SOAD, Coal Chamber, Korn, and Deftones and in the earlier stages of liking them, but I liked their slower heavier songs better, and I think i got from Deftones' "You've Seen the Butcher" some love for sludge and doom metal. Unless sludge metal is 'doomcore' then I never really did.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:28 pm 

No. The only phase I went through before getting into metal was alternative rock/grunge.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

Let's see.
1 - I probably got a real start with Radio friendly rock (think Blink 182, Green day, etc.) and some Grunge.
2 - Then, probably into Nu/Alternative Metal (Evanescence, probably some Slipknot)
3 - Then, into "Symphonic" & "Gothic" Metal (thanks to my sister, After Forever, Within Temptation, Epica...)
Some of these bands already had those "awful" death grunts and whatnot.
4 - Someday, looking at her playlist, I find 4 songs by Arch Enemy and 3 by Vanhelgd. Took me a while to get accustomed to them. But after a while, it was not 'awful' anymore, I actually liked it and searched for more.
5 - Somehow, I got into Deacapitated and Roots-era Sepultura (while still listening to everything from 3)
6 - Then, I got deeper and deeper into Death Metal and Thrash Metal, and we (me and my sister) developed some taste for Traditional and "Gothic" Doom Metal (My Dying Bride, especially).
7 - From there, deeper and deeper into Death Metal and Death/Doom
8 - I'm actually christian, so I started to look for christian bands sometime, and got into christian Black Metal that way (Antestor and Horde). For the same reason, I started to listen to some christian Deathcore and Metalcore (more the former than the latter). At the same time, I got into Funeral Doom Metal.
Then, I perceived some -core acts I listened were actually not that good, while some others were really amazing (really, the first bands I heard sounded original while the others, disregarding the release dates, appeared in my mind as the actual copycats).
From metalcore to some hardcore and then some punk, sludge metal, stoner metal and crust punk.
Then to some Grindcore (metallic or punkish) and now into some progressive metal.
So yeah, I listened to a good bunch of christian metalcore/deathcore thanks solely to my beliefs.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 pm 

TomD666 wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

[...] if people like them well they must be doing something right, eh?

That's such a generic argument.

"Hey, if people like it, it can't be that bad, right?"

"Hey, they're popular for a reason!"

"Hey, there's a reason why they're still around!"

"Hey, if people listen to them, there must be a good reason!"

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:15 pm 

I started with hard rock and traditional metal, so I never really listened to nu metal or metalcore. The only bands classified as nu metal or metalcore that I listen to are Rage Against the Machine and Avenged Sevenfold. I tried listening to Limp Bizkit's Three Dollar Bill Yall$, but it was one of the most painful listening experiences I've ever had.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 am 

I listened to Saosin. And the Bled. And Poison the Well.

It was short lived ... and during a time when it was fucking to find anything new and interesting.

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:29 am 

If later God Forbid counts, then I'm going through one now. If not (as I hope), then I'll just selfconsciously say I'm going through a post-thrash phase.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:43 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, I had a -core phase in middle school. I used to listen to a shitload of Black Flag and Minutemen.

This. I was far too old to get into any of that metalcore/deathcore nonsense but my youth was devoted pretty strictly to stuff like Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, GBH, RKL, Dr. Know, Quadiliacha, Descendents, Adolescents, TSOL, Verbal Abuse, DRI's first record, etc... even stuff like NOFX's first couple records and The Vandals first couple... and Slayer, so much Slayer.

It's funny, though I loved Slayer it never occurred to me as a kid that there would be more bands out there like that and it was a long time before I started branching out and looking for more. It's hard to think back and remember what my mindset was then but I think a lot of my "not being interested in looking for more metal" was hearing Metallica's Black Album and thinking it was slow boring crap and thinking that's what the rest of metal sounded like.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:14 pm 

naverhtrad wrote:
If later God Forbid counts, then I'm going through one now. If not (as I hope), then I'll just selfconsciously say I'm going through a post-thrash phase.

