Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:24 am 

I am looking for very well produced new death metal that manages to do the Portal / Mitochondrian / Ulcerate (yes i know thye sound nothing alike) type music but with a very clear sound. Basically, newer dissonant doomy (tech) death metal, but without the murk and clutter.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 am 

I have good news for you: Ignivomous.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:58 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
HazardousMidget wrote:
Go listen to Gorement's The Ending Quest for Old School Swedish Death Metal Perfection

Having never checked out Gorement I was really hoping that was the actual album name, and not unnecessary genre capitalization.

:lol: That would have been one hell of a title.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 am 

suleiman wrote:
I am looking for very well produced new death metal that manages to do the Portal / Mitochondrian / Ulcerate (yes i know thye sound nothing alike) type music but with a very clear sound. Basically, newer dissonant doomy (tech) death metal, but without the murk and clutter.

You could check out Nihilgoety by Eskhaton. Its similar to Portal and Mitochondrion but isn't as murky.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:52 am 

omnishadow wrote:
Recently I've listened to the new album of September Murder, He Who Invokes Decadence. The album is amazing, but I'm not sure if they're using some progressive or technical elements. Can someone tell me what they're playing and reccomend me bands or albuns similar to this one pls? Also a review would be awesome... Here's the full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZV0vazqjo

Any recommendations? Anyone?

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:02 am 

omnishadow wrote:
omnishadow wrote:
Recently I've listened to the new album of September Murder, He Who Invokes Decadence. The album is amazing, but I'm not sure if they're using some progressive or technical elements. Can someone tell me what they're playing and reccomend me bands or albuns similar to this one pls? Also a review would be awesome... Here's the full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZV0vazqjo

Any recommendations? Anyone?

Broadly speaking I'd classify them as melodic death metal with some metalcore leanings, but melodic death metal in the Darkest Hour sense, not in the Amon Amarth sense. The vocals are somewhere between metalcore and deathcore. He sounds like the dude from The Red Chord sometimes (who I actually love, so maybe consider them, even if they're way more spastic than this). If you look up Darkest Hour on the Archives and click "related artists" you'll get a nice list of similar stuff. Maybe Gojira, too? I hear some occasional groove that reminds me of them.

I would not use the words "technical" or "progressive" at all, however. Even that 10 minute song stays away from anything I'd consider applicable to those two terms.

StealthX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 am 

Anyone know of anything similar to Arghoslent? They are my favorite death metal band and nothing even comes close to them (to me) besides Bolt Thrower, so I would also accept something similar to them! American preferably.

Last edited by StealthX on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:26 am 

I'm looking for some groovy death metal in the same vein as Bolt Thrower, but with less repetition and more variation.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm 

Hebidoku wrote:
I'm looking for some groovy death metal in the same vein as Bolt Thrower, but with less repetition and more variation.

Benediction?!

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hebidoku wrote:

Benediction?!

I already know about Benediction.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 pm 

How about Slugathor then?

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:20 pm 

That's new to me, I'll give them a listen.

Edit: This is some great stuff, thanks for the rec.

Last edited by Hebidoku on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:24 pm 

I would recommend the second and third albums in particular. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm 

Slugathor rule, but they do thrive on repetition to a higher degree than other death metal bands, I'd say.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm 

Yeah... that could be true... :-D Worth a shot though!

And if it isn't too obvious (which could be) there's always Hail Of Bullets. Damn, I'm actually listening to ...Of Frost And War for the first time in ages and it's fucking massive! Can't wait for the new album, one of the few ones this year that I'm really expecting to deliver.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:58 am 

Hail of Bullets is even less varied than Bolt Thrower, really. The riffing has similar aesthetics, but the style is finely distinct. It's a very simplistic, heavy style of riffing, like the barest basics of heavy death metal riffing. People who enjoy Bolt Thrower most likely enjoy HoB as well, though, especially if they have taste for some more triumphant, epic moments (Berlin, damnit!).

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I have good news for you: Ignivomous.

Crushing DM, but still pretty murky , lo-fi and cluttered sounding. Neverthless, heavy as hell.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 am 

Quote:
You could check out Nihilgoety by Eskhaton. Its similar to Portal and Mitochondrion but isn't as murky.

Again, crushing dark death metal, BUT too murky, lofi and cluttered (im running outta adjectives).

