Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Atropus wrote:
:???:

I just got finished saying why I had a hard time calling Corrupted sludge.

They sound nothing like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Neurosis(well, maybe a little) etc.

I don't know in how far you've extensively listened to Corrupted, but they've explored several genres. Some prime examples of sludge tracks, even though they don't necessarily sound exactly the same:

I can see the similarity in song structure and the grimy sound. Still, I think their noticeable doom/death elements and lack of rock influences really set them apart from the other bands.

Not only that, but their full-lengths sound way different, as do their live shows. Their second album is purely funeral doom to these ears.

Chew doesn't care about what genre Corrupted fall into anyhow. The important thing for him is always bringing in new influences and new sounds, which is basically the main ideology the band follows: never to make the same album twice.

heron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 pm 

693 wrote:
I should like Tool, because I love alternative metal/rock, but I can't get myself to like this band. I can listen to a song or 2 and, think they are ok, but a whole album is impossible. And believe me, I have really tried to like this band, but it is useless. I have a feeling I would like this band more if it was fronted by Mike Patton or if I was a weed smoker.

I like Ghost, And I really shouldn't, because I don't like gimmicky bands or retro bands. But I can't help myself digging some of their tracks.

Tool whilst under the influence is top notch.

Metantoine wrote:
heron wrote:
I enjoy Opeth's first two albums more than anything else in their discography, despite those albums often being considered some one their weakest by Opeth fans. I think it's the black metal-esque atmosphere that turns me on.

Since when? It's widely considered to be some of their best material, well they're my 2 favs alongside MAYH and Still Life and I'm a pretty huge fan. Apparently Mikael isn't a fan of Orchid and Morningrise but the TRVE Opeth fans are!

Despite liking Black Witchery, I can't get into Revenge at all, I think they're pretty awful. Kind of weird. And I don't know why I'm not the biggest Bathory fan, perhaps Quorthon's singing?

Reviews on other sites/Opeth fans, etc.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm 

This is a good source!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Cover band? What am I reading. :lol: Bon Scott defined AC/DC, and after he passed away, it was just, let's see, every integral member of the band continuing. The Young brothers and Rudd playing covers of their own songs?

The AC/DC that emerged after Bon's death had lost everything I love about AC/DC... the heart was gone, I don't know if they still believed in what they were doing but I sure as fuck couldn't ... in my opinion they no longer posessed the same hunger, integrity or artistic drive they once had... they music just didn't seem real anymore... they became a parody of what they "thought" they were supposed to be... an for that reason I can't see them as anything but a tribute band...

Whether it was just Bon that made them special... or if it was that he brought out something in the others I don't know... but whatever it was... it was gone...

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 am 

I love Brian Johnson's style and attitude so much more than Bonny. Sorry, yo!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 am 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Cover band? What am I reading. :lol: Bon Scott defined AC/DC, and after he passed away, it was just, let's see, every integral member of the band continuing. The Young brothers and Rudd playing covers of their own songs?

The AC/DC that emerged after Bon's death had lost everything I love about AC/DC... the heart was gone, I don't know if they still believed in what they were doing but I sure as fuck couldn't ... in my opinion they no longer posessed the same hunger, integrity or artistic drive they once had... they music just didn't seem real anymore... they became a parody of what they "thought" they were supposed to be... an for that reason I can't see them as anything but a tribute band...

Whether it was just Bon that made them special... or if it was that he brought out something in the others I don't know... but whatever it was... it was gone...

I see. I can respect that, though I don't find that to be any particular watershed in their career. I've never warmed to the band more than in the sense that it's some fairly enjoyable stuff I could listen to while driving or drinking beer, for example.

Bassman35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:16 am 

Dream Theater. I know how good they are, and I love bands like Symphony X, Angra, Opeth, Ayreon, Adrenaline Mob, etc., but I can't enjoy Dream Theater (Except Myung's bass solos and their cover of To Tame A Land). Maybe it's LaBrie's voice. Infinitely prefer Russel Allen.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm 

Tool
Deathspell Omega
Opeth

the list is endless

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:01 am 

KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
.... bracing myself for an onslaught of abuse...

Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

What? I can't recall Iron Maiden singing about dragons at any time through their entire history, but I might be wrong...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:58 am 

Maybe I posted something like this before, but can't really remember...

