Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:33 pm 

http://cryptsermon.bandcamp.com/

A new American epic doom band, their first demo will be out in December on Dark Descent! Pretty cool.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
but the transition being made with such a bad ass riff that I don't mind how transparent it is.

Yeah, except I've never heard anything I'd call a "bad ass riff" from The Black, ever. I mean, I haven't heard everything they've done - any song in particular stand out?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm 

Nope, no specific songs to recommend. I understand now that they weren't being discussed because everyone finds them terminally average, not as a lack of awareness.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 pm 

I don't think they're average at all, it's more because they're pretty damn weird and obscure and their lyrics aren't in English. The whole Italian doom scene is underrated and I'm planning a review series of it soon enough!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

Well yeah I mean I know you dig em, not trying to downplay that. But I understand now that I wasn't opening anyones eyes to them.

Either way I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into some full releases. I love that they haven't succumb to the old guy disease of packing too much into each album just because you can. Golgotha is short, and Peccatis whatever the fuck looks like two sub-40 minute albums.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I love that they haven't succumb to the old guy disease of packing too much into each album just because you can. Golgotha is short, and Peccatis whatever the fuck looks like two sub-40 minute albums.

You haven't discovered the album Gorgoni then? Almost 80 minutes long. :wink: Ironically it's one of the easiest to get into if you're a doom fan and the first one I would recommend to a newbie, hmm.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:57 am 

Damn it! Happens to everyone eventually I guess. Sounds like it's pretty accessible, it just takes a really special album to hold my attention for that length of time (For Mircalla, Crush the Insects). I'll probably avoid it unless I just fall in love with all their other stuff.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 am 

Can anyone recommend me some epic doom with strong power metal elements. I am thinking in the vein of bands like Sorcerer and Dantesco.

Imraotnh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hey guys. I am interested in bands that combine Black Sabbath/Electric Wizard type of doom with light 60's psychedelic rock endless jaming (think of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive, Grateful Dead etc). Do you something in mind?

Last edited by Metantoine on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to the doom help thread.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm 

Imraotnh wrote:
Hey guys. I am interested in bands that combine Black Sabbath/Electric Wizard type of doom with light 60's psychedelic rock endless jaming (think of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive, Grateful Dead etc). Do you something in mind?

Earthless

Samsara Blues Experiment

Orange Sunshine

Acid Mothers Temple and the Cosmic Inferno
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 pm 

Check out Obelyskkh, awesome psych stoner/doom

Woburn House, not very Sabbathesque or EWesque but great psych stoner

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 pm 

oh man .. Woburn House. Completely forgot about them!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Check out Obelyskkh, awesome psych stoner/doom

Obelyskkh rules! I've yet to check out the new album. Been hearing really good things about it.

Imraotnh wrote:

Few other recs for you:

Eagle Twin

Wo Fat

Kongh

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Korova
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:59 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some epic doom with strong power metal elements. I am thinking in the vein of bands like Sorcerer and Dantesco.

Memory Garden from Sweden!

Anyone who have The Black - Gorgoni 2lp (silver pressing in canvas sleeve) for trade or sale?

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 am 

While Heaven Wept have always had power metal tendencies in their sound. I'd also recommend Memento Mori but not too strongly.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:

Yeah, Vein! They haven't released much material though.

Imraotnh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I've heard most of those groups and while they don't jam like Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd (Earthless are heavier than any 60's band for instance), they are very good.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 pm 

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am 

There's a thread from a while ago, I think the Psychedelic Blues thread. I'll link it here because it had tons of doomy and bluesy songs, as well as one of the greatest YouTube channels I've ever come across.

http://static.metal-archives.com/~metal ... 6&start=40

http://www.youtube.com/user/ObeyTheRiff Here's the badass channel

Also in any of you are enticed by the concept of an alternative/indie doom metal band, there's Royal Thunder. Female fronted and all.

HomicidalBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:07 pm 

If someone could help me it would be highly appreciated. I am looking for doom metal with a dark atmosphere and lyrical themes like depression, I won't mind bands with different lyrical themes but this is preferred. Something along the lines of Candlemass's debut

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:22 am 

HomicidalBreath wrote:
If someone could help me it would be highly appreciated. I am looking for doom metal with a dark atmosphere and lyrical themes like depression, I won't mind bands with different lyrical themes but this is preferred. Something along the lines of Candlemass's debut

If you're unaware of it, Solstice's debut should be right up your alley. Check a song out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgQhbtN2wc

Marky Mark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:48 pm 

Imraotnh wrote:

This band is relatively well known within the underground experimental metal scene so you may know of them already, but Ufomammut may be worth checking out. They have elements of psychedelic rock and doom metal. They may be lacking the light 60's jamming but based off of your examples you may like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHeHsAiFdT4

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

Just dropped by to recommend a local band from my country

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Meepeth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm 

I'm looking for some atmospheric sludge like Isis' Panopticon or Cult of Luna's Somewhere Along the Highway. Not necessarily dark, but with an almost surreal feeling. Anyone able to recommend something please?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:04 pm 

Meepeth wrote:
I'm looking for some atmospheric sludge like Isis' Panopticon or Cult of Luna's Somewhere Along the Highway. Not necessarily dark, but with an almost surreal feeling. Anyone able to recommend something please?

