Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I think there's a joke in here that I can't identify.

It’s murky and poorly-defined, just like personal boundaries in a good game of Twister.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:16 pm 

Quote:
One day I was giving a stirring speech to legalize marijuana on the white house lawn in front of hundreds of thousands of people! Suddenly someone in the crowd handed me a joint and I jokingly took it! I took a single puff and instantly got reefer madness! I went on an insane violent rampage, limbs and blood flying about, hallucinating and ranting about chemtrails and infotoxins! I was finally subdued after I curled into a ball, believing myself to be an orange! Fifteen years later after hundreds of failed medication regimens and therapy sessions a psychiatrist put down his copy of freakonomics and suddenly said "Picture your bliss!" I snapped up to look at him as I pictured my bliss and my psychosis faded away! "Quick," he said "here is your Garfield plush from when you were a kid!" As I looked at the worn doll all my repressed memories came back! I then stood up and effortlessly ripped off my straight jacket and smashed through the asylum walls and headed off to give another speech affirming my commitment to marijuana legalization!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
ranting about chemtrails and infotoxins

This is definitely my favourite autobiographical story you've posted on here, bravo sir! :lol:

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 am 

From this weeks news,

Spoiler: show
Quote:
"There has to be something wrong when you can’t deliver a pizza without being stabbed and killed"

There is something very wrong with this country, I've been watching it degenerate with increasing concern

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:20 am 

Murders have never happened in Britain before.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:24 am 

I wonder what BBC had to say on the matter.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:26 am 

the brussels broadcasting corporation, you mean?

Ilwhyan wrote:

It's the increasing regularity, and soft sentencing that concern many

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 am 

mindshadow wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

It's the increasing regularity, and soft sentencing that concern many

Has the murder rate actually gone up? People always say that about it here in Finland - as well as about other violent crime - but the statistics say that in general those rates have dropped since the 80s. It's just the (yellow) press that reports them more so people get the impression that they are more regular.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:43 am 

Statistics are manipulated, hard to come up with a true figure anymore. I could fill several pages with news to give credence to what I'm saying but I feel too much information would just be dismissed as alarmist.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 am 

Statistics are unreliable, but your medial focus is representative?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:52 am 

A challenge, I accept.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 am 

Britain has some of the safest pizzas in Europe... but dis is the AUTOBAHN!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:26 am 

Standing in line and freezing my ass off in the rain waiting for Hot Dougs to open so I can get duck fat fries. So worth it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:39 am 

mindshadow wrote:
Statistics are manipulated, hard to come up with a true figure anymore. I could fill several pages with news to give credence to what I'm saying but I feel too much information would just be dismissed as alarmist.

Statistics are manipulated and unreliable yet newsmedias - which rely on crowd interest and are as much or perhaps even more likely to exaggerate these things in comparison to the statisticians - are more reliable? Especially since all the newsmedia reports are anecdotal rather than scientific or methodical? I mean, I can understand your claim that the statistics are manipulated, but I can't fathom why you would think that anecdotal news stories about murder here and murder there as gathered by you would be in anyway more reliable.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
but I can't fathom why you would think that anecdotal news stories about murder here and murder there as gathered by you would be in anyway more reliable

This was yet another senseless murder. It's the frequency which they're happening, I feel we're becoming more like the states every year.

Last edited by mindshadow on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:09 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
This was yet another senseless murder. It's the frequency which they're happening, I feel we're becoming more like the states every year. There's been a rise in knife related crime.
I don't think deterrents are strong enough, I want people to be scared to commit a serious crime(especially), not know they'll be out in a year or two, or get off with a "few" hours community service. I want people to be made to listen to victims and be confronted with the harsh reality of the misery they cause others.
We shouldn't tolerate violence in our society, and let those know who do commit violent acts, they're going to ruin not just someone else's life, but also their own.

You aren't addressing MacMoney's post, but instread rambing about something unrelated to his point as if making a great strawman. I don't think anyone is questioning whether a rise in violent crimes is fundamentally worrying, but rather that your perception of what sources of information are reliable seems skewed.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 pm 

oh, my quote links to the Daily Mail, I understand now. Cross reference the story to confirm. In the very dark years under a regime (a very apt word to describe what should've only been a democratic body - the present one isn't much better), the Daily Mail was one of the only papers to print articles which highlighted what was/is going on (yes and also can be accused of exageration and sensationalism - which is why I always cross reference news stories).
A few others quickly became notable for their silence (and worse) on such matters, and gained a reputation. You feel aligned with papers that are criticised, and find trouble in believing anyone who may question them? So - mindshadow sometimes quotes from the mail = automatically wrong/not to be believed.