Drowning the Light: I have multiple releases by this band and I really enjoy some of the songs, but never seem to make it through a full album without getting bored. I like good DSBM once in awhile when I'm in the mood for it, but for some reason DTL never sticks, maybe it's too keyboard driven, I don't know. Any suggestions on their best album(s)?

Merrimack: I think I have most of their albums, but when shuffling them with the rest of my library I never notice when a Merrimack song is played. None of their songs have ever made me stop and actually check what band I'm listening to.

Schattenvald: What I've heard from this band I really like, but am still uncertain on buying the albums... Again there may be a bit too much keyboard for me, but the riffs and atmosphere still have me very interested.

IceBeam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:11 am 

I would say that the three worst offenders in bands that I like are DragonForce, Nightwish, and Arghoslent. The first two are controversial, of course, because a lot of people deem them "not metal enough" or something, and the third, because the lyrics cause epic butthurt, even among supposedly hardened metalheads.

I would say that in terms of what I don't like: I don't like American-style thrash metal. It's not that I hate it, it's just that it does absolutely nothing for me. Aside from Megadeth, the big four and essentially all thrash outside of the Teutonic variety seems really bland to me. Not terrible or anything, just bland. I can recognize the skill and talent of it, I just don't *get* it.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am 

IceBeam, we seem to be of the exact same opinion when it comes to thrash. It's all very "meh" to me, except like you said, european thrash and Megadeth. Maybe a couple of other bands too that I can't name at the moment too.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am 

IceBeam wrote:
I would say that the three worst offenders in bands that I like are DragonForce, Nightwish, and Arghoslent. The first two are controversial, of course, because a lot of people deem them "not metal enough" or something, and the third, because the lyrics cause epic butthurt, even among supposedly hardened metalheads.

Is Dragonforce really that controversial anymore? Now that the hype has died down I've heard quite a few people say their first two albums (Sonic Firestorm in particular) are respectable, and even that Inhuman Rampage had its moments. Their album with the new singer seemed to get decent reviews too.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm 

Strangely enough, I can't stand the Gorgoroth albums with Hat on vocals. Musically, they're solid albums, but his voice drives me nuts !!
Why is this so bizzare? I'm a huge fan of old school Cradle of Filth and all the other Gorgoroth albums.
High pitched banshee shrieks should be no problem to me, but that one particular vocalist drives me nuts

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

That's odd, certainly. I'm not thoroughly convinced of Hat's performance on Pentagram, but on Antichrist his is a most quintessential black metal vocal performance. Not to mention that the music is good enough for almost any vocal performance to pass.

Hat is probably better on Antichrist than Pest. Pest would surpass his predecessor on the following album, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:39 pm 

IceBeam wrote:
and the third, because the lyrics cause epic butthurt, even among supposedly hardened metalheads.

:roll: Using the phrase "epic butthurt" nullifies your argument there, bucko.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm 

The main problem with Arghoslent isn't their lyrics (although those certainly suck). It's the fact that they can't write a song to save their lives.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:58 pm 

While they're no Grand Belial's Key in their prime, I find Arghoslent to be skilled songwriters. Even the lyrics are pretty good, for a racist band, telling historical tales for the most part rather than preaching to the choir as most such bands tend to do. God knows I've criticised some bands for poor songwriting in the past myself, but it's hard to make objective judgment calls on such a thing I guess. The recent Edge of Sanity review being a case in point: It sure is annoying that the thing is one sprawling forty minute track on the CD but that's how you're supposed to listen to it, and nothing is random at all...it's just a question of whether the elements they employ work together and/or are to one's taste.

I do find it weird that just about everyone here (I mean locals) seems to listen to Arghoslent though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:41 pm 

Arghoslent can write a song okay, it's writing a song with riffs that don't sound played by robots that seems to be the problem. I tried to listen to something off Incorrigible Bigotry recently and eh, still sounds fairly dull and rote to me. Nothing that regular trad metal bands or The Chasm/Vader/etc don't do better.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:57 pm 

Oh, I definitely think The Chasm are a better band, but Arghoslent just scratches a different itch as far as I'm concerned, even though they both play fairly overtly melodic/traditional metal-infused death metal stuff.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm 

