Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm 

I do just 2 rhythm tracks also, I don't think 4 tracks makes it any bigger sounding, and two is tighter for me - which is important as I play kinda sloppy sometimes. A lot of pro metal bands do 4 tracks though. Some even do more. On ...And Justice For All, James did over a dozen rhythm tracks per song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 pm 

and I think that album's guitars are so fucking weak.

I finished my guitar and bass tracks for the black metal song. I'll finish composing lyrics hopefully tonight and I'll do them tmwr along with some breaking wheel material. or at least start practicing for the next tracks to be done, maybe do a video of me playing them live.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm 

^ Live video would be pretty cool! :)

I made a riff on my acoustic today, still waiting for my baby to be repaired. It's amazing how playing an acoustic can give you such a different inspiration!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am 

Went back and revisited some Atmospheric Black Metal shit I was working on today that I started months ago for my other band. Perfect day to do it on too, as it was in the 50's, foggy, and raining all day, typical Autumnal weather. Anyways, got 2 songs finished for it now, one is like 9:30 something, and this one I just finished today is 7:05, plenty of good reverb as well. I'm actually really liking how these are turning out, as I haven't worked on any Black Metal in a while. Think Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and Drudkh's "Autumn Aurora" kinda mixed together I guess, as those are two of my favourite ABM albums.

Last edited by Unlife on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am 

Regarding AJFA's guitar sound, the tone actually is really good IMO. It's just the overall guitar sound and the way it was mixed made it really thin along with the really clicky stick-sounding drums. I wish I could get a tone like that to play around with.

EDIT: Guitar tone, not drums hehe.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am 

I can't tell if the tone is good because it's so WEAK sounding overall. I really can't give it any praise. there are far better and burlier tones.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 pm 

Fair enough, there are many far better tones on famous albums. Last killer one I've heard is from Tempo Of The Damned.

Speaking of guitar tones I can't wait to start recording the next album even though this one has just been out, cos that's the only time my vocalist lets me experiment with different plugins for our guitar tone. Normally he just plugs me into the same preset and says alright lets do it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:31 pm 

I like heads and amps. No like preamps. Though your album was great I think it would've been better with real equipment.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:36 pm 

Well I got my guitar back today after I was notified that the price for the repair was jacked up $14 for unnecessary things like cleaning and all that other bullshit and the guy also fucked with my tuning so I had to tune back down to what I like afterward. The fucking moron even had the audacity to ask me if I played guitar because of the fact that I use heavy gauge strings and tune so low. Never again will I pay some fucking idiot to fix my guitar, I'm going to only do it myself from now on. Fuck off and die, total disgust.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 pm 

Haha yeah, lots of those guys don't understand the concept of heavier strings or low tuning. I took a guitar to a shop once and told them to put some 7-string strings on it (the low 6) and tune it down to A and they were like, "that's not going to work at all and will sound awful!".

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 pm 

I'm always learning things the hard way I guess. At any rate, it feels DAMN GOOD to be able to sit down and play riffs again. These last few days have been ABSOLUTE TORTURE...

I wrote a really fun cool riff (in my opinion of course) today and I'm very jazzed :D

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I like heads and amps. No like preamps. Though your album was great I think it would've been better with real equipment.

Oh no doubt. I would've loved to use something like an old JVM or a Bugera 6262 to record with. But money's kinda short among us all so we just worked with what we had.

@tech guys who don't get alternative tunings, whenever they say stuff like "that's not gonna work" I usually just roll my eyes and go "Just do it, I'm paying the money".

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 pm 

...And Justice For All's guitar sound is weak because all the midrange is massively scooped out, and the bass guitar is turned way down so it's not there to fill in the low end. They like to talk very loudly about how James' guitar tone and Lars' kick drums just ate up all the sonic space but it's pure shit. You can listen to parts where there is no heavy guitars and the kick drum is few and far between and you still can't hear the bass. They turned it down. That's what happens when you let Lars have his way with the mixing of the album. Huge kick drum, nothing else. I still love the album, I just wish they would turn the damn bass guitar up.