I don't post articles in order to be confrontational, I simply want people to know the truth about how things are here.

Last edited by mindshadow on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:35 pm 

Again, you're addressing all the wrong points. The reliability of the news itself is not under question here. I don't doubt that such a murder happened. Just because murders happen and papers write about them doesn't mean that we're living in the endtimes, though.

I don't read the British press, but I'm quite sure that when it comes to reliable news sources, Daily Mail is not the prime example. I have read and heard much and more criticism of it being a sensationalist, shoehorning yellow press rag that's unapologetically motivated solely by commercial interests. The British yellow press is infamous abroad. I'm more inclined to believe statistics, because as opposed to sensationalist journalism, it isn't actively fear-mongering and distorting facts, and its sole purpose is not to sell as many items as possible through whatever means possible. I'm not interested in hearing what conspiracy you think is behind manipulating statistics to lull people into a false sense of safety that is unable to silence these warning messages from a paper whose only loyalty is profit (and can be bought out so easily).

Edit: At the same time, if violent crimes are reallt becoming more frequent in Great Britain, I have no grounds to deny that.

Last edited by hakarl on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:39 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
oh, my quote links to the Daily Mail, I understand now. Cross reference the story to confirm. In the very dark years under a regime (a very apt word to describe what should've only been a democratic body - the present one isn't much better), the Daily Mail was one of the only papers to print articles which highlighted what was/is going on (yes and also can be accused of exageration and sensationalism - which is why I always cross reference news stories).
A few others quickly became notable for their silence (and worse) on such matters, and gained a reputation. You feel aligned with papers that are criticised, and find trouble in believing anyone who may question them?

Your quote doesn't link to anything. It maybe lifted from something, but I'm not going to start googling everything you write. I don't know about British newspapers, their reliability or credibility. I'm just saying that stories in newspapers - which always rely on popular sales instead of peer review - will write what sells. They thrive on creating hysteria and raising concern in people. Newspapers have their bias too. I'm just saying that if statistics get screwed with by government, why wouldn't the news in newspapers - or any media - by the people running them? And even if they aren't, these are still just anecdotal evidence without any kind of study behind them.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:42 pm 

Ilwyan - Ok, how about believing someone who lives here? (who feels inclined to post news articles to back up claims, knowing their word on sensitive issues will never be believed by a few people who are entrenched in their own views, who will seek to automatically malign anyone saying anything different).

MacMoney wrote:
Your quote doesn't link to anything. It maybe lifted from something, but I'm not going to start googling everything you write. I don't know about British newspapers, their reliability or credibility. I'm just saying that stories in newspapers - which always rely on popular sales instead of peer review - will write what sells. They thrive on creating hysteria and raising concern in people. Newspapers have their bias too. I'm just saying that if statistics get screwed with by government, why wouldn't the news in newspapers - or any media - by the people running them? And even if they aren't, these are still just anecdotal evidence without any kind of study behind them.

Yes this is true, but there's a strong and growing concensus that the country's fucked (sorry to be blunt but I have been trying to spell it out for you for many months now, and I feel my motive for doing so is often under question, rather than the issues I'm raising).

Last edited by mindshadow on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:48 pm 

Well, I believe you are genuinely concerned. I don't know how things are, and I'm not going to claim that they are contrary to what you're claiming just because your reasoning seems rather off (in this matter). So far, what I've tried to say is just that: your reasoning is off.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm 

That many murders happen is undeniable, that they may be increasing in the UK is possible (yes, we need data), that if this were true it constitutes a problem, yes I agree. Citing the Mail is hugely problematic though because of how, as others have alluded or speculated, it steps beyond objective reporting, it sensationalises issues, and worst it feeds its bile and bigotry into claimed and misleading causes...mass immigration, "feral youth", black teenagers, failing inner city schools, benefit "scroungers", homosexual marriage, certain medical treatments, the list goes on and on and on. It is a despicable rag, and though the paper clearly does report mostly the same events as all other papers (hence why Mindshadow you're right to cross-reference) it is the subsequent spin they put on these events which makes it such a reprehensible and dangerous form of media in the UK. The worst part is that people still read it...

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:12 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
That many murders happen is undeniable, that they may be increasing in the UK is possible (yes, we need data), that if this were true it constitutes a problem, yes I agree. Citing the Mail is hugely problematic though because of how, as others have alluded or speculated, it steps beyond objective reporting, it sensationalises issues, and worst it feeds its bile and bigotry into claimed and misleading causes...mass immigration, "feral youth", black teenagers, failing inner city schools, benefit "scroungers", homosexual marriage, certain medical treatments, the list goes on and on and on. It is a despicable rag, and though the paper clearly does report mostly the same events as all other papers (hence why Mindshadow you're right to cross-reference) it is the subsequent spin they put on these events which makes it such a reprehensible and dangerous form of media in the UK. The worst part is that people still read it...

