Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:25 pm 

when break up's like that occur, it can be draining.. it is a loss of an attached energy and can be a sad realm for however long you let it be.. it is a journey, a dissension of discovery.. Ahab- 'Divinity of Oceans' would be something i would head to in that void.. hey, when one door shuts; another one will open.. life is what you make of it, or what it makes of you

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm 

Sorry to hear that man it really blows. When my wife told me she wanted to split up it devastated me, the one metal album that I found most comforting was Soulburner by Gardenian. Check it out and hopefully it'll help I must've listened to it two or three times a day for almost a month.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 pm 

What's up with everybody and sad music these days? Is it the weather or something?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101119
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=100862
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101099

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
So I went through a break up over the last month and I'm sitting around listening to sad music. It was serious, we were together 4 years and lived together and had one of those 'this just isn't working anymore' kind of break-ups, rather than the 'someone did something unforgivable' kind. Music has been a huge help though, I've been listening to heaps of weepy, maudlin stuff. It occurred to me though, metal doesn't really seem to have anything to offer right now. Like sure, DSBM gets at that mopey, melancholic vibe but it's more in an existential way rather than the direct, personal experience that a lot of pop, folk, and country is built around.

I might be totally wrong though and if anyone has some suggestions for good metal break-up songs I'd love to hear them. And like, I'm talking Four Strong Winds kind of melancholy.

You will pull through man. Sorry to hear about that. I've been in a sour mood as of lately contemplating my future and relationships and have been jamming The Cure, Smiths and New Order a lot. Even Lil B's positivity doesn't help...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:14 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
So I went through a break up over the last month and I'm sitting around listening to sad music. It was serious, we were together 4 years and lived together and had one of those 'this just isn't working anymore' kind of break-ups, rather than the 'someone did something unforgivable' kind. Music has been a huge help though, I've been listening to heaps of weepy, maudlin stuff. It occurred to me though, metal doesn't really seem to have anything to offer right now. Like sure, DSBM gets at that mopey, melancholic vibe but it's more in an existential way rather than the direct, personal experience that a lot of pop, folk, and country is built around.

I might be totally wrong though and if anyone has some suggestions for good metal break-up songs I'd love to hear them. And like, I'm talking Four Strong Winds kind of melancholy.

A friend of mine and his girlfriend broke up after 6 years for similar reasons, but the positive news is that they're both actually doing better now that they've separated. Both have new partners and paths in life. Your break-up may hurt now, and that's normal, but in time it could be a blessing for you (and her).

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:16 pm 

A few months to a year from now you'll look back and think you were such a chump/bitch/punk/whatever for even caring. You'll learn, and this is a good start.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 pm 

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be fine in the end and intellectually I know this is better for both of us but it's is one of those situations where the heart beats the mind. I'll check out the recs and try to get out of this mawkish, maudlin vibe, but damn xThe__Wizard, those bands are exactly what I'm into. I've listened to The Smiths s/t and Disintegration everyday for the last week, and that's been a contrast to the really mopey break up stuff haha.

Diamhea, thanks for the 'tough guy' approach I guess, but it's not my style. I've gone through enough shit to figure out how to deal with it in my own way.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 pm 

It wasn't my style either when I was in your position. But I took the advice and chose to distance myself from that...vulnerable mindset. Being taken advantage of repeatedly just wasn't for me anymore. The same can't necessarily be said for you, but keep an open mind.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 pm 

Eh we're talking about different things, that's not really how things went down in this relationship. Anyway, though metal hasn't spoken to my meandering and wistful melancholy, early Deicide and Obituary have provided some excellent fist-pumping, head-banging escapism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzC2lhFgBMw

/mope, kill yourself for satan

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 pm 

I reccomend Eyehategod, specifically Take As Needed for Pain!!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 pm 

Just to prep you for it: if you think the initial regular hurting part is shitty, just wait until you get to the part where you start feeling like you just wasted a giant chunk of your youth on a relationship that didn't work out.

Let the weeps flow through you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5UzeOf8ouk

Edit: all this razor talk reminded me of that weird shaving thread that was on here a year or two ago. Anyone remember that? I actually watched a bunch of those shaving videos on YouTube and told myself I was gonna treat myself to a nice safety razor, some good blades, proper shaving cream and a good brush, but I never wound up doing it because I'm a scumbag.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be fine in the end and intellectually I know this is better for both of us but it's is one of those situations where the heart beats the mind. I'll check out the recs and try to get out of this mawkish, maudlin vibe, but damn xThe__Wizard, those bands are exactly what I'm into. I've listened to The Smiths s/t and Disintegration everyday for the last week, and that's been a contrast to the really mopey break up stuff haha.