Their final 3 albums were the only ones of theirs I got into and hold up pretty well on their own compared to a number of their peers. I still listen to IV: Constitution of Treason most often than any other modern metalcore I own and is, for me at least, an example of how good the genre was at its peak in spite of very few albums honestly reaching that level of quality. The "concept" is a bit contrived, but not so much to detract from enjoying it.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:42 pm 

Growing up in New England in the late 1990s, listening to hardcore was basically a requirement if you were into heavier music. Actually, I've been listening to a lot of older hardcore, crust, and d-beat recently than I have been metal. I just shake my head at people who go the "all -core is terrible" route. I find that generally speaking I'll have very little in common with them and probably think poorly of their opinions.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I've seen Emmure live. They're garbage.

Zodijackyl wrote:
One of the hazards of my location is that I saw Emmure at a local hardcore show around 2003/04. I didn't actually know their name at the time, someone brought it up years later. I remember them because we were joking about how bad they were, wondering if the guitarist would find a third chord by the end of the set. They were some sorta nu-metal/rapcore/breakdown hybrid that sounded like a cross between Korn and Bury Your Dead. I saw them years later when they were opening a few dates of one of the summer package tours that Darkest Hour were headlining, and they have only gotten worse.

Count me in with the "I've seen Emmure and hated them" crowd. They were direct support for Hatebreed when I saw the latter for the first time in 2008, and their awful guitar tone gave me a headache that I had to step outside of the main room for. Played like shit too. I know a couple guys from Danbury/Fairfield that went to high school with the Emmure doofuses, and they've got nothing good to say about them. So far they're the second worst live act I've seen, coming right behind Winds of Plague.

--

As it pertains to the thread topic, I go through periods where I listen to one band or style of metal nonstop for a couple weeks before changing from time to time, and metalcore (emphasis on the metal) and/or deathcore just happens to be that style every so often. Nowhere near as often as some other groups (I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've gone 2 or 3 weeks listening to nothing but Dream Theater, Death, or Opeth), but it does happen occasionally. I'm much more forgiving of -core that emphasizes the metal aspects of the sound over the hardcore aspects as that usually leads to better music, hence why I can listen to a band like Killswitch Engage a lot but immediately detest listening to an Acacia Strain song more than once (they were also not the best live, but at least they weren't slopping along like Emmure were).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

These last few weeks I been really bored, so I decided to explore the grind/metal/death core genres. With Grindcore I never gave a chance because the only stuff I've heard from that genre was Napalm death's scum and cacrass first albums, which I thought sucks (note I do love carcass death metal stuff) but after recently listening to Napalm death's other albums and some terrorizer and some deathgrind like red chord and cattle decap I learn grind is actually pretty good and Napalm death is actually a pretty good band, still can't get into scum though.

Onto metalcore, after exploring the genre I learn that I like the more melodic death metal influence stuff like Early all that remains, early killswitch engage, as I lay dying, Shadow Fall. Before exploring more I already enjoyed some trivium. But I hate the post hardcore influence bands.

As for deathcore, I generally only seem to like the progressive bands, and dislike the rest.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:23 pm 

My parents are both metalheads and had me at a young age, so I grew up listening to thrash metal. I mostly listened to thrash and death metal until I was 15 and was in the phase where everything non-metal sucks. I hated emos wholeheartedly.

Then I took a turn. I cut my long hair and went the standard emo haircut, got a snakebite (a piercing on either side of bottom lip) and started listening to everything from Bring me the Horizon to Bullet for my Valentine to BrokenCYDE (don't ask). I never abandoned the metal I listened to before though.
In hindsight, I don't know what to make of this phase. I was pretty popular at the time and grew a LOT of sexual experience (emo chicks are pretty slutty). It might have been the most fun period of my life, although I'm glad I grew over it.

Some of the music stuck though. I still like All Shall Perish, All That Remains (first album) and some other -core bands. I still consider Atreyu's Lead Sails and a Paper Anchor a great album. Looking back I don't think I'd be the (musically) mature person I am now if I hadn't gone through my emo phase and I know I will look back at all the sex and drugs with a smile on my face as I grow older.

