Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

Man, does this guy rule or not? You already know the story, someone leaked a video showing him smoking crack, which he denied about four thousand times, but a few days ago he finally admitted to it. His excuse was priceless, he only did so "in a drunken stupor." So he wouldn't smoke crack sober, he only likes to drink so much that he reaches a point at which he'd smoke crack, that's fine. Who doesn't like to drink so much that they'd smoke crack? And now this: The BBC News live ticker just added the following bit:

"BREAKING NEWS: A new video has surfaced showing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford threatening to 'murder' someone"

And I thought this story couldn't get any better! He's sociopathic, too! What's next, I wonder? If he wants to become prime minister, I will acquire Canadian citizenship and vote for him.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 pm 

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03 ... emark.html
www.torontosun.com/2013/03/11/sarah-tho ... on-cocaine

Let's see. Ford is accused by a woman by harrassing her under the effects of cocaine, and he handwaves it away by saying that he always found her to be a little crazy.

Considering that he has first denied pretty much everything he has been accused of, only to admit it later, you can all make of that what you will.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:14 pm 

Here's the latest article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24858250

"But he turns the air blue as he vows to rip out the person's throat, poke out his eyes and ensure his victim is dead."

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

Guys, give him a break, he only did crack because he was drunk as fuck! I have no idea why he's still Toronto's mayor...

Underneath all that, I don't even know if he's a "good" politician. He can't be worse than Harper, that's for sure. At least while he's taking drugs, he's not killing the environment with tar sands!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Guys, give him a break, he only did crack because he was drunk as fuck!

Hey, if anyone else can think of a better way to sober up before heading to work, I'd like to hear it!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

My faith in humanity keeps on eroding slowly because of stuff like this.

It's not just Rob Ford, cause he's just one guy. It's more that he is backed by so many people who are totally oblivious to the undeniable, long standing fact that this guy is a junkie and a sexually deranged motherfucker. Or perhaps some people just don't give a fuck as long as the guy is aligned with whatever small time ideology they hold dear.

And if it was only a Toronto problem. But democracy is becoming more of a joke every single day.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 pm 

I still think my favorite part is this:

Quote:
Mr Ford has also challenged allegations he had lied when denying using crack cocaine, telling the media earlier in the day, "I wasn't lying. You didn't ask the correct questions."

Six months ago, the mayor said: "I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict."

Basically he pulls the most ridiculous internet debate semantics card imaginable, except in real life. "I didn't lie! I said I don't 'smoke crack', which means at this exact moment in time as I'm saying this!"

I honestly do feel pretty bad for this guy though. If the shit keeps piling up I'd be willing to bet the guy offs himself.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:24 pm 

Man, it's pretty hilarious that this is becoming international news now.

Ford's approval rating went up 5% after he admitted he smoked crack. Understandable to an extent, I guess...but, as long as he "stays focused on keeping taxes down", he'll stay in office. :roll:

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

Jesus effing tap-dancing Christ. Am I sick of hearing about this jackass. He lies and lies and lies, gets caught and tells the truth finally, and his moronic supporters still claim he's the greatest mayor Toronto has ever had. I hear enough about him from the plethora of sycophants he somehow still possesses. Wanna know the common excuse as to why people still support Rob Ford? They say he isn't politically-correct, that he's a common-man, and that he doesn't come from wealth. Boy, do they need to do some thinking.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:28 pm 

I think this public backlash, and media storm, should quickly come to and end. Remember that he has young children at home that will very likely be affected by this already, why instigate it further.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:54 pm 

Clearly the behaviour of an addict. I know it's sad and I feel bad for him and all, but he is an endless source of entertainment. Too bad much of this comes at the city's expense.

And this seems a perfect opportunity to repost this:

Edit:
And maybe some of you will uh...appreciate these:
http://gawker.com/39-breathtaking-photo ... socialflow
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:04 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Guys, give him a break, he only did crack because he was drunk as fuck! I have no idea why he's still Toronto's mayor...

Underneath all that, I don't even know if he's a "good" politician. He can't be worse than Harper, that's for sure. At least while he's taking drugs, he's not killing the environment with tar sands!

