Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:29 am 

So I left Facebook in August of 2012 because all I really did with it was troll, and it got boring. I returned to it on the anniversary of my departure this year to see what was going on with old friends and the like, and I'll admit, it was handy for reconnecting with a few people I hadn't talked to for a hot minute.

But now, I'm growing bored of it again. After the first day or two, there ceases to be enough incentive for me to keep dicking around on it. However, it does have one handy element that I wish to keep constant in my life: music-related posts. As in, updates from all of the bands/music artists that I have liked on there.

What I want to do, more or less, is have my music app send me an e-mail when a band makes a new post, or, better yet, get a weekly e-mail that sums up all music-related posts for a given week. At that point, I'd basically like to disable any notifications for anything else.

I looked in the notification settings, but cannot find a way to do this specifically. All of this shit relates solely to friends, their likes, photos, &c.

Any ideas on what I should do?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 am 

Why don't you create another account to follow only bands and don't add any of your friends or family on it. Let your personal account be dormant for as long as you don't feel the need to peer into your e-social life.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 am 

If you're using a pc, just bookmark your wall. Most of the posts from bands on mine just advertise their new album with an amazon, or just a few sentence diary during a tour. If you're looking for news, you'd probably be better off looking here.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:32 am 

Band promotion is the reason social networking gets fucked up. Or any promotion in general. I visit music news sites daily for my band info...I don't need that shit on FB. Which, hilariously, I only use to promote my talk radio show and talk to chicks. I have every friend blocked on FB so my newsfeed is always empty.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 am 

I think Facebook might be trying to shift all page updates to a separate feed, because on the new Facebook page I started, it didn't show any band updates and said, "you need to add friends!" My page is also fairly dormant, so I know I need to update it. Anyway, there might be separate email updates for each page. Not sure about a daily or weekly digest.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:37 pm 

You can manually choose whose posts you want to see in news feed. Granted, it involves more effort than simply creating a new user, but at least you retain the ability to communicate with your friends via private messages should the need arise.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm 

I use facebook like I would a mobile, check for messages that may interest me and if not then I'll just go about my day. Once in awhile I might message others if I have something important, interesting or funny to say. The trick is to not get too attached to it because it can come across as a really selfish and self absorbed vessel. It seems OP that you're using it as an entertainment source when that's not it's true intention. Rather than take an extreme and delete it, keep it around and check it once a week. Visit proper sites that are made to entertain and aren't littered with amateur comedians.

In the case of music related updates, make sure you have selected each update you want to see because facebook automatically turned them all off around the start of the year. If that doesn't work you're gonna have to do something totally out there and crazy and actually visit their facebook pages.

FLEAM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 am 

Im bored witless of facebook. I get off it more pissed off than I went on. Im sick of seeing the same people post something 20 times a day, but they are all useful contacts for my shady dealings.
Otherwise its great for band info, especially smaller bands, and Ive used the secret group function to organise things with other bands/interviewees.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:47 am 

I don't get what's the big problem with Facebook. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends you don't see often and for organising events. Sure, some people use it like a diary and post inane things, but you can just block them.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 pm 

I do have a few annoyances: sometimes on my wall, I get "news" from suggested sites, and when I try to hear a song, there's a lot of "Like required". I end up going to youtube.

sea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 pm 

Last edited by sea on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 am 

Twitter is a way better tool for following news/bands/etc. Most labels, zines and bands have it these days.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 am 

I posted this question in another forum and some people there suggested Twitter as well. I dislike Twitter as a business model, but fuck it, I might just take a look at it. We'll see.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:03 am 

I only have facebook to chat with friends. I don't use my real name or personal info though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 am 

I thought you could only deactivate Facebook rather than flat out delete it. I've tried many times, unsuccessfully, to get away from facebook but I always end up reactivating because all it takes is one click and everything is back the way it was. If it was gonna make me start completely over with everything, I'd be like screw it.

But yeah, I only use it to see band's updates and to post music links that only like 5 friends on there would ever click on.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 am 

I'd recommend staying off facebook since the people there are obviously not up to the challenge of amusing a great troll. You could do exactly what you said, just follow the feeds you want and not the things you don't want, but why take my or your own advice?

Reply to topic