Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 am 

I should like Purtenance given my undying love for all things Finnish and OSDM, but I find them really, really boring. Probably the only Finndeath band I'm not crazy about.

I.should be pretty lukewarm towards Excruciate, since I really don't think much of standard Swedeath, and.they're pretty by the books, but I really dig them, probably my favourite "fits all the traditional Swedeath tropes" Swedeath band behind Carnage.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 am 

Six Feet Under is beyond redemption, and Barnes' vocals are only a detail in that larger picture of FUBAR. Not that I've heard anything except Haunted. I might even check out one of the new albums since the reviews seem comparatively favourable.

Corpus_Chain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 am 

I love this thread! Some of the comments are quite funny.

I used to hate Sludge Metal. Then one day I listened to Mastodon and something about the vocal melodies caught my attention. I decided I liked Mastodon but still hated sludge. Then I got into Sleepbringer, because they're quite doomy (which I love), and then The Ocean, because they make concept albums (which I also love), and all of a sudden I find myself looking for sludge albums, even though I supposedly hate sludge...

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:51 am 

Everyone praises Obituary's Cause of Death, but to me it's one of the most boring records i've ever heard.
Chopped in Half....the first 40 seconds sound promising, but then this song is going nowhere. And these guitar solo parts of the record don't save it. I think that Obituary and their vovalist are overrated in general. At the same time, i enjoy Six Feet Under. Every record of them.
Apparently i should feel the opposite, eh? But i don't.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:58 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Six Feet Under is beyond redemption, and Barnes' vocals are only a detail in that larger picture of FUBAR. Not that I've heard anything except Haunted. I might even check out one of the new albums since the reviews seem comparatively favourable.

I used to love Haunted, especially this time of year, but now it feels like leftover Obituary songs with Chris on vocals. He used to have a lot of originality, but his newest stuff just feels...generic.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:03 pm 

If you feel you're obligated to like or not like anything in particular, you have a whole other set of problems.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:45 pm 

U

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 pm 

Nebster173 wrote:
I really like Chris barnes's vocals. It's like he's constantly coughing up phlegm. It's a shame he had to waste them on a Six feet under.

I don't feel that describes his voice at all. I find it to be a very hoarse, breathy growl, as if he was using a tremendous amount of air, but with insufficient diaphragm use and poor resonance in the head.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

Chris Barnes's vocals sound like a hoarse old man.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:18 pm 

Chris Barnes didn't even sound good on the old Cannibal Corpse records. Very boring, one dimensional vocalist.

Actually, the only good thing he's done was the intro to Butchered at Birth..... was that him or some backwards sample of someone else??? Too bad the rest of the album isn't as interesting as that first minute.....

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:24 pm 

Atropus wrote:
Chris Barnes didn't even sound good on the old Cannibal Corpse records. Very boring, one dimensional vocalist.

Actually, the only good thing he's done was the intro to Butchered at Birth..... was that him or some backwards sample of someone else??? Too bad the rest of the album isn't as interesting as that first minute.....

Actually this another band that would fit for me, I really love old school Death Metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Ect) but I could never get into Cannibal Corpse. Really Crappy lyrics and vocals and boring compared to the other bands I mentioned imo.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:36 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Atropus wrote:

Actually this another band that would fit for me, I really love old school Death Metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Ect) but I could never get into Cannibal Corpse. Really Crappy lyrics and vocals and boring compared to the other bands I mentioned imo.

Completely agreed, I mentioned them earlier on this thread. They started a lot of the trends that lead death metal into the downward spiral transformation into the modern mess it's in today.
I'd put Obituary in the same category if it had not been for their first 2 albums.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:01 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I should like Purtenance given my undying love for all things Finnish and OSDM, but I find them really, really boring. Probably the only Finndeath band I'm not crazy about.

I actually feel you there. I don't really have much to say about them at all, other than that I listen to the 1992 album once every couple of months and but for the life of me I can't ever seem to remember fuck all of what it sounds like beyond very vague descriptors, which is to say that it's pretty damn unmemorable stuff for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:48 pm 

V

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm 

Well then, I prefer the dark riffs and utterly abysmal and menacing deviation (Bolt Thrower, early Entombed, early Amorphis, Incantation, Carnage, early Therion, etc.), not the "chug-chug-chug-blast-blast-blast-chug-chug-chug-wank" kind.

Cannibal Corpse represents the style of death metal that bores me to tears.
And no, I didn't like The Bleeding either.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:24 pm 

There's not much I can point out as being actually wrong with Blind Guardian, but despite that they manage to completely bore me. Imaginations has a couple songs that I really enjoy, but otherwise they manage to garner nearly no reaction from me. Admittedly I don't listen to much German power metal anyways, but most other bands have at least something memorable about them. I couldn't recite a single Blind Guardian chorus or melody line right now if I tried.