Diamhea, thanks for the 'tough guy' approach I guess, but it's not my style. I've gone through enough shit to figure out how to deal with it in my own way.

Yeah I don't know if its been making me feel better or worse. But it seems to be helping in my endeavors. I'm excited to be playing some shows that usually makes me feel better. I don't get out much so hopefully i'll be able to meet some new people.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Just to prep you for it: if you think the initial regular hurting part is shitty, just wait until you get to the part where you start feeling like you just wasted a giant chunk of your youth on a relationship that didn't work out.

I'm not worried about that, I already did the wasting my youth serious LTR. ;) This was round 2 and I'll be 30 very soon.

On the topic of shaving- anyone who's got bad skin and bristly hair, run a wash cloth under hot water and then put that on your face for a few minutes. It softens the hair and makes for a less abrasive shave without fully opening the pours and inviting acne.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm 

Just wondering, has anyone listened to Senmuth's previous group, Anima? I was wondering, is it good, and what genre/s is it predominately?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 am 

Was anybody else a bit disappointed by the new Barn Owl? I just gave it a listen today, it's not guitar-oriented like their previous works. It's still good music (ESPECIALLY the tracks on the bonus disc), but I'm let-down by the lack of warm, guitar-oriented atmospherics.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 am 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

And down they go.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:34 am 

Wilytank wrote:
What's up with everybody and sad music these days? Is it the weather or something?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101119
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=100862
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101099

In my defense, it's something I've always appreciated the most, since childhood.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 am 

I feel like an old fart waking up this early.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 am 

If you're gloomy, if you're sad, stop being sad and be awesome instead.

Anyways, I find that Nagelfar's music can be extremely melancholic at times. Especially if one understands the lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irlvwhY7oJM
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 am 

What the fuck is this and why am I reading it.

http://www.wordsense.eu/red_cunt_hair/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am 

Cannibal Corpse does kick arse. End transmission.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

Sorry about your breakup. I've been through something similar, although in my case the relationship lasted even longer. Anyway, I don't think sad breakup songs are really metal's place, but you could always try this band/album, since as soon as they stopped playing metal their music pretty much epitomised that really personal, human feeling of sadness and attempts to find hope in a dreary world.

Heh, funny how they keep coming up in this thread lately.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am 

Ghost Brigade isn't the epitomal metal band, but they have plenty of melancholic songs that deal with bereavement. It can get quite melodramatic, even. It's usually clean, slow rock verses with plaintive guitars, and heavy, crushing choruses with sludge-inspired riffs.

Check it out:
Soulcarvers
22:22 Nihil

I think many of their songs, especially on Isolation Songs, have a consoling, wistful atmosphere. It's possible that only Finnish people enjoy this type of music though. :lol:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am 

In a new phase of electronic music and 60s/70s rock starting today! Metal can go poop itself, for real.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am 

Just spin October Rust non-stop and drink every day. Worked for me.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 am 

So, someone submitted an "Experimental Avante-Garde Black Metal/Rap hybrid" band to the queue this weekend. Now, with a genre tag like that, I just had to search for this album; I was too curious as to what genre-bending voodoo this band had put to tape. But, when I search for the album, I find no results for the band, The Immortal Destroyer. However, I do come back with a result for an "artist" on Youtube named Double Swee, and his album of the same name. The track list and album art are very similar as well. Now I don't want to judge, but I think someone may be trying to pull the wool over our eyes... :roll:

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find a better trio of albums than Eaten, Butchered, and Tomb... especially in death metal. I will unendingly crown Altars of Madness as the greatest death metal album of all time but CC's first three are pretty untouchable.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am 

I've liked Abominations of Desolation over Altars of Madness for as long as I can remember. I like most of the Tucker albums a lot better than the Vincent albums too.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find a better trio of albums than Eaten, Butchered, and Tomb... especially in death metal. I will unendingly crown Altars of Madness as the greatest death metal album of all time but CC's first three are pretty untouchable.

