Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 am 

I find that the stories behind these sorts of bands can be really interesting, but I'm already familiar with most of the super-famous ones in metal (Sororicide's The Entity, basically everything that Moonblood ever released, etc.) and I'd like to find some more of these outside of the metal spectrum - I know they exist in other genres for sure, but I feel like these are the sort of things one only discovers once they've thoroughly examined the genre in question so it's rather hard for me to find any.

I was introduced to one today by a friend - the original 12" EP pressing of Pilots, a release by a minimalistic synthpop outfit named The Short Wave Mystery. If you want a copy of the original pressing, apparently ordering one from Discogs will cost you no less than $378, where its wants-to-owns ratio is a little over 5:1. Jesus. So, what other bands or albums like this are there out there in the non-metal world? Ideally this shouldn't be about, say, first-pressing copies of otherwise famous albums - the band or album should be obscure to the point where at least part of its impact or notoriety in its respective scene is due to its difficulty to acquire. Show me what you've got!

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 am 

I read this thread, thought of the first power electronics band from the 80s that came to mind and checked the "for sale" link at discogs, and the first thing that jumped in my eye was this: http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Variou ... ev=bp_titl

Took about five seconds. :P

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 am 

Holyyy shiiit drone! Mayhem (for Pure Fucking Armageddon) directly lifted (or share) that cover art for their demo :o Sorry for being off topic, but I just couldn't let that go.

To be more on topic, I would be interested to see what other albums/bands/genres are thrown around in here...

My collection

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 am 

Chain Reaction ( experimental techno label) stuff is fairly sought after, I've seen some of the 12"s go for £20 or more and the CDs for about double that sometimes.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:14 pm 

I recall the first QOTSA record being out of print for years before they reissued it in late 2011. That's one I would have payed an arm and leg for. A lot more people seem to have come to appreciate it's legacy in light of that reissue.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 pm 

There's a lot of free jazz records that go for really high prices. Milford Graves & Don Pullen - Live at Yale University exceeds $900 usually, with the highest auction on Popsike showing up as $2036.

Also, stuff like that power electronics comp can be a little misleading. The highest price that it has ever sold for on Discogs is listed as $155, and there's a few people selling that LP for way less than $1000. That said, there's plenty of power electronics and industrial releases that have exorbitant prices.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 pm 

The Boards of Canada L.P's (electronica) were selling for $300+ in some cases until they were re-released recently.

Brighter Death Now's "Great Death" box set used to go for a packet, although it seems to have come down in price a bit now.

Lots of Power electronics, Neofolk, Martial Industrial and similar commands some hefty prices. I could probably buy a reasonable 2nd hand car if I sold my Death in June L.P's for example. COIL LP's seem to take the cake for being ridiculously expensive.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 am 

Original decca pressings of Leaf hounds growers of mushroom can easily sell for thousands of dollars.
http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch. ... =&currsel=

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Lots of Power electronics, Neofolk, Martial Industrial and similar commands some hefty prices. I could probably buy a reasonable 2nd hand car if I sold my Death in June L.P's for example. COIL LP's seem to take the cake for being ridiculously expensive.

Some at least deserve the high price. There's that limited edition of Brown Book in a "case" made from soap stone with stitched (I think) fabric inlays and all, quite awesome.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:24 am 

A lot of neo folk/post industrial/experimental electronic artists like Death in June, Current 93, Coil, Nurse With Wound, Sol Invictus etc have many limited/rare releases on their own labels that go for obscene amounts - up to $1000 and people line up to buy it, hardcore fans. Thankfully I don't like any of those groups except Coil - I have 24 of their albums valued between $15-150 each. Most are around $50, not super expensive but there's so fucking many of them. I cannot fork over the $1000+ for the Colour Sound Oblivion box set though unless I strike it rich somehow. Their releases got a lot pricier once both the founding members died and the label went under. I also have a bunch of ambient techno that's hard to find and pricy, Pete Namlook, early Biosphere etc.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 am 

I've only ever seen 2 copies of Home by the Gathering on vinyl for sale. One went for $150 on ebay, and the other was 125 euros on discogs. Luckily someone I know sold me his spare copy of it for £60, completed my collection at least, even if that's still about $100.

Most I ever paid for music was £100 for Devin Townsend's by a thread DVD/CD boxset. Really expensive, but 9 discs at the end of the day, so not like I paid that just for one disc.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm 

Brant Bjork - Jalamanta seems like one that's always overly expensive. Hell, I think there's a crappy promo copy that never sells on Ebay for $50.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:36 pm 

Boards of Canada vinyl is quite pricey.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:34 am 

I wished I had saved it, because I came across some underground hip-hop CD from the early 90's (all I can remember is that the insert was a plain white background with some blue lines and font and maybe a picture, almost resembled medical packaging) that went for $1000+ on eBay. Not sure if there are a lot of albums in that genre that are similarly expensive.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 pm 

I cannot find The Brando's latter day albums like Nowhere Zone anywhere. Excluding cheating with Amazon of course.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:06 pm 

My all-time favourite album, the soundtrack for the film "Gothic" (directed by the late Ken Russell). It was originally released in 1987, but was discontinued a couple of years later. It's a rarity these days, and once in a while you can find a copy on eBay, for never less than 60us$. I'd love to get a copy one day.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 pm 

Windom Earle wrote:
Boards of Canada vinyl is quite pricey.

Not any more! All albums and EP's re-issued by warp in October/November.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Reply to topic