I enjoyed Baring Teeth.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 am 

Interesting, I always found them to have a vastly cleaner production compared to the bands you originally mentioned. Crystal clear, in comparison.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am 

For lo-fi, doomy, crushing death metal, try Funebrarum. They're a newer band from New Jersey and they did a split with Interment a few years ago who are a great old school swedeath band. Funebrarum are much darker and heavier than the classical Swedish sound however.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Interesting, I always found them to have a vastly cleaner production compared to the bands you originally mentioned. Crystal clear, in comparison.

Upon re-listening, I see what you are saying. Its like two seperate genres. I just mentioned in terms of the production, very uncluttered and clear , as you said.

I like some of the compositional aspects of the bands I originally mentioned, but not a fan of the '92 demo production. Not really looking for brick-walled, super loud, 'modern' production, but a little clarity and instrumental seperation would be nice.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 am 

I'm looking for bands similar to earlier At The Gates, particularly the first two full-length albums and Gardens of Grief. Intricate, complex and perhaps with some black metal influence as well. There should be sorrowful lead guitar melodies as well as that very sinister atmosphere.

Even better if there's another band with all those elements as well as the odd Demilich-esque riff like in The Red In The Sky.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:09 am 

StealthX wrote:
Anyone know of anything similar to Arghoslent? They are my favorite death metal band and nothing even comes close to them (to me) besides Bolt Thrower, so I would also accept something similar to them! American preferably.

Try West Wall. Blitzkrieg Symphony #1 is a great album.

Also, for doomy death metal, I'll recommend Funerus. Reduced to Sludge is much cleaner than Festering Earth though. Both excellent, nevertheless.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar to earlier At The Gates, particularly the first two full-length albums and Gardens of Grief. Intricate, complex and perhaps with some black metal influence as well. There should be sorrowful lead guitar melodies as well as that very sinister atmosphere.

Even better if there's another band with all those elements as well as the odd Demilich-esque riff like in The Red In The Sky.

I would love to find more of this as well but ATG's first album and a half are hard to beat.

Eucharist's A Velvet Creation is quite similar but has a lot of those saccharine melodies that would later infest the melodeath genre and is not quite as well composed, probably the next best thing though.

Sacramentum's Sedes Impiorum demo is actually quite reminiscent of early ATG as well, this is a demo that sounds like all the heavier and darker parts of TRitSiO. Little black metal to be found. By Sacramentum standards this is very under cooked and very under produced as well.

Dawn's Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher is kinda like the black metal version of TRitSiO in that it is composed almost entirely of ever rotating harmonized tremolo melodies, which achieve a wide arrange of different emotions as ATG did. Some melodies reach for sorrowful but are nowhere near as profound, decent stuff though.

Utumno's Across the Horizon uses similar rhythmic patterns and utilizes a lot of that same basic style of Death Metal riffing, but has none of the sorrowful melodies. Fairly well composed if quite a bit more brain dead. Some odd riffs as well.

StealthX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 am 

SwampSlimer wrote:
StealthX wrote:

Try West Wall. Blitzkrieg Symphony #1 is a great album.

Also, for doomy death metal, I'll recommend Funerus. Reduced to Sludge is much cleaner than Festering Earth though. Both excellent, nevertheless.

Thanks West Wall is amazing! Sadly I can not find their albums in FLAC on the internet, or any where to buy their CD's :(

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:01 am 

Lord Tempestuous: Thank you. I haven't heard Utumno, but 'more brain dead' doesn't sound too exciting. :(

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 pm 

Utumno is awesome dude! That EP gets so much rotation every now and then, but I'd hardly compare it to TRITSIO in anything other than being Swedish. Sorry if I sound like a dick but I don't really see the similarities you speak of.

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:45 pm 

I'm looking for ultra-violent, gore themed, death metal where you can actually decipher the lyrics. Either just by listening to it straight on, or by reading along with the lyric sheet.

I've seen a litany of brutal death metal bands with gory lyrics, but even if I read their lyrics as the song plays the vocals are just
GGRRRR URRRGHHHHH HHUURRRR GRRRRR GRRRR

Example of what I'm looking for:

You can't understand the vocals just by listening, but if you read along with the lyrics they are as clear as day.