This album might suit your needs. ;)

PS: This one too.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:45 am 

Not too dissimilar from those bands mentioned, Mouth of the Architect perhaps? I enjoy The Ties that Bind a fair bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls9HgcSX ... DZyBxmZ3bn

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:06 pm 

Meepeth wrote:

Meepeth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:39 pm 

Thanks guys, so far every band recommended I've enjoyed, especially Rosetta. Appreciate it.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm 

Hey people, I'm looking for any Doom metal song with fast drumming.
I'm not looking for fast passages in Doom songs, I'm looking for a typical doom song (guitar and vocal wise) with fast drumming (techincal or not, does not really matter).
As this request fits on both Doom thread, I will duplicate this one there.
If you are going to aswer in this thread, please keep the recs within sludge/stoner and trad doom
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:26 am 

^ Check out Cathedral's mid-career works (The Ethereal Mirror - Caravan Beyond Redemption)

Rev Bizarre's second album.

Trouble's first album Psalm 9

Confessor

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 am 

Meepeth wrote:
Thanks guys, so far every band recommended I've enjoyed, especially Rosetta. Appreciate it.

You're welcome dude. The Galilean Satellites is one of my all time fav albums. Too bad this band is not accepted in MA

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:03 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Meepeth wrote:

SLUDGE? Post-metal.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:13 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

SLUDGE? Post-metal.

He said he's looking for bands like Isis and Cult of Luna. If you don't hear any similarity its your problem. He likes it so I guess my rec isn't an epic fail.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:52 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
SLUDGE? Post-metal.

Try again. And it's usually considered a bad attitude if you just smear other people's recs without adding anything to the table.

I'll stop minimoding now.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 pm 

Imraotnh wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I've heard most of those groups and while they don't jam like Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd (Earthless are heavier than any 60's band for instance), they are very good.

There's Vinum Sabbatum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6v9k2cIJl0

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:16 pm 

androdion wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
SLUDGE? Post-metal.

Try again. And it's usually considered a bad attitude if you just smear other people's recs without adding anything to the table.

I'll stop minimoding now.

I don't have to try again and I'm not having a bad attitude for saying one was off when it comes to the genre played. The recommendations were spot-on, but they are just not sludge bands. That's all.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I don't have to try again and I'm not having a bad attitude for saying one was off when it comes to the genre played. The recommendations were spot-on, but they are just not sludge bands. That's all.

More often than not similar bands will have different genre tags, and what do you know?! They'll still share aesthetic and/or musical similarities. Like Sonne Adam/Necros Christos to give out an extreme example where it just doesn't seem to fit.

And yes, you do need to try again if you think that Rosetta is metal. It's as much metal as Caspian or Red Sparowes. Curiously the later is similar to Isis in many ways, and again their genres are very different.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 pm 

androdion wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

More often than not similar bands will have different genre tags, and what do you know?! They'll still share aesthetic and/or musical similarities. Like Sonne Adam/Necros Christos to give out an extreme example where it just doesn't seem to fit.

And yes, you do need to try again if you think that Rosetta is metal. It's as much metal as Caspian or Red Sparowes. Curiously the later is similar to Isis in many ways, and again their genres are very different.

I was referring to Cult Of Luna and Isis, not about Rosetta. I said Rosetta was spot-on, even if they're not in the same genre. You misunderstood what I wrote. Take care ;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 pm 

Well, if I did then I apologize for the blunt response. It's cool bro, carry on. ;)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:35 pm 

androdion wrote:
Well, if I did then I apologize for the blunt response. It's cool bro, carry on. ;)

I'm not saying that Cult Of Luna and Isis have no sludge influences at all but to name them sludge would be kind of odd. Sludge is very straight-forward doomy punk/hardcore, while earlier mentioned bands reach way further than just that. They explore a broad spectrum in metal. Hence the name post-metal. I hate genres, but hey. I just think you'd do those bands short. I prefer gritty sludge, though:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 133  Next