Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 pm 

Evoken wrote:
King_Hands wrote:
What the hell kind of a name is Floor?

A really stupid one! But her whole family has names like that. The sister is named Ceiling, the father is named Wall, and the mother is named Roof.

Anyone else getting Neverwhere flashbacks?

But yeah, this didn't really surprise me but I did think it was a slight overreaction on both parties' ends. It is a shame since Annette was starting to show some improvement on Imaginaerum but it may be for the best at this point. It is getting really tiring to hear of Nightwish drama but hopefully they can go in a more promising direction in the near future.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygk7BGa6fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwb8c2YRGqc

Floor is amazing here. Definitely going to be seeing them.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 pm 

Nightwish posted a group picture on Facebook with Floor, and the caption says, "This is who we are now."

I guess it's permanent now?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 pm 

I hope it is, as Floor's sounding better in just the four or five shows she's done with Nightwish than Anette was in almost her entire time with the band.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 am 

Awesome. The only remaining problem now is Tuomas' head-stuck-up-his-ass approach to songwriting.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:51 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygk7BGa6fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwb8c2YRGqc

Floor is amazing here. Definitely going to be seeing them.
I am not amazed. The first song probably sounded better than Anette, but not by a mile. The second did not sound as powerful as Tarja.

And here it almost sounds like she's copying Annette, including some of the false notes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTA48yvyi5A&feature=relmfu

I thought she'd be better.

Don't get me wrong, I love Floor, especially her work with After Forever when the songwriting didn't get boring or pointless.

I guess I'm really not a Nightwish fan anymore.

This makes me more look forward to the next Tarja concert, I like her solo stuff.

CocaineCola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 am 

Pathetic pop band, I can't understand why this pop act deserved a thread on this supposedly metal forum.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 am 

elf48687789 wrote:

This makes me more look forward to the next Tarja concert, I like her solo stuff.

I'm with you mate. The moment I saw "Bye Bye beautiful" was the moment I decided to treasure their stuff with Tarja. Her solo stuff is somehow better than most of her stuff with Nightwis, still I don't like christmas songs... :lol:

Floor in Nightwish? She's gonna end up like the others, until they kill Tuomas.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 am 

CocaineCola wrote:
Pathetic pop band, I can't understand why this pop act deserved a thread on this supposedly metal forum.

Oh c'mon, that kind of comment is just silly. They're clearly a metal band, even to the dismay of some.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
elf48687789 wrote:

I'm with you mate. The moment I saw "Bye Bye beautiful" was the moment I decided to treasure their stuff with Tarja. Her solo stuff is somehow better than most of her stuff with Nightwis, still I don't like christmas songs... :lol:

Bye bye beautiful was bitchy and unnecessary, but she did respond with a song called I walk alone :p

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:59 am 

now that people have had time to post footage from the shows, look some of floor up /w nightwish. she made storytime actually...good? did i just say that? better stage presence than anette or tarja.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:01 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
she made storytime actually...good? did i just say that?

I said that, too. 11 months ago. Also now.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm 

Don't really care about Anette leaving, they'll just replace her with whomever and keep on writing a load of crap for an album. I wish Marco Hietala would leave. Don't know what keeps him there (money aside), his work in Tarot is so much better.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
now that people have had time to post footage from the shows, look some of floor up /w nightwish. she made storytime actually...good? did i just say that? better stage presence than anette or tarja.

yeah, genuintely looking forward to seeing them live with her after the footage of those shows, wouldn't have even bothered going if Anette was still singing with them.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:44 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
It doesn't matter much who's behind the mic, while Tuomas keeps writing that atrocious lollipop 'metal' he's been around since... Once? it was Century Child?

Amen, brother. I basically grew up with older Nightwish, so it's really sad to see what's happened to them...
Night-cum-wish

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
she made storytime actually...good? did i just say that?

I said that, too. 11 months ago. Also now.

Yeah well the song is much more tolerable compared to the music video with the actors going "boogity boogity" into the camera the entire duration.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 am 

Evoken wrote:
King_Hands wrote:
What the hell kind of a name is Floor?

A really stupid one! But her whole family has names like that. The sister is named Ceiling, the father is named Wall, and the mother is named Roof.

The name derives from Florentius, which means "blossoming, charming, in respect". This version of the name is mainly used in the Netherlands, and is related to Fleur (french for "flower").

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Yeah well the song is much more tolerable compared to the music video with the actors going "boogity boogity" into the camera the entire duration.

And this is why I don't watch music videos.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
It doesn't matter much who's behind the mic, while Tuomas keeps writing that atrocious lollipop 'metal' he's been around since... Once? it was Century Child?

Century Child did have some really good songs. I would say it was more Once that started the whole lollipop 'metal'. Also the whole Orchestra and choir has been worn out. Song of Myself I do enjoy then that cut out to the crap part of the song. :|

Really do I want Wishmaster and Oceanborn part two? No but something close to it would not be bad. Who knows if Floor stays maybe that's what will happen.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 am 

I made a quick post on the FFA yesterday evening after seeing the movie premiere gig with the kids. Let's elaborate a bit.

The show last night was AMAZING compared to the one we saw on the Imaginaerum album tour. The band had enormous amounts of new energy, the sound was massive, and it actually felt like a metal gig. If Floor stays with the band, you could say that Nightwish is back in business. I honestly enjoyed the whole show.

In a funny way, Nightwish is in a similar situation as Amorphis was when they recruited Tomi Joutsen: they now have a vocalist who can do everything the earlier singers did, and, to be blunt, do it quite a bit better than either one of them could themselves. Sure, some songs had their vocal lines tweaked a bit, but in a way that did not interrupt the flow, and suited the songs. Also, as my friend put it, for the first time there's a lady on the stage with pipes that make Marco sound like a bassist instead of a vocalist when he opens his mouth. In other words, she is VERY good and a perfect match with the band and the earlier material. If they have any sense, they will hold on to her with all their power.