Otherwise, I generally understand why I don't like a band, which a lot of people in this thread seem to be posting about (why "should" you like a band if you think their riffing is shit?).

Lord_Jotun wrote:
veyita88 wrote:
Sabbat (UK): These guys seem to be highly praised.I dont like the vocals,and the songs dont do much for me.There is some song...i dont remember the name or the album (damn!) but it starts with what it seems like a court judge speaking about witchcraft asking how the accused found itself and them some guy screams "not guilty!" then a chant that says "guilty,guilty" continues,heheh.Then the song begins with a cool,power metal like riff.That is a cool song.

That's For Those Who Died, which also happens to be one of the few Sabbat songs that works for me too. I honetly have no clue why this band refuses to properly click with me (I dislike the vocals too, but those are rarely a dealbreaker for me - I like Iced Earth's first album, for example); the songwriting is generally varied and interesting, yet nothing really grabs me the way it should.

Walkyier was really the only thing going for them. Sneap's riffs were as boring as his production is today. I manage to still enjoy the first two albums, but riff-wise/song-wise they're just another thrash band.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

A couple more that I probably should like but don't.

Gorguts - Obscura and more fitting, FWTH. I love dissonant DM, I love all of it, all of it except for this era of Gorguts. Obscura is more easily explained in why I hate it, namely that it completely lacks aggression or demonic evilness or anything all the Portal-type bands have, and instead bounces stupidly. But still, it's legitimately the only dissonant DM album I hate, and it's one of the most popular. FWTH picks up the aggression and what not a fair bit, but I still can't get behind it fully, maybe because it's still bouncy, but I also think I may just be carrying over ill feelings from Obscura a bit there.

Moonsorrow's new one is pretty much exactly in line with what I would have asked them to do, but I find it boring as fuck, it's heavier, it's darker, but I find it very flat and lifeless regardless.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

I only recently listened to Obscura for the first time, but that "bounciness" was a little surprising/underwhelming to me as well. I still enjoyed it a lot, but at times I couldn't shake the feeling that I was listening to a death metal L.D. 50.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:51 pm 

I really like Obscura; it's quite musically interesting and a real imaginative trip. I don't think I'd like it so well if it tried to be all evil and morbid like most other DM bands. That kind of style just isn't that interesting to me unless it's done in some way that doesn't take itself terribly seriously - in a way that's more "fun" and unabashed rather than the dogmatic super-serious tone of later bands.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

Y

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

Atropus wrote:
Bands I shouldn't like but do....... probably the majority of metalheads would kick my ass for listening to new wave/new romantic music from the 80s. I honestly enjoy David Bowie, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Visage, Roxy Music and similar stuff.

I like a handful of glam/hair metal bands like T Rex, New York Dolls, early Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Wasp, EZO, Kiss, etc.

I also like quite a few goth/darkwave bands like Bauhaus, early Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Clan of Xymox, Diary of Dreams, Sopor Aeternus, Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie & the Banshees, early Lacrimosa (only first album, actually), etc.

I must say most hipster/nerd metalheads like those same bands (and yeah, I got like 2 thirds of that list covered haha)
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm 

From what I understand, a "hipster" is someone who likes things that are "in" or "current", which means that I'd have to get gauge piercings and listen to Whitechapel or Deafheaven.
That doesn't suit my profile.

I'm about as geeky as it gets though, I will admit.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 pm 

Nebster173 wrote:
Atropus wrote:
Well then, I prefer the dark riffs and utterly abysmal and menacing deviation (Bolt Thrower, early Entombed, early Amorphis, Incantation, Carnage, early Therion, etc.), not the "chug-chug-chug-blast-blast-blast-chug-chug-chug-wank" kind.

Cannibal Corpse has plenty of dark riffs.

Hmmmmmmm.........

hm.

I guess I just don't know how else to explain it, I guess they just aren't my style.

Probably very much what this thread is all about.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 pm 

CC are a lot of fun at times but they're not the only band that just defines all DM. There are too many different styles.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm 

I really think Anathema, Paradise Lost and Katatonia changed too much in the turn of the milennium, and they are not bound to please everyone, of course, but I quite dislike how they changed, but still love the sound of it!
Don't know, it's like I enjoy the songs, but hate the band name associated to it. I would have no grudge over it if they reformed under other names or if I did not know them before their "evolutions".

And that, of course, comes from a Death/Doom fan.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 am 

Atropus wrote:

AC/DC..... they're more of a "party" band really. Don't HATE them, just would never listen to a CD of theirs beginning to end. Everyone loves them, and I consider them glorified pub rock.