Which tar sands are you referring to? Because I can assure you, Canada has pretty much the cleanest oil sands projects that you can find. :P Also, let's not even compare this moron to Harper. He ISN'T a good politician, and I've been wondering how in the fuck he was ever voted into office in the first place. Someone please give me an example of the good Rob Ford has done for Toronto.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

I've seen a few crack heads in my day, but I've NEVER met a fat crack head. I simply don't think they exist... If he went for that logic rather than this " drunken stupor" bullshit, he might be a tad bit more believable.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 pm 

Maybe uses what little appetite he has to eat ice cream and candy.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:59 pm 

Adriankat wrote:

A man who survives on crack and ice cream dies on crack and ice cream. Quickly.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:16 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

A man who survives on crack and ice cream dies on crack and ice cream. Quickly.

Thanks for saying that for me.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:29 pm 

I can tell you without a doubt he isn't addicted to crack. Used it once? Sure.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:44 pm 

THis article is relevant, and explains some of what's been going on:

http://nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195208

And here's the video of Ford having an explosive rant and talking about murdering someone. He does seem high...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11 ... _rant.html

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 pm 

That motion he makes when hes saying "I'll rip his eyes out" etc. has to become a new dance move.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:07 pm 

This poor guy can't get a break.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:44 pm 

No sympathy, he brought it on himself. I mean, I feel for him as a human being struggling with substance abuse but between the lies, the clearly unacceptable behavior, and shady (most likely illegal) dealings, he deserves the scrutiny and ridicule. I've read and heard people say that some segments of the media are taking too much pleasure in ripping into Ford while he implodes, but from the outset he was antagonist and bullish towards them, and considering the salaciousness of the mayor of the 4th largest city in north america smoking crack the reaction is not surprising at all.

I'm curious: all non-Canadians does this change your perspective on Canada or Toronto? I figure most people realize it doesn't have that much importance in the larger picture, but it's probably the first time in.... well ever, that a scandal in Canada has made front page headlines internationally.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 pm 

Rob Ford is awesome, consistently hilarious and in a position such that he can't do any damage to anything important (doesn't have nukes, just runs a city in a country that's perhaps even less important than Australia). Long may his reign continue! Ford 4 prez

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:46 am 

I love this story for its comedy. Ford looks and acts like an obese fratboy and after all of this junk has come to light, you can't help but wonder just how much influence he bothers exerting in his job, or if his office just does whatever they think is appropriate while Ford is getting wasted. This is a city of 2.7 million people, and 5.5 million in metropolitan terms, so you'd think being the mayor would just not be a job where you could afford to be out drinking, partying, and of course smoking crack. I think the people who argue for Ford staying on should probably be arguing for his office rather than him specifically.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:11 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
No sympathy, he brought it on himself. I mean, I feel for him as a human being struggling with substance abuse but between the lies, the clearly unacceptable behavior, and shady (most likely illegal) dealings, he deserves the scrutiny and ridicule. I've read and heard people say that some segments of the media are taking too much pleasure in ripping into Ford while he implodes, but from the outset he was antagonist and bullish towards them, and considering the salaciousness of the mayor of the 4th largest city in north america smoking crack the reaction is not surprising at all.

I'm curious: all non-Canadians does this change your perspective on Canada or Toronto? I figure most people realize it doesn't have that much importance in the larger picture, but it's probably the first time in.... well ever, that a scandal in Canada has made front page headlines internationally.

Nah, this doesn't really change my view of Canada at all. It reinforces what was already there, in fact (i.e. that you guys are so goddamn polite that you don't even have the legal mechanisms to remove someone so clearly in the depths of substance abuse from public office).

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Nah, this doesn't really change my view of Canada at all. It reinforces what was already there, in fact (i.e. that you guys are so goddamn polite that you don't even have the legal mechanisms to remove someone so clearly in the depths of substance abuse from public office).

Fuck you! And fuck your legal mechanisms! Actually it seems that there isn't really a way to boot him at present. Let's hope he's polite enough to step down on his own. ;)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:47 pm 

I was going to say, Fister, that Caspian's response should answer you too...no, apparently people still think Canada is as parochial as ever, even if it's the fourth largest city in north America we're talking about here, and a bullish, hard-living mayor is just kind of charming and entertaining rather than dangerous. I see that, myself, but I live in the city so yeah, it's pretty damn important to me that it not be fucked up.

