Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Open minded people politely and respectfully expressed their disagreement?

:lol:

SatanicPotato wrote:
i am confused by the direction GTA V is trying to go in terms of difficulty

i have had several moments when one shot took me down, but the game has checkpoints(think this one needs it for me anyways), but if your driving and you flip your car you just press a button and it flips back onto the correct side for some unknown reason.

also if you manage to screw up a checkpoint 3 times they gave you an option to skip that part of the game, so you can complete the game while being completely useless at the game(would never take that option myself), it just seems really confusing in that respect, either way i am enjoying it, feels a bit odd to have 3 protagonists but most likely will get past that soon, actually has some good humour in it too at times and has loads of tiny details that really add to the experience for me

RDR let you skip too. I didn't fail a mission that many times due to difficulty. RDR is quite easy. I think it was messing around and the skip option popped up.

The missions are significantly harder than RDR or GTAIV. I'm surprised at how often I'm losing. Some of the driving parts you have to be like a race car driver. It's not like you can freely crash into everything and finish the mission.

I think they tried to make the game appeal to everyone. Those of us who like Dark Souls and difficulty and those who want to cruise through a game.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

Am I the only one who still plays PS2 and SNES??? :P

The FPS I play the most is the original Doom, lol. I started working through Dragon Quest VIII and Chrono Trigger over the summer I haven't finished them yet hahah.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

The FPS I play the most is the original Doom, lol. I started working through Dragon Quest VIII and Chrono Trigger over the summer I haven't finished them yet hahah.

I'm playing PS2 system, but PS1 games :P

I love DOOM too, first time I ever played it was the SNES port way back in the day. I had my original copy of Chrono Trigger from '95 when I bought it new (I was 8 and so excited) but I sold it because it was worth a pretty penny.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

That's awesome!!

As far as PS1 games, in the house I've got some random ones. I think I actually have the original GTA sitting on a shelf in front of me. The real gem though is a Spyro trilogy set!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Well, no, I'm currently doing the whole Donkey Kong Country trilogy.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 pm 

I've only played a lot of the first one. Years ago it was very hard for me to play. I can remember playing the Donkey Kong game for the Wii as well. I got stuck on some robot boss and never played it again, lol. I've played the second and third Donkey Kong games on emulators.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm 

You know what was a bitch? Mega Man X on SNES. No save states or nothing, just a 7 year old me in front of the TV hogging it from the rest of the family trying to beat Sigma's gauntlet of an apocalyptic wasteland. Man, I believe the farthest I ever got was that spider boss on the first Sigma stage. Felt demoralized after I died fighting it the first time, but when I lost all my lives fighting it I had to restart everything from the beginning of the stage with less 1-ups. Sold that shit off years later without touching it until emulators showed up. Have since gotten through up to X5.

But yeah I should hit up DK.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:38 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
You know what was a bitch? Mega Man X on SNES. No save states or nothing, just a 7 year old me in front of the TV hogging it from the rest of the family trying to beat Sigma's gauntlet of an apocalyptic wasteland. Man, I believe the farthest I ever got was that spider boss on the first Sigma stage. Felt demoralized after I died fighting it the first time, but when I lost all my lives fighting it I had to restart everything from the beginning of the stage with less 1-ups. Sold that shit off years later without touching it until emulators showed up. Have since gotten through up to X5.

But yeah I should hit up DK.

You want a way to put a new challenge on MMX? Try speed-running it against a friend, and you have to take a shot of something 40-proof whenever you complete a stage. My friend and I have been doing that on one night of our yearly trips to his cabin in the woods. Makes the Sigma stages nice and fun, let me tell you. :P

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 pm 

Ha! Mega Man has always kicked my ass. I am not worthy, I guess... :(

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm 

Yeah, after getting my ass kicked as a kid on X and X2, I later bitched through them with save states as an adult. Cool games, but fuck were they punishing. I also played Mega Man 2, 3, and 4 for the NES, but I don't remember them being nearly as hard.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:46 pm 

If you know the right order to take the bosses in X1, it gets stupidly easy even without save states. Even the spider goes down quickly if you spam him with the ice shot.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 pm 

Yeah, unless you use a guide you just need to trial & error your way through until you know each of their patterns and weaknesses.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
If you know the right order to take the bosses in X1, it gets stupidly easy even without save states. Even the spider goes down quickly if you spam him with the ice shot.