So did I have a -core phase? Just a little.

last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:41 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
With Grindcore I never gave a chance because the only stuff I've heard from that genre was Napalm death's scum and cacrass first albums, which I thought sucks (note I do love carcass death metal stuff) but after recently listening to Napalm death's other albums and some terrorizer and some deathgrind like red chord and cattle decap I learn grind is actually pretty good and Napalm death is actually a pretty good band, still can't get into scum though.

Glad you found something to enjoy, grindcore rules! For other rad grindcore/deathgrind/goregrind that might appeal to you, you should def look into the following as well:

Repulsion http://repulsion.bandcamp.com/
Deathtoll 80K http://deathtoll80k.bandcamp.com/album/harsh-realities
Napalm Death http://earache.bandcamp.com/album/from- ... ge-edition
Brutal Truth http://earache.bandcamp.com/album/extre ... -responses
Nak'ay http://nakay.bandcamp.com/album/split-10-w-archagathus
Exhumed http://exhumed.bandcamp.com/album/all-guts-no-glory
Hemdale http://hemdale.bandcamp.com/releases
Sixbrewbantha http://sixbrewbantha.bandcamp.com/album ... ering-mind
The Kill http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/make-em-suffer-lp
PLF http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/pu ... l-force-cd
Regurgitate http://regurgitate.bandcamp.com/album/e ... e-sessions
Bone Sickness http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/alone-in-the-grave
Insect Warfare
Assuck
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 am 

Started off with Coroner, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Sodom, my tastes havnt changed all that much.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:42 am 

Not at all! I did enjoy some -core bands though, but didn't get too deep in them. I had a huge symphonic/melodic metal phase though. The epic keyboard songs get the partial credit to draw me to metal.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:26 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Let's see.
Spoiler: show
1 - I probably got a real start with Radio friendly rock (think Blink 182, Green day, etc.) and some Grunge.
2 - Then, probably into Nu/Alternative Metal (Evanescence, probably some Slipknot)
3 - Then, into "Symphonic" & "Gothic" Metal (thanks to my sister, After Forever, Within Temptation, Epica...)
Some of these bands already had those "awful" death grunts and whatnot.
4 - Someday, looking at her playlist, I find 4 songs by Arch Enemy and 3 by Vanhelgd. Took me a while to get accustomed to them. But after a while, it was not 'awful' anymore, I actually liked it and searched for more.
5 - Somehow, I got into Deacapitated and Roots-era Sepultura (while still listening to everything from 3)
6 - Then, I got deeper and deeper into Death Metal and Thrash Metal, and we (me and my sister) developed some taste for Traditional and "Gothic" Doom Metal (My Dying Bride, especially).
7 - From there, deeper and deeper into Death Metal and Death/Doom
8 - I'm actually christian, so I started to look for christian bands sometime, and got into christian Black Metal that way (Antestor and Horde). For the same reason, I started to listen to some christian Deathcore and Metalcore (more the former than the latter). At the same time, I got into Funeral Doom Metal.
Then, I perceived some -core acts I listened were actually not that good, while some others were really amazing (really, the first bands I heard sounded original while the others, disregarding the release dates, appeared in my mind as the actual copycats).
From metalcore to some hardcore and then some punk, sludge metal, stoner metal and crust punk.
Then to some Grindcore (metallic or punkish) and now into some progressive metal.
So yeah, I listened to a good bunch of christian metalcore/deathcore thanks solely to my beliefs.

Adding to my previous post, I suppose by core you mean Metalcore, Deathcore, Trancecore and Mathcore, and don't mean Grindcore or Fastcore.
I'm really into a Fastcore/Grindcore phase (again!), and, while I'm currently listening to some Prog/Melodic Metalcore (Protest the Hero - Kezia, specifically), I suppose this is not a 'that kind of core'-phase.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:47 pm 

Is liking Linkin Park core? I dug the shit out of them in high school, especially that one remix LP "Reanimation". Shit is embarrassing to listen to now, but I could have been listening to way worse in all honesty.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next