I question anyone's motives who only attack the mail, as they can all be guilty of persuing their own agenda, yet it speaks volumes when some steadfastly refuse to mention other main news providers, I suspect because of their political leaning.

I can think of at least two papers that should be shut down that are guilty of mis-leading the public.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:59 pm 

I can now call myself a Mercedes-Benz owner:
Spoiler: show

Took me two years to get my license back and another vehicle. Feels goooooood...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
You aren't addressing MacMoney's post, but instread rambing about something unrelated to his point as if making a great strawman.

Eventually building into a veritable scarecrow.

I can't remember seeing you actually cross reference news, mindshadow. In general you link to one article only.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:09 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Britain has some of the safest pizzas in Europe...

"Don't trip and die,
on a big pizza pie,
that's amore!"

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:38 pm 

Anyone on here play Doom 2 with mods? The Russian Overkill mod and Ketchup mod are an amazing combination (super overpowered weapons and tons of extra blood and gore).

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:31 pm 

I remember my first internet experience would've been in 1997 and I'm born in 1987.
I remember being on the Goosebumps forum and making a Hotmail email which I only really made to use MSN Messenger 1.0 I believe.

I can't imagine there's too many people who still have access to an email address that was made in 1997 though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Anyone on here play Doom 2 with mods? The Russian Overkill mod and Ketchup mod are an amazing combination (super overpowered weapons and tons of extra blood and gore).

I just recently beat Final DOOM Evilution and Plutonia. Took me weeks of off and on playing, I kept getting so frustrated especially with Plutonia. The maps are for the most part amazing but the pattern got a bit stale, especially with the lame gimmick of every time you walk into a room the door behind you closes and you get trapped in a crossfire of chaingunners. I saw some videos of something called "Brutal DOOM" which altered the game's aiming system to a more traditional FPS and added a ton of gore and finishing moves with berserk mode. It was pretty hilarious.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:31 am 

A fan of the band sent us this image he found of our album on Amazon just now.

Bluesky Store does this all the time. Someone posted a screen cap a little while ago of an album being sold on there for over $7000. It's fucking ridiculous.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:45 am 

Well, as long as there are collectors out there willing to fork out such money on stuff, sellers of opportunity will continue to put 'em up at insane prices.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 am 

Subrick, particularly when that album isn't even worth $3.76. They've got the decimal point at least 5 points too far to the right.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Well, as long as there are collectors out there willing to fork out such money on stuff, sellers of opportunity will continue to put 'em up at insane prices.

The only way I could see this particular hypothesis making sense is because that particular version of the album is no longer in print and will never be in print again. Even then, though, nobody should pay $3800 for it, and this is coming from a guy in the band whose album is being sold by those people at that price.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:32 am 

Yanni confirmed for MDF?!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:35 am 

niix wrote:
Yanni confirmed for MDF?!

Bahahaha, I'd love to see the Facebook comment thread for that announcement!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:54 am 

Wait what? :scratch:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 am 

What baffles me about mindshadow is that he constantly goes on and on about how his immigration pet issue clearly shows that Britain is a dictatorship, but then seemingly doesn't care about stuff like this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/ ... 131101?p=1
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/ ... WQ20131028
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am 

Normal levels of immigration are good for a country no one can reasonably argue otherwise

Last edited by mindshadow on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:15 am 

I remember in my hometown there's an incredible Mexican restaurant that everyone loves. The food there is delicious, the service is great, and the people who work there are very nice. If you know Spanish you can even try speaking it with them and they won't get offended! Anyway, a while ago the restaurant got shut down because the people working there turned out to be illegal immigrants. I was pretty pissed off about this, as was everyone in my family and anyone who has been to the restaurant before. Eventually it re-opened and everything was straightened out! I will never understand the problem that some people have with immigration. I could write volumes on the subject... but I'm going to stop here, as I feel I've already illustrated my point.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:48 am 

mindshadow wrote:
It's not just mass immigration and how it's helping take away our democracy and forcing people to work for a pittance, exploting everyone including immigrants themselves (try buying a house or flat earning the minumum wage - or renting for that matter), it's everything - including what you've posted. We live in a surveillance society.

How precisely is this true? There's more in your post I think is completely wrong, but let's start small, eh?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 518  Next