Wish I had the patience and intellect to realize that in 1997.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:49 pm 

Well that is true. I suppose the days of me being able to swing through everything easily didn't come until after we got an internet connection...

X2 and 3 are quite a bit harder, even if you take things in the right order. Can't say much for 4 and 5; never followed through with them to the end even though I got the X collection for gamecube. And then X6 is quite hard, but that's more because of the hilariously stupid level design. Worth playing for the laughs alone. I resolved to see it through to the end just to say I did, but I could never beat that giant slime thing at the end of the first final boss stage.

Makes me wonder, too, why they don't make an X9 in the SNES style like they did with Mega Man 9. I'd eat that shit up.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Makes me wonder, too, why they don't make an X9 in the SNES style like they did with Mega Man 9. I'd eat that shit up.

Mega Man is dead. Mighty No. 9 is the new Mega Man.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 pm 

That Child of Light game that HB linked to looks amazing. Not necessarily as a game, as it doesn't seem to interest me a whole lot, but the visuals are absolutely fantastic. I'll have to eventually play the game, if only to see how it looks in motion. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it. But WOW. Was the gameplay shown from current gen consoles or next gen consoles?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 pm 

My brother and I used to go to Blockbuster every weekend and play Mega Man games on our Super Nintendo. I can't remember what specific games, it was so long ago!

Obligatory Last FM Link

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 pm 

Megaman X3 kicked my ass. The original one I bought back in like '94 and man, the music in those games are amazing. Kind of what shaped me into a metalhead even from a young age.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 pm 

Man, which X game was it that had a dung beetle boss that attacked by rolling its own mecha-poop at you? They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel towards the end of the X continuity. That said, I love everything from X to X4. Instant nostalgia trip when I think about those.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:00 am 

I started playing Darksiders II, which is fun as hell. Basically it's much in the style of the first game: sort of similar gameplay to the Zelda franchise, with discrete castles/dungeons with lots of puzzles and boss fights at the end, along with advancement done via new pieces of gear that allow for increased mobility or ways to approach puzzles. But, like the first game, it has beefed-up combat sort of in the vein of God of War or Ninja Gaiden, with an emphasis on fast-paced combos and well-timed dodges.

However, the game already seems much deeper: they added additional RPG elements. There's much deeper itemization; instead of Zelda-like basic upgrades (new sword does twice as much damage! new armor makes you take half as much damage!) there's a Diablo-ish loot system. You can get upgraded scythes with different attributes, and there are all kinds of secondary weapons (bucklers, claws, battleaxes, war hammers) with different feels to them. There's also armor, jewelry, all that good stuff. You also level up and can spend skill points on things in skill trees, with one focused on augmenting your physical prowess and the other lets you cast spells and summon allies and stuff.

The plot is pretty ridiculous, just like it was the first time around, but whatever.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
Was the gameplay shown from current gen consoles or next gen consoles?

Unknown. My guess would be a PC. I doubt there will be very significant differences between the platforms, since it's all 2D stuff anyway.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Open minded people politely and respectfully expressed their disagreement?

:lol:

SatanicPotato wrote:
i am confused by the direction GTA V is trying to go in terms of difficulty

i have had several moments when one shot took me down, but the game has checkpoints(think this one needs it for me anyways), but if your driving and you flip your car you just press a button and it flips back onto the correct side for some unknown reason.

also if you manage to screw up a checkpoint 3 times they gave you an option to skip that part of the game, so you can complete the game while being completely useless at the game(would never take that option myself), it just seems really confusing in that respect, either way i am enjoying it, feels a bit odd to have 3 protagonists but most likely will get past that soon, actually has some good humour in it too at times and has loads of tiny details that really add to the experience for me

RDR let you skip too. I didn't fail a mission that many times due to difficulty. RDR is quite easy. I think it was messing around and the skip option popped up.

The missions are significantly harder than RDR or GTAIV. I'm surprised at how often I'm losing. Some of the driving parts you have to be like a race car driver. It's not like you can freely crash into everything and finish the mission.