He won't be removed from office so long as there are no criminal charges laid. There haven't been; he is still under investigation. The police chief has it in for him, so we'll see. Police here are definitely pretty powerful and are probably going to end up bringing him down in the end, which in itself is possibly a bit disconcerting. And I don't think he'll step down on his own; that's just not the Ford we "know and love". :P

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:53 am 

I'm surprised he hasn't resigned yet. Usually politicians will resign from office if they are caught after such inappropriate behavior. Public image is essential for politicians and the media will be very unforgiving if you are not squeaky clean. The public in turn can be very quick to turn against a politician. In terms of Ford doing his job as Mayor I have no idea how competent he is though but usually scandals will outweigh anything right a politician does.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm 

I live in Toronto and as a Torontonian I did not vote for him because when he was running against other candidates he might have brought in words of wisdom like "We will cut unnecessary government spending" but his character just appeared too violent and aggressive. I'm not surprised he got himself into all this stuff. From police investigation there seems to be some blackmail of him just because he apparently did drugs with a bunch of unlawful individuals so the video was probably related to that.

I think he should resign as well just because he is a public figure and a public figure cant do stuff that he did while in office.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm 

For those who need a visual of the whole situation:

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:45 pm 

While he didn't handle the situation too well in my opinion
, it is really surprising the admission did a good thing for his popularity? here's the mayor pretty much saying he's "one of us". That may be pretty scary in a way but on the other hand it seems to be what a lot of people want from their politicians. He was also a highschool football coach, which also makes him more relatable than the average lawyer or economist. The US has made a complete tradition of treating their politicians this way....the guy you'd like to sit next to in the pub is the guy you'd vote for, and not the one who comes across as a lofty intellectual or moral crusader or whatever.

That said, crack is not cool, nor is the fact that our mayor apparently gets so drunk that he literally has zero idea of what is going on around him. I expect that of some people I know, maybe even myself on occasion, but in those sorts of circumstances someone should be around to make sure he doesn't get into any compromising situations or that some vulture isn't behind him with a bloody mobile phone taking videos of him making an arse of himself.

I'm really so on the fence about this whole thing. At times I find him rather likable and feel bad that he's going through such a difficult times, at other moments I just want him to get the fuck out. It doesn't help his case that, as my friend and I were discussing the other day, if you don't own a house and a car, he pretty much doesn't think you count for anything.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 pm 

I dunno. I never really saw Rob Ford as being 'one of us', but more like that annoying rich kid who's trying his damnedest to appear as 'one of us'.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:43 pm 

Perhaps; I won't argue that he doesn't basically seem like exactly that sort of person, but it's all in perception right?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm 

My roommate and I have spent the last two nights getting high and laughing at videos of Rob Ford. He really is a never ending source of comedy. I feel bad for the people of Toronto who have to put up with his shenanigans, though.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 am 

I'm sure most politicians act more human than we'd like to think, but I would prefer they not be "one of us." I would greatly prefer they have a clean slate and prove to be exceptionally hard working and dignified people.

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 pm 

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/13/doug_ford_fires_back_at_councillors_have_you_ever_smoked_marijuana.html

This is comedy gold right here...Rob Ford's brother going nuts on city council with the very sensible view that smoking pot and smoking crack are basically the same thing (or at least equivalent indicators of a person's decision-making). If you listen to the other voices caught, you hear a guy say they should turn his mic off, followed by the woman who's like the floor leader telling him "It IS off." :lol: :lol: :lol:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I'm sure most politicians act more human than we'd like to think, but I would prefer they not be "one of us." I would greatly prefer they have a clean slate and prove to be exceptionally hard working and dignified people.

If a politician is like me, well... we're fucked.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 pm 

How does this guy have time to even smoke crack with all these apology conferences?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24947207

Here's the video with the outburst in question:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 am 

"I've got more than enough to eat at home." - Rob Ford on munching carpet.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:20 am 

Of-fucking-course Sun News would give Rob Ford and his brother a show:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/14 ... ref=topbar

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
"I've got more than enough to eat at home." - Rob Ford on munching carpet.

I like that he actually said "eat her pussy" to the press. Amazing. I live in IL, the most corrupt state in the United States, and our politicians are just boring old thieves.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next