AC/DC... and I'm talking about the original AC/DC not the post 1980 AC/DC tribute band... Weren't "glorified pub rock" ...the are (or were) the epitome of true rock n' roll... everything since has been an imitation... Lemmy being the only thing in the genre in my opinon with more integrity...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 am 

Cover band? What am I reading. :lol: Bon Scott defined AC/DC, and after he passed away, it was just, let's see, every integral member of the band continuing. The Young brothers and Rudd playing covers of their own songs?

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 am 

Altars of Madness is an album that hypothetically I should love or at least appreciate, but everytime I listen to it, it goes in one ear and out the other.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Cover band? What am I reading. :lol: Bon Scott defined AC/DC, and after he passed away, it was just, let's see, every integral member of the band continuing. The Young brothers and Rudd playing covers of their own songs?

+1

Did anyone expect post-Bon Scott AC/DC to sound like Genesis?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:32 pm 

Corpus_Chain wrote:
I love this thread! Some of the comments are quite funny.

I used to hate Sludge Metal. Then one day I listened to Mastodon and something about the vocal melodies caught my attention. I decided I liked Mastodon but still hated sludge. Then I got into Sleepbringer, because they're quite doomy (which I love), and then The Ocean, because they make concept albums (which I also love), and all of a sudden I find myself looking for sludge albums, even though I supposedly hate sludge...

Actual sludge:

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm 

Sludge still seems to be ambiguous to me.

Corrupted call themselves sludge mainly because sludge is a hybrid of doom metal and hardcore punk by definition, and Corrupted's members all have roots in the punk sound.

Musically though, they sound nothing like other sludge bands. They sound more like funeral doom. Wikipedia lists them with Thergothon, Skepticism, Funeral, etc. as originators of funeral doom, and Chew told me Thergothon was one of his big influences.

Especially the brief live stuff they did with Taiki on vocals...... That was more funeral doom/dark ambient, nothing like sludge!!!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 pm 

Atropus wrote:
Sludge still seems to be ambiguous to me.

Corrupted call themselves sludge mainly because sludge is a hybrid of doom metal and hardcore punk by definition, and Corrupted's members all have roots in the punk sound.

Musically though, they sound nothing like other sludge bands. They sound more like funeral doom. Wikipedia lists them with Thergothon, Skepticism, Funeral, etc. as originators of funeral doom, and Chew told me Thergothon was one of his big influences.

Especially the brief live stuff they did with Taiki on vocals...... That was more funeral doom/dark ambient, nothing like sludge!!!

True that. I would never call The Ocean sludge, though. I'd say Buzzov'en, Corrupted, Eyehategod and such are sludge for me.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:52 pm 

:???:

I just got finished saying why I had a hard time calling Corrupted sludge.

They sound nothing like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Neurosis(well, maybe a little) etc.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 pm 

Atropus wrote:
:???:

I just got finished saying why I had a hard time calling Corrupted sludge.

They sound nothing like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Neurosis(well, maybe a little) etc.

I don't know in how far you've extensively listened to Corrupted, but they've explored several genres. Some prime examples of sludge tracks, even though they don't necessarily sound exactly the same:

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 pm 

Sludge = Black Sabbath + Black Flag = Melvins ⇌ NOLA scene
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

KNOW

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I feel that Lepaca Klifoth (sp) is one of their best albums, despite the sometimes laughably shitty vocals.

Pff, the vocals on that album are cool man. Sure, they're quite odd - but I feel that they work really well with the music.

Two albums I had in mind:

In Ruins - Four Seasons of Grey. They're pretty damn similiar to early (think of Dance of December Souls or For funerals to Come era Katatonia but I don't find their songwriting to be as appealing.

I don't really like Pyogenesis' Ignis Creatio. Can't say that it's band, but for early doom/death metal there's much more exciting releases out there.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:06 pm 

Do some of the people here really think that they shouldn't like a specific band?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
VariedTastes wrote:
I think this thread is more about what's similar to music you like in almost every way but you still dislike it for some reason you can't quite put your finger on, or some band that sounds like other bands you can't stand but you really like them anyways.

Yes, thank you. It ain't that difficult to understand, guys.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm 

Megadeth is right in the style of music I love a whole lot. Yet, aside from a few great tracks, I can't say they are an institution for me like they are for so many others. Can't really put a finger on it. I'm not a huge fan of Dave's vocals, but there a plenty of other thrash bands I love where the vocals are less-than-incredible.

I'd put Artillery into that same category. There are a few tracks that just smoke! But on the whole, I struggle to really get through their albums.

On the flip side, most Hollywood sleaze "metal" from the '80s and '90s was trash to me, but a few releases I love. Like Love/Hate Blackout in the Red Room, most of W.A.S.P's discography. Ratt's first 2.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next