Add to that an incredible stage charisma when compared to the earlier two ladies, and you have a winning formula. She looks like a metal vocalist, and acts like one, including honest headbanging every now and then. Sure, she has a bit of "amazonian" looks... which is reinforced by the costume choice, leather is what Doro would wear. Instead of Anette's mom-like presence, and Tarja's orange-on-a-toothpick-sized-head look with artsy fragility, Floor had the atmosphere of a biker lady from a 80s el cheapo Mad Max rip-off flick. And still, she managed to sing such things as "Slow, Love, Slow" pretty much perfectly and credibly.

On the positive side, she mentioned trying to learn Finnish. As hard as that is, just trying that might be a sign of intended longer co-operation. We can only wish.

The movie was a confusing experience. It partially looked like a collection of music video fragments, and the overall atmosphere was very surreal dark fantasy, in a Tim Burton like way. On the flip side, the framework story was a bit whiny story of a demented father and her estranged daughter, and while it's easy to see what the vision of the makers had been, it probably didn't quite achieve the intended target. It was fragmentary, confusing, and illogical, but parts of those were intentional. It would probably provide a lot more on a second viewing, and I would not call it bad. There were very nice, circus-like dark episodes, a scary symbolic snowman character, and plenty of enjoyable surrealism, sometimes bordering on the goofy, such as the toy soldiers; and knowing Holopainen's enthusiasm with the 1982 The Snowman animation movie, including the cover of "Walking in the Air", the snowman was a natural character to include, I guess. If nothing else, the movie was original.

I feel I got value for my money. Keep the lady in the band, and I'll happily see them again.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 pm 

I'm confused, they did a show with the movie afterwards? Or presented the movie with live music? Napero, you actually like Nightwish? :p

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Floor's vocal abilities and one of my biggest regrets is to never have seen After Forever live while she and Mark where together in the band. And it's not like they're going to magically reunite to play the two albums I love from them, each one of the Jansens has had its own career after their separation. To see Floor in Nightwish is like witnessing the best of two worlds colliding. On one side you have one of my favourite bands while on the other you have my favourite operatic singer. It's like a cupcake with extra topping! I'd really love to see the band doing something on studio with her, provided that it wouldn't be as bloated and "Pirates of the Caribbean" like as the last effort was or as boring as DPP was. I'd like to see the band writing something great after a decade of writing bland music, and more than that writing actual music that could take advantage of Floor's pipes.

If she's intending to learn Finnish then we could surely hope for the best, although with Tuomas' ego one never knows what to expect.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:37 pm 

I think the Imaginearium movie was done with music or done inspired by that particular album.

I wonder what Nightwish will sound like with Floor as vocalist.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 pm 

To be fair 'Once' has one of their best, if not the best, Nightwish song 'Ghost Love Score'

mooDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 pm 

raumr wrote:
Floor is my all-time favourite female singer in metal, so I guess I'm happy to see her in action again, and definitely reaching a wide audience with Nightwish. BUT Nightwish is way beneath her. I'm sorry, if you like Nightwish, great, but compared to After Forever (or even Re-Vamp), it's pretty much shit.

I feel exactly the same as you. Floor is my favorite female metal singer and I am quite happy for her and this opportunity with Nightwish but I still have mixed feelings about it and would like it if she continues with her band ReVamp (which is released their second album next year). I stopped listening to Nightwish after Tarja left as I didn't like Anette or the material they came up with in the following albums. But if Floor joins them I would definitely be interested in Nightwish again.

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm 

Anette wasn’t too bad, and I found Dark Passion Play quite enjoyable (not as much as any previous album though), but Imaginaerum was no good. The band as a whole has been circling the drain for some time and I think it’s unlikely that a new singer will change this. What it needs is a change of spirit... Tuomas added his own name to the lyrics for god’s sake!

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 am 

Saw them last night. Hadn't kept up with news so wasn't 100% sure who to expect on vocals. It was Floor, and she's looking like an awful lot more than a fill-in judging by promo pictures and so forth.

They were brilliant, by the way. Floor fit the band to a tee and took both Annette and Tarja material in her stride. That said, I felt she struggled just a tiny bit with the really high register stuff.

Also, the entire crowd was pumped when they did Ghost Love Score, and frankly they should have finished with it. The two songs afterwards left the crowd kind of going "Eh, are we still doing this?"
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 am 

When I saw her, I was absolutely blown away by how well she hit the high notes, and how long she could hold them for. It was probably the best performance I've seen from a female vocalist, and that's a comparison to Anneke Van Giersbergen. As for Ghost Love Score, it's one of my all time favourite songs (probably top 5) and seeing it live was pretty amazing. I think it's just a little underwhelming compared to how good it would be if they performed it with an actual orchestra though. So much in the song and just playing a recording was fine, but could be so much more. At the time I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven though.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Not to mention, Tarja wasn't exactly a looker herself.

I heard someone remark that her face looked like a sixpence. I lol'd. Not as much as the "Lemmy should be their new frontwoman" comment, but I still lol'd.

Still, this is kind of starting to make people think that the problem wasn't Tarja, the problem is Tuomas.

Last edited by Metantoine on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eh?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:44 pm 

I personally don't understand why all the female-fronted heavy metal bands have to be Nightwish clones with "angelic" singers with pretty, unmetal voices and frilly dresses rather than bands like Meanstreak and Messiah Force where women sang like a real heavy fucking metal singer should--loud, proud, and meaner than a rabid dog on PCP. And why not have them play all the instruments and write all the music too?

EDIT: Where the hell did this thread come back from?!

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3