Long day, pretty sleepy, but I'm going to try to write a snippet or two before I got to bed early. I wrote lots of good Lovecraftian lyrics the other day, and apparently I have a 4 day weekend because it's veteran's day, so I'll be writing some musics this weekend as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 am 

^And it's such a waste, because Newsted's bass playing could have been at it's best in that album. Everyone loves Cliff Burton, but to me Newsted is the tightest and most metal-oriented bassist they've ever had. AJFA would have been the best Metallica album with better drumming and better production.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 pm 

So would it be possible play my guitar through a bass amp and my guitar amp? I want to do a band with my friend but I want to be a two piece and I want to be super loud and I want to know if its possible.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:42 pm 

Got a new job, and now it's becoming hard to find time to play guitar alone at home and write for the two bands I'm in, but when I finally get to pick up my guitar I'm coming up with better riffs than when I normally do. Maybe that's just has to do with not hearing the sound of me playing so frequently. Also signed up for a music theory and piano class for my next semester here at the collage of lake county so I can finally learn piano properly, and refresh my memory on music theory.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
So would it be possible play my guitar through a bass amp and my guitar amp? I want to do a band with my friend but I want to be a two piece and I want to be super loud and I want to know if its possible.

Yes it's possible, get an ABY switch. now if you are going to expect it to sound like a bass you are going to be disappointed cause that's not how it works.

somefella, I understand you work with what you have. I'm just stating my tastes more so.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm 

Well yeah of course I wouldn't expect a guitar to sound like a bass. I guess there is a band that uses an octave pedal and they play with a guitar to do guitar and bass but I just want a louder guitar sound.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:44 pm 

I'm assuming you are just using a bass cab because that's what you have avalible. Otherwise invest in more guitar gear.

I wasn't sure some people honestly think playing a guitar through bass gear will make it sound bass-y

are you using your guitar head to power both or using your bass head to power that cab?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

Not a metal band, but Local H have a guitar with a bass pickup added to it for the low strings that has a second output and gets run through a Boss octave pedal into a bass amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBHTJXuGv0

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

Yea that was one of the first bands that came to mind when he meantioned about doing it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:01 pm 

I always loved their tone. I'd love to hear a sludge band or something do a similar setup.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:33 pm 

The tone on their first album was good. the second one was a bit too clean for my taste, aside from the songs not being as great. Their tone was more suited towards that heavier grunge like Mudhoney and such.

I like my sludge dirtier.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm 

Recorded vocals to two more songs for my turning-into-gothenburg-style-melodeath new music project. I'm liking it so far. It's bringing a lot of older music influences out - when I first started trying to write decent metal I listened to a lot of arch enemy and in flames and whatnot, and it shows. So now I'm up to three completed songs, and I've got a handful of others in various stages of completion.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 pm 

I usually don't care much for that style anymore, but I'll give your's a listen.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 pm 

Yeah it can be really hit or miss in the harder metal community, as that style of metal is definitely more "user friendly" and tends to be less aggressive, and I can see it being seen as more "radio friendly" and other such adjectives. I try to at least keep some heavy rhythms in there, and I"ll try to keep the clean singing to an absolute minimum, both to keep things heavier, and because I suck at singing in general, haha.

Last edited by infinitenexus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:21 pm 

do none clean singing. make it like early Dark Tranquility

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 pm 

I only have the one song with clean singing in the chorus, when I was initially going to do it as deathcore. I can't stand deathcore, so screw that, but I do like that song so I may just leave the clean chorus. And early DT is one of my influences for this, mostly them and early in flames and some arch enemy before they turned faggy.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm 

Yeah, shoot for the early Gothenburg vibe. Those are the only albums of the style I regularly re-visit aside from Slaughter of the Soul. That album was one of the albums that defined my sophomore year of high school :P

I worked on lead playing today - which is something I never do. I feel as if my skills are building! I've been watching videos of Trey Azagthoth and Chuck Schuldiner. I dislike the more what I feel is generic styles of leads ala Dimebag or Randy Rhoads - I like the atypical scales Chuck and Trey use. While I don't think what I play is super in line with that, that's what most inspires me in metal. Aside from that it's Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 pm 

I loved slaughter of the soul except for the vocals and lyrics. The music on that album was so good, and their singer (in my opinion) just shit on everything with his falsetto death growls and shitty lyrics. I still enjoy the album, but I pretend someone else is singing on it, like peter tagtgren.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm 

Hell for at the gates I prefer The Red in the Sky is Ours. Thomas Lindberg I liked more than if it was a lower vocalist. It was more energetic and lively to me.