I think they tried to make the game appeal to everyone. Those of us who like Dark Souls and difficulty and those who want to cruise through a game.

most likely true, so far there were 2 missions where i was tempted to use it but i still wont, i forgot that RDR let you skip parts, the driving is interesting, but for me the shooting is harder than the driving, but the game does punish you for crashing more than previous games in the series

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
If someone wants to feel that kind of experience playing a game they should dust off a copy and pop in Manhunt 1 or 2. The former an all-tme fave of mine btw.

Wait, what? Why would you feel bad about being James Earl Cash? It's a fight to the finish, motherfucker. If you don't kill your attackers, they're going to kill you! Dog eat dog! *kicks over chair*

Well yeah as far as the actual playable character goes not as much of a bad guy as the enemies were. But the overall atmosphere, tone and game play experience and not to mention the graphic violence, well..I never had so much fun feeling so scuzzy when it was all over. Haha.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I started playing Darksiders II, which is fun as hell. Basically it's much in the style of the first game: sort of similar gameplay to the Zelda franchise, with discrete castles/dungeons with lots of puzzles and boss fights at the end, along with advancement done via new pieces of gear that allow for increased mobility or ways to approach puzzles. But, like the first game, it has beefed-up combat sort of in the vein of God of War or Ninja Gaiden, with an emphasis on fast-paced combos and well-timed dodges.

However, the game already seems much deeper: they added additional RPG elements. There's much deeper itemization; instead of Zelda-like basic upgrades (new sword does twice as much damage! new armor makes you take half as much damage!) there's a Diablo-ish loot system. You can get upgraded scythes with different attributes, and there are all kinds of secondary weapons (bucklers, claws, battleaxes, war hammers) with different feels to them. There's also armor, jewelry, all that good stuff. You also level up and can spend skill points on things in skill trees, with one focused on augmenting your physical prowess and the other lets you cast spells and summon allies and stuff.

The plot is pretty ridiculous, just like it was the first time around, but whatever.

The problem with Darksiders 2 is that I found a ridiculously simple button-smash "combo" that, coupled with the right weapon, let me shred any enemy with ease. Good game though.

Quick question about Dark Souls: Is there any point in joining a covenant if you don't see yourself using the online features anytime soon?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 am 

^ I really enjoyed Dark Siders II. I rented it but still may go back and buy it at some point.

If you aren't doing online stuff in Dark Souls (which you should because the PvP is awesome) then just at least talk to each covenant for the trophy and figure out which one benefits your character the most. If you're a faith build go with Darkmoon because the talisman and darkmoon blade spell are the best for weapon buff and miracle power. Other than that nothing stands out too much except maybe the shortcut to lost Izalith through the Daughter of Chaos.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm 

Anyone play Soldat? Started playing it for the first time since probably 2005 a couple of days ago. Really cool game! I suck at it though. I'll no doubt have this shit down in no time, however. :-D

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:36 am 

inhumanist wrote:
The problem with Darksiders 2 is that I found a ridiculously simple button-smash "combo" that, coupled with the right weapon, let me shred any enemy with ease. Good game though.

Quick question about Dark Souls: Is there any point in joining a covenant if you don't see yourself using the online features anytime soon?

Yes the covenants give other bonuses. I agree Darksiders2 is just a rehash of the last game and basically a copy of all other action rpgs out since ps1 era. I love Dark Souls though, there is a really innovative, challenging, its quite a thrill.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
most likely true, so far there were 2 missions where i was tempted to use it but i still wont, i forgot that RDR let you skip parts, the driving is interesting, but for me the shooting is harder than the driving, but the game does punish you for crashing more than previous games in the series

Yeah the shooting is difficult. I'm pleasantly surprised at the difficulty level. Your ability to take bullets isn't as unforgiving as The Last of Us or Deus Ex Human Revolution, but neither is it like any other Rockstar game to date. I've died plenty of times to gunfire and have to play it safer and smarter.

If the game was easy where I quickly figured out you can spam something to win, I wouldn't like it as much. But for a Rockstar game, this is surprisingly hard which makes it not boring like I thought it might be.