To be fair, I'm a far greater fan of Immolation than Cannibal Corpse, by a great margin. None So Vile also ranks above any Cannibal Corpse album in my opinion. There are a few death metal bands that have created higher quality material, but there's no way around the fact that Cannibal Corpse does kick arse.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:15 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

I wanted to recommend the band Beyond Dawn, but couldn't really find much out there to link to. The few songs on youtube are not the best examples. You can check out some samples on the list below and if you think they might be up your alley, maybe you can find the album "Pity Love" to download somewhere. I think that album might have the type of songs you're looking for.

http://www.last.fm/music/Beyond+Dawn/+tracks

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I've liked Abominations of Desolation over Altars of Madness for as long as I can remember. I like most of the Tucker albums a lot better than the Vincent albums too.

NOt me; as much as I worship old-school and all that I have to say Pete Sandoval gave the band (and a lot of those old songs) a real kick in the arse that they sorely needed. mike Browning just isn't that great on drums and he makes the songs drag by comparison. Altars is far more ferocious and, well, better.

Ok, so an exhortation for you guys to use the mini review threads, because they're cool and I dont' want them to die, but it's always the same three or four people resurrecting them these days.

Edit: Wow yeah, Pity Love is a great and incredibly unique record.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

NOt me; as much as I worship old-school and all that I have to say Pete Sandoval gave the band (and a lot of those old songs) a real kick in the arse that they sorely needed. mike Browning just isn't that great on drums and he makes the songs drag by comparison. Altars is far more ferocious and, well, better.

Ok, so an exhortation for you guys to use the mini review threads, because they're cool and I dont' want them to die, but it's always the same three or four people resurrecting them these days.

I dunno, I think the songs are more brutal when they are slower like in those beginning days. That version of Chapel of Ghouls is so much better to me than the one that ended up on Altars. I haven't listened to Abominations in so long... maybe it's time to fix that.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 am 

Browning's drumming just doesn't do it for me. I don't find Morbid Angel that engrossing, but Sandoval's drumming is the only thing I look forward to next to Trey's crazy ass riffing. Browning sounds like...he can barely keep up, like hes holding them back.

Last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:48 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

To be fair, I'm a far greater fan of Immolation than Cannibal Corpse, by a great margin. None So Vile also ranks above any Cannibal Corpse album in my opinion. There are a few death metal bands that have created higher quality material, but there's no way around the fact that Cannibal Corpse does kick arse.

Oh I'll definitely agree that there are several albums better than any of CC's individual works... but that trio? Hard pressed to find another dm band that cranked out 3 in a row of that caliber and consistency.

Ya know, I have never been able to get into Immolation and similar bands, something about that overall sound just doesn't do it for me. Kinda the same thing with Cyptopsy. I used to jam NSV and BMF a good bit but these days they just don't really click. I'm super picky about death metal though, probably more so than any other sub-genre of metal.

Also, cosigned on Sandoval's drumming making MA. Altars is a fucking animal of a record and while Trey's riffing is a big part I don't think that album would be half as good as it is without Sandoval's absolute devastation behind the kit. The man pretty much wrote the book on extreme metal drumming between Altars and World Downfall.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:36 pm 

Making game for school. Went with black metal racing as a theme. Give me possible titles and car designs. (make em 45x25) and track designs.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm 

MrMetalinasuit1 wrote:
Making game for school. Went with black metal racing as a theme. Give me possible titles and car designs. (make em 45x25) and track designs.

Making soup for dinner. Went with cooked meat as a theme. Give me possible recipes and ingredients (make em cheap x tasty) and pot designs.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm 

Haha DO MY PROJECT FOR ME BECAUSE I MADE IT RELATED TO METAL.

Fuck that, do it yourself.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

My pick for best break up band: Thin Lizzy. Still in Love With You, Old Flame, Romeo and The Lonely Girl, hell I could go all day (is Suicide appropo?).

As far as break up metal? Warning and Patrick's next band 40 Watt Sun usually does the trick, don't know how "metal" you would consider the last one though. I know saying they are good breakup music is probably damning in people's eyes but they deal with heartbreak and emotion on a more down to earth, personal level rather than the philosophical or existential angle that a lot of metal bands do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4FkTm3Q40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-fCxBHCG4g

Last edited by PvtNinjer on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 pm 

I was skimming through this and saw "break up" and "40 Watt Sun" close to each other and became exited that they may actually be breaking up. Alas, that news would be too good to be true.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I was skimming through this and saw "break up" and "40 Watt Sun" close to each other and became exited that they may actually be breaking up. Alas, that news would be too good to be true.

Oh you!

How annoying could they really be, though? It's not like they are terribly prolific. Then again, I'm a wimp.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 518  Next