You might want to check out Garden of Shadows

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 pm 

The vocals on Slaughter aren't great yeah, I usually try to ignore it hahaha. That said, they were going for that style and I think they made it work reasonably well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 pm 

I thought the album wasn't that great.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm assuming you are just using a bass cab because that's what you have avalible. Otherwise invest in more guitar gear.

I wasn't sure some people honestly think playing a guitar through bass gear will make it sound bass-y

are you using your guitar head to power both or using your bass head to power that cab?

I have a guitar head and cab. My bass player just bought a head and he is getting a cab soon. Can't really afford to get another head/cab anyway. That Local H thing is cool. I want to do like death/doom with extremely an extremely down tuned guitar sound. I only want to do this because the drummer I would ask likes stuff to be REALLY LOUD. It would be fucking intense since he is one of the best in Rochester.

I don't know if this would be the best way to go through with it though so any advice would be cool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 pm 

So you really can't do anything yet without that cab.

So you are going to ask your bassist friend to use his gear but not allow him in the band? Sorry if I find that pretty shitty. I thought you had all your own gear to even ask.

being really loud doesn't really mean having both guitar and bass gear. just means more cabs on stage powered by enough heads that can safely push them without melting down or sucking down so much power that you get power fluxes that fucks up your gear while you are on stage.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm 

Well my bass player is currently using all my bass gear I have a 2x10 combo he uses as well as my bass. I would ask him to do it but being a 2-piece is better in my opinion since he is definitely not as good as I am =(.

This may not even come to fruition as I want to write a song before I even try and set this up. Doing a lot with Controlled by Fear over the next few months.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 am 

Finished my last song for this Atmospheric Black Metal album. Right around 7:34. 3 songs completely finished, aside from the vocals on this last one, and my band mate is gonna throw some nice keys on these. Altogether they end up around 25 minutes or something. Now I just gotta wait for my band mate to finish writing and recording his songs, however many it is he's doing. He's got one that I think is completely finished as of right now, but I'm not sure if he was wanting to change anything or not. Really enjoying how these have turned out, as I've always wanted to do some more Atmospheric stuff. Took a bunch of sweet photos around my property the other day that we're going to use for album art that that really sets the tone for the music I think.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

Is he using it in your other band? Then still to me that's fair enough... you wanted a bassist, you found someone able body to play. So you are trading your use of equipment for his ability to perform with you.

This might feel like it's pay back to you, maybe he will to. I just know how I would respond if you asked which would be to piss off.

Well infinite, got 2 more breaking wheel drum tracks completed for you. I think there are only 4 left. I'm hoping they are more like track 3... meaning shorter. hahah. took care of 4 & 5 this morning. Might be going this afternoon to see about the rest. and then I should be having practice with Dragunov.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

Okay went back to the shed... uhm I guess the others I thought was your songs as well was some stuff I had recorded long back for Bunker Buster... so I don't know if there is any more songs outside of the 5. I thought it was more like 9? I don't know, either way if there is more they are somewhere on my home computer and if it's only the 5 then that's all done.

So with my time there i wrote 4 KP songs for the Short ep that was going to be for the song writing challenge about a narrative. I want 2-3 more and I'll be happy.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 pm 

I think I sent you a total of 5 songs, but I asked you to send me just some drum beats of your own, like write a song on drums and send it to me, and I'll write the guitar parts around your drum beats. Even if they're only 17 seconds like, that's fine (would actually be kinda cool). If you don't have time I may just piece together a drumbeat of yours and write some blasting grind to it.

Found an old song I wrote years back when I first started listening to good metal and first started trying to write decent stuff. Around 2008 or so. It's perfect for my new gothenburg melodeath stuff. It's ridiculously gothenburgey harmonized. I'm having fun writing this, and the lyrics are super easy to write - just read some lovecraft, a lot of his stuff is worded perfectly for metal. In a bit it'll be time for a glass of wine or three and grilling some nice grass-fed steaks I got, then more music. Just gotta redo the guitars on this song first.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 185  Next