My biggest complaint is how stupid things fail missions. Like I thought I parked my jet ski close enough then walked on land. Fail! WTF? Cause my jet ski was grounded and should've been in the water. At least let me get back on and move closer to the marker or something? Not have me do everything all over again.

I saw the game made $800 million in 24 hours. I wonder if it'll beat the top grossing films of all time.

I think right now the smartest thing Rockstar could do to just make a killing is have Liberty City or Las Venturas DLC or both with these graphics and gameplay.

Industry wise, I hope the tons of money made from this game forces other companies to realize yearly sequels aren't the money makers and that more time, attention to detail, and focus on good gameplay becomes the new standard.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:49 am 

The estimated budget of Grand Theft Auto V is 250,000,000 greenbacks. I think it might be the most expensive videogame produced to date.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm 

So... what's up Valve? http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Three announcements next week.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The estimated budget of Grand Theft Auto V is 250,000,000 greenbacks. I think it might be the most expensive videogame produced to date.

It was actually £170,000,000 ($265m) since Rockstar North is a Scottish company but yes, it is the most expensive game ever made. TOR was the previous record holder with an estimated $200,000,000 budget.

Shit's cray cray. Ah, for the days of when Wing Commander IV's $12,000,000 budget was king. How times have changed... and not necessarily for the better.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:42 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

Steambox powered by Linux :D I'm happy for this because it'll push Linux adoption up hopefully and the stupid graphics card companies and other software makers will have to start taking it seriously and hopefully some time in the future I can completely ditch Windows :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 pm 

Heroes of might and magic 3.

Classic PC game

Last.fm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

I can't lie, by the time I saw "Valve" I immediately began thinking of a certain threequel...Then read the rest of your sentence.

C'mon, I can't have been the only one.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

TOR was the previous record holder with an estimated $200,000,000 budget.

Er... Star Wars: The Old Republic (SW:TOR)?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:39 pm 

Yep!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:08 pm 

Another batch of Dark Souls II news, coming right up!
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:58 pm 

I went through Mega Man X for the first time. Sigma was pretty tough. Figuring out how to merk him was most satisfying.

That's another game off my bucket list anyway.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Yeah the shooting is difficult. I'm pleasantly surprised at the difficulty level. Your ability to take bullets isn't as unforgiving as The Last of Us or Deus Ex Human Revolution, but neither is it like any other Rockstar game to date. I've died plenty of times to gunfire and have to play it safer and smarter.

If the game was easy where I quickly figured out you can spam something to win, I wouldn't like it as much. But for a Rockstar game, this is surprisingly hard which makes it not boring like I thought it might be.

My biggest complaint is how stupid things fail missions. Like I thought I parked my jet ski close enough then walked on land. Fail! WTF? Cause my jet ski was grounded and should've been in the water. At least let me get back on and move closer to the marker or something? Not have me do everything all over again.

I saw the game made $800 million in 24 hours. I wonder if it'll beat the top grossing films of all time.

I think right now the smartest thing Rockstar could do to just make a killing is have Liberty City or Las Venturas DLC or both with these graphics and gameplay.

Industry wise, I hope the tons of money made from this game forces other companies to realize yearly sequels aren't the money makers and that more time, attention to detail, and focus on good gameplay becomes the new standard.

i love the difficulty setting, there are a few annoying missions throughout the game but nothing as painful as some of the missions of previous games imo, that does remind me though human revolution is a great game i will play it again(random)

the game is a bit odd mission wise, i have failed missions when frankly i didnt know what the hell i was doing, usually its fine but sometimes its a bit odd, but its nothing major just an annoyance at times.

i agree, i am thinking another character might be added in DLC or something because there are 4 spaces and only 3 controllable characters but i could be wrong but it couldnt hurt to ad another character as long as they somehow make it work, i completed GTA V and for the most part had a great time, 100 times better than GTA IV imo though i wish gangs were more visible like they were in Vice City, i loved the gang aspect of Vice City

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 am 

Beat Borderlands 2! Now is the purpose of True Vault Hunter Mode to take your leveled character through the game again with difficulty to match, or to start from scratch with a new one?

Also, around the time I hit level 33 I noticed I suddenly had 10 loot keys for the Sanctuary chest and had received about 30 badass tokens out of nowhere. Was there some reason for this that I missed?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 940  Next