Start at 0:44

Virgin
Tied to my mattress
Legs spread wide
Ruptured bowel, yanked
From her insides
Devirginized with my knife
Internally bleeding
Vagina, secreting
her blood-wet pussy
I am eating
on her guts I am feeding
Mutilated with a machete
I fucked her dead body
The first and last
Your life's only romance
My knife's jammed in your ass
As you die you orgasm

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:48 am 

asterix645 wrote:
I'm looking for ultra-violent, gore themed, death metal where you can actually decipher the lyrics. Either just by listening to it straight on, or by reading along with the lyric sheet.

Two that spring to mind:

Prostitute Disfigurement's Descendents of Depravity (and only that album of theirs, if you want remotely intelligible lyrics).

Flesh Consumed's Ecliptic Dimensions of Suffering. Whereas the PD is straightforward and kind of uninteresting, this one is a solid mindfuck. Very weird atmosphere, trippy/spooky instrumental interludes. Luc Lemay, Erik Lindmark, and Matti Way all contribute vocals to it.

Both of these lean more toward the "lyric sheet required" end of the spectrum, but they're still nothing like, say, Brodequin.

By the way, the Brutal Death Metal thread is a treasure trove, should you feel like digging through that subgenre.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:48 am 

Looking for bands combining death metal with ambient (particularly dark ambient). Any suggestions? Oh, also, modern bands with screamed vocals instead of guttural growls.

PushTheButtonFrank
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 am 

Anyone know of any death metal bands that incorporate elements of thrash and/or punk into their music? Thanks.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm 

uh... like a bajillion of them. Can you be a little more specific in the sound you're looking for??
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:35 pm 

PushTheButtonFrank wrote:
Anyone know of any death metal bands that incorporate elements of thrash and/or punk into their music? Thanks.

Not too sure about punk, but I know quite a few bands that have a "deaththrash" type of sound or borrow elements from each genre.

Let's start with the obvious, Death (Scream Bloody Gore).

Some call this thrash, others call it death. There's no definite answer. This was the transformation from thrash to death. Thrash was already considered "evil" at the time but Death gave it an eviler touch. Chuck Schuldiner's vocals are not guttural growls per se, but are much more demon-like when compared to normal thrash vocals which are just screamed.

Here, in my opinion, are the two best songs from the album.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 am 

I

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:03 am 

asterix645 wrote:

I've seen a litany of brutal death metal bands with gory lyrics, but even if I read their lyrics as the song plays the vocals are just
GGRRRR URRRGHHHHH HHUURRRR GRRRRR GRRRR

Example of what I'm looking for:

You can't understand the vocals just by listening, but if you read along with the lyrics they are as clear as day.

Start at 0:44

Virgin
Tied to my mattress
Legs spread wide
Ruptured bowel, yanked
From her insides
Devirginized with my knife
Internally bleeding
Vagina, secreting
her blood-wet pussy
I am eating
on her guts I am feeding
Mutilated with a machete
I fucked her dead body
The first and last
Your life's only romance
My knife's jammed in your ass
As you die you orgasm

Maybe Lividity?
http://youtu.be/D4gm98yIDaY

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 am 

PushTheButtonFrank wrote:

death strike

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 pm 

I'm looking for not so well known bands that are a Groove/Death metal hybrid. An example of this would be a Walk With the Wicked from SA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVRr4-Htac

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 am 

I am looking for OSDM with good guitar leads. So please only recommend stuff that has some solo work in it. I thoroughly enjoy the OSDM style, but want just a little flash along with the it.. as far as lead work id prefer more of a melodic standpoint, not "Slayer" fashion. I cant stand super guttural vocals at all, unless its used sparingly then I can look past it. I would prefer not so muddy production. Bands ive been getting into lately are Incantation, Funebrarum, Dead Congregation, Vomitory, Vehemence, Bloodbath, Cannabis Corpse...

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 am 

Looking for melodic and/or symphonic death metal bands:
1.That are very heavy as fuck, but still retaining the melodic and/or symphonic sound
2.With clean vocals only

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:52 am 

^
Ehh, just guessing (haven't really paid uch attention to the band) but Septic Flesh maybe? Maybe Therion's third and fourth album will sadisfy your needs as well - although the latter hasn't really got many death metal elements left. Also, for the second thing you're looking for, you shouldn't use the death metal thread but rather the symphonic metal thread.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 289  Next