I tend to dislike pop/"hair metal" as much as the next Metallum poster, but for some reason, Def Leppard's poppy tendencies don't stop me from digging their old stuff. Maybe their ability to still write a decent tune overshadows the silly vocals and such for me.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 am 

Windom Earle wrote:
Deathspell Omega
Opeth

the list is endless

These two for me as well, definitely. Deathspell Omega is a bit too hectic/claustrophobic for my tastes while Opeth's sense of melody and songwriting dynamics just don't do it for me. I have given both bands a fair amount of my time and energy but at the end of the day I can't get into either. I will note that I don't mind artists with a "claustrophobic" atmosphere (I like funeral doom metal, after all) but Deathspell's compositions offer no room for the listener to breathe or just fall into the ebb and flow of the music - it's rather distracting and tedious to my ears.

Hmm, otherwise I should probably like Paradise Lost and Anathema (Katatonia and My Dying Bride are two favorites of mine) but I can't get into either. Early Paradise Lost isn't bad but Anathema are just uninteresting to me all around (regardless of whether it's the classic doom stuff or the new indie rock material).

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 am 

So many... well my favourite genre's are Black and Thrash Metal....

Yet I CAN'T STAND! Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Dark Funeral, Carpathian Forest, Anaal Nathrakh, 1349, Shining ... or Metallica, Anthrax, Death, Sepultura, Testament, Machine Head, Forbidden, Pantera, Meshuggah and Annihilator to name a few...

Morsay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 am 

Arghoslent sound bad... expect for Hornets of the Pogrom that album alone gets 100/100 in my book

the other albums would be lucky to get 50/100

Quote:
Yet I CAN'T STAND! Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Dark Funeral, Carpathian Forest, Anaal Nathrakh, 1349, Shining ... or Metallica, Anthrax, Death, Sepultura, Testament, Machine Head, Forbidden, Pantera, Meshuggah and Annihilator to name a few...

no sh*t these are the most generic bands I can think of (especially Dark Funeral)

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 am 

I just can't get into Avulsed when I love death metal, there is something about them that just stop them appealing to me.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Emperor never did much for me - the synths sound cheesy, the early tracks just plod along (though I'll give them that I Am the Black Wizards riff), the latter era stuff too fiddly-twiddly for its own good. I know I should love them, I know the fan-boys will bay for my blood, but I'm calling it, they have no clothes.

I keep trying with Emperor, but I just can't get past their 'wall of noise'.
Plus I've just discovered a lot of other black metal bands that everyone seems to love but which I can't really get into... yet (Taake and Nokturnal Mortum for instance).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:18 am 

For Taake, listen to Noregs Vaapen if you haven't yet. It has a traditional metal sound that pops up from time to time and makes it the most different of his discography by a long shot.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:19 am 

That one did appeal to me more than the others, I have to admit :)

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm 

Riot's Thundersteel - Never did anything for me, don't know why, as I've been a fan of traditional/power metal for some thime this should have clicked with me (from what I've read), but never did.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 am 

I have a Luca Turilli solo album but never could get into Rhapsody. Maybe I just started in the wrong place but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:25 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I have a Luca Turilli solo album but never could get into Rhapsody. Maybe I just started in the wrong place but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

No...no, you're just ahead of the curve.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

One band that I can't listen to very much is Shining. I do listen to DSBM, and I do love Kvarforth's singing on Bethlehem's last EP and album, but I just can't swallow his own band as a whole. Maybe I just don't like Shining's instrumental, because I've only enjoyed Kvarforth on Bethlehem's songs...

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

Funeral Frog wrote:
One band that I can't listen to very much is Shining. I do listen to DSBM, and I do love Kvarforth's singing on Bethlehem's last EP and album, but I just can't swallow his own band as a whole. Maybe I just don't like Shining's instrumental, because I've only enjoyed Kvarforth on Bethlehem's songs...

His last albums, particulary Redefining Darkness, are much more close to progressive metal influenced by Opeth and such, than to DSBM. Shining's early works are closer to black metal and depressive stuff.

I'm starting to love all things doom metal, from Sabbath to Essoteric to Ahab, Candlemass and Cathedral. The thing is, no mather how much I try, I can't get into Pentagram. They just don't work for me, and its odd as the vast majority seems to love their stuff and they are regarded as some of the finest classic doom bands out there.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4